Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Official Chip Kelly coaching staff/news - 1:00 press conf.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 94, 95, 96, 97  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheRealMcCoy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RollEagles wrote:
If Chip Kelly doesn't have a good first year, people who started off as skeptics will see that as an opportunity to toot their own horn. There will be those who were extremely hopeful that will overreact to a bad season.

If the Eagles do have a good first year under Chip Kelly, there will be those who say the NFL didn't know what Chip would do and that the NFL will catch up in year two.

As a courtesy to your own mental health, sit back and enjoy the ride.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3rhQc666Sg

what happens in the case of a mediocre season?
Kempes

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teddy Bridgewater is what happens.

But no, we'd have to have a terrible year for that to arise. I'd be pleasantly surprised if we finish with a better record than 8-8 this year.
Dr. Philly

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless it's the playoffs, Chip will be crucified by the media. If he shows improvement then he should be fine in my eyes

simonwayne wrote:
LeBron has done for the NBA what Teen Mom has done for teenage pregnancies

#JDI
Kiltman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Philly wrote:
Unless it's the playoffs, Chip will be crucified by the media. If he shows improvement then he should be fine in my eyes

Yea agreed, hopefully most fans aren't that stupid too. I expect a fun year and intriguing year....couldn't really tell you what the record will be.

...and hopefully this thing Monday doesn't get too big I'll be glad to hear a little something from the staff including more from Chip.....but it must avoid being a hype circus.

Luckily coaches usually aren't as dumb as players are with their words.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Implementing 2 completely new schemes.
Trying teach our front seven on D
Growing pains from the QB position.
Growing pains from the staff
The overall lack of high end talent
All this coupled with schedule we have to pay next season.

I'll be thrilled if we win 4 games next season.

Props to Eagles _808 on the sig.
PE, the new poster child for birth control.

Birdman, slowest to 10K
Dr. Philly

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

birdman0069 wrote:

Our schedule is alright, not that tough. 6-10 isn't that out of the question

simonwayne wrote:

#JDI
birdman0069

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Philly wrote:
birdman0069 wrote:

Where do you see 6 wins on our schedule?
You do remember we won all of our games by a total of 7-10 points right?
I don't care how our QB is. He is still the worst in the division at this point.

Props to Eagles _808 on the sig.
PE, the new poster child for birth control.

Birdman, slowest to 10K
Dr. Philly

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Difference between out of the question and actual prediction. I said at most it's probably 6-10.
QB point I agree with though

simonwayne wrote:

#JDI
killdawabbit

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

birdman0069 wrote:
Dr. Philly wrote:
birdman0069 wrote:

I don't care how our QB is. He is still the worst in the division at this point.

I don't see this as relevant in any way, shape, or form. That had a lot to do with injuries, the Vick turnover machine, and coaching. We'll see if/how all three of those things improve this coming season.

I honestly don't know how anyone can even attempt to predict anything this year. It very well could be a struggle to implement the new schemes, the coaches and players could struggle to gel quickly, the QB position could continue to be up in the air, and Kelly may have growing pains moving to the NFL. Or the coaches could get on the same page quickly, the team could buy into what Chip is selling, whoever ends up the QB could have the light bulb go on, and NFL DCs could struggle with Kelly's offensive concepts. Or really anything in between.

The Eagles, as a team, are not without a solid amount of talent on the current roster. There were a lot of coaching and locker room issues last season. The only things I might find mildly surprising this year are less than 4 wins or more than 10. Those, or anything in between, would not in any way be shocking. Just because we simply don't know at this point is no reason to be overly pessimistic just as Chip's college success and the need for a fresh start this franchise has had are no reason to be overly optimistic.

Location: #championchip #2012BirdsHoF #2012GoldStnd #YAKtoseIntolerant #Merica #TrollyRangers #Danes #BirdGang
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Eagles' site had a piece on the coordinators.

Pat Shurmur - Age 47, 23 years of coaching experience (12 NFL).
"We'll run through a brick wall for him." - Browns LB D'Qwell Jackson.

Billy Davis - Age 47, 21 years of NFL experience.
"I am excited for Billy and I'm excited for the Eagles. I think he will be a good fit for what they're trying to do defensively. He's a very good football coach. I know he gets a lot out of his players. His ability and knowledge from having been in this league I think will be a great addition to Coach Kelly and what they're trying to get done there." - Chargers OC Ken Whisenhunt.

"Billy is a great man and a great coach, one that I have a ton of respect for in the coaching ranks. He has a tremendous work ethic and knows how to get the most out of his players. Philadelphia hired a great coach in Billy and I wish him nothing but the best." - Steelers DC - LeBeau.

Dave Fipp - age 38, 16 years of coaching experience (6 NFL).
What They've Said About Fipp: "He really knows what he's talking about. He's a very player-friendly coach. He's not just going to jump on you for no reason or just yell and scream. But he knows how to coach a kid. He knows how to get through to each individual guy. From what I see of him, I think he knows how to relate to each individual player and to help them get better in whatever way they need to." - 49ers punter Andy Lee.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/article-1/Meet-Chip-Kellys-Coordinators/4350f38b-527b-44ac-add1-c5c682309062

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Only for the quick and lucky.

Danish proverb 3:69
RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the D'Qwell Jackson quote.

"Do you imagine Whoresbane loves you any better? If you did not hold the ..., he would pull out your entrails and make you eat them"
"In return, we swore that we should always be their men"
EagleBlueDon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

killdawabbit wrote:
birdman0069 wrote:
Dr. Philly wrote:
birdman0069 wrote:

I don't see this as relevant in any way, shape, or form. That had a lot to do with injuries, the Vick turnover machine, and coaching. We'll see if/how all three of those things improve this coming season.

I honestly don't know how anyone can even attempt to predict anything this year. It very well could be a struggle to implement the new schemes, the coaches and players could struggle to gel quickly, the QB position could continue to be up in the air, and Kelly may have growing pains moving to the NFL. Or the coaches could get on the same page quickly, the team could buy into what Chip is selling, whoever ends up the QB could have the light bulb go on, and NFL DCs could struggle with Kelly's offensive concepts. Or really anything in between.

The Eagles, as a team, are not without a solid amount of talent on the current roster. There were a lot of coaching and locker room issues last season. The only things I might find mildly surprising this year are less than 4 wins or more than 10. Those, or anything in between, would not in any way be shocking. Just because we simply don't know at this point is no reason to be overly pessimistic just as Chip's college success and the need for a fresh start this franchise has had are no reason to be overly optimistic.
+1..just as many unknowns now as before we hired anybody. Zero materialization until week 1. That's all we have to go by are names and scheme success speculation. Like killdawabbit said, why be overly pessimistic, when nobody knows how Kelly's offense will fair in the League, nor Bill's defense.
Nabbs4u

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

birdman0069 wrote:

Going into last season where did you see 12 loses? Be honest! Fact is the NFL has to much parity in the league with up's and downs along with injury riddled teams to make any kind of concrete prediction. Just as it was last season. You know when the Vikings were picking again in the top 5 in the 2013 draft or the Redskins were destined for 5-7 wins and 4th place in the NFCE? Carolina and the Eagles were going to make a step forward and contend for the Division with 10-12 wins? If anything Bird this is without a doubt the one year you can't make a viable prediction because none of us to a man have a clue what is in store with a Entirely New Coaching Staff. No longer can we "Assume" (you know the saying right) Reid will find a way to make the playoffs. It's a brand new era and until 2-3 years past we won't know how the Kelly hiring will have unfolded. Anyone thinking one way or the other this first season good/bad is the tell tell all for his tenure is fooling themselves. Much like everyone who jumped all over the Dream Team BS two years ago.

Bird Watch:
Jeremy Maclin: 16 Rec/ 296 Yds/ 3 TD/ 18.5 YPC/
EaglesFan5-36-81

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

birdman0069 wrote:

No Eagle fan would be...
Phire

Location: #championchip #2012BirdsHoF #2012GoldStnd #YAKtoseIntolerant #Merica #TrollyRangers #Danes #BirdGang
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody should be blaming people for looking at the situation pragmatically.

These are just the facts. College coaches with no NFL experience have not had the greatest of transitions throughout history. Chip Kelly is a brilliant football coach, and I'm excited for him. But that excitement doesn't compensate for the fact that he has never coached millionaires and professional athletes in general. It's a different landscape.

Chip Kelly will basically be directing the operations in Philadelphia, but without much experience himself. Sure, between Shurmur and Davis he'll have the necessary help, but it's still Chip's vision that's going to make the wheels turn. If not, why is he the head coach?

Then getting into Shurmur and Davis. Again, if we're looking at this pragmatically, can you really blame people for being pessimistic?

Davis has failed in his two stints as defensive coordinator. No organization throughout his pro career has ever kept him for more than 3 seasons. If he's a productive, quality member of your staff, you'd think someone at some point would have kept him around longer than 3 years.

Shurmur isn't a bad coach by any means, but he's also not someone you can really get excited for. If my memory serves me right, he's only been an offensive coordinator for 2 or so seasons with St. Louis, where he had some success.

You still get a bad taste in your mouth because he served on Reid's staff for 10 or so years, the same guy we just fired.

Is outright trashing the team at this point warranted? Absolutely not. Jim Johnson was an unknown coach who had some bad marks on his resume before becoming the legend he is now in Philadelphia.

But you also can't really get mad at the people looking at this situation with some pessimism either. This team has been letting us down for how long? We're used to it, we're expecting it.

Reid did his homework with Jim Johnson.
So we have to put our trust in Chip and hope he knows what he's doing with this coaching staff.

But it still remains that Chip, and even Howie Roseman, are largely doing things for the first time and without any or a whole lot of experience at this level.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Only for the quick and lucky.

Danish proverb 3:69

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 94, 95, 96, 97  Next
Page 95 of 97

Jump to: