Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

West Coast Offense

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CBears019

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: West Coast Offense Reply with quote

With the hiring of Trestman there is a lot of talk about him bringing the WCO to Chicago.

What exactly is the WCO and how does it differ from offenses we've run in the past?

I'm not real schematically savvy when it comes to talking football. Educate me!

Adopt-a-Bear: Martellus Bennett, TE
Rec: 36 Yds: 364 TD: 4

AZBearsFan wrote:

He's a playmaker though, and we can use more of those in the Devin.Fart
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZ will love this, the WCO utilizes shorter precise routes, and timing throws. A lot of Slants, posts, skinny posts, digs. Rollouts, moving pockets, and the RB is big target in the WCO as well, as the outlet and screen are used as somewhat of a replacement for the power 60 (best run play for the Bears this year)

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
Madmike90

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The WCO is more about horizontal short passing that gets the ball out of the QBs hand quickly and relies on the receivers to gain YAC…more pass oriented than run but when teams start to sell out on the pass there are opportunities for big gains on the ground…have to get the Oline right to run it correctly.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my breakdown of what Trestman will do on offence. Keep in mind I played on the OL and did not spend nearly enough time with the QBs to really break it down.

Make the Field BIG

I believe that Trestman will spread the field vertically and horizontally to maximize space and allow our big WRS to move. On most plays there will be routes to both sidelines and there will be a route moving deep forcing the defence to spread and create seams or holes.

You will hear about creating levels and gaps.

Provide Options

Every route will be working with other routes to provide built in options to the QB based on what they read. The design of the routes will be to specifically open up someone or an area that will be attacked. The QB will have options to throw too that are working in unison.

Get the Ball to the WR Quickly

In Montreal we had big WRs and we got the ball to them quickly and asked them to make plays with it, which I think fits the Bears personnel very well. This is the heart of the west coast offence and allows the QB to be held upright.

The Running Back is a Passing Weapon

The RBs that we have [Whitikar, Cobourne and Carter] all had a number of receptions and were consistently released or check released into patterns to force defenders to cover them. They also worked into a number of route combinations and got the ball a lot.

Protection is KING

The system is very heavy on protection and protection concepts. The QB is to be preotected by players and scheme and the timing and rhythem cannot be disrupted.
DaMike

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like this for our offensive players. We have the WRs and RB to succeed. Also this will help our OTs.
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
AZ will love this, the WCO utilizes shorter precise routes, and timing throws. A lot of Slants, posts, skinny posts, digs. Rollouts, moving pockets, and the RB is big target in the WCO as well, as the outlet and screen are used as somewhat of a replacement for the power 60 (best run play for the Bears this year)

I do like it.

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
IronMike84

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the WCO may be a better fit than a Coryell variant. There has been a lot of criticism on Cutler not getting the ball out quick enough. WCO hopefully will remedy that, as well as help to get the offense into a rhythm with some short completions. Forte should involved in the passing game once again and Marshall should also do well at the X spot.
ConVict90

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
The WCO is more about horizontal short passing that gets the ball out of the QBs hand quickly and relies on the receivers to gain YAC…more pass oriented than run but when teams start to sell out on the pass there are opportunities for big gains on the ground…have to get the Oline right to run it correctly.

Luckily for us we have have Marshall, Jeffery, and Bennett

TCKL-
SCK-
FF-
INT-
Slaymont Harris

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron Turner ran a west coast, so we've already seen Jay and Matt in a form of it (a bad form, albeit).
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slaymont Harris wrote:
Ron Turner ran a west coast, so we've already seen Jay and Matt in a form of it (a bad form, albeit).

Play calling is certainly a factor in that. Jay did have a career high in TDs under Turner.

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
Slaymont Harris

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
Slaymont Harris wrote:

Play calling is certainly a factor in that. Jay did have a career high in TDs under Turner.

I'm including the playcalling in there, which is a huge component obviously. I was less impressed with the 27 TDs as I was dismayed by the 26 picks.
JPeppers90

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick drop backs and relying on the receivers to make plays (YAC yards) really excite me because that is a major strength of all 3 of BMarsh, Alshon, Earl.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slaymont Harris wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
Slaymont Harris wrote:

I'm including the playcalling in there, which is a huge component obviously. I was less impressed with the 27 TDs as I was dismayed by the 26 picks.

Cutler also did not have talent to work with. His best receiving option was Forte and Olsen, and even then they had a terrible line. Plus Jay tried to force the ball much more than he has the last few years. While playing with poor receivers sucks, it does help to realize that not every WR is going to be able to make a play on the ball like Marshall does. It was a very rough learning experience for him, but I doubt it would happen again, especially considering the boost of talent in comparison.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: