Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Michael Lombardi - New VP of Player Personnel
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Estonianzulu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mistakebytehlak wrote:
duke2056 wrote:
While I won't call Hecker "bad", I still think our 1st round was terrible last year.

Picks what, 4 and 23 and we draft a RB and a 28 year old QB. Talk about a poor use of resources.

You don't take a RB that high unless you are a good team needing a final piece (and even then I can not condone taking a RB that high), and you dont take a 28 year old ANYTHING in the first round, ever.

I was hoping to feel the positive effects from that first round for a decade, not a few years.

However, I also kinda think there was some Holmy influence and some Shurmur influence looking for more immediate impact players to try and save their jobs. It would take one HELL of a lot to convince me otherwise. For all I know, Heckert felt the job security squeeze also.

yep because reaching at 3 for a RB and taking a soon to be 29 year old QB obviously will help your job security

they stuck to their guns and made the moves they thought would win us games.

trent richardson is gonna score a lot of TDs for us. I'm not gonna complain when he does so.

I'm also amused when people say "BPA!" and then follow it up with "Don't take a RB at 3"

I thought the rookie wage scale was supposed to make BPA a reality regardless of position?
ReggieCamp

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about it more over the weekend. My random thoughts.

Haslam and Banner obviously knew the fanbase would hate the Lombardi hire. They scheduled the announcement on a Friday, sandwiched between the announcements of the 2 new coordinators (which were expected to be warmly received, and they have been). They invited Lombardi's wife and son to the press conference. It's a little more difficult for the vultures to hurl insults when the guy's wife and kid are there. Almost immediately, public figures came out in support of the Lombardi hire. Jim Nantz, Bill Belichick, Mike Mayock, Brian Baldinger, etc. This PR outpouring was not a coincidence. This was H&B planning for the backlash.

No matter how you slice it, Lombardi's personnel record is pretty lousy. We've talked about his past drafts a lot, and they were shaky at best. It's a valid question as to whether he had final say on any of these drafts, but they are what they are. Also, many of his public takes on TV couldn't have been much worse. Yes, when you're a talking head on TV, you have to talk so much that you're always going to say things that you'd like to have back. But man, it's not tough to find some really dumb things he said on TV. Not liking the JJ Watt pick (saying Cameron Jordan would've been the better pick), having Blaine Gabbert as #1 on his big board, saying Seattle should bench Russell Wilson for Matt Flynn, and on and on. I'm sure he said plenty of things that were right, but these are some pretty big misses.

My biggest problem is being lied to by Haslam and Banner. Those 2 guys are in charge, and they can hire whoever they want without my permission, but don't tell me about the process and the best man for the job and blah blah blah. They hired Lombardi because Banner was fixated on him since day 1. That's all there is. I don't buy that everyone they talked to said Lombardi was the best and smartest and a great hire. BS. Banner was comfortable with him, and he hired him. I'd almost rather they say that than try to insult my intelligence by making up other stuff. There was only 1 confirmed interview other than Lombardi (Ray Farmer). That's not conducting a thorough search. That's just going through the motions and hiring your friend.

In the end, I have the same feeling about this as I did about hiring Shurmur. Holmgren and Heckert didn't conduct a thorough search for a head coach. They interviewed 3 guys in total (1 was a Rooney Rule), and they hired a guy with a questionable track record. Sound familiar? I gave Shurmur a chance, so I will certainly give Lombardi a chance. I'm just not a fan of the process or the subsequent spin control.

That's all. I won't complain about it any more. Lombardi is now my favorite GM in the league, and I hope he leads us to the promised land.

Adopt-a-Brown: Desmond Bryant
2013 Stats (10 games): 24 Tkls, 3.5 Sacks, 2 Stuffs, 1 PD
JCBrowns21

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ReggieCamp wrote:

Haslam and Banner obviously knew the fanbase would hate the Lombardi hire. They scheduled the announcement on a Friday, sandwiched between the announcements of the 2 new coordinators (which were expected to be warmly received, and they have been). They invited Lombardi's wife and son to the press conference. It's a little more difficult for the vultures to hurl insults when the guy's wife and kid are there. Almost immediately, public figures came out in support of the Lombardi hire. Jim Nantz, Bill Belichick, Mike Mayock, Brian Baldinger, etc. This PR outpouring was not a coincidence. This was H&B planning for the backlash.

No matter how you slice it, Lombardi's personnel record is pretty lousy. We've talked about his past drafts a lot, and they were shaky at best. It's a valid question as to whether he had final say on any of these drafts, but they are what they are. Also, many of his public takes on TV couldn't have been much worse. Yes, when you're a talking head on TV, you have to talk so much that you're always going to say things that you'd like to have back. But man, it's not tough to find some really dumb things he said on TV. Not liking the JJ Watt pick (saying Cameron Jordan would've been the better pick), having Blaine Gabbert as #1 on his big board, saying Seattle should bench Russell Wilson for Matt Flynn, and on and on. I'm sure he said plenty of things that were right, but these are some pretty big misses.

My biggest problem is being lied to by Haslam and Banner. Those 2 guys are in charge, and they can hire whoever they want without my permission, but don't tell me about the process and the best man for the job and blah blah blah. They hired Lombardi because Banner was fixated on him since day 1. That's all there is. I don't buy that everyone they talked to said Lombardi was the best and smartest and a great hire. BS. Banner was comfortable with him, and he hired him. I'd almost rather they say that than try to insult my intelligence by making up other stuff. There was only 1 confirmed interview other than Lombardi (Ray Farmer). That's not conducting a thorough search. That's just going through the motions and hiring your friend.

In the end, I have the same feeling about this as I did about hiring Shurmur. Holmgren and Heckert didn't conduct a thorough search for a head coach. They interviewed 3 guys in total (1 was a Rooney Rule), and they hired a guy with a questionable track record. Sound familiar? I gave Shurmur a chance, so I will certainly give Lombardi a chance. I'm just not a fan of the process or the subsequent spin control.

That's all. I won't complain about it any more. Lombardi is now my favorite GM in the league, and I hope he leads us to the promised land.

Agree with most of your thoughts, but I will say it's a little different than the Shurmur hire. Lombardi has the experience and people in high places that vouch for him. Whether we like him or not, he seems to be well respected by football people. The only people I hear criticizing are fans and local journalists.

Shurmur had only been an OC for like 1-2 years and was given too much responsibility. Lombardi won't be making final roster decisions or working the cap, contracts, etc. Hopefully, he can be the talent evaluator that BB, Banner and others believe him to be.

Still wasn't the guy I wanted, but I think the coaching staff is more important and by all accounts, we got that right.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ReggieCamp wrote:

I feel your pain but maybe we can draft the loiusville qb next year.
roger murdock

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want Bridgewater of Clowney next year. I want a winning football team and I think we can do it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roger murdock wrote:
I don't want Bridgewater of Clowney next year. I want a winning football team and I think we can do it.

I don't want anything to do with Bridgewater but would love to trade up for Clowney

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While Heckert had a lot of holes to fill and overall did a good job Lombardi has quite a few holes to fill also. He and others will be judged on this.

Adopted Brown Tashaun Gipson safety
vs. g.bay 7 tackles,2 asst. tackles and 1 pass defended
bruceb

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing that bothers me the most about hiring Lombardi is that I like the other high level hirings.

Not wild about Chud, but Chud + Turner + Horton = Very solid.

Lombardi seems like a red-haired step child added to the mix, and I can't make heads or tails of it in comparison to the other hirings.
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruceb wrote:
The thing that bothers me the most about hiring Lombardi is that I like the other high level hirings.

Lombardi seems like a red-haired step child added to the mix, and I can't make heads or tails of it in comparison to the other hirings.

Are you not offended by the sham "process to find the right guy"? Or does Banner get the free pass that you never gave Holmgren?
nugpimpen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditchdigger wrote:
bruceb wrote:

Are you not offended by the sham "process to find the right guy"? Or does Banner get the free pass that you never gave Holmgren?

They aren't all represented by the same agent.

Wink

IDOG_det on the incredible sig!
bruceb

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nugpimpen wrote:
ditchdigger wrote:
bruceb wrote:

They aren't all represented by the same agent.

Wink

LOL! Very Happy
bruceb

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditchdigger wrote:
bruceb wrote:

Holmgren was a highly paid putz.

Banner might well be, too. I don't know, and am trying to figure it out.

I just can't reconcile what I consider a solid team with the rest of the picks with Lombardi, who's track record sucks.

Part of me is thinking: Ok, the rest are ok, so this one must be, too.

But Lombardi? What in the hell has he ever done right to merit this kind of a job?
nugpimpen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruceb wrote:
ditchdigger wrote:
bruceb wrote:

I just can't reconcile what I consider a solid team with the rest of the picks with Lombardi, who's track record sucks.

But Lombardi? What in the hell has he ever done right to merit this kind of a job?

How come you are waiting on Banner but pounced right on Holmgren and didn't give him a chance?

bruceb

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nugpimpen wrote:
bruceb wrote:
ditchdigger wrote:
bruceb wrote:

How come you are waiting on Banner but pounced right on Holmgren and didn't give him a chance?

Because Holmgren was a putz from day one...no question in my mind about it.

Banner. at least, has given us Chud, Turner and Horton.

More than a little better and lot less crony than Shurmur, Shurmur and Jauron.

I still wonder what Holmgren's "take" was on those decisions.
nugpimpen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruceb wrote:
nugpimpen wrote:
bruceb wrote:
ditchdigger wrote:
bruceb wrote:

Because Holmgren was a putz from day one...no question in my mind about it.

Banner. at least, has given us Chud, Turner and Horton.

More than a little better and lot less crony than Shurmur, Shurmur and Jauron.

I still wonder what Holmgren's "take" was on those decisions.

As much as i believe our coaches will be legit, they haven't done anything yet.

You are assuming they will be and giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Neither of those things were given to the FO brought in by Holmy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 15 of 18

Jump to: