Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Cardinals Hire Bruce Arians
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stchamp98

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyV wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
I see a lot of people on other sites freaking out about a change in defensive scheme. My advice? Don't be.

1. While Bowles did just coordinate a 4-3 defense, he has plenty of 3-4 experience and really only stayed with the 4-3 wide 9 in it's entirety because he was promoted in-season. Drastic changes like that don't get made in season.
2. We didn't even really run a 3-4. We ran a nickel defense. Khodder will confirm, more than 40% of our defensive calls were nickel calls, which makes that truly our base defense.

The playcalling, the design, the aggressiveness may change but don't get too hung up on 3-4 or 4-3 or anything else. I don't expect anything to be drastically different from last year.

DIdn't Todd help run a 3-4 in Miami with some success?

Yes he did. Dolphins fans still speak highly of him. I have a few quotes from them if anyone wants to see.

I'm not saying schematic changes won't be made, I'm not saying our philosophy will be the same. I'm not saying certain players won't have as bright of a future under Todd Bowles as they did under Ray Horton, I'm not saying any of that. All I'm saying is, anyone on the ledge about a complete defensive overhaul can step back a few feet. Even if changes are made, I expect a lot of what Todd Bowles will do (Should he get the job) to be similar to what Ray Horton did formation wise and in the secondary.
JohnnyV

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
JohnnyV wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
I see a lot of people on other sites freaking out about a change in defensive scheme. My advice? Don't be.

1. While Bowles did just coordinate a 4-3 defense, he has plenty of 3-4 experience and really only stayed with the 4-3 wide 9 in it's entirety because he was promoted in-season. Drastic changes like that don't get made in season.
2. We didn't even really run a 3-4. We ran a nickel defense. Khodder will confirm, more than 40% of our defensive calls were nickel calls, which makes that truly our base defense.

The playcalling, the design, the aggressiveness may change but don't get too hung up on 3-4 or 4-3 or anything else. I don't expect anything to be drastically different from last year.

DIdn't Todd help run a 3-4 in Miami with some success?

Yes he did. Dolphins fans still speak highly of him. I have a few quotes from them if anyone wants to see.

I'm not saying schematic changes won't be made, I'm not saying our philosophy will be the same. I'm not saying certain players won't have as bright of a future under Todd Bowles as they did under Ray Horton, I'm not saying any of that. All I'm saying is, anyone on the ledge about a complete defensive overhaul can step back a few feet. Even if changes are made, I expect a lot of what Todd Bowles will do (Should he get the job) to be similar to what Ray Horton did formation wise and in the secondary.

Agreed. I mean, the guy was the runner up to Ken and then the runner up to Ray. It's not like this is Billy Davis or Clancy. He has a terrific relationship with Bruce and while he's not Horton, we do know he'll be able to develope a repore with this group hopefully for years to come.

I'm open minded about the defense. It's the offense that scares me.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll be interesting to see what happens with the defense. Dan Williams is a worry, he may not have a place if Bowles gets the gig and brings the 3-4 1 gap or 4-3 under. Dockett would do really well in this system, Calais would do really well in this system. Run game may still suffer, however.
SuperFlyTNT

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This whole situation reminds me a bit of ASU's last year - albeit with less drama during the search, but more after it concluded. Anyway - that worked out pretty well in the end - I'm hoping everything Mike B and Steve Keim saw in Bruce Arians makes for a really good HC.
stchamp98

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those with the time to watch, Arians' introductory press conference will stream live on azcardinals.com and be broascast at XTRA 910 at 1:00 Arizona time.
Boise&cards Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So with this offense needing a big arm big guy type QB does that help the chance of Skelton staying on the team as a backup.

That right I won. Thank you NS922 for the Sig.
AZCardinalsFan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so instead of being all bummed out about this hire. What are some positive he can bring to this team?
stchamp98

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boise&cards Fan wrote:
So with this offense needing a big arm big guy type QB does that help the chance of Skelton staying on the team as a backup.

Conventional wisdom would say yes but I'm getting bad reports on Skelton. Keim may just wash his hands of the guy. I'm not sure he's sticking around, have to wait and see.
iRobot

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
Boise&cards Fan wrote:

Conventional wisdom would say yes but I'm getting bad reports on Skelton. Keim may just wash his hands of the guy. I'm not sure he's sticking around, have to wait and see.

Unless Arians sees something that he can clean up in Skelton, I don't know how they keep him. Three years to improve and all he seems to have done is regressed.

I think Lindley gets a shot.. maybe Hoyer. Kolb is likely gone unless he restructures, which he doesn't really need to do if he doesn't want to. I do expect them to draft a QB whether it's in the first or second round.
stchamp98

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZCardinalsFan wrote:
so instead of being all bummed out about this hire. What are some positive he can bring to this team?

Most of the same things that were positive about Ken Whisenhunt to tell you the truth. Genuinely nice guy that the players like and respect. Interacts well with his coaching staff, with his front office members and with the media. You'll never see a Denny Green rant from Bruce Arians. He's obviously got lots of experience and after spending most of 2012 performing the head coaching duties in Chuck Pagano's sbsence, he knows how the job works. Has a Super Bowl ring as a coordinator, which is always nice to see. His offensive system, while complex and very demanding, is proven to work when everything goes right.
Boise&cards Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iRobot wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
Boise&cards Fan wrote:

Unless Arians sees something that he can clean up in Skelton, I don't know how they keep him. Three years to improve and all he seems to have done is regressed.

I think Lindley gets a shot.. maybe Hoyer. Kolb is likely gone unless he restructures, which he doesn't really need to do if he doesn't want to. I do expect them to draft a QB whether it's in the first or second round.

Neither Kolb or Hoyer have the arm for the offense and I could see Lindley getting a shot at the back up job. I fully expect him to draft a QB in round one or two and start him day one.

That right I won. Thank you NS922 for the Sig.
stchamp98

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoyer's got a pretty nice arm, actually.

Be interesting to see what Arians does with Kolb.
AZCardinalsFan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arians will be on NFL network at 7est.
stchamp98

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who can't tune in, I'll try and post the highlights of Arians press conference for view.
Chg91

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
You know I don't know if he worked under Phillips at all but what I do know is that Bowles has worked under Mike Nolan for a few years and is close with Nolan personally. Nolan runs a runs a 1 gap 3-4 with a lot of nickel 4-3 concepts which is similar to what Wade has run forever. Dockett would be a question mark in this system, same as he was in Horton's and Big Dan may be as well. Nolan's defense, while effective, is far less exotic than Horton's and won't bring crazy pressure from all different angles. His blitzes, to the naked eye, with look rather predictable as they'll almost all come from the weak side. Not saying he NEVER blitzes from the strong side but he doesn't do it all that often. OBS and D-Wash will both like this type of system whereas Sam Acho probably won't. Nolan's strong side ILB almost always comes off the field in the nickel packages, which makes me question where and how early we should consider taking one in the draft (Should this be our actual system of course). D-Wash should continue to thrive in this system, as both Patrick Willis and Sean Weatherspoon have done. The secondary concepts I'm less familiar with but I know Nolan runs a ton of nickel, which shouldn't change much of our base formations. Whether they're played the same I really don't know. Better question for Khodder I think, he nails the coverage stuff.

If this is the system Bowles brings, this is what we're probably going to see.

How do you figure? Dockett's bread and butter is shooting gaps, and his best statistical years came under the 1-gap 34 we used to run under Pendergast/Davis.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 13 of 15

Jump to: