Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jennings, Wallace, or Bowe.... why not 2?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hisalness56

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Jennings, Wallace, or Bowe.... why not 2? Reply with quote

I don't know if anyone has covered this or not but I have been wondering why there hasnt been more buzz about possibly signing Wallace and Jennings (not a huge Bowe fan) I don't know if it is financially possible or wise but I feel like it would eliminate the need to draft a wr this year so we can address other positions in rounds 2 and 3 (I wouldnt think we would go wr in the 1st anyway)... does anybody have any thoughts on this?
dolphan9954

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because then you are allocating about $18-22 million annually into your starting WR. About $25-27 to your unit as a whole. If you are looking to completely revamp it, your better off signing Jennings, drafting Patterson and maybe resigning Hartline.

Phinisher on the Avatar
MDolphins2399 on the sig

Go Canes
hisalness56

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh see I don't know a whole lot about the financials and the going rate for WRs... good point
skatewood2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think we are going to be able to afford two of the top WR's in FA this offseason. Wallace/Jennings/Bowe are going to want top dollar from any team that signs them or they will not even sit at the table for discussions. At this point, everyone is making great arguments for both Wallace and Jennings that I would not mind either one of them. I have liked Bowe in the past, but I don't know if he is still that good or not. I also want to see us bring Hartline back and draft a WR (as bringing up our own WR is much better than paying top dollar for an older one) and that alleviates the need for two of the top three WR's in FA IMO.

NFL - Miami Dolphins
College - THE Ohio State University Buckeyes
dolphan9954

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically speaking you can afford them, the problem is the Dolphins need to do much more than fix the WR position. If you fix WR but not OL then it's pointless. Plus defense needs a little help as well.

Phinisher on the Avatar
MDolphins2399 on the sig

Go Canes
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My issue with Jennings is that he was the 3rd option on his team last season....why would we pay him #1 money now. Personally Bowe (physical presence) and Wallace (Speed) would be my picks before Jennings.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would take

Wallace
Jennings then
Bowe

Don't think we could afford more than 1.

^^^Kempes^^^
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wallace
jennings
and hoping we do not get bowe
Mercury22

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are all the posters that said "this offense doesn't need a #1 WR?" I thought this offense could get by just fine with mid level guys that weren't selfish? I thought I heard a chorus of posters suggesting that spending big money on a top WR wasn't part of what this offense was all about.
Deadeye

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
Where are all the posters that said "this offense doesn't need a #1 WR?" I thought this offense could get by just fine with mid level guys that weren't selfish? I thought I heard a chorus of posters suggesting that spending big money on a top WR wasn't part of what this offense was all about.
That's a misquote of what people were saying Merc, get real. No one suggested that our current WRs were adequate as a unit. What people were saying (including Philbin himself) is that Philbin's system is not built around a Calvin Johnson or Julio Jones type of WR. Green Bay doesn't have one of those types, and they won the SB.

Everyone is of the opinion that we still need to vastly upgrade our WRs. As has been noted by many, Hartline is our top WR and he's very slow relative to other WRs in the league. We need at least two new ones, and I'd recommend signing one free agent if possible, and then drafting one too.
Mercury22

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadeye wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:
That's a misquote of what people were saying Merc, get real. No one suggested that our current WRs were adequate as a unit. What people were saying (including Philbin himself) is that Philbin's system is not built around a Calvin Johnson or Julio Jones type of WR. Green Bay doesn't have one of those types, and they won the SB.

Everyone is of the opinion that we still need to vastly upgrade our WRs. As has been noted by many, Hartline is our top WR and he's very slow relative to other WRs in the league. We need at least two new ones, and I'd recommend signing one free agent if possible, and then drafting one too.

Maybe you should re-read the names at the top of this thread. Bowe and Wallace CERTAINLY represent #1's. Jennings will be, most likely, paid close to what someone would call a #1. And on top of that, many are discussing getting TWO of those guys, OR spending a 1st rounder on a wideout.

And for the record, MANY people believed in the off season that we would be "just fine" with the WR's that we had in Hartline and Bess, and with the addition of two rookie later round prospects in Matthews and Cunningham, none of which were "selfish" "#1 diva wideouts". Now people want Bowe and Wallace?! Both of whom have records of being EXACTLY that.

I agree we need to upgrade at the position and always have, but I don't think its unfair of me to call people out for a lack of consistency in their argument. If this thread and other throughout the off season had people throwing around 2nd tiers free agents or scouting later round prospects as opposed to naming THE biggest names in free agency then you wouldn't hear complaint from me.

I said when we cut Marshall loose that this offense was devoid of playmakers in the WR spot and that we would be looking to replace Marshall (and probably have a VERY hard time doing so). I was HAMMERED for saying that. Now, its the consensus.

And lastly, I am ALL for adding a "#1" wideout. I don't believe that we will be an effective offense until we add top end talent. I don't believe the model of adding 2nd tier guys is likely work. Never have. I've remained consistent about my call for needing top end talent at the WR spot. I'm not saying it couldn't work to get all 2nd level prospects or FA's, but I think its a hell of a roll of the dice, since that position is so important to the passing game, I'd not be willing to take that gamble. So, I'm not complaining that people want to add top tier talent, but I am annoyed that suddenly the philosophy of the offense is ignored/altered when its fashionable.
Manlaw15

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:

I am ALL for adding a "#1" wideout. I don't believe that we will be an effective offense until we add top end talent. I don't believe the model of adding 2nd tier guys is likely work. Never have. I've remained consistent about my call for needing top end talent at the WR spot. I'm not saying it couldn't work to get all 2nd level prospects or FA's, but I think its a hell of a roll of the dice, since that position is so important to the passing game, I'd not be willing to take that gamble. So, I'm not complaining that people want to add top tier talent, but I am annoyed that suddenly the philosophy of the offense is ignored/altered when its fashionable.

Couldn't agree with you more Merc. Miami needs a #1 guy.

As much of a fan as I am of Mike Wallace i think ultimately Miami takes Jennings only because of his knowledge of the offense. I also believe that Jennings may come to Miami at less guarantied money than your top tier WR. I feel that Jennings just won't have the same market as Wallace or Bowe.

Miami needs that goto #1 wideout and if Jennings is the guy Miami better have a plan B with the first 3 picks they have in the draft. I know he gets creamed in draft forums but i would like Miami to take a long look at Justin Hunter in the 2nd or 3rd round. He has that rare combo of size and speed.
Mercury22

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manlaw15 wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:

I am ALL for adding a "#1" wideout. I don't believe that we will be an effective offense until we add top end talent. I don't believe the model of adding 2nd tier guys is likely work. Never have. I've remained consistent about my call for needing top end talent at the WR spot. I'm not saying it couldn't work to get all 2nd level prospects or FA's, but I think its a hell of a roll of the dice, since that position is so important to the passing game, I'd not be willing to take that gamble. So, I'm not complaining that people want to add top tier talent, but I am annoyed that suddenly the philosophy of the offense is ignored/altered when its fashionable.

Couldn't agree with you more Merc. Miami needs a #1 guy.

As much of a fan as I am of Mike Wallace i think ultimately Miami takes Jennings only because of his knowledge of the offense. I also believe that Jennings may come to Miami at less guarantied money than your top tier WR. I feel that Jennings just won't have the same market as Wallace or Bowe.

Miami needs that goto #1 wideout and if Jennings is the guy Miami better have a plan B with the first 3 picks they have in the draft. I know he gets creamed in draft forums but i would like Miami to take a long look at Justin Hunter in the 2nd or 3rd round. He has that rare combo of size and speed.

Adding Jennings and a 2nd or 3rd rounder would make me feel that the reasons we gave up on Marshall were still in place. That Miami didn't want to cap hit of Marshall (Jennings would probably be a deal comparatively speaking) and the 2nd or 3rd rounder would be consistent with what we saw from the Packers in their acquisition of WR talent. Bowe and Wallace, and/or a 1st rounder wouldn't be consistent with what we heard last year. I am not opposed to spending for a guy, but again, it not consistent with what we heard when we let Marshall go.

The other relatively obvious benefit of adding Jennings is that he comes in and is ready to start with a working knowledge of the offense. He would not hinder Tannehill's growth and in fact should be able to give advice to the younger talent we add at WR.

The only concerns I have with Jennings is his age and injury history, but to me, he would probably be the best of the bunch of FA's.

The ONLY exception I can think of is Percy Harvin. If he were let loose in Minny (which I doubt) I would LOVE to see him land in Miami . He is an EXCEPTIONAL talent, and could add a Randall Cobb type element to this offense. However, Harvin wouldn't NOT be cheap at all.
SUG

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:

Here I am !

The only guy of those 3 FAs that even appeals to me is Jennings.
He is knowledgeable of our system
He is a great route runner
He's clean on & off the field
And I doubt he costs what the other guys do since being a WR in GB is all about being an "interchangeable part".

Whomever we draft or acquire via FA needs to understand that it's not about being
a #1 or a #2 WR in Mia. It's about fitting the system.

I mean ... can it really be said of Gregg Jennings that he has put up Mega Star numbers in back to back seasons...???
I don't think so, he's a smart, crafty, can get separation, run fantastic routes & catch anything his hands touch.
Dude knows how to "bait a Safety" into double coverage so that his teammate gets single coverage after the huddle & before the snap.

I'd rather have 3 Gregg Jennings than 1 Mega star.
Besides I hope we draft a Stud TE before any WR.

sug
Mercury22

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SUG wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:

Here I am !

The only guy of those 3 FAs that even appeals to me is Jennings.
He is knowledgeable of our system
He is a great route runner
He's clean on & off the field
And I doubt he costs what the other guys do since being a WR in GB is all about being an "interchangeable part".

Whomever we draft or acquire via FA needs to understand that it's not about being
a #1 or a #2 WR in Mia. It's about fitting the system.

I mean ... can it really be said of Gregg Jennings that he has put up Mega Star numbers in back to back seasons...???
I don't think so, he's a smart, crafty, can get separation, run fantastic routes & catch anything his hands touch.
Dude knows how to "bait a Safety" into double coverage so that his teammate gets single coverage after the huddle & before the snap.

I'd rather have 3 Gregg Jennings than 1 Mega star.
Besides I hope we draft a Stud TE before any WR.

sug

I'll grant you consistency, Sug.

Out of pure curiosity, what would you propose we do if Jennings is not available or doesn't want to come to Miami? How would you fix the WR corps? Can we agree that what we have ain't gonna cut the mustard?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: