Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Fair to Middling (Erin is Eating)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Gnat

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:37 am    Post subject: Fair to Middling (Erin is Eating) Reply with quote

Quote:
#Vikings linebacker Erin Henderson says he has bulked up to 248 pounds and expects to play middle, though that can change.

twitter.com/TomPelissero

I don't have much of a problem with that, if he can maintain his lacking speed at that weight, he'll be better fit for the middle, and then let Hodges try and win the job at OLB, and bring in a veteran on a minimum deal, Paris Lenon possibly, to compete with Hodges.

Also, figured we needed a spot to talk about the ILB need.

Lil Uno

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how I feel about Erin in the middle yet. He has never been known as a cover backer and does look a little lost in space. Bulking up will help him be a better player in run support though. Hopefully he is taking pointers from his brother in that regard.

Maxx Williams For Mackey
disaacs

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing is that if they do go to more of a press-man coverage scheme (as it seems that they have been doing over the past year or 2), then Erin will be fine if they decide to move him to the middle full-time (rather than only in nickel). Still not ideal, of course, but he'd be okay.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what makes the college draft and roster building so interesting is that every team can't address every one of its needs in one season.

linebacking becomes our greatest priority now moving forward.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
SemperFeist

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henderson just doesn't have the read and react skills or the instincts to play in the middle. He was constantly late in diagnosing plays from the outside, it's only going to be worse at middle linebacker.

Here's hoping that Mauti's knees are ready to go, or that Cole has been working his butt off in the offseason.
Klomp

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
“@AjKFAN: Henderson said the #Vikings talked to him early in the offseason about moving to the middle, then again after the draft.”

Quote:
“@TomPelissero: Henderson says coaches have made clear they expect him to open OTAs at the mike. That is significant. He apparently is Plan A now. #Vikings”
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the thread title, I assume Erin's new nickname is "the manatee."
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henderson is probably the best option at MLB on the team, currently. Hodges and Mitchell can compete at WLB. I would guess that Mn will look at veteran MLB and OLB options.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't sleep on Nate Williams, the LB/DE to take that last LB and be a special teams guy. Although, if Mauti if is healthy it could get interesting. We have quite a few incumbent linebackers

Greenway
Henderson
Mitchell
Mckenzie
Cole
Dean

With Mckenzie and Dean being key special teamers. May only be 1 LB spot.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id guess that if there are enough quality LBs, players like Dean or McKenzie could be out of a job.
Klomp

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Id guess that if there are enough quality LBs, players like Dean or McKenzie could be out of a job.

Yup, I agree. While they are both core special teamers, they don't do much else. I think only one is on the team next year. I'd also consider Audie's job in jeopardy.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

Yup, I agree. While they are both core special teamers, they don't do much else. I think only one is on the team next year. I'd also consider Audie's job in jeopardy.

I dont get why the team would waste roughly 10% of its roster on players who can only play specials. Therefore, if guys like Cole, Hodges and Mauti can show enough on special teams, the need for McKenzie and Dean significantly declines. Id take one, but not both.
smiley4805

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LB competition is going to be exciting to watch this year. The only problem is I like Cole, and Mauti. What are the chances that they both make the final roster? BTW where did you all get the Class of 2013 sig? I love it.
VikesGuy07

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a Star Tribune Q&A with Erin Henderson:

Quote:
Q: You talked at the end of last year or making sure you stay home on defense and are in the right spot doing what’s asked of you. How do you get over that hurdle of making sure you’re doing that as consistently as you can?
A: When you’re playing the mike, it’s not as big of a deal. It’s not quite the same. Playing the will, you pretty much have to stay on that backside B gap no matter what’s happening. The ball could be going the other way and you want to go chase and you want to go be a part of the action. And then the running back might make a cut and get back through your B gap. It’s not really the same kind of situation once you move over to that mike. You still have to stay at home, still have to stick to your responsibilities. But I think they give you a little bit more freedom here at the mike to go find the ball and make plays.

I thought this was actually an interesting point I hadn't thought about. Erin's problem has always been staying disciplined; he's picked up a reputation as a freelancer. He's right, in a sense, that playing in the middle will actually allow him to do that more, as other players will be asked to take on blocks, freeing the hole up for Erin.

What worries me though is his pass defense, then. That's something you CAN NOT freelance on. He needs to be keyed in to his man assignment/zone, and can't chase the play. That'll get the defense into huge trouble.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smiley4805 wrote:
The LB competition is going to be exciting to watch this year. The only problem is I like Cole, and Mauti. What are the chances that they both make the final roster? BTW where did you all get the Class of 2013 sig? I love it.

I would love to see a Cole and Mauti get their chances as well but I am intrigued by Erin at MLB.. I feel like he can be as good as the run as EJ was in his prime and I love to see that he is bulking up.. Just hope the weight doesn't slow him down anymore in pass coverage because he can't afford that. It seems like a good plan but idk if I'm fully confident in relying on a 1st year MLB and a fourth round pick at WLB to go into the season.. I know we were talking about the options the Vikings might explore at MLB in Dansby and Urlacher but if Leslie and Co. are this confident in Erin in the middle I wonder of there is any chance we bring in a vet FA at WLB.. Anyone know who the remaining OLB FA's are?
2013 Adopt-A-Viking: LB Michael Mauti #56

Baseball: Yankees
Basketball: Knicks
Football: Vikings
Hockey: Rangers
NCAA Basketball: Cuse Orange
NCAA Football: THE Ohio State Buckeyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: