Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Get yer popcorn ready! The strange tale of Manti Te'o...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 24, 25, 26  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
this providence

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think large, team locker rooms are any place for players who are dishonest and make excuses.

No matter what comes to light in the following days, I have a very, very difficult time believing that he didn't have any part in whatever the heck was going on with this "story" and how it came to be portrayed at the time. Either he's a very damaged individual or he's got to be one of the most naive guys to walk the earth.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, this is a fascinating story for some reason. I just cannot get enough, which is unusual for me. I find it hard to believe he was not involved, since his dad is quoted as saying she visited Hawaii.....

second, I heard on ESPN radio this morning that some teams have privately said this will effect him and his status.

if I was a player, I would be trash talking him about this all day.

Finally, I would probably still draft him, assuming he is the BPA and I need a linebacker.
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
Something like this will leave a cloud of suspicion hovering around you for the rest of your life. Character issues come in all shapes and sizes. If you can't be trusted to tell the truth about what you're doing in your public life, how can you be trusted to be honest about your understanding of your role on the field?

hmm...

will this not be possibly seen as just a dumb move by an immature guy, with respect to personal relationships and public networking? if he fully admits what he knows about the situation, will that be enough?
It depends on what his motive for the ruse was.

BlaqOptic wrote:
I dont care that that little girl was adorable... I'll punch her in the face!
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this will be something we (and his teammates) will make jokes about for a while, but it won't hurt his NFL career more than his on the field flaws will.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if he is there in the second round Spielman pulls the trigger and grabs him. Which would make sense spielman likes the golden domers and he would be an upgrade over Brinkley. Plus with a locker room that has Jared Allen and Jerome Simpson in it to help the young kid fix his image i think its a win win situation.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll be something that haunts him his entire career, even if the organization overlooks this as a character flaw, the media and pundits will never live it down. It could be a major blow to his confidence. Even if his story of being the victim of a hoax is true that means 1) the girlfriend he was "dating" was a girl he had never met in person but only online, 2) he never went to her funeral or visited her while she was dying.

I personally don't believe the captain of a prestigious BCS football program had to resort to finding a "girlfriend" online.

The second hand embarrassment is making me cringe - I can't imagine how he feels right now with the whole sports nation either laughing at him or frowning at him. The guy probably won't even be able to find the strength/courage to show his face on campus, or hit the weight room.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or could he just use the media circus that will ensue to fuel his play? Similar to what he did with his supposed "girlfriend".

To be honest though, I am not 100% sold on the fact that he was in on it. I will probably be proven wrong in the end, but I think he just may have been a victim of a sick joke that went further than anticipated.
joru1000

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PurpleNation22 wrote:
Or could he just use the media circus that will ensue to fuel his play? Similar to what he did with his supposed "girlfriend".

To be honest though, I am not 100% sold on the fact that he was in on it. I will probably be proven wrong in the end, but I think he just may have been a victim of a sick joke that went further than anticipated.

We'll you see, I'm assuming everyone who heard his "tragic story" was supporting him through his tough time. He had the media and everyone else backing him and revering him for his bravery through a tragedy. That would give a lot of people confidence.

With this story it seems every thinks he's either a loser, a jerk, or extremely confused. He's almost all alone on this one. That would destroy a lot of peoples' confidence.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think as long as he's emotionally stable, his draft stock won't change.

Its not like he has "character issues".

Weird situation, and whoever actually pulled it off (whether it was both Te'o and Ron Tuisasapo or not) did one hell of a job duping the media.

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
PurpleNation22

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joru1000 wrote:
PurpleNation22 wrote:

We'll you see, I'm assuming everyone who heard his "tragic story" was supporting him through his tough time. He had the media and everyone else backing him and revering him for his bravery through a tragedy. That would give a lot of people confidence.

With this story it seems every thinks he's either a loser, a jerk, or extremely confused. He's almost all alone on this one. That would destroy a lot of peoples' confidence.

You are exactly right. It will depend on Manti's true identity as a person. If he's the kind that we once believed, that nothing will get him down, nothing will stop him, and that he'll keep fighting, then I think he can come back strong.

However, if this was all a hoax and he was in on it, and his character is really truly awful and people don't want to back him up, then he may fall off the map. I like to think that he will still have a fair number of supporters, but that is because I am staying positive and guessing that he wasn't in on it. Even though I will probably get burned.
The Gnat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now we have no idea if Te'o was a part of an elaborate hoax or if he was a victim of an elaborate hoax. THis story needs time to be fully vetted as I've seen evidence that would suggest he might have know, and evidence to suggest that he was the victim.

AQuintus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
I think as long as he's emotionally stable, his draft stock won't change.

Question

If he participated in a massive hoax involving a fake dead girlfriend, then I'd say that he has some pretty massive character issues.

With that said, if there's no clear, damning proof that Te'o was in on this (which will likely be the case), then I don't see him falling past the Bengals.
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:

I would say having the wherewithal to exploit a phony personal tragedy to cynically build up one's own image is a pretty major character issue.

And frankly, the theory that he was the victim in all this just holds no water in light of the facts. What he told to the media about being on the phone with this supposed girl, listening to her breathe was just pure manipulation. As was the story of how they supposedly 'met'.

BlaqOptic wrote:
I dont care that that little girl was adorable... I'll punch her in the face!
disaacs

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
perrynoid wrote:
If he is that delusional, why doesn't he just forego a career in pro football and instead run for political office? Being dishonest almost seems like a requirement for the job...

that's not football...

Sad

Neither is where most of this particular discussion can lead. Let's keep it to the football discussion...whether this will have an impact on his football career or his draft stock. If we discuss the actual hoax itself, then we'll have to shut the discussion off, as had to be done in the college football forum.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
VikeSince70

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first thought upon reading this was Teo probably thought he needed to do something outrageous to get any kind of Heisman talk going his way! The Heisman trophy should just be called the offensive player of the year kind of like the NFL MVP award should be called QBMVP Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 2 of 26

Jump to: