Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chip Kelly has been hired by the Eagles
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Bleedin_Green36


Joined: 25 Feb 2008
Posts: 13075
Location: Largo, FL
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thesickness89 wrote:
RandyMossIsBoss wrote:
Lol at how all the rival fans "don't like" or are "skeptical" of this hire. Yall just scurred, Eagles about to win some championCHIPs!

Hmmmm.... Where have I heard this before?


Wade Phillips...?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AlexM23


Joined: 03 Jan 2011
Posts: 8296
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bailey134 wrote:
Jacobys Homey wrote:
Bailey134 wrote:
WhackyPlague wrote:
Hotlanta12 wrote:
Can I just ask?? What is so special about Chip Kelly?? I'm being completely honest?? I know he has done a fantastic job at Oregon but seeing as college coaches don't usually translate to the NFL that well aside from Pete Carroll. Can Kelly do something with the offense that I just don't see? Can someone tell me??


Good summary here: http://igglesblitz.com/philadelphia-eagles-2/lets-talk-about-chip-kelly/

Basically, he's successful while being very different and people find that intriguing.


Yea Kelly is so awesome I think kiffin should just quit. I mean 42 years of coaching an 12 years of one of the best defences in nfl history couldn't prepare Kiffin for this. It was a good run Monte, time to hang it up.


That's a little extreme. Don't you think?



Don't get ya panties in a wad

.
Dude c'mon
Kelly is so good they probably won't even play the season. Just give kelly the Lombardi. trophy now. The only way to make the league competitive again is to clone kelly 31 times.

For someone who doesn't think Chip's all that special, you're acting pretty antsy. Laughing
_________________

Kiltman on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BillsGuy82


Joined: 16 Jan 2007
Posts: 9439
Location: Niagara Falls
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any coach going into a situation with Foles / Shady / Brown is a solid foundation. Nick Foles has upside, hopefully a healthy Peters and a pick inside will help.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Eagles_808


Joined: 12 Mar 2008
Posts: 27814
Location: California
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EaglesFan5-36-81 wrote:

Vermeil actually had NFL experience, he was an assistant in 1969, became an assistant at UCLA in 1970, and then went back to being an assistant with the Rams again in 1971 through 1973 so your example is off dude.
Jimmy Johnson going from the U to Dallas and winnig two Super Bowls within 5 years was my other example.
_________________
2013 Eagles Forum HOF
[quote="Leon Sandcastle"]Chip Kelly's system is college material...that stuff doesn't fly in the NFL[/quote]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Meco


Joined: 30 Aug 2012
Posts: 2579
Location: Las Vegas
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EaglesFan5-36-81 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Serious question: Why are some Eagles fans upset about this hiring?


1 - He has sever commitment issues, there are signs of him being the next Petrino.

2 - He's got no NFL coaching experience at all, and hasn't dealt with the issues of dealing with multi-millionaires but instead a bunch of poor kids. Money changes people.

3 - His offense is incredibly gimmicky.

4 - There are rumors that he might keep Vick, hell to the no.

5 - His gimmick offense has struggled anytime over the past few years anytime he went up against a defense with any tackling ability.

It makes no sense to me on any level.


This post is incredibly stupid. Laughing
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
buno67


Joined: 15 Mar 2007
Posts: 31180
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eagles_808 wrote:
EaglesFan5-36-81 wrote:

Vermeil actually had NFL experience, he was an assistant in 1969, became an assistant at UCLA in 1970, and then went back to being an assistant with the Rams again in 1971 through 1973 so your example is off dude.
Jimmy Johnson going from the U to Dallas and winnig two Super Bowls within 5 years was my other example.


Jimmy also won titles at the college level.
Jimmy ran a somewhat pro style offense
Jimmy came in got a chance to draft a stud QB #1 overall

Jimmy was more of a fit for the NFL than Kelly is
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
AnAngryAmerican


Joined: 23 Apr 2006
Posts: 18533
Location: Loveland, CO
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eagles101 wrote:
Perfundle wrote:
Never? Jim Harbaugh had only two years of NFL experience, and not even as an OC or DC. He seems to have succeeded in the NFL.


he played does that count?

Yes, playing in the NFL for 16 years, especially as a QB, while it doesn't count as "coaching experince" does teach one A LOT about how to succeed in at the NFL level.

Eagles_808 wrote:
So D!ck Vermeil didn't take the Eagles to a Super Bowl in his 3rd season straight out of UCLA? He didn't lead the Eagles to the playoffs for the first time in 18 seasons by his 2nd year?

Ok, gotcha.

Vermeil had prior NFL experience before going to UCLA, coaching for the Rams in 1969 and from 1971-73. Prior to taking the job with Philly in 1976, he had more NFL coaching experience (4 years) than he did college coaching experience (3 years).

But next time you're ready to make an argument based on facts, reason and football history as I did in my original post, I'll still listen to your side of the argument, Eagles_808. The hostile sarcasm is not welcome and is unbecoming of a mod.
_________________
big_palooka:

Broncos CSU Rams Rockies Tiger Woods
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Meco


Joined: 30 Aug 2012
Posts: 2579
Location: Las Vegas
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things people are saying in this thread are cracking me up. Over generalize much? You've all grossly over simplified so many things. You're blatantly over looking logical progressions just because you want to be the cool kid bashing Chip Kelly when everyone else is (accurately) noting that this is an intriguing hire.

He has sever commitment issues? If anything, I'd argue the complete opposite. He's a very prudent guy. He stayed at New Hampshire for years and turned down multiple other jobs until he found one he was comfortable with in Oregon. Then, he stayed at Oregon for another six years despite NFL calls. Did you all hear what he said when he got off the plane? He talked about how much trouble he had leaving an "incredible place" with an "incredible staff and team". Now he brings this sort of loyalty to Philadelphia. I think it's funny that people are talking about how sketchy he is because he had a hard time leaving his current situation and making a huge decision in his life. Get out of here.

He's got no NFL coaching experience? Valid point. But if you can coach, you can coach IMO. Obviously this is up for debate and we'll just have to see how it works out. The argument that fails is that he's a "college coach". Soooo many coaches have ripened in the college ranks and had success at the NFL level. I don't really see why a lack of NFL experience is going to sink Chip's ship, it's not like there some magic experience number that decides who succeeds and who fails. I'm sure the Eagles will surround him with smart people, get him up to speed on the rules and sign the best assistants that money can buy.

Chip's offense is not a gimmick. This is such a misconception. He runs basic run concepts at a high tempo and he spreads defenses out wide so that they have to show their cards. The Patriots, 49ers, Redskins, Panthers and Seahawks have all adopted certain pieces of Chip's offense to varying degrees. It's not a gimmick, it's just the next wave. Remember, the forward pass was once a gimmick.

Rumors he might keep Vick? And until Vick is on the roster on opening day, they're just that: Rumors. I expect nothing to change on the Vick front, he's out.

Gimmick offense failed against a team that could tackle? For the love of… Oregon put up a combined 145 points against Kansas State, Oregon State and USC. In 2011 and 2010 they absolutely roasted Stanford's defense to the tune of 105 combined points. They put up 27 points on LSU's NFL Jr defense (top 10). Put up 43 on Cal's defense (top 20). Also put up 45 against Wisconsin (top 15). Laughing
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rejuvenation


Joined: 20 Sep 2010
Posts: 1759
Location: Delaware
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Eagles literally have nothing to lose from this so good hire in my opinion. It isn't like they have a team that was one game away from the super bowl and the wrong coach is going to possibly screw all of that up. Plus as Phire pointed out, they haven't won a title in over 50 years and only been to the Super Bowl twice in that time span. Giving a shot to someone who can be innovative isn't a bad idea if you need to get over the hump in that regard.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Eagles_808


Joined: 12 Mar 2008
Posts: 27814
Location: California
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnAngryAmerican wrote:

But next time you're ready to make an argument based on facts, reason and football history as I did in my original post, I'll still listen to your side of the argument, Eagles_808. The hostile sarcasm is not welcome and is unbecoming of a mod.
Yeah I didn't mean to come off as sarcastic, but obviously that's how it looked. I was just growing tired of folks who seemed to have their mind made up because of other's coaches failures. I honestly believe if Chip can hire an OC with past HC experience (like a Billick for example) to also act as assistant HC, he could buck the trend you were eluding to.

Oh, and while we're mentioning the actions of a mod, check out your avatar size.
_________________
2013 Eagles Forum HOF
[quote="Leon Sandcastle"]Chip Kelly's system is college material...that stuff doesn't fly in the NFL[/quote]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Eagles_808


Joined: 12 Mar 2008
Posts: 27814
Location: California
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buno67 wrote:
Jimmy also won titles at the college level.
Jimmy ran a somewhat pro style offense
Jimmy came in got a chance to draft a stud QB #1 overall

Jimmy was more of a fit for the NFL than Kelly is
BB consulted with Chip this offseason about uptempo offense, and took some of those ideas to New England's offense. They lead the league in offensive snaps per game by nearly 7 or 8 more than the next team (getting a play off every 24 seconds on average). I envision Chip bringing that style and tempo to the Eagles, so it's not some outrageous notion that he's a fit for the NFL.
_________________
2013 Eagles Forum HOF
[quote="Leon Sandcastle"]Chip Kelly's system is college material...that stuff doesn't fly in the NFL[/quote]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
buno67


Joined: 15 Mar 2007
Posts: 31180
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eagles_808 wrote:
buno67 wrote:
Jimmy also won titles at the college level.
Jimmy ran a somewhat pro style offense
Jimmy came in got a chance to draft a stud QB #1 overall

Jimmy was more of a fit for the NFL than Kelly is
BB consulted with Chip this offseason about uptempo offense, and took some of those ideas to New England's offense. They lead the league in offensive snaps per game by nearly 7 or 8 more than the next team (getting a play off every 24 seconds on average). I envision Chip bringing that style and tempo to the Eagles, so it's not some outrageous notion that he's a fit for the NFL.


oh i know, Browns fans know everything about chip because we were hoping to get him. Yea it was great to see NFL coaches and college coaches working together and would like to see the NFL move to a quicker pace, it be more entertaining.

see the only thing that could scare me about what the pats did is the QB. The Pats have Tom Brady as a QB, one of the best and one of the smartest QBs in NFL history. I think playing at a quicker tempo it can force the QB to make quicker decision. When you dont have a very good QB, i dont think it could workout. I know Foles is unproven. Was it BB coaching that happen this oregon style quick attack or was it that Tom Brady ran it t perfection
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
topwop1


Joined: 08 Jan 2008
Posts: 5112
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard one NFL coach say that Chip Kelly ran the best practices he's ever seen from a football coach. I think is uptempo style will translate well to the NFL, just not sure if he has all the moving pieces required to make it work early on in Philly. It'll probably take a couple years to start seeing things flourish. I'm not quite sold on Nick Foles yet. I think they need a more mobile/athletic QB but I could be totally wrong.

Solid hire though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Eagles_808


Joined: 12 Mar 2008
Posts: 27814
Location: California
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buno67 wrote:
oh i know, Browns fans know everything about chip because we were hoping to get him. Yea it was great to see NFL coaches and college coaches working together and would like to see the NFL move to a quicker pace, it be more entertaining.

see the only thing that could scare me about what the pats did is the QB. The Pats have Tom Brady as a QB, one of the best and one of the smartest QBs in NFL history. I think playing at a quicker tempo it can force the QB to make quicker decision. When you dont have a very good QB, i dont think it could workout. I know Foles is unproven. Was it BB coaching that happen this oregon style quick attack or was it that Tom Brady ran it t perfection
Fair enough. I'm not going to sit here and say it will be a slam dunk and he'll win multiple SB's, but to sell him short and not even give him a chance seems unfair to me.

And yeas, Foles is unproven and no where near the level of Brady. But I'm willing to give him a chance.
_________________
2013 Eagles Forum HOF
[quote="Leon Sandcastle"]Chip Kelly's system is college material...that stuff doesn't fly in the NFL[/quote]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
buno67


Joined: 15 Mar 2007
Posts: 31180
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eagles_808 wrote:
buno67 wrote:
oh i know, Browns fans know everything about chip because we were hoping to get him. Yea it was great to see NFL coaches and college coaches working together and would like to see the NFL move to a quicker pace, it be more entertaining.

see the only thing that could scare me about what the pats did is the QB. The Pats have Tom Brady as a QB, one of the best and one of the smartest QBs in NFL history. I think playing at a quicker tempo it can force the QB to make quicker decision. When you dont have a very good QB, i dont think it could workout. I know Foles is unproven. Was it BB coaching that happen this oregon style quick attack or was it that Tom Brady ran it t perfection
Fair enough. I'm not going to sit here and say it will be a slam dunk and he'll win multiple SB's, but to sell him short and not even give him a chance seems unfair to me.

And yeas, Foles is unproven and no where near the level of Brady. But I'm willing to give him a chance.


i think it all determines on how he truly implements his offense. I would love to see him succeed so he can open the door for college coaches
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 13 of 15

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group