Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Bruce Arians Staff Thread; Updated Page 1
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
stchamp98


Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

Joined: 11 Apr 2005
Posts: 52981
Location: Havre, Montana
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know anything about Drake but he's got a lot of experience and a few of those Bears wide outs have grown under him. I'm not worried about that spot though, we've got more than enough talent to overcome an issues IMO.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stchamp98


Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

Joined: 11 Apr 2005
Posts: 52981
Location: Havre, Montana
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBus wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
If I'm alone in this that's fine but I'm kind of excited about Todd Bowles. I think he's a quality coach.

I'm right with you. The stint at the Eagles shouldn't sour anyone on the fact that Bowles is a very good coach who will continue to get the most out of this defense.


That was just a bad situation all around. Took over a team in turmoil in-season and with a lame duck head coach everybody just gave up. A lot of the talent there is completely overrated too IMO. I think Bowles can do the job here. I'm excited to find out.

Goodwin, however, is a waste of a job title and a decent amount of cash. He'd better have a serious impact on our offensive line to make up for it and I mean serious.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AZPSquared


Joined: 17 Oct 2012
Posts: 1416
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
TBus wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
If I'm alone in this that's fine but I'm kind of excited about Todd Bowles. I think he's a quality coach.

I'm right with you. The stint at the Eagles shouldn't sour anyone on the fact that Bowles is a very good coach who will continue to get the most out of this defense.


That was just a bad situation all around. Took over a team in turmoil in-season and with a lame duck head coach everybody just gave up. A lot of the talent there is completely overrated too IMO. I think Bowles can do the job here. I'm excited to find out.

Goodwin, however, is a waste of a job title and a decent amount of cash. He'd better have a serious impact on our offensive line to make up for it and I mean serious.


I think we should all give Goodwin a chance before we judge. He could surprise us (I know he won't be calling plays)
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
apollo14000


Joined: 07 Jan 2006
Posts: 4221
Location: PA
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that Bruce Arians hired a meaningless OC just puts a ton of pressure on himself. He's calling the plays. If the offense screws up, nobody is going to blame Goodwin like we blamed Miller. It's all on the HC. If Arians calls good plays nobody is going to care about the meaningless OC. It makes me think Arians will do a good deal of delegating on defense. I get the feeling Bowles could be given power over our D like Horton had.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
khodder


Moderator - MVP
Joined: 19 Dec 2005
Posts: 50829
Location: New New York
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drake Joined the Bears in 2004. He coached their receivers for 9 seasons.

Not a lot of talent, Bobby Wade, Bernard Berrian, David Terrell, Justin Gage. Mushin Muhammaed arrived at age 32.

Berrian improved every year under Drake. Then he left and it was left up to the likes of Hester, Knox, Rashied Davis, Marty Booker and Brandon Lloyd.

Earl Bennett was there and did OK got 50 grabs one year.

Wasn't until 2012 with Marshall and Jeffrey that there was ANY talent at WR for the Bears.

Coached Roy Williams at Texas. Coached Kwame Cavil who had a 100 catch season with him as WR's coach. Coached Kyle Shannahan at Texas.
_________________

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
khodder


Moderator - MVP
Joined: 19 Dec 2005
Posts: 50829
Location: New New York
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZPSquared wrote:
I think we should all give Goodwin a chance before we judge. He could surprise us (I know he won't be calling plays)


What is the point of hiring him as an offensive coordinator? He is not qualified to do anything but coach the offensive line right now. I don't care if that is all he ends up doing, it is still a complete waste of the carrot that is the offensive coordinator job title.

That and the fact that the Colts OL was a shambles last year.
_________________

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
stchamp98


Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

Joined: 11 Apr 2005
Posts: 52981
Location: Havre, Montana
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZPSquared wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
TBus wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
If I'm alone in this that's fine but I'm kind of excited about Todd Bowles. I think he's a quality coach.

I'm right with you. The stint at the Eagles shouldn't sour anyone on the fact that Bowles is a very good coach who will continue to get the most out of this defense.


That was just a bad situation all around. Took over a team in turmoil in-season and with a lame duck head coach everybody just gave up. A lot of the talent there is completely overrated too IMO. I think Bowles can do the job here. I'm excited to find out.

Goodwin, however, is a waste of a job title and a decent amount of cash. He'd better have a serious impact on our offensive line to make up for it and I mean serious.


I think we should all give Goodwin a chance before we judge. He could surprise us (I know he won't be calling plays)


Surprise us how? He's not going to do anything...He's a line coach, that's all this man is. If he does a good job with the offensive line then great but his being an offensive coordinator is nothing more than an exotic knock-knock joke.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AZPSquared


Joined: 17 Oct 2012
Posts: 1416
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
AZPSquared wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
TBus wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
If I'm alone in this that's fine but I'm kind of excited about Todd Bowles. I think he's a quality coach.

I'm right with you. The stint at the Eagles shouldn't sour anyone on the fact that Bowles is a very good coach who will continue to get the most out of this defense.


That was just a bad situation all around. Took over a team in turmoil in-season and with a lame duck head coach everybody just gave up. A lot of the talent there is completely overrated too IMO. I think Bowles can do the job here. I'm excited to find out.

Goodwin, however, is a waste of a job title and a decent amount of cash. He'd better have a serious impact on our offensive line to make up for it and I mean serious.


I think we should all give Goodwin a chance before we judge. He could surprise us (I know he won't be calling plays)


Surprise us how? He's not going to do anything...He's a line coach, that's all this man is. If he does a good job with the offensive line then great but his being an offensive coordinator is nothing more than an exotic knock-knock joke.


We don't know enough about him to judge him. Obviously Arians trusts him enough.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
khodder


Moderator - MVP
Joined: 19 Dec 2005
Posts: 50829
Location: New New York
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arians playcalling;

2001 Browns 417/934 56/44
2002 Browns 406/993 59/41
2003 Browns 412/961 57/43
2007 Steelers 511/1000 49/51
2008 Steelers 460/1015 55/45
2009 Steelers 428/1014 - 58/42
2010 Steelers 471/993 53/47
2011 Steelers 434/1015 57/43
2012 Colts 440/1109 60/40

Overall 3979/9034 56/44

Running Plays (Includes QB scrambles) over Total Plays.

Only twice has it dropped past the 55/45 mark and he has tended to sit around the 57+ area 5/9 years have been more than this.

Real outlier during his first season with the Steelers.

Only once has his team averaged more than 4.2 YPC on the ground.

Overall, does not give me faith that we are going to want to run the ball anymore this season than we have in the past under Ken Whisenhunt.
_________________

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
apollo14000


Joined: 07 Jan 2006
Posts: 4221
Location: PA
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
Overall, does not give me faith that we are going to want to run the ball anymore this season than we have in the past under Ken Whisenhunt.


I personally don't care. We have Fitz, Floyd, Roberts, and Housler. We should be a passing offense. We just need to run the ball effectively and we don't need 50/50 playcalling to accomplish that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
khodder


Moderator - MVP
Joined: 19 Dec 2005
Posts: 50829
Location: New New York
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apollo14000 wrote:
khodder wrote:
Overall, does not give me faith that we are going to want to run the ball anymore this season than we have in the past under Ken Whisenhunt.


I personally don't care. We have Fitz, Floyd, Roberts, and Housler. We should be a passing offense. We just need to run the ball effectively and we don't need 50/50 playcalling to accomplish that.


I agree. But to be a heavy pass offense you need a QB to get the ball to your receivers. Right now we don't have one that is going to succeed in the Arians offense. You also note that we need to run the ball effectively. That is true what we need to do is keep the offense on schedule on early downs. The same message as I gave with Whisenhunt last season because we are going to be watching the same offense. The same offense that rarely uses their backs in the receiving game which means we get into big holes on 3rd and 8+ becasue with the Arians offense what you will see is a 5/7 step drop pass pattern that will leave 6 men in protection, the 5 on the OL and a back. Your 4 guys in patterns will all be running past the first down marker.

It leaves you in a big hole, you have to either force the ball into coverage or you have to take a sack. It is not a good place to be in, and it is the same place we have seen this offense is over the past 3-4 seasons.

We HAVE to run the ball well on first downs otherwise we end up in holes that we cannot get ourselves out of.
_________________

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
iRobot


Joined: 17 Nov 2011
Posts: 789
Location: Mesa, AZ
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/01/18/lets-say-goodbye-to-darryl-drake-thats-what-i-said-thats-what-i-said/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stchamp98


Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

Joined: 11 Apr 2005
Posts: 52981
Location: Havre, Montana
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZPSquared wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
AZPSquared wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
TBus wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
If I'm alone in this that's fine but I'm kind of excited about Todd Bowles. I think he's a quality coach.

I'm right with you. The stint at the Eagles shouldn't sour anyone on the fact that Bowles is a very good coach who will continue to get the most out of this defense.


That was just a bad situation all around. Took over a team in turmoil in-season and with a lame duck head coach everybody just gave up. A lot of the talent there is completely overrated too IMO. I think Bowles can do the job here. I'm excited to find out.

Goodwin, however, is a waste of a job title and a decent amount of cash. He'd better have a serious impact on our offensive line to make up for it and I mean serious.


I think we should all give Goodwin a chance before we judge. He could surprise us (I know he won't be calling plays)


Surprise us how? He's not going to do anything...He's a line coach, that's all this man is. If he does a good job with the offensive line then great but his being an offensive coordinator is nothing more than an exotic knock-knock joke.


We don't know enough about him to judge him. Obviously Arians trusts him enough.


1. You didn't know anything about Kirby Wilson and you had no problem passing judgement on him.
2. Big deal, Whiz trusted Russ Grimm too. Raise your hand if you want him back.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AZPSquared


Joined: 17 Oct 2012
Posts: 1416
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
AZPSquared wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
AZPSquared wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
TBus wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
If I'm alone in this that's fine but I'm kind of excited about Todd Bowles. I think he's a quality coach.

I'm right with you. The stint at the Eagles shouldn't sour anyone on the fact that Bowles is a very good coach who will continue to get the most out of this defense.


That was just a bad situation all around. Took over a team in turmoil in-season and with a lame duck head coach everybody just gave up. A lot of the talent there is completely overrated too IMO. I think Bowles can do the job here. I'm excited to find out.

Goodwin, however, is a waste of a job title and a decent amount of cash. He'd better have a serious impact on our offensive line to make up for it and I mean serious.


I think we should all give Goodwin a chance before we judge. He could surprise us (I know he won't be calling plays)


Surprise us how? He's not going to do anything...He's a line coach, that's all this man is. If he does a good job with the offensive line then great but his being an offensive coordinator is nothing more than an exotic knock-knock joke.


We don't know enough about him to judge him. Obviously Arians trusts him enough.


1. You didn't know anything about Kirby Wilson and you had no problem passing judgement on him.
2. Big deal, Whiz trusted Russ Grimm too. Raise your hand if you want him back.


1. Kirby Wilson was going to be calling the offense not Horton. Instead we have Arians calling the plays not Goodwin.
2. Actually weren't there reports saying that Grimm wanted out partly because he wasn't being allowed more say? I'd say that Whiz didn't trust him enough with the offense.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
khodder


Moderator - MVP
Joined: 19 Dec 2005
Posts: 50829
Location: New New York
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZPSquared wrote:
2. Actually weren't there reports saying that Grimm wanted out partly because he wasn't being allowed more say? I'd say that Whiz didn't trust him enough with the offense.


Yet this is the exact same position we are going to be putting Goodwin into, and Goodwin is actually going to be the OC, not the Offensive Line Coach as Russ Grimm was.

So are you implying here that you feel that Goodwin is going to need "more input" on the offense?
_________________

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 7 of 17

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group