Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Fasel15's Mock Complete Offseason
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do you think?
Decent Offseason
100%
 100%  [ 6 ]
Terrible Job
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 6

fasel1515

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Fasel15's Mock Complete Offseason Reply with quote

Well looks like everyone is doing it so I figured I might as well just get in on the action. I'm not the biggest prospect guy. I look at tape for the first 2 rounds and that is about it. Being lazy and am not going to think of contract figures either. Let me know what you guys think!

Fins in Free Agency

Keep
- Brian Hartline- Has chemistry with RT and think he will resign on a friendly deal. Worth it to keep him as a #2 WR who runs the underneath/comeback routes.

- Chris Clemons- Secondary depth who has chemistry with Reshad. No playmaking skills but is not a liability. Keep around to battle for the 2nd safety spot.

- Nate Garner- Cheap deal. Guy has played every position for us basically on the OL. Need back for depth on a unit that is pretty barren.

- Reggie Bush- At the end of the day I see him coming back on teams terms. I feel like he really wants to be in Miami and feels comfortable here. Maybe SD throws big money at him but I think he sees Miami as his best option going forward. On the Fins side of it we keep our best playmaker on offense and keep our depth at RB. Need to involve him more in the passing game. Seriously though we need to run more screens. It is a huge part of the game today and helps the offense out a ton. (Contingent on having an OL that can actually move)

Walk
- Matt Moore- Great backup QB to have but I'm pretty sure he goes elsewhere were he is given a chance to battle for the starting job.

- Anthony Fasano- Would love to have him back as he is a solid contributor as a blocker and has decent pass-catching ability but feel as if we are moving more towards the split out TE/WR option and Fasano just doesn't fit in.

- Jake Long- Oft injured and not worth the huge contract he will most certainly receive. Go back to MBS Jake.

- Randy Starks- Would love to have him back but just can't justify throwing a ton of money at him when we have Big Paul and Randy is getting up there in age.

- Tony McDanials- Solid depth on the DL. If he comes real cheap I could see him coming back but not in this mock. Feel like he goes back to a 3-4 team where I thought he performed better.

- Sean Smith- As barren as our CB situation is I can not justify throwing a massive contract to this guy. Is he a decent CB? Sure. Is he worth a McCourty type contract? Nope! He can take his "elite potential" somewhere else.

Free Agency

- Mike Wallace (WR)- Big contract. Big reward. We need speed on this team bad. Wallace gives us the deep threat we haven't had in a long time. He is everything Teddy Ginn was supposed to be. He is still only 27 and gives us someone who the opposing defenses will actually have to worry about. Takes that safety and backs him up 5-10 yards. Opens up the running game a little. I am telling you that this is the type of guy RT needs. RT threw some decent deep balls this year but they all seemed just a bit out of reach. Mike Wallace runs those balls down. Is he as complete a WR as some of the other options? Nope, but I'm ok with that. Take your speed to South Beach Mike Wallace. Twisted Evil

- Sebastian Vollmer(T)- Second decent contract handed out. Guy can play both T spots. He is a force on the OL and is a big reason why Brady stays clean most of the game. Need him as we have a huge gap on the OL. Would rather shell out the money to Vollmer to play a tackle spot than Levitre as a guard.

- Glenn Dorsey (DT)- Not going to be a big contract as he has not played overly well nor does he have the statistics to deserve one. Lower risk but bigger reward potential here. He has knee issues as well which lowers the contract value. He has played so out of position his entire NFL career with the Chiefs. Let him come here and rotate in next to Soliai and get him back to the UT. Really think he could do some solid work pushing the pocket here.

- Darius Butler (CB)- Got to go out and get a CB in FA. Butler would be a relatively cheap contract I believe. He adds CB depth and would probably win one of the outside starting jobs.

- Quentin Groves (DE)- Need depth at DE. Really liked him coming out but has been quite a disappointment. Solely a depth signing at DE. Damn the FA DE class this year is pitiful.

Draft

1st Round
#12- Chance Warmack (Alabama, OG)- Best OG prospect in a while. Need to help out our OL in a bad way. He comes in and instantly does so. IMO right out of the gates he is a top 5 OG. The dude is just a monster and has surprising athleticism. Fits into our scheme and forms a really good interior next to Pouncey.

2nd Round
#42- Zach Ertz (Stanford, TE)- Highly thought of TE prospect goes for our 1st second rounder. He comes in and provides that pass-catching TE we have been looking for. Needs to work on his blocking skills but from what I have seen he has proficiency in that area. Gives RT a solid option to throw to in the middle of the field.

#56- DJ Swearinger (South Carolina, S)- Solid safety prospect. He can bring the wood that is for sure. He fits right in next to Reshad I believe. They both are safeties who can cover and play the run. Has playmaker written all over him which is something this defense sorely lacks.

3rd Round
#77- Blidi Wreh-Wilson (UCONN, CB)- Probably goes higher then this but I like this kids athleticism. He is a pretty solid cover corner and if he falls this far would be a steal.

#82- Stedman Bailey (WVU, WR)- Someone beat me to this kid on the boards... He is a playmaker who absolutely performed in college. Question is can he make the next step to the NFL. 3rd round WR who I feel like can develop? Worth it...

4th Round
#- Tyrann Mathieu (CB)- Did I mention our defense lacks playmakers? This kid has major red-flags which is why I see him dropping this far. He could probably go later then this too. But, he has excellent instincts whether it is at CB/S. I see him coming in and playing a Jimmy Wilson role but one that actually impacts the game. He is a turnover machine and can just add another dimension to our nickel packages.

Depth Chart

OFFENSE

QB: Ryan Tannehill, Pat Devlin
RB: Reggie Bush, Lamar Miller, Daniel Thomas
FB: Javorskie Lane
WR: Mike Wallace, Brian Hartline, Davone Bess, Rishard Matthews, Stedman Bailey
TE: Zach Ertz, Charles Clay, Michael Egnew
LT: Sebastian Vollmer, Will Yeatman
LG: Richie Incognito
C: Mike Pouncey, Josh Samuda
RG: Chance Warmack, Nate Garner
RT: Jonathan Martin

DEFENSE

DE: Cameron Wake, Derrick Shelby
DT: Paul Soliai, Kheeston Randall
DT: Jared Odrick, Glenn Dorsey
DE: Olivier Vernon, Quentin Groves
OLB: Kevin Burnett, Jason Trusnik
MLB: Karlos Dansby
OLB: Koa Misi, Josh Kaddu
CB: Richard Marshall, Blidi Wreh-Wilson, Tyrann Mathieu
FS: Reshad Jones, Chris Clemons
SS: DJ Swearinger, Jimmy Wilson
CB: Darius Butler, Nolan Carroll

SPECIAL TEAMS

K: Dan Carpenter
P: Brandon Fields
LS: John Denney
KR/PR: Marcus Thigpen

Comments

I feel as if this would be a pretty realistic and helpful offseason. Three biggest needs on this team are

- Playmakers on Offense
- Offensive Line
- Pass Rush
- Secondary

I added playmakers on the Offense with Wallace and Ertz. Wallace as the deep threat was critical and keeping Hartline next to him I feel is the right move. Bess is the slot and Bailey when you go 5 wide. Ertz I feel will be a target in the redzone.

I bolstered our offensive line. Vollmer at LT is an upgrade over Jake and Warmack is a huge addition. Incognito didn't play as bad as many make him out to be. Martin and Vollmer could be switched but only if Martin bulks up this offseason and the coaches feel comfortable with him at LT.

Really didn't do much for the pass rush... Hated it but helped the OL instead. It is pretty hard to address all these needs at once. Didn't like any of the DE in FA or the draft.

I feel as if I helped the secondary a lot. Main thing I wanted to accomplish here was the addition of playmakers. Swearinger I believe is the real deal at the next level and would be a perfect fit next to Reshad in the secondary. I did the best I could at CB and feel as if this would be a movement in the right direction in our secondary.

Conclusion

I feel like I helped out both sides of the ball and aided RT development which is the main goal. Didn't think any of this is unrealistic either. Would really appreciate your feedback I know it was a somewhat lengthy post... GO FINS!
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nicely done. I like sebastion volmer and he will not be franchised so hopefully he is on the market solid and scheme fit. Dj swearinger is coming on big time he lays the wood but what I like most is he has lined up in the slot and played some corner this year and plays with attitude you can tell he loves the game.
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I support any draft that takes Warmack....easily my favorite player in this draft....grab him and not worry about one of the guard positions for the next 10 + years. I get goosebumps thinking about him and Pouncey putting a hurting on Wilfolk. Just make sure someone orders him a short jersey....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I support any mock draft that has us taking Zach Ertz. Him and Clay together would create a lot of problems to any defense. I just hope he is there with our top 2nd round pick.

I also like the Mike Wallace pick up as well. I was also a big Darius Butler fan when he was in the 09 draft. Shame he never panned out to be a #1 corner but still has some value as a #2 or nickle corner. I also give a big thumbs up to Vollmer but do you guys think he will get away from NE?
fasel1515

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViolentMonk71 wrote:
I support any draft that takes Warmack....easily my favorite player in this draft....grab him and not worry about one of the guard positions for the next 10 + years. I get goosebumps thinking about him and Pouncey putting a hurting on Wilfolk. Just make sure someone orders him a short jersey....

That is what I am saying. Warmack could make our OL go from below average to above. The interior would get a huge bolster. He can maul and still can get to the second level. I have seen him make great pulling blocks as well. Pencil him in as starting OG for the future.
fasel1515

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manlaw15 wrote:
I support any mock draft that has us taking Zach Ertz. Him and Clay together would create a lot of problems to any defense. I just hope he is there with our top 2nd round pick.

I also like the Mike Wallace pick up as well. I was also a big Darius Butler fan when he was in the 09 draft. Shame he never panned out to be a #1 corner but still has some value as a #2 or nickle corner. I also give a big thumbs up to Vollmer but do you guys think he will get away from NE?

Wallace and Ertz are a great inside out combo I believe. Wallace opens up the middle of the field. Off topic anyone know if Clay will be back by the beginning of the season?

I think Vollmer would be available for the right price. I just feel better about giving a bigger contract for a Tackle rather than a Guard. Especially with planning to draft Warmack. Vollmer has had some injury history but I feel as if his play outweighs this. I see him fitting our scheme as well.
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was reported today that steelers GM said there is a very good chance that they will not franchise any players leaving wallace for the taking.
skatewood2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fasel,
I really like this offseason and think it takes us to the next level.

My only question goes out to all of the JI haters (sorry, that is a little harsh) or I mean dislikers Wink

Would taking the top OG in this upcoming draft be a good thing or a bad thing for the future of JI? I just didn't know if that pick would be flashy enough for people to give JI some credit?

NFL - Miami Dolphins
College - THE Ohio State University Buckeyes
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skatewood2 wrote:
fasel,

My only question goes out to all of the JI haters (sorry, that is a little harsh) or I mean dislikers Wink

Would taking the top OG in this upcoming draft be a good thing or a bad thing for the future of JI? I just didn't know if that pick would be flashy enough for people to give JI some credit?

I think it depends who else is available and what was acquired in free agency...I think most on this forum would see it as a solid pick...a safe pick, I guess some would argue that safe doesn't win championships....sometimes you have to go for broke....again this is from someone who is a Ireland supporter and a person who thinks that Chance Warmack is the most pro-ready/complete player in the draft...so I may be a little bias.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skatewood2 wrote:
fasel,

Here is how I see it. Ireland needs to do what is best for this team. He did it a couple years ago taking Pouncey in the first. A huge Mike Wallace signing would appease the regular fan. They will love the big plays and the deep bombs he brings with him. Not to mention the draftniks are going to be pimping the hell out of Warmack. When that pick is made they will for sure laud praise upon it. Should keep the hounds at bay. This won't be considered a reach so I feel like he can do it without being attacked by the fanbase. The only thing that saves Ireland's job is a playoff year. He has to see that Warmack would be a huge addition and would make the most immediate impact for this team.
fasel1515

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViolentMonk71 wrote:
skatewood2 wrote:
fasel,

I think it depends who else is available and what was acquired in free agency...I think most on this forum would see it as a solid pick...a safe pick, I guess some would argue that safe doesn't win championships....sometimes you have to go for broke....again this is from someone who is a Ireland supporter and a person who thinks that Chance Warmack is the most pro-ready/complete player in the draft...so I may be a little bias.

Safe pick for sure. OG doesn't make the biggest impact on the game. But, I am all for going BPA in the first round. And unless someone drops (Werner, Milliner) I feel like he would be BPA. Dude just fits perfect and is an absolute monster. Obviously this pick is contingent on FA though...
dolphan9954

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't have good corners, you need a great pass rush to survive. With this we have neither. Really my only true concern with what you did.

Phinisher on the Avatar
MDolphins2399 on the sig

Go Canes
fasel1515

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolphan9954 wrote:
If you don't have good corners, you need a great pass rush to survive. With this we have neither. Really my only true concern with what you did.

Completely agree. My main worry with this as well. Gaining a pass rush this year is difficult though. The FA DE's are terrible this year. Not going to upgrade there and in the draft I concentrated more on offense. Would you rather take a risk on a Dion Jordan or another DE prospect at #12?

In my opinion we would have a better pass rush/secondary with this personnel than we did this year but it is more of a question mark. Giving Vernon more opportunities opposite Wake with Odrick on the inside would generate more pressure from the front 4. Swearinger is solid in man coverage. CB is still a question mark but no worse off then we were this year.
dolphan9954

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fasel1515 wrote:
dolphan9954 wrote:

Completely agree. My main worry with this as well. Gaining a pass rush this year is difficult though. The FA DE's are terrible this year. Not going to upgrade there and in the draft I concentrated more on offense. Would you rather take a risk on a Dion Jordan or another DE prospect at #12?

In my opinion we would have a better pass rush/secondary with this personnel than we did this year but it is more of a question mark. Giving Vernon more opportunities opposite Wake with Odrick on the inside would generate more pressure from the front 4. Swearinger is solid in man coverage. CB is still a question mark but no worse off then we were this year.

I love Michael Johnson and Cliff Avril. My sleeper is Rob Jackson. Probably an OLB in our system, but in Misi's spot he can get 8 sacks in a season and cover better.

In the draft I love the depth. Jordan reminds me of a more athletic Misi, do all guy but not a true pass rusher. I like Ansah, Lemonier, Carradine and Mingo. Mingo probably the only one I would take at 12, maybe Ansah if he rises more.

Phinisher on the Avatar
MDolphins2399 on the sig

Go Canes
fasel1515

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolphan9954 wrote:
fasel1515 wrote:
dolphan9954 wrote:

I love Michael Johnson and Cliff Avril. My sleeper is Rob Jackson. Probably an OLB in our system, but in Misi's spot he can get 8 sacks in a season and cover better.

In the draft I love the depth. Jordan reminds me of a more athletic Misi, do all guy but not a true pass rusher. I like Ansah, Lemonier, Carradine and Mingo. Mingo probably the only one I would take at 12, maybe Ansah if he rises more.

I like Johnson and Avril too but not for the price they are going to want. They are average DE's that are going to get paid due to the weak FA DE class. Jackson isn't a bad player but I don't see it. He is a 3/4 OLB and has 5.5 sacks in 5 years. Don't see him getting 8 sacks definitely not as an OLB in our system.

Mingo is the only one I would consider taking at #12. We need a pass rusher across from Wake though bad but I just don't see us getting one this offseason...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: