Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Browns Player Notes
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dawgpoun8017

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:50 am    Post subject: Browns Player Notes Reply with quote

Brandon Weeden - QB - Browns

According to CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora, the new Browns regime "badly" wants to upgrade on Brandon Weeden.
It's no secret that new VP of Player Personnel Mike Lombardi isn't a Weeden supporter, and also worth noting that La Canfora and Lombardi were tight at NFL Network as tag-team reporters. So La Canfora's information here is probably solid. Weeden is well aware he'll face a challenge for his starting job in 2013 training camp. The challenger will likely be acquired via trade or the draft.
Source: CBS Sports

Brandon Weeden acknowledges that he will be competing to save his job under the Browns' new coaching staff.
"I expect competition," said a down-to-earth Weeden. "Thatís the way professional sports are. Unless youíre Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees or these guys, you might as well expect for somebody to try to come take your job." New coach Rob Chudzinski has called it "premature" to name Weeden the starting quarterback for next season, and owner Jimmy Haslam suggested someone will be brought in to go against him. The Browns have the No. 6 pick in this yearís draft, but seem more likely to pursue a quarterback via trade or free agency.
Source: Akron Beacon-Journal

Greg Little - WR - Browns

ESPN Cleveland believes Greg Little could be moved to the slot if the Browns sign a veteran receiver in free agency.
Little spent time in the slot as a rookie and in last year's camp, so it wouldn't be a blind transition. Billed as an after-the-catch threat coming out of college, the 6-foot-2, 220-pound Little theoretically makes sense as a rugged slot man, but has hardly been a YAC dynamo through his first two years in the league. Regardless of whether he's on the outside or in the slot, Little should be a big part of the Browns offense in 2013 after coming on late last season.
Source: ESPN Cleveland

Chris Gocong - LB - Browns

The Browns are expected to ask OLB Chris Gocong to slash his $4.45 million base salary.
He's also due a $100K workout bonus. Gocong, 29, is a questionable fit for new coordinator Ray Horton's 3-4 defense, and he has a bloated base salary coming off of a torn Achilles'. If he doesn't accept the pay-cut proposal, the Browns probably wouldn't think twice about cutting ties with Gocong for good.
Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer

Montario Hardesty - RB - Browns

The Cleveland Plain Dealer says the Browns' new coaching staff is "spending a lot of time" evaluating Montario Hardesty.
Hardesty is due $575,000 entering his contract year. The Browns are reportedly looking for a change-of-pace back behind Trent Richardson, and it remains to be seen if Hardesty can be that guy. Impending free agent Brandon Jackson isn't expected back, and plodder Chris Ogbonnaya is a restricted free agent.

Jordan Cameron - TE - Browns

The Cleveland Plain Dealer says the new coaching staff "likes" Jordan Cameron, but the team will "make a significant move" for another tight end.
Cameron profiles prototypically for the Rob Chudzinski-Norv Turner offense as a big, athletic player who can stretch the field, but he is still very raw and unproven. Beat writers Terry Pluto and Mary Kay Cabot have mentioned Martellus Bennett, Dustin Keller, and Delanie Walker as free-agent options, while the draft is loaded with pass-catching tight end prospects.
Related: Delanie Walker, Martellus Bennett, Dustin Keller

James-Michael Johnson - LB - Browns

Browns LB James-Michael Johnson is a "top bet" to start at inside linebacker in the team's new 3-4 defense.
Johnson and D'Qwell Jackson are expected to man the inside spots, while the outside spots appear to be wide open aside from Jabaal Sheard, who will try to convert from 4-3 defensive end. Johnson ended his rookie year on injured reserve with a knee injury, but did not require surgery. He should be all set for OTAs.

Ben Watson - TE - Browns

The Cleveland Plain Dealer says impending free agent TEs Ben Watson and Alex Smith are unlikely to be re-signed by the Browns.
Watson recently turned 32, and he could be an option to return to New England as a backup and locker room presence. Smith, 31 in May, hasn't been the same player since leaving Tampa Bay in 2009, but he has the ability to play both tight end and fullback. Cleveland is expected to give third-year TE Jordan Cameron every opportunity, but the Plain Dealer wouldn't rule out the Browns targeting Martellus Bennett or Dustin Keller in free agency.
Related: Jordan Cameron, Dustin Keller, Martellus Bennett, Alex Smith

Mohamed Massaquoi - WR - Browns

The Cleveland Plain Dealer agrees that impending free agent Mohamed Massaquoi is unlikely to be brought back.
It's time for Cleveland to move on from the former second-round pick out of Georgia. Massaquoi has battled injuries throughout his career, and hasn't played a 16-game season since his rookie year. Lacking durability and physicality in his game, Massaquoi will be a blip on the NFL's free-agent radar screen.

Owen Marecic - RB - Browns

Browns FB Owen Marecic's roster spot appears to be in jeopardy for the second straight offseason.
Marecic appeared in ten games in 2012, but lost his starting job and will be "hard-pressed to get it back," according to the Cleveland Plain Dealer. Marecic was a 2011 fourth-round pick out of Stanford, and the Browns could turn back to the draft for fullback help. They also have H-back Brad Smelley on the roster.

Brandon Jackson - RB - Browns

Impending free agent RB Brandon Jackson is not expected back with the Browns.
Jackson was a free-agent bust after inking a two-year, $4.5 million deal prior to the 2011 season. He missed the entire first season due to turf toe, and in 2012, Jackson was a regular inactive, appearing in just two games. The Browns are said to be looking for a change-of-pace back in the draft or free agency.

I think we see alot of stuff that we thought would happen I.E. little going into the slot, MoMass prlly not being brought back ETC.
Thomas5737

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marecic's job may be in jeopardy?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading about the feelings towards Weeden.....The lack of quality backups or truly anyone to give Weeden a run in FA....I'm really starting feel an Alex Smith movement to Cleveland is a true possibility. Unless the Ravens can't figure out a way to sign Flacco without KEEPING IT ALL TOGETHER.The next couple of weeks are going to be weird to say the least. Not only in Cleveland, but everywhere in the NFL.

R.I.P. Brother Crakburn - Never Bark in the Dark Brother Crakburn....For all of us Dawgs will be barking to the heavens for you.
Entropy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas5737 wrote:

Yes, and apparently "for the second straight offseason" since he was competing with NOBODY after the 2011 season.

Says a lot huh? Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand the hate for Weeden..

He's a perfect fit for this offense.

<3 JF
Thomas5737

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entropy wrote:
Thomas5737 wrote:

Yes, and apparently "for the second straight offseason" since he was competing with NOBODY after the 2011 season.

Says a lot huh? Laughing

Yeah, I think they gave him a pass his rookie season. I think there are certainly some flaws in that article.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pnies20 wrote:
I don't understand the hate for Weeden..

He's a perfect fit for this offense.

I like Weeden and have a feeling it could all work out in this offense.

I also have a feeling we will never know because there are other plans.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Weeden but I would love to upgrade as well, and I have no problem upgrading the position. However, I'm just not sure how we will do that effectively, there aren't any free agents I like that much, and if there was, what are the chances of them coming here anyway?

Our best option is the draft, but apparently therei isn't anyone that good in it, so the options are trade, or keep Weeden along with sign g a free agent or drafting someone at around his level of play......

I do not think we are onto a winner with our qb situation at the moment.
Dawgpoun8017

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a feeling were gonna bring in Alex smith and I'm really not sure how much of an upgrade he is
pnies20

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawgpoun8017 wrote:
I have a feeling were gonna bring in Alex smith and I'm really not sure how much of an upgrade he is

Well I wonder if my prediction will come true: Alex smith and Bray.

<3 JF
KamTrus20

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we are looking at upgrading #2 RB even though Richardson is capable of dominating the snaps at RB and Montario Hardesty proved to be a breath of fresh air when he was in the game. Not only that but we are looking at moving a 2nd year WR down the depth chart after he starting coming on late in the season all this while missing his entire senior year. It also looks like we are going to do anything and everything even if it means something drastic to replace Brandon Weeden. We also cut Frostee Rucker as well as looking into slashing Gocong.

So is the #1 goal to win or just get rid of anything that can be credited back to Heckart? It looks like they want to put a winning team on the field but they clear as day want it with their guys and their schemes their way even if it is at the expense of a few more years.

Jamison on the sig
Entropy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawgpoun8017 wrote:

I'm not really sure how much of an upgrade he is either, but I do like the idea of having a QB with experience winning in the NFL, who's not at the end of his career, on the roster competing with Weeden. I'm not sure who else fits that bill as well as Smith.

I think, at this time in the development of the team, we need to put some vet players in positions to compete with the inexperienced players. I also would like to see a vet TE, a vet WR, and 2 or 3 vets added on defense as well (maybe more).

I know we have tried similar things in the past with poor results and QB controversies. But those results were a product of the quality of the competition and not competition itself.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KamTrus20 wrote:
So we are looking at upgrading #2 RB even though Richardson is capable of dominating the snaps at RB and Montario Hardesty proved to be a breath of fresh air when he was in the game. Not only that but we are looking at moving a 2nd year WR down the depth chart after he starting coming on late in the season all this while missing his entire senior year. It also looks like we are going to do anything and everything even if it means something drastic to replace Brandon Weeden. We also cut Frostee Rucker as well as looking into slashing Gocong.

So is the #1 goal to win or just get rid of anything that can be credited back to Heckart? It looks like they want to put a winning team on the field but they clear as day want it with their guys and their schemes their way even if it is at the expense of a few more years.

Yeah, agreed.. I'm not liking what I just read.

John Frusciante FTW
Red Hot Chili Peppers FTW
Entropy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KamTrus20 wrote:

I think these reports are trying to lead you to the conclusion you came to, that the release of Rucker is the obvious sign that the Browns will now get rid of any player tied to Heckert so the new regime will get all the credit for whatever happens with a team devoid of talent, right?

It's just complete BS. Rucker obviously is not a "multi front/hybrid 3-4" type lineman, so they parted ways with him. But that story doesn't paint the Browns in a negative light at all...so they embellished it.

And hey, while we're making up negative things about the Browns, because that's just fun and it garners interest, let's also imagine the logistics of how each player will be replaced.

Gocong is coming off an achilles injury, but let's not talk about that. Instead let's set the stage for any future events, like reduced playing time or his release, to be caused by his ties to Heckert.

Hardesty will clearly be replaced because of his ties to Heckert too. Hell, there are only 40+ players on the roster tied to Heckert, so it will be easy to replace them all so several years from now, when the rebuild is complete, we'll all look back and know that we had a winning season exclusively because of the current regime. There will be absolutely zero issues will all the losing between now and then.

It makes perfect sense that the media is setting the stage for this ridiculous and completely unheard of series of events that will never happen. Hell, there will be plenty of negative stuff that actually will happen that they can spin to justify this bogus line of thinking in the future. And if not, they'll just misdirect to another bogus line of thinking. It's a win-win for the hate-mongers.

Here's some equally accurate headlines they have considered, or will consider in the future:

Lombardi cuts All-Pro DE Frostee Rucker in favor of warm poo

Browns forfeit game after Heckert purge leaves only 8 players on the roster

Browns win tainted by Banner's inability to make team score enough points

Sources say Lombardi draft picks "only good if someone else drafted them"

Haslam, avid money-hater, expected to hand over control of Browns to Lombardi

League sources say Lombardi 90% done deal to start at QB for Browns vs Steelers, says "I want all the credit"-Banner 84% done deal to start at WR

Browns hate at all-time high, in unrelated story- Plain Dealer and ESPNCleveland website interest also at all-time high

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What quarterback could the Browns trade for? Matt Flynn? Who are other options?

Smack on the sig.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: