You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Michael Lombardi - New VP of Player Personnel
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JCBrowns21

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estonianzulu wrote:
JCBrowns21 wrote:

btw, not sure how you're definng best rookie wr, but Blackmon had better numbers (w/way worse QB play)

Blackmon - 64/865/5
Gordon - 50/805/5

65 yards on 14 catches? Hardly demonstrably better numbers. Gordon was a reach, who cares. If we hadn't drafted him, he'd be in Buffalo and MoMass would be our #2 WR going forward.

I didn't say "demonstrably better," but Blackmon had a comparably good year.

I haven't seen a confirmed report that Buffalo even put in a claim for Gordon. Either way, happy with Gordon, but it certainly was risky for a guy who had drug problems and hasn't played much in college.

Bottom line, criticizing the pick shouldn't be held against Lombardi.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fsubrowns9510 wrote:
Was pretty much spot on with this stuff last year regarding the draft

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82885edd/article/nfl-draft-forecast-chandler-jones-up-courtney-upshaw-down?akmobile=blackberry-tablet...

Think the following part is the biggest philosophical difference between Banner/Lombardi and Heckert.

10. I believe that everyone should expect the unexpected Thursday night. Teams must be prepared for anything, and then react accordingly. I believe the best drafting teams are the ones that never go into a draft needing one particular player. A team's love must be spread among multiple players, because there are 31 other teams out there with potentially similar feelings on a prospect.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I'm not a huge fan bringing in Lombardi I'm not in panic mode. I think it was definitely a bold hire here from banner & company. With his history here and the backlash he was going to get from fans and media. I'll wait until he (or this group) makes some moves in free agency and the draft before i declare it a good move or not. I do like some of his ideas about building a team and it seems like we have a lot of good people in place to deal with contracts ect. Looks like we are keeping our scouting staff in place also which has done a decent job of finding good talent.

I like the staff we have assembled and if that means Lombardi is a cog in the organization then so be it. Plus its not like we have any choice in the matter. I just hope he's learned from his past mistakes and he can do some good this time around.
Estonianzulu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCBrowns21 wrote:
fsubrowns9510 wrote:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82885edd/article/nfl-draft-forecast-chandler-jones-up-courtney-upshaw-down?akmobile=blackberry-tablet...

Think the following part is the biggest philosophical difference between Banner/Lombardi and Heckert.

10. I believe that everyone should expect the unexpected Thursday night. Teams must be prepared for anything, and then react accordingly. I believe the best drafting teams are the ones that never go into a draft needing one particular player. A team's love must be spread among multiple players, because there are 31 other teams out there with potentially similar feelings on a prospect.

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with?

Awful philosophy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCBrowns21 wrote:
fsubrowns9510 wrote:

Sounds a lot like BPA to me.

I like!!
pnies20

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estonianzulu wrote:
JCBrowns21 wrote:
fsubrowns9510 wrote:

Awful philosophy

Sounds more like "have a plan B so you don't make Ricky Williams type trades"
buno67

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pnies20 wrote:
Estonianzulu wrote:
JCBrowns21 wrote:
fsubrowns9510 wrote:

10. I believe that everyone should expect the unexpected Thursday night. Teams must be prepared for anything, and then react accordingly. I believe the best drafting teams are the ones that never go into a draft needing one particular player. A team's love must be spread among

it multiple players, because there are 31 other teams out there with potentially similar feelings on a prospect.

Awful philosophy

it sounds like dont count all your eggs before the hatch...basically why put all your money into one player when so much drama can go on with trades that someone move up to take the player you want.

I think the Browns did that last year, they were set on TRich and K. Wright that when the Titans drafted Wright the Browns werent quite sure what they wanted to do because they prolly for sure thought Wright would be there that they reached and took Weeden by 10-15spots.

In the draft you have to go in the draft with an open mind and a good list of players, so if one player is drafted your not left in a mess and dont panic
BrownsDog23

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buno67 wrote:
pnies20 wrote:
Estonianzulu wrote:
JCBrowns21 wrote:
fsubrowns9510 wrote:

10. I believe that everyone should expect the unexpected Thursday night. Teams must be prepared for anything, and then react accordingly. I believe the best drafting teams are the ones that never go into a draft needing one particular player. A team's love must be spread among

it multiple players, because there are 31 other teams out there with potentially similar feelings on a prospect.

Awful philosophy

it sounds like dont count all your eggs before the hatch...basically why put all your money into one player when so much drama can go on with trades that someone move up to take the player you want.

I think the Browns did that last year, they were set on TRich and K. Wright that when the Titans drafted Wright the Browns werent quite sure what they wanted to do because they prolly for sure thought Wright would be there that they reached and took Weeden by 10-15spots.

In the draft you have to go in the draft with an open mind and a good list of players, so if one player is drafted your not left in a mess and dont panic
I swear the moment the pick was made, i said thats what happened and i still firmly believe that.
duke2056

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I won't call Hecker "bad", I still think our 1st round was terrible last year.

Picks what, 4 and 23 and we draft a RB and a 28 year old QB. Talk about a poor use of resources.

You don't take a RB that high unless you are a good team needing a final piece (and even then I can not condone taking a RB that high), and you dont take a 28 year old ANYTHING in the first round, ever.

I was hoping to feel the positive effects from that first round for a decade, not a few years.

However, I also kinda think there was some Holmy influence and some Shurmur influence looking for more immediate impact players to try and save their jobs. It would take one HELL of a lot to convince me otherwise. For all I know, Heckert felt the job security squeeze also.
We draft Garrett at #1 (out on a limb there).
We trade back from 12 for another 2018 1st.
We do NOT draft a QB in the first 2 rounds.
fsubrowns9510

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was so much talk about how awful our offense was, how can you not expect them to grab the top offensive player on the board at 3 or 4? The weeden pick was a bit early IMO but they thought he was going to be a serviceable guy for us for a while til we could get all the pieces together.

Unfortunately they didn't get enough time to get the rest of the pieces in place.

Browns Forum HOF Member Class of 2011
Pruitt3443

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estonianzulu wrote:
JCBrowns21 wrote:
fsubrowns9510 wrote:

Awful philosophy

To me this sounds like do not fall in love with Kyle Brady, then panic and end up with Craig Powell.

Which to me makes it seem that to anyone that remembers Browns draft history, this would be a brilliant philosophy.
poorbytehshore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lombardi needs to make the all important correct decision at 6 to start winning over the skeptics.

The way I see it, that shouldn't be too hard not to get wrong.

Star Lotulelei - YES
Damontre Moore - Like him
Jarvis Jones - Like him but obviously medical concerns
Dee Miliner - Best corner in the draft but more of a zone guy than man.
Chance Warmack - Maybe the best player in the draft. Beast.
Bjoern Werner - Ok but doesn't suit us I think.
Dion Jordan - Love his potential as a 34 OLB, maybe with a trade back.

Considering Geno and Joeckel should both likely be gone before we pick, at least 4 of the above will be on the board at #6. No excuses for us not to come out of the first round with a player we have graded out highly and feel good about it.
Estonianzulu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buno67 wrote:

There is this huge assumption that we made a panic pick. It was obvious that our FO wanted Brandon Weeden, he was the pick they had targeted. Wright was taken, so the FO had to make a decision- draft the QB you want, or risk not getting him at all.

They drafted him, its not a sign of a panic but a sign of reasoned risk taking.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duke2056 wrote:
While I won't call Hecker "bad", I still think our 1st round was terrible last year.

Picks what, 4 and 23 and we draft a RB and a 28 year old QB. Talk about a poor use of resources.

You don't take a RB that high unless you are a good team needing a final piece (and even then I can not condone taking a RB that high), and you dont take a 28 year old ANYTHING in the first round, ever.

I was hoping to feel the positive effects from that first round for a decade, not a few years.

However, I also kinda think there was some Holmy influence and some Shurmur influence looking for more immediate impact players to try and save their jobs. It would take one HELL of a lot to convince me otherwise. For all I know, Heckert felt the job security squeeze also.

yep because reaching at 3 for a RB and taking a soon to be 29 year old QB obviously will help your job security

they stuck to their guns and made the moves they thought would win us games.

trent richardson is gonna score a lot of TDs for us. I'm not gonna complain when he does so.
buno67

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estonianzulu wrote:
buno67 wrote:

There is this huge assumption that we made a panic pick. It was obvious that our FO wanted Brandon Weeden, he was the pick they had targeted. Wright was taken, so the FO had to make a decision- draft the QB you want, or risk not getting him at all.

They drafted him, its not a sign of a panic but a sign of reasoned risk taking.

yeah I think they wanted Wright and they had no time to trade down so they took Weeden.

I still like Weeden and think we can get atleast 6good years out of him

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 14 of 18

Jump to: