Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

OT - Chip Kelly is the New Eagles Coach
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bears2308

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

topwop1 wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
TytybearsFan21 wrote:
CBears019 wrote:
Chip Kelly choosing the Eagles is stealing all the air time on ESPN that would be about the Bears and Trestman.

All they're talking about is Kelly and the possibility of LeBron going back to Cleveland....

LeBron James?
Yeah, Wade, James, & Bosh don't seem to really work all that well on the floor together.

Umm well they did win an NBA title last year together and have a great shot at repeating again. Why fix something if it ain't broke?

Wade is already slowing down and Bosh, IMO, has been nearly expendable since joining the Heat. Wade will continue to decline in LeBron's final 2 years and Cleveland has a plethora of young talent on their roster. Not to mention James still lives in Ohio during the off-season.
IronMike84

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chip Kelly, "I'm staying at Oregon... wait, no I'm not." What a scumbag. He should go hang out with Lane Kiffin.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrible move on many levels…

IMO his current offence won’t work in the NFL and as much as he may be able to install an offence that will he hasn’t proven that he can…

They will have vastly overpaid for his services and at the end of the day he is an unproven HC at this level…

They let Gus Bradley walk and IMO he is going to make a quality HC…

They have back themselves in to a corner where they basically have to try and move up for Geno Smith so they have a QB to run Kelly’s philosophy.
Epyon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:

IMO his current offence won’t work in the NFL and as much as he may be able to install an offence that will he hasn’t proven that he can…

They will have vastly overpaid for his services and at the end of the day he is an unproven HC at this level…

They have back themselves in to a corner where they basically have to try and move up for Geno Smith so they have a QB to run Kelly’s philosophy.

His current offense won't work in the NFL, you mean like it isn't currently working for Seattle, San Fransisco, Carolina, and Washington? Or that up tempo doesn't work like the Patriots? His entire philosophy of threatening to use the quarterback as a ball carrier to "block" a single defender is quickly becoming a trend in the league as people are realizing how much more effective you can be with an extra "blocker" (and I mean "block", by forcing a defender to sit and watch the QB, or risk getting burned for big yards, rather than the current NFL trend of playing 11 vs 10, while the QB sits in the pocket)....

Frankly, I'm pissed he wasn't even on Emery's radar... Philly has the speed, but Chip's system depends on blocking, by both the line and the receivers.... 2 Giants like Alshon and Marshall, combined with a zone blocking scheme for our rbgs, the the use of running backs as receivers (Forte/Bush/Allen all have hands), and a slot receiver/bubble screen role that may even have worked for Hester all could made Chicago a really solid fit for Chip. Also, QB speed isn't all that important... Cutler is hardly a track star, and still got 6th in yards per carry amongst QBs with over 5 carries, just barely behind Cam. He got those yards because he was an uncovered/unaccounted for ball carrier, which again, is the entire point of Oregon offense using the QB that way as well.

That said, Chip won't be very successful this year, in the NFL, but it will be because Philly's O-Line is actually somehow worse than Chicago's, not because of a lack of talent on Chip's part. You should probably start worrying about playing Philly this year, as a Bears fan... The extreme up tempo offense is going to really hurt versus our senior citizen defense, and we've already seen how well our D does versus teams with mobile QBs (San Fran, Seattle kicked our asses, and Carolina played us to the wire with a completely fail defense).

I'd also agree, that Philly is undoubtedly paying a pretty ludicrous amount of money to get Chip back away from Oregon and the sweet Nike love he was getting. On one hand, if he turns Philly into a dynasty ala the Patriots/Belichick (Who went out of his way to consult Chip on running New England's offense) one could argue any price would have been ok.... On the other hand, it also raises the likely hood that even with mediocre success on the level of Lovie Smith, Chip will get inevitably compared with the likes of Spurrier.

As far as "unproven at this level" statistics show that there is NO STATISTICALLY SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCE between college coaches and coaches from within the NFL as far as NFL success/Superbowls are concerned. Besides, the "he's just a college coach" thing would seem awfully hypocritical when we just selected a "CFL coach", who despite NFL experience, hasn't been in the league for a while.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epyon wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:

His current offense won't work in the NFL, you mean like it isn't currently working for Seattle, San Fransisco, Carolina, and Washington? Or that up tempo doesn't work like the Patriots? His entire philosophy of threatening to use the quarterback as a ball carrier to "block" a single defender is quickly becoming a trend in the league as people are realizing how much more effective you can be with an extra "blocker" (and I mean "block", by forcing a defender to sit and watch the QB, or risk getting burned for big yards, rather than the current NFL trend of playing 11 vs 10, while the QB sits in the pocket)....

Frankly, I'm pissed he wasn't even on Emery's radar... Philly has the speed, but Chip's system depends on blocking, by both the line and the receivers.... 2 Giants like Alshon and Marshall, combined with a zone blocking scheme for our rbgs, the the use of running backs as receivers (Forte/Bush/Allen all have hands), and a slot receiver/bubble screen role that may even have worked for Hester all could made Chicago a really solid fit for Chip. Also, QB speed isn't all that important... Cutler is hardly a track star, and still got 6th in yards per carry amongst QBs with over 5 carries, just barely behind Cam. He got those yards because he was an uncovered/unaccounted for ball carrier, which again, is the entire point of Oregon offense using the QB that way as well.

That said, Chip won't be very successful this year, in the NFL, but it will be because Philly's O-Line is actually somehow worse than Chicago's, not because of a lack of talent on Chip's part. You should probably start worrying about playing Philly this year, as a Bears fan... The extreme up tempo offense is going to really hurt versus our senior citizen defense, and we've already seen how well our D does versus teams with mobile QBs (San Fran, Seattle kicked our asses, and Carolina played us to the wire with a completely fail defense).

I'd also agree, that Philly is undoubtedly paying a pretty ludicrous amount of money to get Chip back away from Oregon and the sweet Nike love he was getting. On one hand, if he turns Philly into a dynasty ala the Patriots/Belichick (Who went out of his way to consult Chip on running New England's offense) one could argue any price would have been ok.... On the other hand, it also raises the likely hood that even with mediocre success on the level of Lovie Smith, Chip will get inevitably compared with the likes of Spurrier.

As far as "unproven at this level" statistics show that there is NO STATISTICALLY SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCE between college coaches and coaches from within the NFL as far as NFL success/Superbowls are concerned. Besides, the "he's just a college coach" thing would seem awfully hypocritical when we just selected a "CFL coach", who despite NFL experience, hasn't been in the league for a while.

Kelly’s offence is very much so different from Seattle, San Francisco, Carolina, and Washington…not only do all 4 have running games that move them up the field rather than across it like Kelly’s does but they also all have passing games that attack using elements of the WCO…which again Kelly’s doesn’t…

As for Kelly’s scheme depending on blocking do you really think Brandon Marshall is going to be happy being a glorified blocker?...no of course he wouldn’t….playing the zone read takes one of the best receivers out of the game for large periods of the game…how have Oregon’s WRs done over the past few years…

As for your statistics…how many tries did it take Pete Carroll to make it in the NFL?...how did Bobby Petrino…Nick Saban…Lou Holtz…Mike Riley…Butch Davis…Dennis Erickson…and many others all do when they came to the NFL?...your statistics don’t add up to the disaster than many HCs have been coming from the college ranks…Trestman on the other had has been a success in the NFL and won’t be on the ridiculous contract that Kelly will be on.
Epyon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:

Kelly’s offence is very much so different from Seattle, San Francisco, Carolina, and Washington…not only do all 4 have running games that move them up the field rather than across it like Kelly’s does but they also all have passing games that attack using elements of the WCO…which again Kelly’s doesn’t…

As for Kelly’s scheme depending on blocking do you really think Brandon Marshall is going to be happy being a glorified blocker?...no of course he wouldn’t….playing the zone read takes one of the best receivers out of the game for large periods of the game…how have Oregon’s WRs done over the past few years…

As for your statistics…how many tries did it take Pete Carroll to make it in the NFL?...how did Bobby Petrino…Nick Saban…Lou Holtz…Mike Riley…Butch Davis…Dennis Erickson…and many others all do when they came to the NFL?...your statistics don’t add up to the disaster than many HCs have been coming from the college ranks…Trestman on the other had has been a success in the NFL and won’t be on the ridiculous contract that Kelly will be on.

Yes, different teams run different offenses, but all 4 of them are using similar concepts and sometimes similar play calling effectively. Also, the 3 most common plays in the Oregon playbook, and the vast majority of their offense are actually all run between the tackles, with the QB option in place to keep the defensive end on the backside "honest" and "block" him.

As far as B-Marsh goes, I think he would be happy with success and wins, whatever form it comes in. The Oregon offense specifically uses it's runs to set up play action passes off of those runs... @ roughly a 60/40 run/pass ratio. Pretty sure that's basically exactly the balance the bears have tried (unsuccessfully) and/or wanted.

Finally, yes, tons of collegiate coaches fail, sometimes spectacularly. What you are missing is that tons of NFL coaches also fail, sometimes spectacularly. And when you look at the final statistics:
http://news.rutgers.edu/medrel/news-releases/2012/12/rutgers-camden-libra-20121206

On winning a Superbowl:
They come out to 11.5% for NFL Coaches that where never head coaches, 12% for Coaches out of College, and 12.4% Who where previous NFL Head Coaches on different teams.

It's all academic at this point now, with Chip already being an Eagle, and Trestman already being a Bear, so there's little point in arguing between us. I'm not upset with the Trestman hire, as I agree with Emery that he was the best of the 3 final candidates, especially offensively (truthfully, in retrospect, he's also more impressive than other popular choices that I initially had listed over him like McCoy, and Dennison). What I am upset with, is that Chip wasn't an option for us, when I feel he was an even better candidate than Trestman is. I think Chip will be a "BOOM", where you think he'll probably be a "bust" and I guess we can agree to disagree on that. Sooner or later, time will prove at least of us right. I have to say, it's going to be an exciting season for both teams, and I personally can't freaking wait to see a Bears offense that isn't hibernating.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epyon wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:

Yes, different teams run different offenses, but all 4 of them are using similar concepts and sometimes similar play calling effectively. Also, the 3 most common plays in the Oregon playbook, and the vast majority of their offense are actually all run between the tackles, with the QB option in place to keep the defensive end on the backside "honest" and "block" him.

As far as B-Marsh goes, I think he would be happy with success and wins, whatever form it comes in. The Oregon offense specifically uses it's runs to set up play action passes off of those runs... @ roughly a 60/40 run/pass ratio. Pretty sure that's basically exactly the balance the bears have tried (unsuccessfully) and/or wanted.

Finally, yes, tons of collegiate coaches fail, sometimes spectacularly. What you are missing is that tons of NFL coaches also fail, sometimes spectacularly. And when you look at the final statistics:
http://news.rutgers.edu/medrel/news-releases/2012/12/rutgers-camden-libra-20121206

On winning a Superbowl:
They come out to 11.5% for NFL Coaches that where never head coaches, 12% for Coaches out of College, and 12.4% Who where previous NFL Head Coaches on different teams.

It's all academic at this point now, with Chip already being an Eagle, and Trestman already being a Bear, so there's little point in arguing between us. I'm not upset with the Trestman hire, as I agree with Emery that he was the best of the 3 final candidates, especially offensively (truthfully, in retrospect, he's also more impressive than other popular choices that I initially had listed over him like McCoy, and Dennison). What I am upset with, is that Chip wasn't an option for us, when I feel he was an even better candidate than Trestman is. I think Chip will be a "BOOM", where you think he'll probably be a "bust" and I guess we can agree to disagree on that. Sooner or later, time will prove at least of us right. I have to say, it's going to be an exciting season for both teams, and I personally can't freaking wait to see a Bears offense that isn't hibernating.

But again…all three of those teams pass the ball more…and much more effectively that the type of offence that Kelly has ran…those three teams are all based on the WCO with some spread elements…those coaches adapted there offence to incorporate the spread because of the talent they have…Kelly is coming in with a readymade spread and read option attack…which makes them totally different offences…now he could adapt that but he hasn’t proven he can…this is a passing league and if Kelly can’t vastly upgrade the way his offence works when passing the ball he will be a massive disaster…

I don’t think for a second Marshall would be happy just winning…he wants the ball…his talent demands the ball and a coach who can get him it…again Kelly has never shown at Oregon that he can get a WR the ball on a consistent bases…even with teams selling out against the run so often…

Your looking at SBs along with those stats…none of those college guys could win consistently never mind think about getting to the SB…I would take the guy with the NFL experience everytime…even if Kelly had been an offensive assistant of RB coach or something in the pros to understand the difference between college and the pros but he hasn’t and as many college coaches have shown before him it’s a tough transition…

As you said its pointless going into this as everything is already done with…and you totally right that I feel Kelly will be a bust and we will just have to agree to disagree on that but I do agree it will be an exciting season ahead.
DABEARSLCF04

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonder how long it will take Kelly to bail on the Eagles?

Dude needs to keeo his mouth shut till he has his plans set in stone.

Adopt a Bear.... Ka'Deem Carey.... HB.... Arizona
Madmike90

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Via Schefter...

Quote:
Filed to ESPN: Former Seahawks DC Gus Bradley has accepted the head coaching job with the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Great move by the Jags.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
Epyon wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:

On winning a Superbowl:

But again…all three of those teams pass the ball more…and much more effectively that the type of offence that Kelly has ran…those three teams are all based on the WCO with some spread elements…those coaches adapted there offence to incorporate the spread because of the talent they have…Kelly is coming in with a readymade spread and read option attack…which makes them totally different offences…now he could adapt that but he hasn’t proven he can…this is a passing league and if Kelly can’t vastly upgrade the way his offence works when passing the ball he will be a massive disaster…

I don’t think for a second Marshall would be happy just winning…he wants the ball…his talent demands the ball and a coach who can get him it…again Kelly has never shown at Oregon that he can get a WR the ball on a consistent bases…even with teams selling out against the run so often…

Your looking at SBs along with those stats…none of those college guys could win consistently never mind think about getting to the SB…I would take the guy with the NFL experience everytime…even if Kelly had been an offensive assistant of RB coach or something in the pros to understand the difference between college and the pros but he hasn’t and as many college coaches have shown before him it’s a tough transition…

As you said its pointless going into this as everything is already done with…and you totally right that I feel Kelly will be a bust and we will just have to agree to disagree on that but I do agree it will be an exciting season ahead.
Nothing Marshall has said of late indicates that he values getting the ball over winning. In fact, he has had very good games yet was not at all happy because the team lost. He would rather have a SB ring than any empty awards short of that.

Marshall has proven to be extremely mature, thoughtful and in control contrary to the expectations of most of the media.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
Nothing Marshall has said of late indicates that he values getting the ball over winning. In fact, he has had very good games yet was not at all happy because the team lost. He would rather have a SB ring than any empty awards short of that.

Marshall has proven to be extremely mature, thoughtful and in control contrary to the expectations of most of the media.

I’m guessing you don’t remember the first GB game then…Marshall showed frustration at the consistent double teams he faced and the fact we only got the ball into his hands twice in the entire game…if you think Brandon Marshall is going to be ok with not getting the ball thrown his way a lot your wrong…if you think Jay Cutler is going to be ok not thrown the ball Brandon Marshall’s way a lot then again your wrong...Marshall has shown great leadership since arriving in Chicago…but he wouldn’t be happy as a glorified blocker…nor would any receiver with his talent.
skatebeanz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pigsooie5 wrote:
I've lost a lot of respect for Chip Kelly after this whole process. He just seems to play mind games with teams, make up your damn mind. I hope it's an epic FAIL for the eagles, ill laugh so hard.
Do you have any idea what actually happened? Any?

Last year after he declined the TB job he didn't get a raise. His assistants did but he didn't make a dime more. This year after he got out of the spot light he never came out and said he was staying. He was never offered a raise either. Chip doesn't like media. If a reporter asked if if he was going to announce he was staying he'd say "Why would I have a conference to report I'm at the job everyone knows I'm at?". Oregon doesn't like media. They didn't put out Heisman videos for their players or anything.

He never came out and said he was staying. In fact he has told the players he is recruiting that he can't promise to be there for more than a year because he has aspirations of being in the NFL. Chip actually said he didn't know how to leave Oregon. That is what he was doing during the last 2 weeks. Why do you think he had already signed a deal before he name was ever brought up again? He made it very private because he didn't wanna be a crap coach who's players find out via twitter. He told the kids himself. That was part of him taking the job. The Eagles kept it very private for that reason. Chip loves Oregon and loves his players there. He wanted to leave on his terms the way he wanted. He in no way swayed. He isn't about money. Heck last I heard despite being the only coach in NCAA history to start with 4 BCS bowls he was the 2nd highest paid HC in his own conference.

Watch his presser. He talks about it. The owner of the Eagles said the same thing. He wanted time to figure out how to leave Oregon properly since they gave him his first HC job and made him a millionaire. Oregon gave him his chance at being an NFL HC. SO he wanted ot leave the right way.

Also that is why he left TB. He didn't set up the way to leave yet and he wanted to make sure they would be prepared when he left. This year Oregon came out and said Chip's self appointed OC would be the new HC when he leaves according to USA Today.

SO he did it the right way. Not a Bobby Petrino way and not a Nick Saban way.

Sig bet
skatebeanz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DABEARSLCF04 wrote:
Wonder how long it will take Kelly to bail on the Eagles?

Dude needs to keeo his mouth shut till he has his plans set in stone.
Please show me a direct quote from him saying he was staying at Oregon. In fact he never said he was going to TB last year. The media is making him flip-flop. He hasn't said 1 thing and done another yet.

Sig bet
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:

I’m guessing you don’t remember the first GB game then…Marshall showed frustration at the consistent double teams he faced and the fact we only got the ball into his hands twice in the entire game…if you think Brandon Marshall is going to be ok with not getting the ball thrown his way a lot your wrong…if you think Jay Cutler is going to be ok not thrown the ball Brandon Marshall’s way a lot then again your wrong...Marshall has shown great leadership since arriving in Chicago…but he wouldn’t be happy as a glorified blocker…nor would any receiver with his talent.

Yeah Marshall is still gonna get a ton of looks but that doesn't mean he needs 15 targets a game either like this year. Shanny ran a WCO in Denver and Marshall still had 100 catches both years with Jay as his starter. I expect this year's offense to be far more efficient.

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:

Yeah Marshall is still gonna get a ton of looks but that doesn't mean he needs 15 targets a game either like this year. Shanny ran a WCO in Denver and Marshall still had 100 catches both years with Jay as his starter. I expect this year's offense to be far more efficient.

We weren’t talking about the WCO…we were talking about Chip Kelly’s spread read option.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: