Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Offseason Discussion: Trestman/Emery Year 1
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaMike

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChiSportsFan wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
I don't have Ogletree on the same level as Teo and Minter. I think Teo is a much more complete player.
I think T'eo is strictly a 3-4 ILB. He's not going to be able to run sideline to sideline in the NFL. And this is not factoring the MAJOR red flag he has right now. Either he is extremely gullible and not intelligent (not good for his draft status) or he is a manipulative liar who will do anything to get what he wants (not good for his draft status). We just saw Vontaze Burfict who was every bit the player on the field that T'eo is, and similar athletically, go undrafted b/c of his lack of personal accountability. Unless Te'o can really come up w/ some tough answers and evidence to support it, I can't see a team touching him before the 4th right now.
How is he a better fit as a 3-4 ILB? His best fit is in a scheme similar to ours. After he lost weight his athleticism went up. He's a really good athlete with good long speed. Not elite but good enough. He makes plays sideline to sideline now. The field isn't any wider in the NFL. He's better in zone then in man.

He's average athletically and he does not have sideline to sideline range.
Have you seen him play?
DaMike

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
I don't have Ogletree on the same level as Teo and Minter. I think Teo is a much more complete player.
I think T'eo is strictly a 3-4 ILB. He's not going to be able to run sideline to sideline in the NFL. And this is not factoring the MAJOR red flag he has right now. Either he is extremely gullible and not intelligent (not good for his draft status) or he is a manipulative liar who will do anything to get what he wants (not good for his draft status). We just saw Vontaze Burfict who was every bit the player on the field that T'eo is, and similar athletically, go undrafted b/c of his lack of personal accountability. Unless Te'o can really come up w/ some tough answers and evidence to support it, I can't see a team touching him before the 4th right now.
How is he a better fit as a 3-4 ILB? His best fit is in a scheme similar to ours. After he lost weight his athleticism went up. He's a really good athlete with good long speed. Not elite but good enough. He makes plays sideline to sideline now. The field isn't any wider in the NFL. He's better in zone then in man.

If you think Burfict and Teo are similar you don't know what you're talking about. They're closer to polar opposites.
As a 3-4 ILB he'll be moving downhill, not sideline to sideline. Think Ray Lewis vs. Brian Urlacher
That's not always true. You're not moving downhill against the pass. Playing in a zone scheme is best for him since he's a better zone defender then man.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
ChiSportsFan wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:

Have you seen him play?
Did you watch the BCSCG? Sideline to sideline is college is not the same as sideline to sideline in the NFL.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
BonanzaHawk

Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:

Don't even. This isn't even a comparison. Vontaze was very, very good, but his problem was that he was a belligerent psycho both on and off the field. He went undrafted because teams fear that guys like him would not only be a nuisance, but are likely to be banned from the league.

As of now, all Te'o is is a pathetic romantic, which won't show up on the field. (Although it sure seemed to against Bama.)
DaMike

Superman(DH23) wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:

Yeah let’s not go overboard here…Te’o is a better player than Taze ever was…will run better than Taze did and even with this situation whatever the outcome is will still not be the headcase on the field Taze was.
Taze was an outstanding player, people forget before his senior year he was looked at as a top 5 pick. And we've seen that talent translate to the NFL this year. He's shown every bit the talent we all saw on Saturdays. Everywhere I've looked Te'o is projected to run around a 4.9, that ain't much better than Taze.
He was never outstanding. He had an outstanding youtube video though. That single play was great.
DaMike

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
ChiSportsFan wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:

Have you seen him play?
Did you watch the BCSCG? Sideline to sideline is college is not the same as sideline to sideline in the NFL.
That was one game. Also Alabama ran the ball between the tackles the majority of that game. How does that show a lack of sideline to sideline speed? Especially since he's made plays sideline to sideline all year. If think you're just using vague generlizations.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:

If you think Burfict and Teo are similar you don't know what you're talking about. They're closer to polar opposites.
As a 3-4 ILB he'll be moving downhill, not sideline to sideline. Think Ray Lewis vs. Brian Urlacher
That's not always true. You're not moving downhill against the pass. Playing in a zone scheme is best for him since he's a better zone defender then man.
In coverage he's better in zone yes, but a lot of 3-4 defenses play zone too, just like the Bears play a lot of man. Would you trust Te'o to take Urlacher like deep middle drops? I wouldn't. A lot of what our defense does is predicated on 11 hats to the football, that's the kind of range that Te'o doesn't have. He doesn't fit here, not currently. Now if left field happens and we start to transition to a 3-4, then he starts to fit better.

topwop1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
topwop1 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
topwop1 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2013/01/16/tim-tebow-chicago-bears-marc-trestman/1839161/

I can't lie I'm all for this. We need a backup QB.

I also want Teo in the 1st.

Wait a minute did you just say you want Tebow and Te'o for the Bears in the same post?

Where's the common sense in that?
Not sure I understand that question?

Umm well let's see...Tebow is not an NFL quarterback and Te'o is currently under investigation for lying about a relationship he had with a girlfriend that never existed.

He is a phenomenal talent no doubt, but you have to question his sanity. I know the whole innocent until proven guilty thing, but it's not looking good at the moment for Manti.

So my question is do you think Emery is dumb enough to consider adding these two guys to the roster given those facts?
yes I think he's smart enough to do that. We need a backup QB. Our new head coach is high on Tebow and we wouldn't have to invest much if anything to get him. We need a backup who can win football games.

Look I think Tebow is a legitimate good person, but sorry he has no business being a QB in the NFL. Even as a backup QB, he would bring unwanted attention and media frenzy to this team. If Jay is to succeed here as Bears QB under Trestman then Tebow is the last guy they need to come in and push him for the starting job. Now that's just my opinion, but I think you'll find the majority of knowledgeable NFL people agreeing with me on that.
DaMike

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:

In coverage he's better in zone yes, but a lot of 3-4 defenses play zone too, just like the Bears play a lot of man. Would you trust Te'o to take Urlacher like deep middle drops? I wouldn't. A lot of what our defense does is predicated on 11 hats to the football, that's the kind of range that Te'o doesn't have. He doesn't fit here, not currently. Now if left field happens and we start to transition to a 3-4, then he starts to fit better.
There aren't 5 LBs in the history of the game that can play the Tama 2 Mike like Urlacher can. You can't put that against Teo.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
ChiSportsFan wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:

Have you seen him play?
That was one game. Also Alabama ran the ball between the tackles the majority of that game. How does that show a lack of sideline to sideline speed? Especially since he's made plays sideline to sideline all year. If think you're just using vague generlizations.
Again, college sideline to sideline speed is different than the pros. Look at the MLBs in the NFL, they are all 4.5 guys or better w/ few exceptions, and those exceptions, have exceptional instincts and play in schemes which hide their deficiencies athletically. Te'o can come downhill and fill a gap w/ the best of them. I don't trust him to get to the edge and provide outside gap support.

Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:

There aren't 5 LBs in the history of the game that can play the Tama 2 Mike like Urlacher can. You can't put that against Teo.
From what I've seen Ogletree can. Also has a similar career path to Lach. Now I'm not saying Ogletree can come in and play as well as a future HOFer, I'm just saying that athletically he fits a lot better than Te'o does.

DaMike

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

topwop1 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
topwop1 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
topwop1 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2013/01/16/tim-tebow-chicago-bears-marc-trestman/1839161/

I can't lie I'm all for this. We need a backup QB.

I also want Teo in the 1st.

Wait a minute did you just say you want Tebow and Te'o for the Bears in the same post?

Where's the common sense in that?
Not sure I understand that question?

Umm well let's see...Tebow is not an NFL quarterback and Te'o is currently under investigation for lying about a relationship he had with a girlfriend that never existed.

He is a phenomenal talent no doubt, but you have to question his sanity. I know the whole innocent until proven guilty thing, but it's not looking good at the moment for Manti.

So my question is do you think Emery is dumb enough to consider adding these two guys to the roster given those facts?
yes I think he's smart enough to do that. We need a backup QB. Our new head coach is high on Tebow and we wouldn't have to invest much if anything to get him. We need a backup who can win football games.

Look I think Tebow is a legitimate good person, but sorry he has no business being a QB in the NFL. Even as a backup QB, he would bring unwanted attention and media frenzy to this team. If Jay is to succeed here as Bears QB under Trestman then Tebow is the last guy they need to come in and push him for the starting job. Now that's just my opinion, but I think you'll find the majority of knowledgeable NFL people agreeing with me on that.
I think he can be one of the better backup QBs in the league if he's in the right situation. I dont think the media would be as bad here since this isnt New York and we wouldnt have a QB contriversy. Cutler is clearly better. Tebow can win games. He's proven that.
DaMike

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:

From what I've seen Ogletree can. Also has a similar career path to Lach. Now I'm not saying Ogletree can come in and play as well as a future HOFer, I'm just saying that athletically he fits a lot better than Te'o does.
Aaron Rouse also had a similar path to Urlacher. Being an athlete doesnt make you a great football player. Just like I stated last draft when Dwight Jones and Stephen Hill were the end all be all of WRs. I'll take the football player over the athlete 10 times out of 10.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:

Yeah let’s not go overboard here…Te’o is a better player than Taze ever was…will run better than Taze did and even with this situation whatever the outcome is will still not be the headcase on the field Taze was.
Taze was an outstanding player, people forget before his senior year he was looked at as a top 5 pick. And we've seen that talent translate to the NFL this year. He's shown every bit the talent we all saw on Saturdays. Everywhere I've looked Te'o is projected to run around a 4.9, that ain't much better than Taze.
He was never outstanding. He had an outstanding youtube video though. That single play was great.
What are you talking about? Never outstanding? He was an absolute playmaker in college, but he had issues w/ freelancing (which he usually guessed right anyways b/c he has sick instincts) and he was a complete headcase who had no personal accountability. Nothing was Taze's fault in his mind, and he suffered in his wallet MAJORLY b/c of it. But he's shown that exact same playmaking ability he did at ASU in Cincinatti and has opened the door for Cinci to waive goodbye to Rey.

DaMike

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
ChiSportsFan wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:

Have you seen him play?
Again, college sideline to sideline speed is different than the pros. Look at the MLBs in the NFL, they are all 4.5 guys or better w/ few exceptions, and those exceptions, have exceptional instincts and play in schemes which hide their deficiencies athletically. Te'o can come downhill and fill a gap w/ the best of them. I don't trust him to get to the edge and provide outside gap support.
I'd say 4.5 is the exception. There are probably more guys who ran a 4.6 or slower. Tep has those exceptional instincts and has proven he can get to the sideline consistently.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: