Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Michael Lombardi - New VP of Player Personnel
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NewWorldOrder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must be the only guy in this forum that thinks Joe Banner is a genius for hiring Mike Lombardi as VICE president of player personnel. The vice president of anything really doesn't do anything, UNLESS the president gets assassinated. Banner just took out an insurance policy on his life...Who would want to assassinate Banner, knowing full well that Lombardi would take over the reins???
On a more serious note, this is a real head scratcher. The title of VP of PP makes me think that his role may be limited and/or reduced with PP decisions. The collaborative effort is not necessarily a bad idea, IF they actually can work as a cohesive unit. Our coaching staff should have a MAJOR say in whom we draft. If they do not, then we are seriously screwed. Right now instead of feeling excited about the countdown to the draft, AKA the Browns' Super Bowl, I feel like I'm waiting 97 days to get an enema. I suppose only time will tell. I hope that Banslem is getting this right...GO BROWNS!
brownie man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still hoping we bring in a GM..
Dropkick_pride

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brownie man wrote:

Halsem in his intro repeatedly referred to hiring Lombardi as GM, I didnt hear him say VPofPP once... I wouldnt expect another 'gm' to be hired.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NewWorldOrder wrote:
I must be the only guy in this forum that thinks Joe Banner is a genius for hiring Mike Lombardi as VICE president of player personnel. The vice president of anything really doesn't do anything, UNLESS the president gets assassinated. Banner just took out an insurance policy on his life...Who would want to assassinate Banner, knowing full well that Lombardi would take over the reins???
On a more serious note, this is a real head scratcher. The title of VP of PP makes me think that his role may be limited and/or reduced with PP decisions. The collaborative effort is not necessarily a bad idea, IF they actually can work as a cohesive unit. Our coaching staff should have a MAJOR say in whom we draft. If they do not, then we are seriously screwed. Right now instead of feeling excited about the countdown to the draft, AKA the Browns' Super Bowl, I feel like I'm waiting 97 days to get an enema. I suppose only time will tell. I hope that Banslem is getting this right...GO BROWNS!

no the genius part is giving the guy only one set of responsibilities. Why hire one guy and hope he is good at several things, when you can hire multiple guys and hope they are great at one thing. Its like a business. You dont hire one guy and hope he is really good at selling items, purchasing items for the business, hiring ppl for the business, advertising for the business and etc...that would spread that one guy very thin. You hire one guy to be the go to go for selling stuff, a guy to be the go to guy on what products the business to purchase,a guy who can manage the employees and etc. Like you dont see good restureants having just one manager run the whole thing. You will have a general manager, a kitchen manager, a food manager, and etc.

I think you break up the parts and you bring in ppl to run those parts and be like a team.

Lombardi previous stops he always had multipe roles. I think he could be good at just being involved in scouting and looking at talent. In other jobs he worked in those areas but always had to work with the coaches, had to be part of the contracts and negotiations, and other crap like that.

like his easiest jobs, he was in charge of helping the Rams replacing their HC in 1996, what does he do? he helps the team find a HC who leads the rams to a super bowl victory two years later. In 1998 when his was mainly the director of pro personnel he helps draft one of the best offensive linemen in eagles history, a damn good LB who played great for two different teams, and a DB who had a very solid 11year career.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dropkick_pride wrote:
brownie man wrote:

Halsem in his intro repeatedly referred to hiring Lombardi as GM, I didnt hear him say VPofPP once... I wouldnt expect another 'gm' to be hired.

it sounds like a group of ppl will act as the GM. It sounds like responsibilities of the GMs job has been broken up and been given to other ppl. I think thats best

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buno67 wrote:
Dropkick_pride wrote:
brownie man wrote:

it sounds like a group of ppl will act as the GM. It sounds like responsibilities of the GMs job has been broken up and been given to other ppl. I think thats best

I dont know if it will best, but we will see. Very Happy Cant be worse than Kokinus!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dropkick_pride wrote:
buno67 wrote:
Dropkick_pride wrote:
brownie man wrote:

I dont know if it will best, but we will see. Very Happy Cant be worse than Kokinus!

see that didnt work out because you gave someone to much power IMO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buno67 wrote:
Dropkick_pride wrote:
buno67 wrote:
Dropkick_pride wrote:
brownie man wrote:

see that didnt work out because you gave someone to much power IMO

and it wasnt the GM.... Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buno67 wrote:
Dropkick_pride wrote:
brownie man wrote:

I especially liked how Banner said that if 2 people really like a guy and 2 others really don't, they should be looking at someone else.

If there was a person with final say, he could potentially pick someone that few others (even nobody) really wanted.

I'm pretty sure that is exactly what has happened many times in the past with the Browns as well as in the NFL.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buno67 wrote:
Dropkick_pride wrote:
brownie man wrote:

Halsem in his intro repeatedly referred to hiring Lombardi as GM, I didnt hear him say VPofPP once..
. I wouldnt expect another 'gm' to be hired.

haslem didnt it say it, but Hensley did....http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8856520/cleveland-browns-name-mike-lombardi-vice-president-player-personnel
TeHDruiD

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entropy wrote:
buno67 wrote:
Dropkick_pride wrote:
brownie man wrote:

I especially liked how Banner said that if 2 people really like a guy and 2 others really don't, they should be looking at someone else.

If there was a person with final say, he could potentially pick someone that few others (even nobody) really wanted.

I'm pretty sure that is exactly what has happened many times in the past with the Browns as well as in the NFL.

Don't forget that Lombardi didn't like Haden. So he votes no, Banner votes no and we don't have Haden. And this is what worries the heck out of me about this philosophy. Lombardi has proven to be a hack when it comes to evaluating talent. We could miss out on good players because he doesn't think they're good
hornbybrown

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took awhile but i found it

Adopt a Brown 2014
Miles Austin 16 Recs 169 Yds 2 TD's
Pierre Desir
mas_atc

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TeHDruiD wrote:
Entropy wrote:
buno67 wrote:
Dropkick_pride wrote:
brownie man wrote:

Don't forget that Lombardi didn't like Haden. So he votes no, Banner votes no and we don't have Haden. And this is what worries the heck out of me about this philosophy. Lombardi has proven to be a hack when it comes to evaluating talent. We could miss out on good players because he doesn't think they're good

http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/f4/earl-thomas-s-cb-univ-of-texas-my-surprise-pick-at-26-a-149456.html

he liked Earl Thomas... he's been ok from that draft. Would not have solved our cb issue, but maybe our free safety issue.
buno67

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TeHDruiD wrote:
Entropy wrote:
buno67 wrote:
Dropkick_pride wrote:
brownie man wrote:

dont start this game...

lets say the Browns trade out of #6 because they dont like Haden. Well the the next team to draft a DB was the pats with McCourty. So say we get the Pats 1st, their 2nd, and another pick. rumors are ML like Wilson. So the Browns draft could of been. traded down and gained a lot of picks. The Browns end up getting Kyle Wilson, TJ Ward, Gronk (Pats 2nd rd pick) Hell with with ML the browns never waste a pick on Hardesty.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hornbybrown wrote:
Took awhile but i found it

Speak to the hand

Adopt a Brown: QB Brandon Weeden
247/433 57% 2820yds 6.5avg 13 TD 15 Int

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 9 of 18

Jump to: