Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Michael Lombardi - New VP of Player Personnel
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cortes02

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps this is a clever cover up for Haslem. Make people think that Banner and Lombardi are intregal parts of making draft choices when in actuality, they are just figureheads and Haslem is the one who will make all of the draft picks ala Jerry Jones. Why take the heat like Jerry Jones has in the past for some of his draft picks when you can make all of the picks as owner and tell everyone else that it was a "group" decision. Just throwing that out there.

Peace!!

Sig By Kempes
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CleBrowns07

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cortes02 wrote:
Perhaps this is a clever cover up for Haslem. Make people think that Banner and Lombardi are intregal parts of making draft choices when in actuality, they are just figureheads and Haslem is the one who will make all of the draft picks ala Jerry Jones. Why take the heat like Jerry Jones has in the past for some of his draft picks when you can make all of the picks as owner and tell everyone else that it was a "group" decision. Just throwing that out there.

Peace!!

because then he wouldn't be able to take full credit if all his selections were booms

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StewieRules wrote:
For those of you who will undoubtedly try to talk yourselves into thinking this hire isn't as disastrous as it seems, I give you the complete Mike Lombardi draft history

http://www.theclevelandfan.com/cleveland-browns/1-browns-archive/10640-mike-lombardi-for-the-record

The last of a long long long line of his abject failures - Jamarcus Russel.

I had a queasy feeling in my gut when Banner was announced as the new President; too many bad articles from the Philly faithful. This now confirms my fears ~

Been following this franchise since 1981. And THIS is the latest & greatest. I'm not a praying man but ......Lord give me strength!!

I hate this hire as much as anyone, but to say he was completely responsible for Jamarcus Russel is to say Al Davis never had anything to do with Raider's draft picks.

Season tickets, section 315, since 06
See you in the Muni with the Tailgate DJs
fsubrowns9510

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Productiondawg wrote:
StewieRules wrote:
For those of you who will undoubtedly try to talk yourselves into thinking this hire isn't as disastrous as it seems, I give you the complete Mike Lombardi draft history

http://www.theclevelandfan.com/cleveland-browns/1-browns-archive/10640-mike-lombardi-for-the-record

I had a queasy feeling in my gut when Banner was announced as the new President; too many bad articles from the Philly faithful. This now confirms my fears ~

Been following this franchise since 1981. And THIS is the latest & greatest. I'm not a praying man but ......Lord give me strength!!

I hate this hire as much as anyone, but to say he was completely responsible for Jamarcus Russel is to say Al Davis never had anything to do with Raider's draft picks.

This.

Browns Forum HOF Member Class of 2011
StewieRules

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

With all due respect it says no such thing - can you say definitively that Davis ran the draft, including that one, ala Jerry Jones? That he leaned over and told Lombardi "Pick him?" You cannot.

Bottom line is that Lombardi's body of work, if you can even call it that, is pathetic. With numerous teams. And now he's back.

Expect more inglorious names to be added to his roster of failure.
UKClevelander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dislike Lombardi but I am hating on the "collective decision" idea even more. I am especially wary of draft day trades.

How can collective decisions occur when the draft is in action? For example: 3 minutes before the Browns have to hand in their first round pick. They have just lost their 1a and 1b picks, and they have 2 calls on the line with different deals on the table. What happens then?

Lombardi: Er I think we should deal with the Cowboys and get a 2nd round pick this year and an 1st round pick the following year

Banner: I think we should deal with the Saints and get their 1st round pick and a 2nd next year.

Chud: Just get me a decent player that I can use.

Haslam: I think we should draft the fastest Kicker in the draft. I thought long and hard and its the future; its the WildKick.

Lombardi pretends to look interested and prepares for his best polite "thanks but your not the expert" line he learnt at Oakland

Haslam: Seriously guys; we get the place holder to catch the ball; our Kicker runs into the flat; gets the ball thrown to him and its a walk in TD every time.

Lombardi: Good idea boss.

At that moment the time runs out; we miss our 1c pick; lose draft partners and end up trading our pick for Vick to convert into our new starting kicker.

I just hope I am wrong. I still am buzzing with the Norv hire and if we were to get Horton it would be a massive coup so I just hope we can get another successful draft under our belts. Next year is a huge opportunity for the Browns to aim for 8-8 or higher and I just hope we can kick on and not just have "promise".
dawgdish

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StewieRules wrote:

It's a good thing the windows in my office building don't open...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dawgdish wrote:
StewieRules wrote:

If you're really serious, just go through them

green24

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's rough.

aceinthehouse wrote:
I'm so confident in the Skins this season (offensively), I think they challenge the Patriots scoring record.
Call it a hunch. Idea
Dropkick_pride

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fsubrowns9510 wrote:
dawgdish wrote:
StewieRules wrote:

elevator shaft?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dropkick_pride wrote:
fsubrowns9510 wrote:
dawgdish wrote:
StewieRules wrote:

elevator shaft?

Yea jumping through the window might not work...

buno67

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dropkick_pride wrote:
fsubrowns9510 wrote:
dawgdish wrote:
StewieRules wrote:

elevator shaft?

oh i must of missed the comment that suicide comments were funny...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buno67 wrote:
Dropkick_pride wrote:
fsubrowns9510 wrote:
dawgdish wrote:
StewieRules wrote:

elevator shaft?

oh i must of missed the comment that suicide comments were funny...

only on even dated Fridays in odd months... keep up will you.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to thank buno67 for all the intelligent counter points to the apparent mass hysteria.

And as for cronyism, why is that a bad thing in football, or any business?

In government it leads to an imbalance of power, which detracts from the democratic process of a republic. Businesses are not democracies or republics, they are authoritarian.

Every business wants employees that share the same goals (success) as the owner. There simply is no better means of knowing that beliefs are shared than to have personal knowledge (a history) of a co-worker or employee over a period of time.

Certainly a business owner should not be criticized for choosing someone he is familiar with to hire other people that may hire others that they are familiar with. It's pretty dumb to do otherwise unless you have to.

So let's just not start the whole "cronyism" discussion, it has no merit in this context.

Let's instead talk about what Lombardi has actually done, not what he might do.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StewieRules wrote:

Ok the Raiders were in a major needs of a QB...QBs in that lass was Russel, Quinn, Kolb, Beck, Stanton, Edwards, Rowe, Troy Smith, Jordan Palmer Thigpen. What really killed Russel was his hold out and his addiction to drugs. I dount any GM in the league saw those things happen, secially the Drugs. No QB from that Class panned out in the league. So the Raiders were set up to fail from the get out.

Zach Miller turned out to be a good TE for the Raiders, Huff was a good pick, Robert Gallary got his career with the Raiders ruined by Coaching, Scrabble was good, Napoleon Harris. Harris was good with the Raiders, starting on their superbowl team but was trdede in the blockbuster Randy Moss trade, Philip buchanan, I say he had a great 3years with the Raiders with 122 tackles and 11 INTs, became tradable when Scrabble turned into an All-Pro DB. 2000 wasnt a bad draft, he did draft a Kicker 1st overall but the three guys he drafted, Janikowski, Porter, and Lechler were all major parts to their superbowl team. Matt Stinchcomb got his career ruined by injuries. With the Eagles, his first 3 picks in 1998 all had great career. Tra Thomas started 165 games out of a possible 166 and protected McNabbs blindside. Jeremiah Trotter had a very good career in the NFL.
I dont see his draft history past the browns being as horrible as ppl make it out to be.

The browns draft wasnt very great but he did help build a decent browns team after the Brown repalced a beat up and damaged Bernie. After the Browns replaced Bernie the team went 7-9, 7-9, and 11-5 until they were relocated and 1995 was just a pointless system. I also think its hard to blame the Browns failure on the draft. They sucked for a couple seasone because they replaced their coach and had a punched drunk QB starting for them. After BB had his second season and they replaced Bernie the Browns were actually decent to good and were damn good in 1994

Last edited by buno67 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 8 of 18

Jump to: