Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Get yer popcorn ready! The strange tale of Manti Te'o...
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Get yer popcorn ready! The strange tale of Manti Te'o... Reply with quote

I figure this one is so weird, it deserves its own thread. going to be interesting to watch it unfold, and whether it has implications for the Vikes...

College football star Manti Te'o says he was the victim of a cruel hoax, an elaborate scheme in which he fell for an imaginary girlfriend named Lennay Kekua and mourned her when she died of leukemia. But he still has a lot of explaining to do.

The narrative crafted before and after the expose is full of conflicting information and holes bigger than those in Notre Dame's defensive line during its loss to Alabama. If Te'o wants the public to believe that he was nothing more than a dupe, here are some of the questions and inconsistencies he'll need to clear up....

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/17/16564736-9-baffling-questions-in-the-manti-teo-girlfriend-hoax?lite

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?

Last edited by vike daddy on Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
vike daddy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no doubt, as of today, his draft stock has been hurt, but has his potential career as a pro been hurt? does any of this really matter, or does it matter tremendously?

Webmaster wrote:
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless he comes out and explains more thoroughly I could see an NFL locker room being a tough place for him to fit in.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
Unless he comes out and explains more thoroughly I could see an NFL locker room being a tough place for him to fit in.

but why?

as he broken any laws? did he receive money because of this? did he hurt anyone?

is it worse than a DUI or drug possession?

Webmaster wrote:
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking more from a constant ribbing from teammates perspective. All of that would go away with solid field performance though.
Its A Sabotage

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NFL execs and other players hire murders, robbers, etc, some of the worst people, and can and will tolerate it. They do not like it when someone lies to them. I never really viewed Manti as high as the media did, and have had him as my #3 LB for quite a bit [currently have Arthur Brown and Khaseem Greene rated over him]. He has average at best speed and reacts to plays slowly. Poor tackler, who was only viewed highly for his story, which is why you see some Heisman voters wanting their vote back, but thats a different issue. Hell, Jarvis Jones and Jadeveon Clowney had better years then he did.

#JDI
Klomp

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just seen a mock that puts him in Pittsburgh at 17 (pre-Deadspin). That actually sounds like a really good fit for him. Almost too perfect IMO.
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
rpmwr19 wrote:

but why?

as he broken any laws? did he receive money because of this? did he hurt anyone?

is it worse than a DUI or drug possession?
Something like this will leave a cloud of suspicion hovering around you for the rest of your life. Character issues come in all shapes and sizes. If you can't be trusted to tell the truth about what you're doing in your public life, how can you be trusted to be honest about your understanding of your role on the field? Look at the Titus Young situation in Detroit - he got flagged coming out of college for starting fights with teammates, and then he got caught sabotaging his team on purpose.
How do you know Te'o won't, to preserve whatever shred of a public persona he has left, start setting up teammates to take the fall for his own mistakes on the field? Or worse, create havoc in the locker room to escape accountability?

BlaqOptic wrote:
I dont care that that little girl was adorable... I'll punch her in the face!
Estonianzulu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:

This was my worry when I first heard the story. And imagine the questions he'll get from GM's. I mean, look what happened to Dez Bryant. I'm with Sabotage when it comes to how I view Teo. I don't think he's a high enough impact player to warrant the pick he will be drafted at.

Unless an ILB is Urlacher or Lewis, I don't think he's worth a pick earlier than the 2nd round. Now, i'm no expert on the Vikings by any stretch- but do you think an ILB is at this point that much a bigger need than say a big time #1 WR or another CB?
vike daddy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
Something like this will leave a cloud of suspicion hovering around you for the rest of your life. Character issues come in all shapes and sizes. If you can't be trusted to tell the truth about what you're doing in your public life, how can you be trusted to be honest about your understanding of your role on the field?

hmm...

will this not be possibly seen as just a dumb move by an immature guy, with respect to personal relationships and public networking? if he fully admits what he knows about the situation, will that be enough?

i mean, we have given second chances to Jared Allen (multiple DUI's) and Jerome Simpson (20 pounds of marijuana possession.) can what Te'o has done be worse than those offenses?

Webmaster wrote:
Klomp

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
no doubt, as of today, his draft stock has been hurt, but has his potential career as a pro been hurt? does any of this really matter, or does it matter tremendously?

I think this article sums it up pretty well

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap1000000127631/article/manti-teo-girlfriend-hoax-will-factor-into-nfl-draft-evaluation
vike daddy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, sum up the sum up then. lookin' for some discussion here, son. not links.

Very Happy

Webmaster wrote:
perrynoid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps we can risk one of our 4th round picks on him?

Last edited by perrynoid on Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
vike daddy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perrynoid wrote:
If he is that delusional, why doesn't he just forego a career in pro football and instead run for political office? Being dishonest almost seems like a requirement for the job...

that's not football...

Sad

Webmaster wrote:
Estonianzulu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
well, sum up the sum up then. lookin' for some discussion here, son. not links.

Very Happy

Well, to be fair its not the most in depth discussion of the harm it could cause when it leads off with:

Quote:
Several media members have asked me how this situation could potentially affect Te'o's draft stock. My answer: I have no idea.

Honestly, until the story is complete there wont be any idea what impact it will have

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 1 of 26

Jump to: