Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Tag & Trade?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrassyKnoll

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Tag & Trade? Reply with quote

I've heard an idea mentioned on ESPN radio out of Dallas that intrigues me. The idea is to somehow get under the cap through cuts, extensions, or other reworking gimmicks enough to tag Spencer again & ten trade him. I think it's Skin Wade of the Ben & Skin radio show that is raving about this. He seems to believe we could get a 2nd & 3rd round pick for Spencer by doing this instead of letting him walk for nothing. Any thoughts out there on this idea?
JWingate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Tag & Trade? Reply with quote

GrassyKnoll wrote:
I've heard an idea mentioned on ESPN radio out of Dallas that intrigues me. The idea is to somehow get under the cap through cuts, extensions, or other reworking gimmicks enough to tag Spencer again & ten trade him. I think it's Skin Wade of the Ben & Skin radio show that is raving about this. He seems to believe we could get a 2nd & 3rd round pick for Spencer by doing this instead of letting him walk for nothing. Any thoughts out there on this idea?

I doubt it happens, yeah it seems like a great idea but when does anything like this ever happen?

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am 100% for this. Anything hire than a 4th round pick would be an upgrade from what we would likely get with the Comp Pick.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Dboys88-82

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While it seems to make sense, there must be a reason why it never happens.
G-osh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dboys88-82 wrote:

It happens, just not with the Cowboys. We don't seem to trade anybody Confused! I believe Matt Cassel and Jared Allen were both tag and trades. That's just off the top of my head. I want to keep Spencer and use him as a LOLB on 1st and 2nd, and as a LDE on 3rd and in the nickel; however, if we don't keep him, then I certainly hope we can tag and trade him.
JWingate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G-osh wrote:
Dboys88-82 wrote:

It happens, just not with the Cowboys. We don't seem to trade anybody Confused! I believe Matt Cassel and Jared Allen were both tag and trades. That's just off the top of my head. I want to keep Spencer and use him as a LOLB on 1st and 2nd, and as a LDE on 3rd and in the nickel; however, if we don't keep him, then I certainly hope we can tag and trade him.

If we were to do this I would do it to move up in the draft, like doing

Dallas gets:
6th overall

Cleveland gets:
18th overall
Anthony Spencer
Conditional 2014 pick

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JWingate wrote:
G-osh wrote:
Dboys88-82 wrote:

Dallas gets:
6th overall

Cleveland gets:
18th overall
Anthony Spencer
Conditional 2014 pick

I don't know all the particulars, and if someone does I would appreciate clarification. If franchised, can a team seeking a trade for Spencer negotiate a contract extension, and then basically he signs it after the trade is officially approved, or do they have to wait until the year after?

The team that makes the most sense to me is Indianapolis. They have about 40 mil in cap space. Dwight Freeney is 32, a free agent, and not a great fit for a 3-4 anyway. We could even lower the price to a first next year, since they only have 4 picks this year, and no 2nd. The only problem I see is that we would have to sacrifice the future by restructuring a number of contracts to get in under the cap.
JWingate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeneralDissaray wrote:
JWingate wrote:
G-osh wrote:
Dboys88-82 wrote:

Dallas gets:
6th overall

Cleveland gets:
18th overall
Anthony Spencer
Conditional 2014 pick

I don't know all the particulars, and if someone does I would appreciate clarification. If franchised, can a team seeking a trade for Spencer negotiate a contract extension, and then basically he signs it after the trade is officially approved, or do they have to wait until the year after?

The team that makes the most sense to me is Indianapolis. They have about 40 mil in cap space. Dwight Freeney is 32, a free agent, and not a great fit for a 3-4 anyway. We could even lower the price to a first next year, since they only have 4 picks this year, and no 2nd. The only problem I see is that we would have to sacrifice the future by restructuring a number of contracts to get in under the cap.

I am not sure if they are allow to restructure, I am sure they can. I am just saying if it would be possible to trade up to get Bjoern Werner it was be a remarkable deal.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry never trades anyone who can actually bring a premium pick. He let Martellus walk. He could have traded Jenkins. He just isn't savy enough to figure it out. Jerry trades second rounders ( Fasano) packaged with a lb for a 4th rounder. It isn't hard to understand why Dallas is looking in.

I don't even have the hope that he figures it out. The Pats are making a run for their 6th superbowl under BB. They cut or trade older players for draft picks and remain strong. We remain mediocre. Frustrating as hell.
JWingate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Football Mensa wrote:
Jerry never trades anyone who can actually bring a premium pick. He let Martellus walk. He could have traded Jenkins. He just isn't savy enough to figure it out. Jerry trades second rounders ( Fasano) packaged with a lb for a 4th rounder. It isn't hard to understand why Dallas is looking in.

I don't even have the hope that he figures it out. The Pats are making a run for their 6th superbowl under BB. They cut or trade older players for draft picks and remain strong. We remain mediocre. Frustrating as hell.

To say Jerry isn't savvy enough for trading is way off base. The thing is the NFL values these players differently than what the fans do, the value wasn't there to trade him and no one was interested, as I am sure he took offers.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JWingate wrote:
Football Mensa wrote:

To say Jerry isn't savvy enough for trading is way off base. The thing is the NFL values these players differently than what the fans do, the value wasn't there to trade him and no one was interested, as I am sure he took offers.

He was offered a second for Martellus by the Bengals. He had multiple offerss from the Colts who traded a second to Miami for Vontae Davis. He had offers, he just doesn't make the move.
JWingate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Football Mensa wrote:
JWingate wrote:
Football Mensa wrote:

He was offered a second for Martellus by the Bengals. He had multiple offerss from the Colts who traded a second to Miami for Vontae Davis. He had offers, he just doesn't make the move.

Jerry is a very intelligent man, he knows how to get the best offers. In both situations he was hoping that each player could help us get into the superbowl in their respective years. I am not sure how accurate the Bengals giving the 2nd for Bennett is even though I heard the same report, I believe speculation was a 2nd round pick. There was also no report of the Colts being interested in Mike Jenkins, they specifically wanted someone who could have helped them right away and Jenkins couldn't have done that.

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenkins was injured during the time the trade went down so he could not be traded. Reports to the contrary are pure fabrication.

In Redball I Trust!
Football Mensa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JWingate wrote:
Football Mensa wrote:
JWingate wrote:
Football Mensa wrote:

Jerry is a very intelligent man, he knows how to get the best offers. In both situations he was hoping that each player could help us get into the superbowl in their respective years. I am not sure how accurate the Bengals giving the 2nd for Bennett is even though I heard the same report, I believe speculation was a 2nd round pick. There was also no report of the Colts being interested in Mike Jenkins, they specifically wanted someone who could have helped them right away and Jenkins couldn't have done that.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/7972613/indianapolis-colts-making-bid-dalllas-cowboys-mike-jenkins-source-says

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2012/05/colts-show-interest-in-mike-je.html/

...andwhy do you think Jerry is intelligent regarding football ? Not being a smart arse....
Texas_OutLaw7

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenkins was injured and placed on PUP. He was not able to be traded. At least not by the time they traded for Davis.

In Redball I Trust!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: