Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Marinelli
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PredatorPeppers

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
PredatorPeppers wrote:
ChiSportsFan wrote:
PredatorPeppers wrote:
How bout Rob Ryan, switch the 3-4 and start blitzing??? Very Happy

1. The Bears have nowhere near the personnel required for the 3-4
2. The Bears have good pass rushers, why would they need to become blitz happy?
3. The Bears had one of the top defenses in the NFL this season, why do fans always want them to fix something that isn't broken?

RDE: Melton
NT: Draft
LDE: Wootton/ Idonije ( Both could gain about 20 lbs. )
ROLB: Julius Peppers ( He would be a pass rushing monster in this scheme )
ILB: Urlacher
ILB: Briggs
LOLB: McClellin
SS: Major Wright
FS: Conte ( or sign Byrd from the Bills preferably )
CB: Tillman
CB: Jennings

That doesn't look to bad to me.
#54 definitely can't play TED, and you take away Melton's (who at this point is now the best player on the DL) greatest strength which is his quickest in the league first step that blows the doors off of interior linemen. As a 3-4 DE you ask him to play 5-tech (head up on the OT) and penetrate thru the most athletic OL, the OTs. Can Melton play 3-4 in a one gap scheme? Yes, he's an incredible player and he would do well in any situation where you allow him to go after the QB. Should he? NO!!!! He's a dominant (there's only 1 guy at his position in the NFL who was clearly better this year in Geno Atkins).

Corey Wootton is FINALLY showing that first round talent he had his junior year at NW and now you want to stop him from rushing the passer.

It just doesn't make sense guys. Emery made it pretty clear in his presser and in the interview process he wants to keep the defense in tact.

You think Melton is better than Peppers?

I think an argument can be made for Wootton over Melton as well.
PredatorPeppers

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
PredatorPeppers wrote:
ChiSportsFan wrote:
PredatorPeppers wrote:

3. The Bears had one of the top defenses in the NFL this season, why do fans always want them to fix something that isn't broken?

#54 definitely can't play TED, and you take away Melton's (who at this point is now the best player on the DL) greatest strength which is his quickest in the league first step that blows the doors off of interior linemen. As a 3-4 DE you ask him to play 5-tech (head up on the OT) and penetrate thru the most athletic OL, the OTs. Can Melton play 3-4 in a one gap scheme? Yes, he's an incredible player and he would do well in any situation where you allow him to go after the QB. Should he? NO!!!! He's a dominant (there's only 1 guy at his position in the NFL who was clearly better this year in Geno Atkins).

Corey Wootton is FINALLY showing that first round talent he had his junior year at NW and now you want to stop him from rushing the passer.

It just doesn't make sense guys. Emery made it pretty clear in his presser and in the interview process he wants to keep the defense in tact.
The OT blocks the DE when a TE or back is blocking the blitzing OLB or OLB isnt blitzing. Otherwise the OT picks up the blitzer and the OG would pick up Melton who would be further away from the OG and allow him to use his great speed and quickness. Otherwise its Peppers one on one with a TE or back.

Exactly why Demarcus Ware has been such a pass rushing monster in Dallas, I guarantee he won't be same player as a 4-3 DE. Peppers would be a MONSTER in the 3-4 D.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PredatorPeppers wrote:
The thing is MadMike90, the Bears D is dominant against inferior teams, when they play someone like the Packers or 49ers they get steam rolled. I would rather take my chances and go after the damn QB instead of sitting back letting QB's pick us apart. Lets switch to a confusing 3-4 style D, and come up with some exotic blitz schemes, line Julius Peppers up all over the place and let him rush, the QB will go down! I'm thinking about maybe interviewing for the defensive coordinator position, all in favor say I!

Razz

Firstly the Packers offence has never dominated us…we are the one team in the NFL who has consistently contained Aaron Rodgers…and we don’t dominate on D against inferior teams…we dominate against every team…in 11 of our 16 games we gave up 21 points or less…the other 5 games came against Packers (23 points)…Carolina (22 points)…San Fran (32 points)…Seattle(23 points OT)…Detroit (24 points)…so in one game this year we gave up more than 24 points…now that is against the best team in the NFL IMO and when you consider we had no tape on Colin Kaepernick and the fact that we were on the road without our starting QB I still wouldn’t say one out of 16 games is a concern...if the offence can keep the ball…stay on the field & score points to stop putting so much pressure on our D we would still be dominate.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently Arians is the HC of the Cardinals.

He is apparently not going to retain Horton as his DC.

I would love Ray Horton at DC and for those 3-4 haters he ran a 4-3 for years.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PredatorPeppers wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
PredatorPeppers wrote:
ChiSportsFan wrote:
PredatorPeppers wrote:

At this point, yes Melton is a better player than Peppers. Melton is an every down DT who collapses the interior of the pocket on every play. teams are now gameplanning against Melton w/ their protection schemes, not Pep. Melton gets the double team most of the team, there arent many guards in the NFL that can block Melton 1 on 1. Pep sees a lot more 1 on 1s now than he used to, and that's b/c Melton is a play wrecker. He's one of those rare guys that can destroy a play even when you as an offense do everything right.

As for Wootton being better than Melton, get the heck out of here w/ that crap.

And the fact you think the Bears get steamrolled by anybody shows you have no idea what you are talking about. Aaron Rodgers and the Pack O has their worst days every year against the Bears D. Us losing to the Pack has absolutely nothing to do w/ the D. Not the players and not the scheme.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
PredatorPeppers

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
PredatorPeppers wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
PredatorPeppers wrote:
ChiSportsFan wrote:
PredatorPeppers wrote:

At this point, yes Melton is a better player than Peppers. Melton is an every down DT who collapses the interior of the pocket on every play. teams are now gameplanning against Melton w/ their protection schemes, not Pep. Melton gets the double team most of the team, there arent many guards in the NFL that can block Melton 1 on 1. Pep sees a lot more 1 on 1s now than he used to, and that's b/c Melton is a play wrecker. He's one of those rare guys that can destroy a play even when you as an offense do everything right.

And the fact you think the Bears get steamrolled by anybody shows you have no idea what you are talking about. Aaron Rodgers and the Pack O has their worst days every year against the Bears D. Us losing to the Pack has absolutely nothing to do w/ the D. Not the players and not the scheme.

The Bears got steam rolled by the 49ers this season, they also folded to the Seahawks, and Packers and Vikings. At the end of the day, the Bears D is good, but not great like the 49ers. I want to see great, the cover 2 just doesn't cut it IMO, I know we don't run the cover 2 every down, but to often we do. We get killed with quick slants quite often as well.

As far as Melton getting double teamed more than Peppers, I don't know what games you're watching on Sunday's, Peppers gets double teamed, triple teamed, and chipped by running backs ALL THE TIME, way more than Melton. I guarantee if Peppers wasn't on the D line, Melton wouldn't be half the player he is now. Wootton is an up and coming good pass rusher and it isn't foolish in the least to think he could be better than Melton who I believe you are overrating just a little bit, he aint no Geno Atkins.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PredatorPeppers wrote:
At the end of the day, the Bears D is good, but not great like the 49ers. I want to see great, the cover 2 just doesn't cut it IMO, I know we don't run the cover 2 every down, but to often we do. We get killed with quick slants quite often as well.

I know your new around here…so don’t take this the wrong way…but saying the #5 overall D in the NFL in total yards and #3 ranked team in points allowed per game is “good but not great”…is stupid…this isn’t madden…when you have a D that has been consistently good for many years you build on it…you draft and sign replacements…you don’t completely rebuild the D for no reason…it’s like a great college programme…they never rebuild…they reload and we have that type of D.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PredatorPeppers wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
PredatorPeppers wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
PredatorPeppers wrote:
ChiSportsFan wrote:
PredatorPeppers wrote:

The Bears got steam rolled by the 49ers this season, they also folded to the Seahawks, and Packers and Vikings. At the end of the day, the Bears D is good, but not great like the 49ers. I want to see great, the cover 2 just doesn't cut it IMO, I know we don't run the cover 2 every down, but to often we do. We get killed with quick slants quite often as well.

As far as Melton getting double teamed more than Peppers, I don't know what games you're watching on Sunday's, Peppers gets double teamed, triple teamed, and chipped by running backs ALL THE TIME, way more than Melton. I guarantee if Peppers wasn't on the D line, Melton wouldn't be half the player he is now. Wootton is an up and coming good pass rusher and it isn't foolish in the least to think he could be better than Melton who I believe you are overrating just a little bit, he aint no Geno Atkins.
Let's start here, up until this year Atkins and Melton had identical statlines. Atkins however has been a DT going back to his college days, whereas Melton was not. Now let's go here, Wootton has a lot of potential, showed a lot this year getting 7 1/2 sacks in a part time role as a DE. Good year. Melton has more sacks than anybody not named Geno Atkins at the DT position in the last 2 years. Melton has more pressures per pass rush than any PLAYER not named Geno Atkins in the last 2 years. Melton is the PREMIER inside pass rusher in the NFC. Ain't nobody better. Now go and watch some actual games w/ a pen and paper and chart the # of snaps Pep gets double teams (not just chips) and compare that to the # of double teams that Melton sees. You apparently will be shocked b/c it's almost a 2-1 ratio. That's right, Melton sees nearly TWICE as many true double teams as Julius Peppers. If it weren't for Charles Tillman, Melton would be the best player on this defense, and the best part is, he's only 26 and getting better.

Edit: oh almost forgot this

Yes they gave up 32 points to the 49ers on the road w/ no film of CK and never seeing the 9ers crazy run scheme before.

They gave up 24 to the Seahawks in OT, in 60 mins of football they gave up 18 pts

In 2 games against the Packers they gave up 16 and 23 pts. The Pack scored 27.1 ppg this year. Aaron Rodgers had a QBR of 108 this year, against the Bears year he had a 95 QBR. The only other teams to hold Rodgers below 90 in a game was the Seahawks, Giants, & Detroit. You know what Rodgers did against 3-4 teams? 93, 103, & 133. Rodgers is a QB you don't want to blitz, he has a stupid 141 QBR against the blitz dude.

Basically the Bears play well against everybody w/ an occassional bad game just like any other team.

Last edited by Superman(DH23) on Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

double post

PredatorPeppers

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
PredatorPeppers wrote:
At the end of the day, the Bears D is good, but not great like the 49ers. I want to see great, the cover 2 just doesn't cut it IMO, I know we don't run the cover 2 every down, but to often we do. We get killed with quick slants quite often as well.

I know your new around here…so don’t take this the wrong way…but saying the #5 overall D in the NFL in total yards and #3 ranked team in points allowed per game is “good but not great”…is stupid…this isn’t madden…when you have a D that has been consistently good for many years you build on it…you draft and sign replacements…you don’t completely rebuild the D for no reason…it’s like a great college programme…they never rebuild…they reload and we have that type of D.

Thank you for you honesty, I admire that about you MadMike90 Cool , but all I'm trying to say is this. Yes the Bears D is very good, but I truly believe with the personnel we have, and maybe a few minor tweaks here and there. This D could be lights out in a 3-4 aggressive scheme. Tillman is lock down, Jennings is getting that way as well. Conte is a decent FS and getting better, Major Wright is nothing to brag about but can get the job done. Briggs can play in the 34 I'm pretty sure, I guess you're right about Urlacher not being able to take on blocks and therefore would not be a good option at the TED position, maybe he shouldn't be retained which is very sad Crying or Very sad , but life must go on. As far as the outside linebackers, we got McClellin who would be very good I believe in the 34, Peppers would just be a flat out night mare for opposing teams offenses as an OLB. D line, Melton would be very good and quite disruptive in a 1 gap 34 scheme as a DE, maybe your right about Wootton not being able to hack it? But what about Idonije? I believe Pea, if he gained a few pounds could take on double teams and collapse the pocket from the NT position.

Basically what I'm saying is this, the Bears D are like a Chevy now, reliable and steady, but I want to see them more like a Ferrari. Mean, Fast, and aggressive. Ears pinned back and coming after the QB in a variety of exotic blitz combinations.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PredatorPeppers wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
PredatorPeppers wrote:

Thank you for you honesty, I admire that about you MadMike90 Cool , but all I'm trying to say is this. Yes the Bears D is very good, but I truly believe with the personnel we have, and maybe a few minor tweaks here and there. This D could be lights out in a 3-4 aggressive scheme. Tillman is lock down, Jennings is getting that way as well. Conte is a decent FS and getting better, Major Wright is nothing to brag about but can get the job done. Briggs can play in the 34 I'm pretty sure, I guess you're right about Urlacher not being able to take on blocks and therefore would not be a good option at the TED position, maybe he shouldn't be retained which is very sad Crying or Very sad , but life must go on. As far as the outside linebackers, we got McClellin who would be very good I believe in the 34, Peppers would just be a flat out night mare for opposing teams offenses as an OLB. D line, Melton would be very good and quite disruptive in a 1 gap 34 scheme as a DE, maybe your right about Wootton not being able to hack it? But what about Idonije? I believe Pea, if he gained a few pounds could take on double teams and collapse the pocket from the NT position.

Basically what I'm saying is this, the Bears D are like a Chevy now, reliable and steady, but I want to see them more like a Ferrari. Mean, Fast, and aggressive. Ears pinned back and coming after the QB in a variety of exotic blitz combinations.

And I would disagree in the strongest possible terms.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PredatorPeppers wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
PredatorPeppers wrote:

Outside of "such and such team uses a 3-4 and they are really good", what is it about the 3-4 that you like better than the 4-3?

PredatorPeppers

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
PredatorPeppers wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
PredatorPeppers wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
PredatorPeppers wrote:
ChiSportsFan wrote:
PredatorPeppers wrote:

Let's start here, up until this year Atkins and Melton had identical statlines. Atkins however has been a DT going back to his college days, whereas Melton was not. Now let's go here, Wootton has a lot of potential, showed a lot this year getting 7 1/2 sacks in a part time role as a DE. Good year. Melton has more sacks than anybody not named Geno Atkins at the DT position in the last 2 years. Melton has more pressures per pass rush than any PLAYER not named Geno Atkins in the last 2 years. Melton is the PREMIER inside pass rusher in the NFC. Ain't nobody better. Now go and watch some actual games w/ a pen and paper and chart the # of snaps Pep gets double teams (not just chips) and compare that to the # of double teams that Melton sees. You apparently will be shocked b/c it's almost a 2-1 ratio. That's right, Melton sees nearly TWICE as many true double teams as Julius Peppers. If it weren't for Charles Tillman, Melton would be the best player on this defense, and the best part is, he's only 26 and getting better.

Edit: oh almost forgot this

Yes they gave up 32 points to the 49ers on the road w/ no film of CK and never seeing the 9ers crazy run scheme before.

They gave up 24 to the Seahawks in OT, in 60 mins of football they gave up 18 pts

In 2 games against the Packers they gave up 16 and 23 pts. The Pack scored 27.1 ppg this year. Aaron Rodgers had a QBR of 108 this year, against the Bears year he had a 95 QBR. The only other teams to hold Rodgers below 90 in a game was the Seahawks, Giants, & Detroit. You know what Rodgers did against 3-4 teams? 93, 103, & 133. Rodgers is a QB you don't want to blitz, he has a stupid 141 QBR against the blitz dude.

Basically the Bears play well against everybody w/ an occassional bad game just like any other team.

We agree to disagree, counting double teams by tight ends and running backs as well as guards and tackle combinations, Peppers gets double teamed more than Melton.

1. Peppers
2. Tillman
3. Briggs
4. Melton
5. Jennings
6. Wootton
7. Urlacher
8. Idonije
9. Conte
10. ??
PredatorPeppers

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
PredatorPeppers wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
PredatorPeppers wrote:

Outside of "such and such team uses a 3-4 and they are really good", what is it about the 3-4 that you like better than the 4-3?

I like the confusing schemes you can concoct in a 3-4 defense, I like the sack numbers you can put up in the 3-4 which could lead to more turnovers and forced fumbles. I like the overall more chaos you can create in a 34 as opposed to 43 style of defense.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PredatorPeppers wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
PredatorPeppers wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
PredatorPeppers wrote:

I like the confusing schemes you can concoct in a 3-4 defense, I like the sack numbers you can put up in the 3-4 which could lead to more turnovers and forced fumbles. I like the overall more chaos you can create in a 34 as opposed to 43 style of defense.
So confusion, you realize confusion has nothing to do w/ # of down linemen its about the coverage on the backend right? Sacks hmmm of the 10 teams w/ the highest sack totals this year 7 are 4-3 teams. Turnovers, hmm well our 4-3 scheme led the league in turnovers not just this year, but since the day Lovie first stepped foot in the door at Halas Hall.

Here's the reality, you want a 3-4 b/c you see a 3-4 as trendy, this is also reality, the 3-4 is now being phased out of the NFL nearly as fast as it was phased in. The Patriots now run a 4-3, the chiefs will be moving to a 4-3. The Cards run a hybrid type scheme. Of the top 10 scoring defenses only 2 of those are 3-4 schemes. The 3-4 is not better than the 4-3. Picking a scheme to run is about the personnel you have, we have personnel for a 4-3 scheme. Period.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: