Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chip Kelly played us... BAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Drifter


Joined: 05 Nov 2007
Posts: 276
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chip Kelly = Steve Spurrier



I hope....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
qball


Joined: 04 Feb 2011
Posts: 31
Location: PA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little disappointed.

I guess that puts me in the minority - based on what has been written here.

The thought of Chip Kelly as the Browns coach was exciting and scary. He is highly intelligent, innovative, and different. He is a very demanding coach. His Oregon teams were fun to watch. I think he gets the most out of his players.

I think the idea that he "played" us is a little overblown. He had a level of personnel control that he wanted. He was in a position to walk away from the table and go back to a good job. My guess is we are all a little envious of that power.

The reasons I thought Chip Kelly would be a good fit with the Browns are simple. A very young roster. A team without a clear identity. A sports town starving for hope. Kelly would have brough a level of excitement and attention Cleveland sports hasn't seen since the day LeBron walked out the door.

Ultimately - I hope the Chudzinski hire works out for the best. I won't rationalize it to the point of being happy with it. It still feels like the Browns "settled" for someone they didn't really want.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
buno67


Joined: 15 Mar 2007
Posts: 30751
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wont say Chip played us...it shows you how desperate the Eagles are IMO and that something bad is happening to Oregon soon...

Chip heard the best from the Browns and the best from the Eagles and what did he do, he decided to go back to Oregon which was a smart decision.

now a week later the Eagle are struggling at landing a HC. All the other teams in the league are getting their guys and the HC market is starting to dry up. I think the eagles were starting to panic that they prolly came at chip and gave him a crazy contract.

Im glad the Browns didnt. Would I loved it if the Browns got chip? hell yes but I really love the Chud hire more because he had the ability to bring in a better OC and DC and Chud fits our talent better. It would of been fun see what Kelly could of done but I think Chud was the better and safer pick! GO BANNER!

I love it even more because Chip might of took the better contract because sanctions are going to hit the program. Usually when bad sanctions hit a program it usually gives its players a free year to transfer. I say Oregon and Chip Kelly run the best spread offense in the nation, who runs the second best spread offense in the nation...Urban Meyer and tOSU!!! Hopefully we can get their commits for the recruiting class and possibly steal a couple transfers
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Dropkick_pride


Joined: 18 Jan 2009
Posts: 10805
Location: C-bus
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qball wrote:
I'm a little disappointed.

I guess that puts me in the minority - based on what has been written here.

The thought of Chip Kelly as the Browns coach was exciting and scary. He is highly intelligent, innovative, and different. He is a very demanding coach. His Oregon teams were fun to watch. I think he gets the most out of his players.

I think the idea that he "played" us is a little overblown. He had a level of personnel control that he wanted. He was in a position to walk away from the table and go back to a good job. My guess is we are all a little envious of that power.

The reasons I thought Chip Kelly would be a good fit with the Browns are simple. A very young roster. A team without a clear identity. A sports town starving for hope. Kelly would have brough a level of excitement and attention Cleveland sports hasn't seen since the day LeBron walked out the door.

Ultimately - I hope the Chudzinski hire works out for the best. I won't rationalize it to the point of being happy with it. It still feels like the Browns "settled" for someone they didn't really want.


good post...
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Entropy


Joined: 16 Jul 2012
Posts: 2736
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qball wrote:
I'm a little disappointed.

I guess that puts me in the minority - based on what has been written here.

The thought of Chip Kelly as the Browns coach was exciting and scary. He is highly intelligent, innovative, and different. He is a very demanding coach. His Oregon teams were fun to watch. I think he gets the most out of his players.

I think the idea that he "played" us is a little overblown. He had a level of personnel control that he wanted. He was in a position to walk away from the table and go back to a good job. My guess is we are all a little envious of that power.

The reasons I thought Chip Kelly would be a good fit with the Browns are simple. A very young roster. A team without a clear identity. A sports town starving for hope. Kelly would have brough a level of excitement and attention Cleveland sports hasn't seen since the day LeBron walked out the door.

Ultimately - I hope the Chudzinski hire works out for the best. I won't rationalize it to the point of being happy with it. It still feels like the Browns "settled" for someone they didn't really want.


The truth is that anyone can say the Browns "settled" for someone they didn't really want no matter who they picked.

We could have "settled" for Kelly because no experienced NFL coach was available to us. We could have "settled" for him since the level of excitement and attention he might bring may help endure the chance that we win less games.

It's like when people say we "reached" for John Hughes, or "panicked" when we drafted Richardson or Weeden.

It's simply a reflection of the current attitude of the individual making the statement and not based in actual events that are supported by facts.

Not that everyone doesn't do it or anything, just that some seem to not realize that their interpretations are heavily influenced by attitude (agenda).

The Media does this quite often.

Funny, it seems like there was a time when the media didn't tell us how to interpret their opinions as much as they do now.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oland11


Joined: 15 Jul 2011
Posts: 7665
Location: "This game is over!" - Chuck Bednarik
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Jeff Lurie calls up Joe Banner*

Jeff: Suck it Joe!
-Hangs up phone-
_________________
NCAA Division III WLAX Event Supervisor
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ether


Joined: 16 Aug 2011
Posts: 1891
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really didn't think we got played considering that this news has come well after we've already given up on Kelly. While I initially thought we failed to get him a couple weeks ago, the fact that he was going back to Oregon all the way until now kinda makes me believe he is just extremely indecisive.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TypicalBrowns10


Joined: 03 Jan 2012
Posts: 1091
Location: Ohio
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things.

1. Chip kelly can suck it.

2. I like chud mlre cause he will bring in VETERAN voordinators who have been.successful. He already brought in the offensive one.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ether


Joined: 16 Aug 2011
Posts: 1891
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oland11 wrote:
*Jeff Lurie calls up Joe Banner*

Jeff: Suck it Joe!
-Hangs up phone-


If anything it was Philly that got played by Kelly.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oland11


Joined: 15 Jul 2011
Posts: 7665
Location: "This game is over!" - Chuck Bednarik
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ether wrote:
oland11 wrote:
*Jeff Lurie calls up Joe Banner*

Jeff: Suck it Joe!
-Hangs up phone-


If anything it was Philly that got played by Kelly.


Oregon got played by Kelly. Laughing

I read he took 1M dollar offer from one of Oregon's boosters to stay with them. Laughing
_________________
NCAA Division III WLAX Event Supervisor
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Reginaldm9


Joined: 14 Apr 2011
Posts: 3453
Location: Kent State University
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pro sports teams are businesses. It's hard to fault the guy for trying to put himself in the best position, regardless of how skeezy his tactics are.

I like that we didn't wait out for Kelly and instead pulled the trigger on a very encouraging backup plan. Haslam gets this stuff. He may not come off as the most fiery owner (Cuban), but he understands how things work in business. The guy adjusted and now there's a whole thread about Chip Kelly being a [inappropriate/removed].

Contrary to most CLE based radio stations, I think this shows more business savvy for the Browns than ineptness.
_________________


buno67 wrote:
I wonder why his cough was so bad that he needed the codeine? I betcha it was from hitting the bong to many nights in a row.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dawgpoun8017


Joined: 14 Jan 2009
Posts: 12131
Location: Waterloo,NY
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oland11 wrote:
*Jeff Lurie calls up Joe Banner*

Jeff: Suck it Joe!
-Hangs up phone-


oh yea..... Joe calls Jeff back- hey jeff the eagles are picking before the browns haha *click*

blow me
_________________
2013 Joe Blackburn HOF Award Recipient

Adopt a Brownie

TJ "Trauma" Ward

TKL- 75, INT- 2, Sack- 1.5,PDF-7, TD-2

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Reginaldm9


Joined: 14 Apr 2011
Posts: 3453
Location: Kent State University
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oland11 wrote:
*Jeff Lurie calls up Joe Banner*

Jeff: Suck it Joe!
-Hangs up phone-


Why not add an over-hyped coach to the "dream team", too huh?
_________________


buno67 wrote:
I wonder why his cough was so bad that he needed the codeine? I betcha it was from hitting the bong to many nights in a row.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Entropy


Joined: 16 Jul 2012
Posts: 2736
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reginaldm9 wrote:
Pro sports teams are businesses. It's hard to fault the guy for trying to put himself in the best position, regardless of how skeezy his tactics are.

I like that we didn't wait out for Kelly and instead pulled the trigger on a very encouraging backup plan. Haslam gets this stuff. He may not come off as the most fiery owner (Cuban), but he understands how things work in business. The guy adjusted and now there's a whole thread about Chip Kelly being a [inappropriate/removed].

Contrary to most CLE based radio stations, I think this shows more business savvy for the Browns than ineptness.


If the known evidence suggests anything, it would be that the Browns moved on from Kelly and the Eagles didn't.

People can spin that any way they want, but the Browns hired a coach that they had targeted. The rest can be written after we see how next year goes.

As far a speculation goes, Kelly's success in the NFL is pretty much all speculation, while Chud's is more known.

Kelly does seem pretty intriguing, maybe more so than Chud, but he also comes with far more uncertainty. Add to that Kelly's apparent indecisiveness, which may or may not have been part of his plan all along to get the best deal, and I think it's safe to say he was the bigger risk.

I don't think Paul Brown, Bill Walsh, or any other offensive innovators ever appeared either so money-driven or indecisive.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Reginaldm9


Joined: 14 Apr 2011
Posts: 3453
Location: Kent State University
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entropy wrote:
Reginaldm9 wrote:
Pro sports teams are businesses. It's hard to fault the guy for trying to put himself in the best position, regardless of how skeezy his tactics are.

I like that we didn't wait out for Kelly and instead pulled the trigger on a very encouraging backup plan. Haslam gets this stuff. He may not come off as the most fiery owner (Cuban), but he understands how things work in business. The guy adjusted and now there's a whole thread about Chip Kelly being a [inappropriate/removed].

Contrary to most CLE based radio stations, I think this shows more business savvy for the Browns than ineptness.


If the known evidence suggests anything, it would be that the Browns moved on from Kelly and the Eagles didn't.

People can spin that any way they want, but the Browns hired a coach that they had targeted. The rest can be written after we see how next year goes.

As far a speculation goes, Kelly's success in the NFL is pretty much all speculation, while Chud's is more known.

Kelly does seem pretty intriguing, maybe more so than Chud, but he also comes with far more uncertainty. Add to that Kelly's apparent indecisiveness, which may or may not have been part of his plan all along to get the best deal, and I think it's safe to say he was the bigger risk.

I don't think Paul Brown, Bill Walsh, or any other offensive innovators ever appeared either so money-driven or indecisive.


Right, I can't stand 92.3 sometimes. It's as if there's only one perspective and everything else is complete crap. Staff decisions should be made on more than just a name.
_________________


buno67 wrote:
I wonder why his cough was so bad that he needed the codeine? I betcha it was from hitting the bong to many nights in a row.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group