Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Marinelli to Dallas
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WareWolf94

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Marinelli to Dallas Reply with quote

Dont know the capacity, heard on radio here in Tampa.

Very pumped. Guessing DL

Thanks to SHSTE

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=25584

When you're right, you're right.
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=510030&start=510

Sig courtesy of mack.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And Marinelli apparently has a destination in mind.

According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, Marinelli is expected to go to Dallas to join the staff of new Cowboys defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/17/marinelli-expected-to-join-kiffin-in-dallas/

Quote:
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet

For those asking about ex-Bears DC Rod Marinelli, #Cowboys source says he "expects" Marinelli to join Kiffin's Dallas staff in some capacity
Northland

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some guys make better position coaches or coordinators then head coaches. I think Marinelli would be a solid hire as D Line Coach.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northland wrote:
Some guys make better position coaches or coordinators then head coaches. I think Marinelli would be a solid hire as D Line Coach.

He was just DC to a top 5 defense that was also the NFL's leading defense in turnovers and points scored.

With that said - according to the Bears forum he never wanted to be a DC, only a DL coach.
Northland

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
Northland wrote:

He was just DC to a top 5 defense that was also the NFL's leading defense in turnovers and points scored.

With that said - according to the Bears forum he never wanted to be a DC, only a DL coach.

I'm justifying the hiring (if it happens). When all is said and done Marinelli won't be remembered as a Head Coach it will be for his work as a coordinator and position coach. I think he will be a good, hands on teacher.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
Northland wrote:

Allow me to expand on this a little bit. Rod was really hurt after the way things went in Detroit. He wasn't given talent, he was blamed for a team that had no talent but NEVER GAVE UP, going 0-16. His son-in-law was scapegoated, he was pondering retirement. It was a "you won't have Rod to kick around anymore" type feeling for him. Lovie was forced by management to demote his friend Bob Babich from DC after Babich realistically DC'd a defense that in all reality was a top 7 defense but played an obscene # of snaps (that defense was #2 against the run and #7 against the pass, #2 on 3rd down%, #2 in turnovers yet ended up #21 in total defense) and Lovie reached out to Rod to be his DC. Rod declined but said he would come on as DL coach. When asked about it Rod said that he felt he was meant to be a DL coach, that's what he was best at. A year later, following a 7-9 season, and the pending changing of the guard at the top of the structure, everyone at Halas Hall is basically put on a 1 year deal, win or else. Ron Turner is fired, Lovie has to hire a DC & OC and quite literally NOBODY wanted either job. Lovie reaches out to Martz to take over the offense and makes another plea to Rod to take the DC position. As a personal favor to Lovie, Rod agrees to take the DC job.

He did an outstanding job and will be greatly missed in Chicago. One of the coolest things about Rob, after TC, the players and coaches will sign a few autographs and go back in the locker room. Rod Marinelli stayed out there and signed for every single kid on the sides, must have been out there 2 hours after practice at least signing.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
Matts4313

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn "the Stretch" Smith (Former Cowboys Scout, Radio interview on Galloway and Company, Cowboys Radio Station) just announced that the Cowboys have officially hired Marinelli as the new DL coach.
PredatorPeppers

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod is a very good motivator and D line coach. He's picking a good place to go to going from Chicago with good talent and a hall of famer on their D line to Dallas with a good D line and a future hall of famer on their D line.

The Tampa 2 should get you guys plenty of turnovers but expect the sacks to go down.
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
Glenn "the Stretch" Smith (Former Cowboys Scout, Radio interview on Galloway and Company, Cowboys Radio Station) just announced that the Cowboys have officially hired Marinelli as the new DL coach.

Sweet!

Sig courtesy of mack.
buckwild

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!! Great hire, and Demarcus Ware should be giddy with excitement over this hire.

Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
DallasPride28

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great hire! Always liked Rod. He will do wonders for the line!

Adopt-A-Cowboy(Dez Bryant)
46 catches, 706 yards, 7 touchdown, 15.3 average
Northland

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:

This is good news. Veteran coaches who have a track record of producing are always welcome. I wonder how much DeMarcus Ware will be dropping into coverage now?

He strikes me as a great teacher whose players love him. Nothing wrong with that.
textaz03

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I posted in the other thread,

Marinelli was the defensive line coach for Kiffin in Tampa Bay for 10 seasons. In that span, Tampa Bay finished in the top five in total defense seven times.

Only once did the Bucs finish outside the top 10 in total defense during Marinelli's tenure, and that was when they ended the year at No. 11 in Marinelli's first season with the club. The defense also finished in the top 10 in the league in sacks five times in that 10-year span.

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne
Dallas94Ware

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marinelli's presence is likely to help adjust Ware and possibly Spencer to their new roles at defensive end.

Yes just like every coach, I do think I know everything.

Read the Football FAQ!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: