Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Texans won't rule out QB
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amazingandre

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Texans won't rule out QB Reply with quote

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/texans-wont-rule-drafting-qb-195307068--nfl.html

Quote:
“Well, we always look at everything,” Kubiak said in his season-ending press conference on Monday.

Our sources wouldn’t rule out the possibility, pointing to the situations of the 49ers and Seahawks, neither of whom felt they needed a starter when they selected Colin Kaepernick and Russell Wilson in the second and third rounds, respectively, the past two years.

We hear the Texans would love to have a mobile QB like one of the two aforementioned rising stars.

“Steve Young won a Super Bowl in this offense,” noted a daily team observer. “John Elway was a really good runner. Jake Plummer was a really good runner. When you’re running a bootleg, there is only one guy there to stop the QB. A mobile QB is great for the system.”

Good read, not sure if it has any insider info. or more just speculation, but its not to read.

Some of you will bash me hard core here, but I would consider Matt Barkley if he is still around at the end of 1. Maybe even try to trade to get another 1st rounder, so we fill a need and get a qb. I like Matt, especially if he sits for a year and then competes to start. Good arm, accurate, not overly mobile, but significant upgrade over Schaub. I think he will be much better than the last few USC busts........
longhorntexan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Texans won't rule out QB Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:

Quote:
“Well, we always look at everything,” Kubiak said in his season-ending press conference on Monday.

Our sources wouldn’t rule out the possibility, pointing to the situations of the 49ers and Seahawks, neither of whom felt they needed a starter when they selected Colin Kaepernick and Russell Wilson in the second and third rounds, respectively, the past two years.

We hear the Texans would love to have a mobile QB like one of the two aforementioned rising stars.

“Steve Young won a Super Bowl in this offense,” noted a daily team observer. “John Elway was a really good runner. Jake Plummer was a really good runner. When you’re running a bootleg, there is only one guy there to stop the QB. A mobile QB is great for the system.”

Good read, not sure if it has any insider info. or more just speculation, but its not to read.

Some of you will bash me hard core here, but I would consider Matt Barkley if he is still around at the end of 1. Maybe even try to trade to get another 1st rounder, so we fill a need and get a qb. I like Matt, especially if he sits for a year and then competes to start. Good arm, accurate, not overly mobile, but significant upgrade over Schaub. I think he will be much better than the last few USC busts........

I like Barkley and I think he does represent an upgrade in a few areas that we all love to hate on Schaub for.

But he is a little one the short side (not nearly the issue it was even a few years ago), and his arm strength from what I've seen is not great (maybe like a B- compared to Schaub's C-). And the games I saw him this year (Stanford, Oregon, Arizona, all losses) late in the game he looked uncomfortable back there as he tried to drive while behind and made his share of mistakes.

That said I wouldn't be upset if we picked him up late in the first as that's where hes slotted and he does have the potential to bloom into a quality front line NFL starter. But I see the Rodgers succession plan working a lot better with him as in he takes a step away from the spotlight for a couple years and then steps up when Schaub is run out of town or hurt again.
Marco79

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EJ Manuel Cool

adopt-a-texan
ryan griffin, te: 2 receptions, 18 yards, 2 tackles
mse326

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Texans won't rule out QB Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:

Quote:

You know where I stand on this years QB crop as I've brought it up in our debates over Schaub.

Barkely is last person in this class you'd want if you are looking to replace Schaub. Saying he is slightly more mobile than Schaub is true but meaningless. He'd still pretty much be a statue. His arm strength is not better than Schaub. I know that may shock you but it really isn't. He also suffers from the same thing you take issue with in Schaub, failing in big games.

And taking him in the first is even worse.

The only two QBs even worth a first (need or lack thereof notwithstanding) are Geno and Wilson. We can get better than Barkley in the 3rd if that's you thought.

The only QB in this class that I think makes any sense is Manuel. He is the only one to combine the mobility with the ability to pass that we'd be looking for at this point.

#JDI
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco79 wrote:
EJ Manuel Cool

That's the only I would even consider going QB is if we select him later in the draft. I still dont feel we need to select one early and if you take Barkley you have to take him in round 1 or 2. He has perfect height (6'5 which is taller than Schaub) and he runs faster than Schaub, not to mention he has shown the ability to show up in big games. He also does well on playactions with is a key to our offense and he has a pretty good arm. He would be nice fit for us.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also wouldn't mind Geno Smith in the end of the 1st.

adopt-a-texan
ryan griffin, te: 2 receptions, 18 yards, 2 tackles
PAtexansFAN99

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texansfan713 wrote:
Marco79 wrote:
EJ Manuel Cool

That's the only I would even consider going QB is if we select him later in the draft. I still dont feel we need to select one early and if you take Barkley you have to take him in round 1 or 2. He has perfect height (6'5 which is taller than Schaub) and he runs faster than Schaub, not to mention he has shown the ability to show up in big games. He also does well on playactions with is a key to our offense and he has a pretty good arm. He would be nice fit for us.

I think if you look at this QB class high 2nd round value.. That being said I would have no problem taking him in the first if they can find ways to get him on the field right away. A guy like Manuel can take our team to the next level with him athletic ability.

LORK88
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texansfan713 wrote:
Marco79 wrote:
EJ Manuel Cool

I wouldn't be shocked to see him at the tail end of the first, or early 2nd. Everyone is going to be looking for the next Colin Kaepernick, and a 6' 5" QB who runs a 4.5 40 and has a cannon for an arm fits the bill. The weaknesses that got Kaep to drop - played at a small school, played in the pistol offense - aren't there with Manuel, as he played for a BCS school and ran a very pro-style offense. The better Kaep and the 49ers do, the higher Manuel's stock rises. When Manuel heads to the combine and throws the living hell out of the ball and aces his interviews, he becomes that QB everyone is pining for.

Quote:

Eugene is going #1 overall. Andy Reid is gonna see the KC version of Donovan McNabb in Smith, a very polished passer with wheels. Reid isn't going to risk year 1 with Matt Cassel, and the one thing KC fans are pining for is a QB with the pick - something they haven't drafted early in over 20 years. It's either Smith or Barkley #1, and Smith has a skillset that Reid covets.

Only way KC doesn't take him #1 is if Branden Albert signs with someone else and they have an immediate need for a LT, where Luke Joeckel fits the bill.

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
amazingandre

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want a qb in this draft. Ive wavered some lately, but Im off the qb bandwagon for now. I would prefer to upgrade our entire team more and give Schaub one more chance. Although I think he squanders it and next season we address qb then. No one pops out at me, I keep trying to find someone better than Schaub and I keep forcing someone to be that guy instead of letting someone take that role.
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
I don't want a qb in this draft. Ive wavered some lately, but Im off the qb bandwagon for now. I would prefer to upgrade our entire team more and give Schaub one more chance. Although I think he squanders it and next season we address qb then. No one pops out at me, I keep trying to find someone better than Schaub and I keep forcing someone to be that guy instead of letting someone take that role.

I'm shocked, Tim. Really, I am. Laughing

I'm still ringing the QB bell, and it has little to do with what we saw from Matt Schaub the final few weeks of the season. There is SOME to do with that, but it's not THE reason. My reasons are as so:

1. Matt is going to be 32 in the 2013 season. Now, you can point to QBs playing well into their 30s, with a few playing into their 40s...but those aren't the standard expectations. Even those who do get past 35, you see a stark decline in performance after a while. Might as well plan ahead, no?

2. Matt has never been the picture of health. Call it injury prone, call it unlucky, whatever. Truth is, guy has only started 16 games in three of his six years as the starter for the Houston Texans. Even if he does make it a full 16 for the next few years, that many injuries don't lend for a career that makes it to 38-39-40.

3. The league is starting to shift towards mobile QBs. Not runners who can throw the ball, like Vince Young and Michael Vick - but actual QBs who have some great speed, guys who can extend a play by 2-3 seconds by using their feet, guys who can represent a big chunk of a playbook based on their running skills. You adapt or you die, and if the Texans don't adapt to this on the offensive side of the ball, death is soon to follow...as Andrew Luck is one of these mobile QBs that everyone needs to take note of.

4. Again, there is an aspect of "...what have you done for me lately" here, as the latter half of the season was an example of what you don't want a QB to do. Bringing in a QB puts Matt in a pressure situation from Training Camp onwards. Matt is constantly held to the fire if he's looking over his shoulder, and we get to find out whether or not he has the fortitude to show up in pressure situations. If he doesn't rise the occasion in a controlled area such a TC/OTAs, what makes you think he will late in the 4th quarter, down by three in Foxboro with a spot at the SB on the line?

When is debatable, but I think a groomable QB who can sit and learn for 2-3 years would be beneficial for the franchise. Might not make Matty happy, but these choices need to be made in a vacuum - Matt Schaub is a player for the Texans, not THE Texans.

amazingandre

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
amazingandre wrote:

I'm shocked, Tim. Really, I am. Laughing

I'm still ringing the QB bell, and it has little to do with what we saw from Matt Schaub the final few weeks of the season. There is SOME to do with that, but it's not THE reason. My reasons are as so:

1. Matt is going to be 32 in the 2013 season. Now, you can point to QBs playing well into their 30s, with a few playing into their 40s...but those aren't the standard expectations. Even those who do get past 35, you see a stark decline in performance after a while. Might as well plan ahead, no?

2. Matt has never been the picture of health. Call it injury prone, call it unlucky, whatever. Truth is, guy has only started 16 games in three of his six years as the starter for the Houston Texans. Even if he does make it a full 16 for the next few years, that many injuries don't lend for a career that makes it to 38-39-40.

3. The league is starting to shift towards mobile QBs. Not runners who can throw the ball, like Vince Young and Michael Vick - but actual QBs who have some great speed, guys who can extend a play by 2-3 seconds by using their feet, guys who can represent a big chunk of a playbook based on their running skills. You adapt or you die, and if the Texans don't adapt to this on the offensive side of the ball, death is soon to follow...as Andrew Luck is one of these mobile QBs that everyone needs to take note of.

4. Again, there is an aspect of "...what have you done for me lately" here, as the latter half of the season was an example of what you don't want a QB to do. Bringing in a QB puts Matt in a pressure situation from Training Camp onwards. Matt is constantly held to the fire if he's looking over his shoulder, and we get to find out whether or not he has the fortitude to show up in pressure situations. If he doesn't rise the occasion in a controlled area such a TC/OTAs, what makes you think he will late in the 4th quarter, down by three in Foxboro with a spot at the SB on the line?

When is debatable, but I think a groomable QB who can sit and learn for 2-3 years would be beneficial for the franchise. Might not make Matty happy, but these choices need to be made in a vacuum - Matt Schaub is a player for the Texans, not THE Texans.

I agree with all your reasoning's, but it does the team no good to pick a player just because. There isn't one that blows us away so why force the pick? trust me, Im not behind Matt, but I think we would be better off using the picks else where and hoping we have a better shot at a good qb next season. And if Matt does get injured, we will see what we have in Yates in the bickering between us can stop Laughing
jch1911

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ ^ ^ I agree about competition for Matt and holding his feet to a warm spot (not exactly fire). But I also recognize what AA is saying (not a lot of GREAT prospects this season).

So I think we should wait for next season to secure an eventual replacement (lots of talented QB's - probably).

Once again, if EJ Manuel is sitting there in there in the 3rd or 4th, I pull the trigger. He does PA well and has good accuracy - although I am reading that he is a system QB who is not good at making reads. (That will work for us - as long as he can check down to a wide open Arian! Very Happy )
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
I agree with all your reasoning's, but it does the team no good to pick a player just because.

Agreed 10,000% with this, actually. I won't advocate taking a guy because it's the "in" thing to do, but I say we should head out to FSU for Manuel's pro day, with a lot of notebooks in hand. I say we head to Vanderbilt and get a good look at Jordan Rodgers, see if he has the same "it" factor that his brother has. Ryan Nassib, Zac Dysert, Mike Glennon - these aren't the BIG name guys in this draft (Manuel and Glennon might end up as two of 'em) so see if you can unearth a gem in there. The last few years have had some gems, guys who can really develop into franchise signalcallers - Russell Wilson, Kirk Cousins, Nick Foles - sure, there is some refining behind it, a little work to be involved before they can take on that mantle, but it IS there. The days of finding a franchise guy in the 1st round are slowly dwindling away - maybe a "day one" franchise guy is a 1st round need, but guys who can be developed are coming out at quite the pace nowadays.

Bring the guys in to Houston for a complete private workout with simulated film study and a complete work through on the Texans passing tree. Put them through a full day's worth of work, just let 'em throw till their arms are sore, let 'em watch film till their heads are spinning. If nobody stands out, no harm, no foul. You are set either way. If one stands out? You get a leg up on the next generation of Texans' football.

Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco79 wrote:

Funny how quickly we forget the Dolphins laughable pick of Pat White in 2nd round 2009. Took all of one offseason for DCs to adapt and scheme the Wildcat out of existence which made this pick all that much more ridiculous. The pistol won't go as quick as the Wildcat, but we also already saw RGIII go down, and lets see what a full season of hits do to Wilson and Kaepernick. I don't disagree that some team will see visions of a RG3 type turnaround behind Geno Smith, but there is at least a full round gap in talent (I say more like 2 rounds) between them and likely much more as RG3 showed steady projectable improvement throughout his college career, not a 5 game losing streak once he actually started playing decent defenses capped by a bowl game thud against Syracuse. Geno is also vastly miscast as a running Qb as 335 yards in 3 years isn't exactly RG3's 2,254 and world class speed. I would have thought we would have stopped stereotyping running Qbs based upon 1 characteristic by now. I will double over with laughter if the Jags think Geno is the answer at #2 after running Leftwich and Garrard out of town.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
amazingandre

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
Marco79 wrote:

Funny how quickly we forget the Dolphins laughable pick of Pat White in 2nd round 2009. Took all of one offseason for DCs to adapt and scheme the Wildcat out of existence which made this pick all that much more ridiculous. The pistol won't go as quick as the Wildcat, but we also already saw RGIII go down, and lets see what a full season of hits do to Wilson and Kaepernick. I don't disagree that some team will see visions of a RG3 type turnaround behind Geno Smith, but there is at least a full round gap in talent (I say more like 2 rounds) between them and likely much more as RG3 showed steady projectable improvement throughout his college career, not a 5 game losing streak once he actually started playing decent defenses capped by a bowl game thud against Syracuse. Geno is also vastly miscast as a running Qb as 335 yards in 3 years isn't exactly RG3's 2,254 and world class speed. I would have thought we would have stopped stereotyping running Qbs based upon 1 characteristic by now. I will double over with laughter if the Jags think Geno is the answer at #2 after running Leftwich and Garrard out of town.

I agree, Im not very big on guys like Smith, RG3 or Vick. I rather a pocket passes with athleticism to escape and pick up yards every now and then. Give me a guy like Wilson, MINUS the option read or a guy like Rodgers or Brees (Im not talking top 3 qbs, just illustrating the type of qb that would work). Someone who is a good passer, but can get a few yards every now and then and is savvy enough to move in the pocket.

The boot leg we run would be 10000 times better if we had a qb who could get outside faster and pull it down and run every now and then. That would force safeties to decide early to come up or fall back, and this would open things up even more deep. Schaub's lack of ability to even threaten to run means safeties don't even have to watch him, they can just stay deep. Even if Schaub ran once, teams wouldn't change their idea that he won't run, they will allow his 5 yard gain once a game (but he can't even give us that).

But like I said earlier, there is no qb, at this point, in this draft that excites me enough to just dump Schaub. I still would prefer Yates over these rookies, but Im the very small minority on that and we won't get into that again.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: