Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Should Julius Peppers get cut?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should the Bears cut Julius Peppers to save cap space?
Yes
7%
 7%  [ 3 ]
No
92%
 92%  [ 38 ]
Total Votes : 41

Author Message
AZBearsFan


Moderator
Joined: 04 Feb 2006
Posts: 10964
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
PredatorPeppers wrote:
Tillman is awesome no doubt, but Peppers is more important to the Bears D as well as being the superior player.
Pep gets a lot of love and rightfully so, but the one constant in this defense being great has always been Charles Tillman. Peanut has a HOF resume, just not the accolades. He'll retire as the only player ever in the 40int/40FF club. He is quite possibly the greatest creator of turnovers in the HISTORY OF THE NFL. I've said before and I'll say it again, I doubt Peanut gets into the HOF b/c public perception until the last couple years has always been he's not a shutdown CB, but players have recognized his greatness for a long while and he should not be penalized b/c he plays in a scheme that asks him to keep everything in front of him and make the tackle. He's shown that you can line him up man to man on the best WR in the game and he's going to handle his own.

My favorite Tillman play is still the one from his rookie year where he stole a jump ball from Randy Moss.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zoRzn3ZVTa0
_________________

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ChicagoAl


Joined: 10 Jan 2008
Posts: 7941
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: Should Julius Peppers get cut? Reply with quote

PredatorPeppers wrote:
http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/post/_/id/4681838/peppers-set-for-16m-cap-hit-in-2013

I hope not, Peppers is an awesome player and I really don't think the Bears D would be nearly as good with out him, what do you guys think about this?

Cool information I found here about Peppers...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julius_Peppers

NFL awards and honors
NFL Rookie of the Month (10/02)
2002 NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year
Pro Football Weekly All-Rookie Team (2002)
2004 NFL Alumni Defensive Lineman of the Year
2004 NFC Defensive Player of the Year
NFL 2000's All Decade Team
100 Sacks Club
2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 NFC Pro Bowl
2004, 2006, 2010 All-Pro First Team
2008, 2009, 2012 All-Pro Second Team
Four time NFC Defensive Player of the Month (11/2004, 10/2006, 11/2010, 11/2011)
Five time NFC Defensive Player of the Week (11/13/06, 11/9/08, 11/1/09, 11/18/10,12/23/12)
[edit]Panthers franchise records
Most career sacks (81)
Most career forced fumbles (30)
Longest Interception return: 97 (vs. Denver Broncos 10/10/04)
[edit]NFL records and accomplishments
Most interception return yards by a defensive lineman in NFL history: 178 yds
Most interception return yards in a single season by a defensive lineman in NFL history: 143 yds
Longest interception return by a defensive lineman in NFL history: 97 yds
Most interception return yards in a single game by a defensive lineman in NFL history: 97 yds
Most combined interception and fumble return yards by a defensive lineman in a single season since NFL merger in 1970: 203 yds
Eighteenth most sacks in NFL history: 111.5
Tied for tenth most forced fumbles in NFL history: 37
Tied for second most interceptions by a defensive lineman in NFL history: 8
Third most passes defensed by a defensive lineman in NFL history: 59
Second most blocked kicks in NFL history: 13
They probably will restructure his contract to mitigate the huge cap hit.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
51to54


Joined: 29 Jun 2008
Posts: 1529
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
PredatorPeppers wrote:
Tillman is awesome no doubt, but Peppers is more important to the Bears D as well as being the superior player.
Pep gets a lot of love and rightfully so, but the one constant in this defense being great has always been Charles Tillman. Peanut has a HOF resume, just not the accolades. He'll retire as the only player ever in the 40int/40FF club. He is quite possibly the greatest creator of turnovers in the HISTORY OF THE NFL. I've said before and I'll say it again, I doubt Peanut gets into the HOF b/c public perception until the last couple years has always been he's not a shutdown CB, but players have recognized his greatness for a long while and he should not be penalized b/c he plays in a scheme that asks him to keep everything in front of him and make the tackle. He's shown that you can line him up man to man on the best WR in the game and he's going to handle his own.

Like a MLB playing in a cover two so he doesn't get many sacks and there is no stat for forcing QB's to throw elsewhere because 54, er, the MLB has dropped deeper than merely mortal MLB should be dropping.

Aside from that plug for 54, Tillman has been since his Moss defense, my 1B favorite Bear next to Urlacher's 1A. While 54 has gotten more love than warranted in many cases, Tillman has often times been the forgotten man and as noted, the Devin Hester of forced fumbles and a top quality person to boot.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mteward


Joined: 01 Feb 2012
Posts: 130
Location: Newcastle
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He obviously will be around this year and if he recovers from his injury and performs well next year I can see him being around for a while! In my opinion Melton is now the main man on the line so if next year Peppers isn't performing as expected then I would make the move and look to draft his replacement early in the 2014 draft!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PredatorPeppers


Joined: 14 Jan 2013
Posts: 95
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mteward wrote:
He obviously will be around this year and if he recovers from his injury and performs well next year I can see him being around for a while! In my opinion Melton is now the main man on the line so if next year Peppers isn't performing as expected then I would make the move and look to draft his replacement early in the 2014 draft!


Melton is very good, but he benefits greatly from having Peppers on the D line taking up most of the attention from opposing teams blocking schemes. If Peppers were to leave, I don't think the Bears D line would be very impressive.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WindyCity


Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 9828
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something has to be done about he 16.3 million dollar number.

But you don't build an offence that can win by getting rid of your best defender.
_________________
Adopt a Bear: DT Will Sutton [T, S, TFL, FF]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sugashane


Joined: 06 Jan 2013
Posts: 1164
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PredatorPeppers wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
I have a feeling that the only yes votes you'll get here are from fans of other teams, b/c obviously not. 11 1/2 sacks w/ plantar fasciatis is pretty damn good.


I agree.

Just curious, is there any defensive player in the NFL you would rather have on the Bears over Julius Peppers?


Do you mean currently or to have for an entire career? With Pep getting closer to the end of his career there are many younger players I would rather have.

Watt, Willis, Navorro Bowman, etc all have a lot more years left than Pep, but you can't guarantee they have a full career. Injuries happen, like what happened to David Pollack.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gene


Joined: 03 Jan 2013
Posts: 91
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PredatorPeppers wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
I have a feeling that the only yes votes you'll get here are from fans of other teams, b/c obviously not. 11 1/2 sacks w/ plantar fasciatis is pretty damn good.


I agree.

Just curious, is there any defensive player in the NFL you would rather have on the Bears over Julius Peppers?
Wait...are you really saying that you think Julius Peppers is the single best defender in the NFL? I could probably come up with twenty D players just off the top of my head that I'd happily trade him straight-up for right now. If I really took my time, it'd be even more. He's not even the best guy on the Bears line anymore. He gets double-teamed about 100x less than you make it out to be.

Of course, your screen name kind of tells us all we need to know. Wink

I'm not saying he's a bad player; he's still good, but his deal needs to be restructured. All that needs to be done is to convert more of his base salary into signing bonus so that it's pro-rated over the length of the deal. That lowers his cap number without actually costing him any money. If he's just crazy selfish and needs ALL of that money NOW instead of accepting it over the next few years, then I'd try to trade him for whatever I could get and use his money toward extensions for Wootton and Melton...but I can't imagine he'd do that. He's already rich to a ridiculous degree and I'm sure he really wants a ring before father time forces him out of the league in 3-4 years. He probably only has about 2 years of being on the "really good" level left in him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Superman(DH23)


Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 19294
Location: Abdi on the sick sig
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene wrote:
PredatorPeppers wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
I have a feeling that the only yes votes you'll get here are from fans of other teams, b/c obviously not. 11 1/2 sacks w/ plantar fasciatis is pretty damn good.


I agree.

Just curious, is there any defensive player in the NFL you would rather have on the Bears over Julius Peppers?
Wait...are you really saying that you think Julius Peppers is the single best defender in the NFL? I could probably come up with twenty D players just off the top of my head that I'd happily trade him straight-up for right now. If I really took my time, it'd be even more. He's not even the best guy on the Bears line anymore. He gets double-teamed about 100x less than you make it out to be.

Of course, your screen name kind of tells us all we need to know. Wink

I'm not saying he's a bad player; he's still good, but his deal needs to be restructured. All that needs to be done is to convert more of his base salary into signing bonus so that it's pro-rated over the length of the deal. That lowers his cap number without actually costing him any money. If he's just crazy selfish and needs ALL of that money NOW instead of accepting it over the next few years, then I'd try to trade him for whatever I could get and use his money toward extensions for Wootton and Melton...but I can't imagine he'd do that. He's already rich to a ridiculous degree and I'm sure he really wants a ring before father time forces him out of the league in 3-4 years. He probably only has about 2 years of being on the "really good" level left in him.
First that's not how it works, only the signing bonus can be prorated, but that only applies to how its figured in cap wise, signing bonus' are paid out 100% up front. The $1.3M signing bonus hit this year, Pep has already rec'd that money. He rec'd that money at the time he signed, its part of his $6.5M signing bonus. So selfishness has nothing to do w/ the cap situation at all.

The only way to restructure Pep's contract is to sign him to an ext, but here's the rub w/ that, Pep's due ~ $43M over the next 3 years, at least $20M of that would need to be converted to a signing bonus in that ext. So you are probably talking at least a 4 year ext. Basically, the Bears are going to take a big hit at some point in the near future. If you don't need that money this year (and they have actually saved for a rainy day and should be pretty ok right now) why not just absorb this year and redo the deal next year when you can just sign him to a 2 year ext then and not have to worry about having a major cap hit coming inevitably.

The other thing to consider w/ Pep is that in any restructuring he does is going to have to be approved by the NFLPA, and they aren't going to be willing to let him take less money, so he's going to get that money no matter what.
_________________

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gene


Joined: 03 Jan 2013
Posts: 91
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
Gene wrote:
PredatorPeppers wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
I have a feeling that the only yes votes you'll get here are from fans of other teams, b/c obviously not. 11 1/2 sacks w/ plantar fasciatis is pretty damn good.


I agree.

Just curious, is there any defensive player in the NFL you would rather have on the Bears over Julius Peppers?
Wait...are you really saying that you think Julius Peppers is the single best defender in the NFL? I could probably come up with twenty D players just off the top of my head that I'd happily trade him straight-up for right now. If I really took my time, it'd be even more. He's not even the best guy on the Bears line anymore. He gets double-teamed about 100x less than you make it out to be.

Of course, your screen name kind of tells us all we need to know. Wink

I'm not saying he's a bad player; he's still good, but his deal needs to be restructured. All that needs to be done is to convert more of his base salary into signing bonus so that it's pro-rated over the length of the deal. That lowers his cap number without actually costing him any money. If he's just crazy selfish and needs ALL of that money NOW instead of accepting it over the next few years, then I'd try to trade him for whatever I could get and use his money toward extensions for Wootton and Melton...but I can't imagine he'd do that. He's already rich to a ridiculous degree and I'm sure he really wants a ring before father time forces him out of the league in 3-4 years. He probably only has about 2 years of being on the "really good" level left in him.
First that's not how it works, only the signing bonus can be prorated, but that only applies to how its figured in cap wise, signing bonus' are paid out 100% up front. The $1.3M signing bonus hit this year, Pep has already rec'd that money. He rec'd that money at the time he signed, its part of his $6.5M signing bonus. So selfishness has nothing to do w/ the cap situation at all.

The only way to restructure Pep's contract is to sign him to an ext, but here's the rub w/ that, Pep's due ~ $43M over the next 3 years, at least $20M of that would need to be converted to a signing bonus in that ext. So you are probably talking at least a 4 year ext. Basically, the Bears are going to take a big hit at some point in the near future. If you don't need that money this year (and they have actually saved for a rainy day and should be pretty ok right now) why not just absorb this year and redo the deal next year when you can just sign him to a 2 year ext then and not have to worry about having a major cap hit coming inevitably.

The other thing to consider w/ Pep is that in any restructuring he does is going to have to be approved by the NFLPA, and they aren't going to be willing to let him take less money, so he's going to get that money no matter what.
No...You can convert base salary into signing bonus. You don't have to sign an extension for it. That's what we did the last time we restructured with him. It's what Matt Stafford did for the Lions. It happens all the time...and you do not have to pay a signing bonus all at once. Teams write language into contract all the time to defer the money, but yes, no matter how it's paid, the cap hit is prorated over the life of the contract.

The people we have to extend to get the cap number down on are Tillman and Marshall, not Peppers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Badger75


Joined: 08 Apr 2008
Posts: 7305
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urlacher, Peppers, Tillman, Melton, Briggs....how old is the new DC compared to the stars he will coach?
_________________
"I have to keep playing so people over 40 will have somebody to root for on Sunday afternoons." George Blanda who played until he was 46
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Superman(DH23)


Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 19294
Location: Abdi on the sick sig
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
Gene wrote:
PredatorPeppers wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
I have a feeling that the only yes votes you'll get here are from fans of other teams, b/c obviously not. 11 1/2 sacks w/ plantar fasciatis is pretty damn good.


I agree.

Just curious, is there any defensive player in the NFL you would rather have on the Bears over Julius Peppers?
Wait...are you really saying that you think Julius Peppers is the single best defender in the NFL? I could probably come up with twenty D players just off the top of my head that I'd happily trade him straight-up for right now. If I really took my time, it'd be even more. He's not even the best guy on the Bears line anymore. He gets double-teamed about 100x less than you make it out to be.

Of course, your screen name kind of tells us all we need to know. Wink

I'm not saying he's a bad player; he's still good, but his deal needs to be restructured. All that needs to be done is to convert more of his base salary into signing bonus so that it's pro-rated over the length of the deal. That lowers his cap number without actually costing him any money. If he's just crazy selfish and needs ALL of that money NOW instead of accepting it over the next few years, then I'd try to trade him for whatever I could get and use his money toward extensions for Wootton and Melton...but I can't imagine he'd do that. He's already rich to a ridiculous degree and I'm sure he really wants a ring before father time forces him out of the league in 3-4 years. He probably only has about 2 years of being on the "really good" level left in him.
First that's not how it works, only the signing bonus can be prorated, but that only applies to how its figured in cap wise, signing bonus' are paid out 100% up front. The $1.3M signing bonus hit this year, Pep has already rec'd that money. He rec'd that money at the time he signed, its part of his $6.5M signing bonus. So selfishness has nothing to do w/ the cap situation at all.

The only way to restructure Pep's contract is to sign him to an ext, but here's the rub w/ that, Pep's due ~ $43M over the next 3 years, at least $20M of that would need to be converted to a signing bonus in that ext. So you are probably talking at least a 4 year ext. Basically, the Bears are going to take a big hit at some point in the near future. If you don't need that money this year (and they have actually saved for a rainy day and should be pretty ok right now) why not just absorb this year and redo the deal next year when you can just sign him to a 2 year ext then and not have to worry about having a major cap hit coming inevitably.

The other thing to consider w/ Pep is that in any restructuring he does is going to have to be approved by the NFLPA, and they aren't going to be willing to let him take less money, so he's going to get that money no matter what.
No...You can convert base salary into signing bonus. You don't have to sign an extension for it. That's what we did the last time we restructured with him. It's what Matt Stafford did for the Lions. It happens all the time...and you do not have to pay a signing bonus all at once. Teams write language into contract all the time to defer the money, but yes, no matter how it's paid, the cap hit is prorated over the life of the contract.

The people we have to extend to get the cap number down on are Tillman and Marshall, not Peppers.
Let me explain this, you can't just "convert" money, you have to sign a new contract, he has ~ $43M in base salary over the next 3 years. And no, you don't defer signing bonus, you pay guaranteed money in other bonus'. In order to justify converting that $43M into a signing bonus, you would have to extend it, otherwise the NFLPA or the NFL isn't going to go for it.
_________________

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gene


Joined: 03 Jan 2013
Posts: 91
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
Gene wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
Gene wrote:
PredatorPeppers wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
I have a feeling that the only yes votes you'll get here are from fans of other teams, b/c obviously not. 11 1/2 sacks w/ plantar fasciatis is pretty damn good.


I agree.

Just curious, is there any defensive player in the NFL you would rather have on the Bears over Julius Peppers?
Wait...are you really saying that you think Julius Peppers is the single best defender in the NFL? I could probably come up with twenty D players just off the top of my head that I'd happily trade him straight-up for right now. If I really took my time, it'd be even more. He's not even the best guy on the Bears line anymore. He gets double-teamed about 100x less than you make it out to be.

Of course, your screen name kind of tells us all we need to know. Wink

I'm not saying he's a bad player; he's still good, but his deal needs to be restructured. All that needs to be done is to convert more of his base salary into signing bonus so that it's pro-rated over the length of the deal. That lowers his cap number without actually costing him any money. If he's just crazy selfish and needs ALL of that money NOW instead of accepting it over the next few years, then I'd try to trade him for whatever I could get and use his money toward extensions for Wootton and Melton...but I can't imagine he'd do that. He's already rich to a ridiculous degree and I'm sure he really wants a ring before father time forces him out of the league in 3-4 years. He probably only has about 2 years of being on the "really good" level left in him.
First that's not how it works, only the signing bonus can be prorated, but that only applies to how its figured in cap wise, signing bonus' are paid out 100% up front. The $1.3M signing bonus hit this year, Pep has already rec'd that money. He rec'd that money at the time he signed, its part of his $6.5M signing bonus. So selfishness has nothing to do w/ the cap situation at all.

The only way to restructure Pep's contract is to sign him to an ext, but here's the rub w/ that, Pep's due ~ $43M over the next 3 years, at least $20M of that would need to be converted to a signing bonus in that ext. So you are probably talking at least a 4 year ext. Basically, the Bears are going to take a big hit at some point in the near future. If you don't need that money this year (and they have actually saved for a rainy day and should be pretty ok right now) why not just absorb this year and redo the deal next year when you can just sign him to a 2 year ext then and not have to worry about having a major cap hit coming inevitably.

The other thing to consider w/ Pep is that in any restructuring he does is going to have to be approved by the NFLPA, and they aren't going to be willing to let him take less money, so he's going to get that money no matter what.
No...You can convert base salary into signing bonus. You don't have to sign an extension for it. That's what we did the last time we restructured with him. It's what Matt Stafford did for the Lions. It happens all the time...and you do not have to pay a signing bonus all at once. Teams write language into contract all the time to defer the money, but yes, no matter how it's paid, the cap hit is prorated over the life of the contract.

The people we have to extend to get the cap number down on are Tillman and Marshall, not Peppers.
Let me explain this, you can't just "convert" money, you have to sign a new contract, he has ~ $43M in base salary over the next 3 years. And no, you don't defer signing bonus, you pay guaranteed money in other bonus'. In order to justify converting that $43M into a signing bonus, you would have to extend it, otherwise the NFLPA or the NFL isn't going to go for it.
We've already done it once with him. It was not an extension. A restructure is not an extension. It's not a new contract. It's an amendment. This happens to at least a dozen players each offseason. I know they're the boring type of PFT stories, but you must have accidentally clicked on one at some point...? Gave you a link in my last post to the last one we did with Peppers.

This is just like that time I gave you four links about Lovie interviewing his first coordinators and you saying "nuh-uh, Lovie never interviewed those guys, Angelo hired them before Lovie was even chosen to be HC." :/

Patriots doing it with Brady: http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2012/03/brady_restructu.html

Steelers doing it with two players: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/10/steelers-clear-117-million-with-timmons-woodley-restructurings/

Texans/Andre Johnson and Cowboys/Dez Bryant: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/08/andre-johnson-dez-bryant-restructure-their-contracts/

Lions doing it with seemingly half of their team:
http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2012/3/12/2864735/detroit-lions-salary-cap-matthew-stafford-nate-burleson-ndamukong-suh

You should go ahead and tell all of these people reporting base salaries being converted into signing bonuses that they can't do that...including Jason LaCanfora on the league's own website.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Superman(DH23)


Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 19294
Location: Abdi on the sick sig
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
Gene wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
Gene wrote:
PredatorPeppers wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
I have a feeling that the only yes votes you'll get here are from fans of other teams, b/c obviously not. 11 1/2 sacks w/ plantar fasciatis is pretty damn good.


I agree.

Just curious, is there any defensive player in the NFL you would rather have on the Bears over Julius Peppers?
Wait...are you really saying that you think Julius Peppers is the single best defender in the NFL? I could probably come up with twenty D players just off the top of my head that I'd happily trade him straight-up for right now. If I really took my time, it'd be even more. He's not even the best guy on the Bears line anymore. He gets double-teamed about 100x less than you make it out to be.

Of course, your screen name kind of tells us all we need to know. Wink

I'm not saying he's a bad player; he's still good, but his deal needs to be restructured. All that needs to be done is to convert more of his base salary into signing bonus so that it's pro-rated over the length of the deal. That lowers his cap number without actually costing him any money. If he's just crazy selfish and needs ALL of that money NOW instead of accepting it over the next few years, then I'd try to trade him for whatever I could get and use his money toward extensions for Wootton and Melton...but I can't imagine he'd do that. He's already rich to a ridiculous degree and I'm sure he really wants a ring before father time forces him out of the league in 3-4 years. He probably only has about 2 years of being on the "really good" level left in him.
First that's not how it works, only the signing bonus can be prorated, but that only applies to how its figured in cap wise, signing bonus' are paid out 100% up front. The $1.3M signing bonus hit this year, Pep has already rec'd that money. He rec'd that money at the time he signed, its part of his $6.5M signing bonus. So selfishness has nothing to do w/ the cap situation at all.

The only way to restructure Pep's contract is to sign him to an ext, but here's the rub w/ that, Pep's due ~ $43M over the next 3 years, at least $20M of that would need to be converted to a signing bonus in that ext. So you are probably talking at least a 4 year ext. Basically, the Bears are going to take a big hit at some point in the near future. If you don't need that money this year (and they have actually saved for a rainy day and should be pretty ok right now) why not just absorb this year and redo the deal next year when you can just sign him to a 2 year ext then and not have to worry about having a major cap hit coming inevitably.

The other thing to consider w/ Pep is that in any restructuring he does is going to have to be approved by the NFLPA, and they aren't going to be willing to let him take less money, so he's going to get that money no matter what.
No...You can convert base salary into signing bonus. You don't have to sign an extension for it. That's what we did the last time we restructured with him. It's what Matt Stafford did for the Lions. It happens all the time...and you do not have to pay a signing bonus all at once. Teams write language into contract all the time to defer the money, but yes, no matter how it's paid, the cap hit is prorated over the life of the contract.

The people we have to extend to get the cap number down on are Tillman and Marshall, not Peppers.
Let me explain this, you can't just "convert" money, you have to sign a new contract, he has ~ $43M in base salary over the next 3 years. And no, you don't defer signing bonus, you pay guaranteed money in other bonus'. In order to justify converting that $43M into a signing bonus, you would have to extend it, otherwise the NFLPA or the NFL isn't going to go for it.
We've already done it once with him. It was not an extension. A restructure is not an extension. It's not a new contract. It's an amendment. This happens to at least a dozen players each offseason. I know they're the boring type of PFT stories, but you must have accidentally clicked on one at some point...? Gave you a link in my last post to the last one we did with Peppers.

This is just like that time I gave you four links about Lovie interviewing his first coordinators and you saying "nuh-uh, Lovie never interviewed those guys, Angelo hired them before Lovie was even chosen to be HC." :/

Patriots doing it with Brady: http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2012/03/brady_restructu.html

Steelers doing it with two players: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/10/steelers-clear-117-million-with-timmons-woodley-restructurings/

Texans/Andre Johnson and Cowboys/Dez Bryant: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/08/andre-johnson-dez-bryant-restructure-their-contracts/

Lions doing it with seemingly half of their team:
http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2012/3/12/2864735/detroit-lions-salary-cap-matthew-stafford-nate-burleson-ndamukong-suh

You should go ahead and tell all of these people reporting base salaries being converted into signing bonuses that they can't do that...including Jason LaCanfora on the league's own website.
It's pretty clear you don't even read your own links, nor do you have any understanding of contract law.


Quote:
By doing so, he saves New England $7.2 million against the salary cap for the coming season, but his cap number in 2013 and 2014 now will be higher.


They are writing new contracts, they aren't just converting money, yes that's how its worded to the public so that the public can understand, but they aren't just converting the money, they are signing new contracts, restructuring pre-agreed upon deals to affect the cap hit. I never said we couldn't do that, I said that it doesn't make sense b/c he has $43M in base salary over the next 3 years, so in order to justify the appx $20M signing bonus you want to be able to do, you need an ext.
_________________

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ConVict90


Joined: 20 Sep 2009
Posts: 2249
Location: San Diego
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this really a thread?
_________________
Adopt-A-Bear: (A-Dub) Adrian Wilson

TCKL-
SCK-
FF-
INT-
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group