Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Off-season needs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bunnyracin wrote:
What about making a trade for Percy Harvin? He's still in his rookie contract that expires in 2014 and hes making a little over 2 mil a year. It could be a risk being that his contract is almost up but I'd give up our first pick

I actually had a conversation with a few Vikings fans about this. I was actually interested, until they told me a lot of what goes on "behind the scenes" with Harvin:

Quote:
- Argued with Brad Childress in front of other players
- Threw a small weight at Childress in the training room
- Stayed away from the team longer than excused for a family funeral
- Demanded more playing time
- Stated he wanted to be traded
- Retracted his statement he wanted to be traded
- Argued with Leslie Frazier during a game on the sidelines with cameras on him
- Left the team after being put on IR and never returned during our late season run
- No longer communicates with the team, except for the trainer monitoring his rehab

That's two different HCs that Harvin has had an altercation with, with one altercation boarderlining on assault. The rest of the issues with the guy paints a picture of a very immature player, one who is very "me first" and doesn't have the backs of his team, a player who would disrupt any sort of locker room unity with his consistent belly aching. Never mind the migraine issues the guy had, he's a malcontent even without that.

Not saying he isn't a talented player, but with someone with this sort of background, I'd not even entertain a deal with one of the top 64 picks. It would have to be a 4th or later, along with some 2014 considerations (MAYBE a 1st in 2014, if the guy proves he can go a season without any issues).

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
kenney

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mse326 wrote:
kenney wrote:
Mse, we do not, nor have we ever used a NT in our Nickel packages. Not only that, we ran out Nickel significantly less than every other team. You see, Nickel for us is a 4-2-5, as it is for most teams. However, none of our ILBs besides Cushing could do anything -- play the run or cover, which is why, even when we had Cushing, we went straight to Dime and played Quin as primarily a linebacker.

ILB hasn't been more than a 2-down position because all of ours blow. NT is a 2-down position in our scheme, regardless of how good he is.

I can similarly say that our Nickel wasn't with a line of

4 (Barwin, Smith, NT, Watt)
2 (Cushing and Reed)

Because or NT was never good enough. That meant Watt would have to kick in and Reed come down.

IIRC Wade's Dallas days had the 2nd ILB was always a 2 down guy with Ratliff remaining on the field.

If we get the ILB I'm sure we'll do it your way. Similarly a NT goes my way. The thing is a line of Barwin, Smith, Watt, and Reed is too small with only 2 LBs behind to stop the run.

We've never had a good enough NT or 2nd ILB to know which way is prefered by Wade.

Why would we ever include a NT in our Nickel package? We deliberately have our best pass rushers on the line for this, which will never include a NT unless we end up drafting Warren Sapp.

We could have essentially created the lineup you're suggesting by moving Watt inside where you've set a nose and putting Mercilus on the field. But we didn't, because Reed only ever played ILB as an emergency for us because Dobbins, James, Ruud, and Sharpton were so terrible. I will gladly watch this team head into the 2013 season with Mitchell and Harris as NTs if it means none of those four linebackers are on the team.
amazingandre

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is how I view our needs by position.

Qb - Decide if Matt is the guy, if he is, leave the qbs alone. We have Yates and Case behind him. If Matt is not our future, is Yates, if not, draft another one.

Rb - I would attempt to trade Ben Tate, even if you get a 4th or 5th. Then draft another rb, we seem to have the ability to pick rbs hat fit our scheme perfectly.

Fb - Draft a real fb please, Casey is ok, but not used anough to waste a spot IMO. Let him walk.

Wr - I would prefer to pick up a veteran and use a late round pick on a wide out. Andre has 2-3 years before we need to think about replacing him, or preparing to. Let KW go, grab another free agent, then draft a guy with a comp pick in round 3 or something. Andre, free agent, posey, martin, draft pick

Te - Time for another TE, its time to decide if OD is good enough to stay on our team with his salary. Its not HUGE, but he is very one dimensional, and Graham is as good or better than OD. I love Owen, but its about the team, GG is fine so draft another big bodied TE, but one better than Hill was haha

OL - We need a RT who can compete to start and at the very least be able to be a swing Tackle. We also need depth though out the middle and possibly a guy who can take over for Wade soon.

DE - Start thinking of very good back ups for Smith and Watt, and consider a guy who can compete with Smith in a year. We have like no good depth here at all.

NT - We need a starter here. Lots of debate from us about this, but Cody sucks, Mitchel sucks a little less, but we have no real serious push from this spot and when teams choose to, they gash us in the middle. This needs to be addressed.

OLB - Let Barwin walk, unless we get him cheap, either way we need to draft more players here. We are too thin and get no real pass rush from this spot at all.

ILB - We need a starter, BAD. Even with Cushing this position sucks, James is terrible and everyone else is always hurt. Get a hard nosed guy to stand next to Cushing and share cover duties. We also have no idea how Cush will play when he returns, does he lose some explosiveness?

CB - We have a few guys as FA here, Ball, McCain most notably. I would like new faces here, but we're not very good developing young corners. We might almost be better off re-signing them, sadly.

S - We need a new safety. basically a 3rd safety whop plays a lot. I think we retain Quin, but we use a lot of 3 safety sets. We need a play making safety who won't get beat deep, EVER. Its disgusting giving up those long plays deep because the safety is an idiot. Fix this.

P - We need one, BAD. A young stallion with a bomb of a leg.

K - we have Bullock still. Hopefully he is as good as all the rookie kickers were this season.

Build depth for special teams too.
kenney

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give my assessment:

QB - We need to be grooming Matt Schaub's replacement, but he is not on this team, nor is he in this draft.

RB - This is a top 5 position of need. Foster cannot ever have another season like this if he's going to be part of our long-term plans.

TE - This is a good draft for 2nd-day TEs. It might be worth our while to invest in one of them given Graham's health issues and Casey's possible departure.

OL - Of all the positions on the team, we have a proven system for developing offensive linemen. This is why I think we're okay to leave the interior o-line positions alone. Jones and Brooks weren't even very good, but they got valuable experience and the potential is there. RT, on the other hand, is a black hole. We need to draft a tackle EARLY.

WR - This is one of our two primary positions of need. Walter sucks, Posey looked interesting but may never play again, Jean sucks, and Martin sucks.

DL - Back-up DE is a position of need. NT is a position of need given the fact that Cody isn't likely to return.

OLB - We can never have too many. If Barwin leaves, this is probably something that needs to be addressed no later than the second day of the draft. Even then, less than 10 sacks out of the three guys who are supposed to be your primary pass-rushers is unacceptable.

ILB - Our main position of need. Our entire defense suffered due to how terrible this position was. First round Kevin Minter or Alec Ogletree. Second round Khaseem Greene or Jon Bostic.

CB - McCain, Ball, Harris, and Carmichael are all terrible.

S - If Shiloh Keo or Quentin Demps see the field as defenders next season, we're in trouble. Probably our greatest position of need after ILB, WR, and RT.

ST - Find a Punter under the age of 35 to sign, please.
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:

K - we have Bullock still. Hopefully he is as good as all the rookie kickers were this season.

I actually liked what Donnie Jones did for us this past season - he didn't have a HUGE leg, but was very good in ball placement, and never really "outkicked" the coverage, which is a very underrated skill. Granted, our gunners never played well, but that ain't on Donnie. At the least, he's earned 16 games to improve upon last season, hoepefully with a ST coach who can guide the rest of the unit to play disciplined football.

On K duties - I'll actually say that Shayne Graham was good for us. Made FGs when we needed 'em, had some BIG clutch kicks that he nailed (even when he missed a few - Detroit - he came back onto the field and redeemed himself later in that game). However, Graham has a big weakness, and that is lack of range on KOs. That, combined with the aforementioned poor discipline of our coverage units meant opposing KR got the ball at the 5-10 yard line, and had holes to exploit.

If anything, Bullock represents a massive upgrade on KO units. Guy can bomb the hell out of the ball when it's set up on a tee, just obliterates the ball and launches it out of the end zone. That in itself will keep units fresher than usual, and starting a drive on the 20 as opposed to the 30-35 would give the defense that little bit of field needed to better their chances.

EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like "overall assessment" is the trending post, so...here I go:

(FYI - I've read from unconfirmed sources that the Texans will be earning a 3rd round comp pick for the loss of Mario Williams, as well as three 6th round picks for the losses of Jason Allen, Joel Dreessen and Mike Breisel).

QB - Make Matt Schaub look over his shoulder in SOME form or fashion. Scout the 2nd tier QBs in this draft, see if there is a diamond that needs some refining that should be available at the latter end of the top 64, peg them as the project QB. If Matt can see this challenge and rise to it, we'll see the results on the field. If not, we know what we got, and we have the guy who CAN answer the bell.

RB - If we're not gonna use Ben Tate, we might as well send him to someone who CAN use 'em. Atlanta had a nice outing from Michael Turner last year, but that was an anomaly, as Turner isn't good anymore. Quizz Rogers is too small to be an every-down RB, so see what Atlanta is willing to pay and move him. Use one of the 13 6th round picks we will have to find Tate's replacement (Theo Riddick from Notre Dame catches my fancy - split time at RB and slot WR; Lacks explosive ability, but a grinder who might be undervalued due to constant rotation between WR and RB. Had a decent Sr. campaign, with 900+ yards rushing and 300+ yards on 36 receptions).

WR - ABSOLUTE need, perhaps a need answered through FA and draft. DeVier Posey was a nice project, but shouldn't be expected to impact 2013 season, and Kevin Walter NEEDS to be demoted to a timeshare at the #3 WR spot. Mike Wallace, Greg Jennings and Dwayne Bowe will command top dollar for WRs, so look at 2nd tier WRs who have outplayed their expected production or never got a proper chance due to depth ahead of them; Brian Hartline of Miami fits the bill as an overachiever with a strong season, and NYGs Ramses Barden fits the bill as someone who didn't get a fighting chance with the likes of Hakeem Nicks, Victor Cruz, Rueben Randle ahead of him. In the draft, look at the likes of Robert Woods, Terrance Williams and Justin Hunter. Williams is coming off of a fantastic season and has a great set of skills to utilize. Both Hunter and Woods had good campaigns, but might be slightly undervalued due to a lack of a BIG season. Put FA acquisition and draftee in a platoon at #2 WR, with the best man earning majority of snaps.

TE - Need. We used to criticize Kubiak for his TE fetish, but now it's clear why he had stockpiled so many; It just so happened the year we didn't stockpile the unit, we needed the extra depth the most. TDs trump all in terms of production, measurables, intangibles, etc; Joel Dreessen served as the team's #1 RZ target over the past two years, and not having him in the lineup is why this team struggled in the RZ this season. OSUs Jake Stoneburner is a converted WR who has a 2:1 Rec:TD ratio in his last year, and presents an option for a late round selection who can work into the lineup as a rotational/RZ option for the team.

T - Depth is needed at the absolute least, starting RT is needed at the absolute most. Ricky Wagner makes the most sense, as he's got everything you would look for in a RT in a ZBS setup, and comes from a program that we highly value. Both Rashard Butler and Ryan Harris should be allowed to sign elsewhere (if they even generate interest on the open market) and Wagner/Derek Newton should be in competition for the starting RT spot. Both Wagner and Newton represent very little in terms of cap hit, and either can serve as a swing T.

G - No need. Both Brandon Brooks and Ben Jones make the team; A heavy evaluation on Wade Smith is needed at this point. Given the money he made, you have to establish whether or not he is worth the contract we are giving him, and make a decision as to whether or not we are willing to pay him. While Smith made the Pro Bowl this past season, one can argue his play took a dive this year and younger, cheaper options could be had on roster. If he comes cheap (re: 1/2 year deal at NFL vet minimum) consider re-signing Antoine Caldwell.

C - With Jones and Pro Bowl C Chris Myers, depth and value is set. Maybe a camp body/PS assignment via UDFA channels.

DE - Depth is always an issue, so consider mid to late round prospects. Antonio Smith provides leadership and has been productive, however he must be asked to renegotiate his current deal. Cutting Smith might be prohibitive (and would probably be met with a form of backlash within the locker room) and his intangible value far outweighs the return in any sort of trade. Interesting name to keep an eye on would be Baker Steinkuhler out of Nebraska; Great size and wingspan, good pedigree (father and brother were standouts in college and NFL) and productive as a run stopping player. Has size to rotate at both DE and NT for the Texans 3-4.

DT - Need. Shaun Cody doesn't warrant a new contract, and while Earl Mitchell is turning into a good NT in our current system, finding a true 0-tech might be what ails this run D up the middle, and would free up the likes of JJ Watt and Brian Cushing to more favorable matchups. More research should be done on Georgia DT John Jenkins, a massive man at 358 lbs, with some quick explosiveness to collapse the pocket and get to the QB. Ron Brace is also a name that can be had cheap and serve as a rotational guy, but additional research needs to be done, as he was pretty injury prone over the last two years. Big guys don't heal up quickly, it seems...

OLB - Need. Unless Connor Barwin were to bet on himself with a one year deal that is heavy on statistical benchmarks, he won't find himself as a Texan unless he takes a deal that would be woefully undervalued as to his relative value on the market (it wouldn't shock me to see Barwin get $80-100MM from the ailing 3-4 or 4-3 defenses, as he's got experience as a 4-3 DE). If Barwin doesn't give the Texans a heavy hometown discount, a three man rotation of Whitney Mercilius, Brooks Reed and Bryan Brahman would be OK, but fortifying said unit with a mid round DE/OLB tweener (Stansly Maponga from TCU? John Simon from OSU?) could go a long way.

ILB - Absolute need. Living and dying with Brian Cushing proved to be a disaster, Daryl Sharpton can't stay healthy, Tim Dobbins tops out as a ST contributor and Bradie James/Barrett Ruud are out of this league now. Kiko Alonzo from Oregon stands out as a high energy player, someone who is a very intelligent player who has a non stop motor and a nose for the ball, an ideal 3-4 ILB for Wade Phillips' system. In FA, ILB Larry Grant and Tavares Gooden both play caddie for the ILB duo of Patrick Willis and NaVarro Bowman, two All Pro caliber players. If the price is right, grab one of them as the starter alongside Cush.

CB - Both Jonathan Joseph and Kareem Jackson proved their worth at 1/2, but depth is a major concern. See how well CB Stanford Routt does with a full offseason and TC, and determine whether or not he should be the NCB; Brice McCain should be staying with the team, as a poor 2012 season along with a foot injury should scare away enough teams to avoid a massive bidding war for his services. Brandon Harris proved to be a major liability at CB, and Roc Carmichael can't be better if he's not seeing the field, so finding depth in the later rounds wouldn't hurt the team. This CB crop available in the draft seems very thin at the bottom end, with Harris/Roc clones to be found, so not sure what to think of it. The optimist in me is REALLY hoping that we get the Routt that was a serviceable #2 CB in Oakland, and he turns out to be the #3 that this team relies on in 2013...

FS/SS - Need, depending on what happens with Glover Quin. I am confident that Quin and the Texans were to come to a deal; If so, finding a player to play the role of Quentin Demps/Shiloh Keo is the route to run, and a few CB/S tweeners could man that role (or perhaps Harris/Roc? Might as well try it, see if there is some sort of value from those two). If for some reason Quin signs elsewhere, this comes up as one of the biggest needs on the team, as an in-the-box S who can play the slot as well as play some robber coverage is a tough player to replace. LaRon Landry had a resurgent season with the Jets, yet finds himself on the outside of the teams' plan following a few run-ins in that disorganized locker. The potential that Landry had was through the roof when he was a top 10 selection, and it looks as if he's finally found some of that potential on the field. IF Quin was lost, Landry would be my #1 FA target going into the offseason. Granted, Quin is the Texan FA I am least worried about, but stranger things have happened...

K/P - With Randy Bullock, Donnie Jones and Shayne Graham, I believe we're good. Bring in a UDFA P to compete with Jones, but nothing that need TOO much attention. Finding depth for gunner roles, blocker roles would be more paramount.

mse326

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenney wrote:
mse326 wrote:
kenney wrote:
Mse, we do not, nor have we ever used a NT in our Nickel packages. Not only that, we ran out Nickel significantly less than every other team. You see, Nickel for us is a 4-2-5, as it is for most teams. However, none of our ILBs besides Cushing could do anything -- play the run or cover, which is why, even when we had Cushing, we went straight to Dime and played Quin as primarily a linebacker.

ILB hasn't been more than a 2-down position because all of ours blow. NT is a 2-down position in our scheme, regardless of how good he is.

I can similarly say that our Nickel wasn't with a line of

4 (Barwin, Smith, NT, Watt)
2 (Cushing and Reed)

Because or NT was never good enough. That meant Watt would have to kick in and Reed come down.

IIRC Wade's Dallas days had the 2nd ILB was always a 2 down guy with Ratliff remaining on the field.

If we get the ILB I'm sure we'll do it your way. Similarly a NT goes my way. The thing is a line of Barwin, Smith, Watt, and Reed is too small with only 2 LBs behind to stop the run.

We've never had a good enough NT or 2nd ILB to know which way is prefered by Wade.

Why would we ever include a NT in our Nickel package? We deliberately have our best pass rushers on the line for this, which will never include a NT unless we end up drafting Warren Sapp.

We could have essentially created the lineup you're suggesting by moving Watt inside where you've set a nose and putting Mercilus on the field. But we didn't, because Reed only ever played ILB as an emergency for us because Dobbins, James, Ruud, and Sharpton were so terrible. I will gladly watch this team head into the 2013 season with Mitchell and Harris as NTs if it means none of those four linebackers are on the team.

You seem to think needing to go to nickel is a passing formation. Teams routinely run out of 3 WR sets now on 1st and 2nd down. That was actually when we truly got nailed in the run game. Spready us out and we were screwed.

Kicking Watt inside and bringing in Mercilus doesn't remotely make the formation I suggested because none of them hold blocks. Watt will slice through every now and then, but there is no one to just hold a blocker or 2. Smith and Watt in the middle means we get gashed. That formation cannot stop the run up the middle. Let's face it. If we played a 4-3 based and had a D-line of Barwin, Smith, Watt, Mercilus/Reed we'd all be nervous about the run game and that is with 3 LBs instead of 2 like in the nickel. That formation is not a recipee for success.

Further our pass rushing problems aren't going to be aided by an ILB. If that is the way to gain pressure we are now rushing 6 guys (3 lineman + 2OLB + ILB). We need to be able to get pressure with 4 or 5 rushers. A big problem was no push up the middle. The QB was always able to just step up to avoid rushers. That's why a large number of Watt's sacks required him to hit him from the front. It was the only way to make sure the QB wouldn't step up.

Maybe you're under the impression that when I say NT I'm talking about a Casey Hampton or Terrance Cody type. I'm not. I'm looking more for a guy that plays similar in style to what we have but can actually do it. Our guys just aren't good. We need someone with the same approach and skills set, but that is better at it.

And again you also seem to think I'm suggesting we are fine at ILB with Cushing back. I have expressly denied that. I just don't see how that position warrants a 1st round pick when a 3rd or 4th round guy should (and I stress should because the FO could screw the pick up) be enough for what we need out of the position. A guy like Mauti or Nico Johnson would fit nicely and provide what we need.

Another area we might not be looking at the same thing is the situation we are in nickel. My issue is when we have to go to nickel on a non-clear passing down. The way the NFL is going that is increasingly necessary. I'll give you that on clear passing downs we'd remove the NT to have our pass rushers on the field with linebackers to blitz or cover. But that isn't going to be the primary time we are in nickel. Too many teams run 3 WR as essentially their base offense. We have to be able to match up against this formation (nickel) AND stop the run out of it. A LB won't help with that. A NT will.

#JDI
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will take a different tact with this by scripting some needs independent of position, most of which involve targeting player types that go against our draft tendency.

In no particular order:

Need - creative Red Zone weapon(s). I have been banging this drum since Kubiak got here, but by it's very nature the ZBS will have problems in short yardage and the RZ as it is based upon deception (play action) and space (cutback lanes) that don't exist in those situations. The way I see it, the system has always needed to supplement the playbook with creative options to replace the plays that simply don't work, some of which may require players with specialized skills.

Solution A - Basketball player type TE or WR. If you recall AJ boxing out the Talib on the 2pt conversion, imagine having a 6' 7" #2TE doing that against an ILB or S tasked with covering them. I have never been a big "vert" guy when it comes to evaluating WRs and don't confuse this with what I'd be looking for in a #2 WR where hands, ability to separate, route running still take precedence. I'm talking about specifically seeking out the specialized ability for a tertiary target to provide a "safe" mismatch in the red zone as throwing high just means throwing it out of the end zone. As an added bonus, we may be able to block a field goal with this guy. A guy that fascinates me is 6' 8" SMU DE Margus Hunt who I would absolutely use on offense, but I suspect he'll end up as a first rounder before all is said and done which is probably too high for a project.

Solution B - QB conversion RB. Not advocating Wildcat here or Tim Tebow type package requiring Schaub coming off the field, but thinking more about a guy like Denard Robinson who would come in and bring an unpredictable component to certain situations. Operating out of FB spot he could take direct snap and run or throw or decoy leap into pile to take focus off Arian. I would also make him our holder instead of the dang punter to open up creative options, hopefully cutting down on the absurd total of 14 field goals under 30 yards. He would also be an option in the dead area between the opponents 37-45 where punting often nets only 20 yards while missing field goals yields too good of field position. There is no area where coaches ignore statistical probability more than going for it on 4th downs (mainly because not getting it makes them look bad), but THIS team has to find ways to score more TDs instead of FGs and a combination of faking some and going for more could help. Remember, oftentimes failing still means success as you're trapping an offensive inside their 10 should yield good field position if our defense can get 3 and outs.

Solution C - Road grader type FB. Tyler Clutts was unimpressive. Even if we resign Casey, let's get ourselves a Vonta Leach bruiser to make up for our undersized line in short yardage. I also think this team desperately needs to have a mean "bouncer" type to make up for the "good guys" like AJ, Arian, Schaub, and Myers and dole out some punishment from time to time on the offensive side of the ball (think hockey enforcer).

Need - cut down on cheap touchdowns from speedy WRs.

Solution - speedy centerfield type FS. I absolutely want the Texans to resign Glover Quin who is a major part of our success against TEs and run game. I also would like to see us draft or sign a #2 CB with speed and make Kareem the nickle. What I am advocating here, is making a calculated decision to draft for speed for the specialized role of #3 Safety. Whether it was by TY Hilton or Donte Stallworth we continue to be vulnerable to getting torched deep by tertiary speed receivers and we are fooling ourselves if we think Kareem or Brandon Harris will be able to contain these types without safety help. When healthy, Jonathan Joseph can hang with the speediest #1's, but clearly even he needs deep help when dinged up which is pretty much every other year if you follow his career. If we have a spot for special teamers like Keo, McManus, Carmichael and others we certainly could handle carrying a safety who may not be worth much against the run or even good in tight coverage, but could make sure that we never experience what Denver did when Jacoby got behind Raheem Moore. Maybe he could also pick off a few to make up for the fact Quin won't and probably be dangerous when returning them.

More to come later...

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
kenney

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
I will take a different tact with this by scripting some needs independent of position, most of which involve targeting player types that go against our draft tendency.

In no particular order:

Need - creative Red Zone weapon(s). I have been banging this drum since Kubiak got here, but by it's very nature the ZBS will have problems in short yardage and the RZ as it is based upon deception (play action) and space (cutback lanes) that don't exist in those situations. The way I see it, the system has always needed to supplement the playbook with creative options to replace the plays that simply don't work, some of which may require players with specialized skills.

Solution A - Basketball player type TE or WR. If you recall AJ boxing out the Talib on the 2pt conversion, imagine having a 6' 7" #2TE doing that against an ILB or S tasked with covering them. I have never been a big "vert" guy when it comes to evaluating WRs and don't confuse this with what I'd be looking for in a #2 WR where hands, ability to separate, route running still take precedence. I'm talking about specifically seeking out the specialized ability for a tertiary target to provide a "safe" mismatch in the red zone as throwing high just means throwing it out of the end zone. As an added bonus, we may be able to block a field goal with this guy. A guy that fascinates me is 6' 8" SMU DE Margus Hunt who I would absolutely use on offense, but I suspect he'll end up as a first rounder before all is said and done which is probably too high for a project.

Solution B - QB conversion RB. Not advocating Wildcat here or Tim Tebow type package requiring Schaub coming off the field, but thinking more about a guy like Denard Robinson who would come in and bring an unpredictable component to certain situations. Operating out of FB spot he could take direct snap and run or throw or decoy leap into pile to take focus off Arian. I would also make him our holder instead of the dang punter to open up creative options, hopefully cutting down on the absurd total of 14 field goals under 30 yards. He would also be an option in the dead area between the opponents 37-45 where punting often nets only 20 yards while missing field goals yields too good of field position. There is no area where coaches ignore statistical probability more than going for it on 4th downs (mainly because not getting it makes them look bad), but THIS team has to find ways to score more TDs instead of FGs and a combination of faking some and going for more could help. Remember, oftentimes failing still means success as you've trapping an offensive inside their 10 should yeild good field position if our defense can get 3 and outs.

Solution C - Road grader type FB. Tyler Clutts was unimpressive. Even if we resign Casey, let's get ourselves a Vonta Leach bruiser to make up for our undersized line in short yardage. I also think this team desperately needs to have a mean "bouncer" type to make up for the "good guys" like AJ, Arian, Schaub, and Myers and dole out some punishment from time to time on the offensive side of the ball (think hockey enforcer).

Solution - speedy centerfield type FS. I absolutely want the Texans to resign Glover Quin who is a major part of our success against TEs and run game. I also would like to see us draft or sign a #2 CB with speed and make Kareem the nickle. What I am advocating here, is making a calculated decision to draft for speed for the specialized role of #3 Safety. Whether it was by TY Hilton or Donte Stallworth we continue to be vulnerable to getting torched deep by tertiary speed receivers and we are fooling ourselves if we think Kareem or Brandon Harris will be able to contain these types without safety help. When healthy, Jonathan Joseph can hang with the speediest #1's, but clearly even he needs deep help when dinged up which is pretty much every other year if you follow his career. If we have a spot for special teamers like Keo, McManus, Carmichael and others we certainly could handle carrying a safety who may not be worth much against the run or even good in tight coverage, but could make sure that we never experience what Denver did when Jacoby got behind Raheem Moore. Maybe he could also pick off a few to make up for the fact Quin won't and probably be dangerous when returning them.

More to come later...

Player suggestions for the needs you listed:

Creative Redzone Weapons:
Solution A - 1st Day: Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame (only ND player who belonged on the field in the championship); 2nd Day: Dion Sims, TE, Michigan State; 3rd Day: Nick Kasa, TE, Colorado

Solution B - Wildcard 1st Day Suggestion: Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia; 3rd Day: Denard Robinson, QB/RB/WR, Michigan; Collin Klein, QB, Kansas State

Solution C - Free Agent: Jerome Felton, FB, Minnesota (Note: There aren't a lot of options for a road grader FB in this draft or free agency period. However, I am an advocate of taking a look at Rex Burkhead as a Kevin Faulk-type or Zach Line as a short-yardage Mike Alstott redux -- Line has looked good in blocking drills so far out of the Shrine Game (or is it the Senior Bowl?))

Secondary Speed/Versatility
1st Day: Kenny Vacarro, S, Texas
2nd Day: D.J. Swearinger, S, South Carolina*; Baccari Rambo, S, Georgia; Tony Jefferson, S, Oklahoma
3rd Day: Tyrann Mathieu, DB, LSU; John Boyett, S, Oregon; Leon McFadden, CB, San Diego State
Texantype

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
Here is how I view our needs by position.

Qb - Decide if Matt is the guy, if he is, leave the qbs alone. We have Yates and Case behind him. If Matt is not our future, is Yates, if not, draft another one.

Rb - I would attempt to trade Ben Tate, even if you get a 4th or 5th. Then draft another rb, we seem to have the ability to pick rbs hat fit our scheme perfectly.

Fb - Draft a real fb please, Casey is ok, but not used anough to waste a spot IMO. Let him walk.

Wr - I would prefer to pick up a veteran and use a late round pick on a wide out. Andre has 2-3 years before we need to think about replacing him, or preparing to. Let KW go, grab another free agent, then draft a guy with a comp pick in round 3 or something. Andre, free agent, posey, martin, draft pick

Te - Time for another TE, its time to decide if OD is good enough to stay on our team with his salary. Its not HUGE, but he is very one dimensional, and Graham is as good or better than OD. I love Owen, but its about the team, GG is fine so draft another big bodied TE, but one better than Hill was haha

OL - We need a RT who can compete to start and at the very least be able to be a swing Tackle. We also need depth though out the middle and possibly a guy who can take over for Wade soon.

DE - Start thinking of very good back ups for Smith and Watt, and consider a guy who can compete with Smith in a year. We have like no good depth here at all.

NT - We need a starter here. Lots of debate from us about this, but Cody sucks, Mitchel sucks a little less, but we have no real serious push from this spot and when teams choose to, they gash us in the middle. This needs to be addressed.

OLB - Let Barwin walk, unless we get him cheap, either way we need to draft more players here. We are too thin and get no real pass rush from this spot at all.

ILB - We need a starter, BAD. Even with Cushing this position sucks, James is terrible and everyone else is always hurt. Get a hard nosed guy to stand next to Cushing and share cover duties. We also have no idea how Cush will play when he returns, does he lose some explosiveness?

CB - We have a few guys as FA here, Ball, McCain most notably. I would like new faces here, but we're not very good developing young corners. We might almost be better off re-signing them, sadly.

S - We need a new safety. basically a 3rd safety whop plays a lot. I think we retain Quin, but we use a lot of 3 safety sets. We need a play making safety who won't get beat deep, EVER. Its disgusting giving up those long plays deep because the safety is an idiot. Fix this.

Good in-depth report. Thanks.
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resign:

SS Glover Quin
OLB Connor Barwin (if some team gives him an offer that is more ours then let him walk. Mercilus and Reed will be fine at OLB)
RB Justin Forsett
FB James Casey
ILB Tim Dobbins
CB Brice McCain
P Donnie Jones

Let walk:

OT Rashad Butler
OT Andrew Gardner
OT Ryan Harris
OG Antoine Caldwell
NT Shaun Cody
OLB Jesse Nading
ILB Keyaron Fox
ILB Bradie James
ILB Barrett Ruud
CB Allan Ball
CB Stanford Routt
S Quintin Demps
K Shayne Graham

Team needs

ILB: With James and Ruud not being resigned and Dobbins brought back we need to pick up a starting caliber ILB.

WR: Even with Posey having the achillies injury WR is still a huge need.

NT: If we don't resign Cody we will need a nose tackle. Either to start or to be the backup to Mitchell.

RG/RT: If we don't resign Harris and Caldwell we have to add depth to the right side of the OL. Brooks appears to be the starter at RG and should get better with experience and Kubiak seems to like Newton.

SS: We will need safety depth if we don't resign Demps. Keo isn't a good player except for special teams.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenney wrote:
Apollo Stallion wrote:

In no particular order:

Solution B - QB conversion RB. Not advocating Wildcat here or Tim Tebow type package requiring Schaub coming off the field, but thinking more about a guy like Denard Robinson who would come in and bring an unpredictable component to certain situations. Operating out of FB spot he could take direct snap and run or throw or decoy leap into pile to take focus off Arian. I would also make him our holder instead of the dang punter to open up creative options, hopefully cutting down on the absurd total of 14 field goals under 30 yards. He would also be an option in the dead area between the opponents 37-45 where punting often nets only 20 yards while missing field goals yields too good of field position. There is no area where coaches ignore statistical probability more than going for it on 4th downs (mainly because not getting it makes them look bad), but THIS team has to find ways to score more TDs instead of FGs and a combination of faking some and going for more could help. Remember, oftentimes failing still means success as you've trapping an offensive inside their 10 should yeild good field position if our defense can get 3 and outs.

More to come later...

Player suggestions for the needs you listed:

Creative Redzone Weapons:
Solution A - 1st Day: Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame (only ND player who belonged on the field in the championship); 2nd Day: Dion Sims, TE, Michigan State; 3rd Day: Nick Kasa, TE, Colorado

Solution B - Wildcard 1st Day Suggestion: Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia; 3rd Day: Denard Robinson, QB/RB/WR, Michigan; Collin Klein, QB, Kansas State

Solution C - Free Agent: Jerome Felton, FB, Minnesota (Note: There aren't a lot of options for a road grader FB in this draft or free agency period. However, I am an advocate of taking a look at Rex Burkhead as a Kevin Faulk-type or Zach Line as a short-yardage Mike Alstott redux -- Line has looked good in blocking drills so far out of the Shrine Game (or is it the Senior Bowl?))

Secondary Speed/Versatility
1st Day: Kenny Vacarro, S, Texas
2nd Day: D.J. Swearinger, S, South Carolina*; Baccari Rambo, S, Georgia; Tony Jefferson, S, Oklahoma
3rd Day: Tyrann Mathieu, DB, LSU; John Boyett, S, Oregon; Leon McFadden, CB, San Diego State

I like these ideas and player suggestions. I've always felt that we should put Watt in at TE inside the 5 to help block or leak out for a pass, it would have helped his MVP stock this year Cool

A few other players I like:
Ace Sanders WR, South Carolina - He's small, but he seemed to always be making big plays. He can contribute in the return game, and could be used for reverses and jet sweeps, which I think would be beneficial for moving some things around in our offense. While it's been kind of dismissed in the past, I think this team is missing someone that can turn a short pass over the middle into a broken tackle and big gain. He's projected as a 4th rounder, standing 5'8" with 4.4 speed.

Duke Williams S, Nevada - He plays very physical, but can play a rangy centerfield type. He had 106 tackles, 5.5 TFLs. He knocks passes away, but isn't a big playmaker with interceptions. He's goot good speed at around 4.4 and has decent size. He's can likely be picked up with a 3rd round comp pick, or maybe into the 4th since the Safety class is pretty deep.

Andre Ellington TB, Clemson - A good runner and pass-catching back with good speed and big-play ability. If I remember correctly, he would also come in for wildcat formations. While I don't always like the wildcat, it may be a decent option with the struggles we've had. I wonder how creative Kub and Dennison (maybe) can be to create opportunities for him, though.

The players above were some that would kind of fit what Apollo had mentioned. A few other picks that I really like are:

Marcus Lattimore RB, South Carolina - I think he could be really good if he were put on IR for the first year and allowed to fully heal. If we have that many 6th round picks, he's certainly worth one of them. I'd be happy with him as early as a the 5th.

DeAndre Hopkins WR, Clemson - I am slightly hesitant from a scheme standpoint, but I love the kids ability. I have always liked him more than Sammy Watkins in Clemson, and I think he could be a contributor. The transition may be a bit of a challenge, but he would be a welcomed addition as a playmaker. Not sure I like him in the first, but if we were to trade out to the middle of the second, it could be a very good selection.

Devin Taylor DE, South Carolina - He's just a behemoth of a man that was overshadowed by Clowney. He has a bit of Mario in him, big bodied freak of an athlete, but doesn't always go full-bore. He has the frame to pack on some weight and possibly play NT, and he'd be a great addition to the SWATT team at 6'8". I think with some peer pressure from Watt, Cushing, and Smith, Taylor could be a good rotational guy at DE with Crick after Antonio leaves, and possibly NT if we bulked up a bit.

Sanders Commings CB/S, Georgia - I like him more as a Safety, especially for covering the two-headed TE monster that a lot of teams are starting to implement. We're going to be seeing Dwayne Allen and Coby Fleenor twice a year, I wouldn't mind having a fast, physical 6'2" safety covering one of them.

Levine Toilolo TE, Stanford - He's not a great blocker, but I think he could be a fine redzone threat. We seem to be decent at developing blocking skills of TEs, so he should be able to improve in that aspect. It would be a little more difficult for Schaub to overthrow Levine in the endzone with him standing at 6'8"

Jordan Rodgers QB, Vanderbilt - Jordan had a decent season with a respectable 3:1 TD to INT ratio. When I watched him, he looked to have pretty decent mechanics, but was just a little off on some of his throws. Maybe he spends the offseason with his brother and turns into a superstar after sitting on the bench a few years. It's kind of a lottery pick to hope that he can some day resemble Aaron; unlikely but that imagining all the possibilities makes it worthwhile.

Yes, most of the football that I've watched this year was in the Pac-12 and SEC, so that's where many of the players are from.
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenney wrote:
3rd Day: Tyrann Mathieu, DB

Our willingness to spend our 2nd pick of the draft on DeVier Posey (another player who got caught up in drama and missed his last year of college ball) tells me that selecting Mathieu isn't too long of a shot. This would have a shade of win/win, as Mathieu was a member of John Lucas' rehab program; The former Houston Rocket took an interest in Mathieu and did what he could to help out the player - being in close proximity to Lucas would help Mathieu out in getting his situation in order and focusing on playing football.

In regards to what he brings on the field - an absolute YES to the Honey Badger for the Texans. Not a fast guy, not a big guy...but has a knack to get to the football and jar it out and make big plays once he has the ball in his hands. He doesn't have the size to man a spot on the outsides (not that we would need him to with Joseph and Jackson) but as a NCB? Maybe in the S rotation as the #3 S? Holy hell, he would be a nightmare player for offenses to account for, covering the slot or playing up over the top in our Man/Cover 1 scheme.

Mathieu would be an upgrade over any of our non-starters in the secondary; He would be a better #3 CB than Brice McCain, Alan Ball, Brandon Harris, Roc Carmichael, Stanford Routt...and he'd be a better #3 S than Shiloh Keo or Quentin Demps. Heck, he'd be a better return guy than Keshawn Martin, and would allow us to keep Danieal Manning focused on defense.

The downside is obvious, given his background - but his upside, based on how many holes he could fill from a number of spots and situations is outstanding.

amazingandre

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
kenney wrote:

Our willingness to spend our 2nd pick of the draft on DeVier Posey (another player who got caught up in drama and missed his last year of college ball) tells me that selecting Mathieu isn't too long of a shot. This would have a shade of win/win, as Mathieu was a member of John Lucas' rehab program; The former Houston Rocket took an interest in Mathieu and did what he could to help out the player - being in close proximity to Lucas would help Mathieu out in getting his situation in order and focusing on playing football.

In regards to what he brings on the field - an absolute YES to the Honey Badger for the Texans. Not a fast guy, not a big guy...but has a knack to get to the football and jar it out and make big plays once he has the ball in his hands. He doesn't have the size to man a spot on the outsides (not that we would need him to with Joseph and Jackson) but as a NCB? Maybe in the S rotation as the #3 S? Holy hell, he would be a nightmare player for offenses to account for, covering the slot or playing up over the top in our Man/Cover 1 scheme.

Mathieu would be an upgrade over any of our non-starters in the secondary; He would be a better #3 CB than Brice McCain, Alan Ball, Brandon Harris, Roc Carmichael, Stanford Routt...and he'd be a better #3 S than Shiloh Keo or Quentin Demps. Heck, he'd be a better return guy than Keshawn Martin, and would allow us to keep Danieal Manning focused on defense.

The downside is obvious, given his background - but his upside, based on how many holes he could fill from a number of spots and situations is outstanding.

I think it depends on how he interviews, is he sorry, did he learn from his mistakes, will he blame others? If he interviews well and takes responsibility, I think we would consider him. I would def. spend a 2nd rounder on him. He is a game changer...
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
kenney wrote:

I think it depends on how he interviews, is he sorry, did he learn from his mistakes, will he blame others? If he interviews well and takes responsibility, I think we would consider him. I would def. spend a 2nd rounder on him. He is a game changer...

I think there's a snowballs chance in hell of the Texans taking Mathieu in the draft. Rick Smith said in an interview last year that the Texans would forgive a players discretions if it was a one time thing and the player has taken responsibility for his actions and owned up to it. Mathieu failed 3 drug tests to get kicked out of LSU and then was arrested for being a drug dealer along with several other of LSU's finest student athletes. That's 4 strikes against him, not to mention the fact that he's undersized for the NFL, not that good in coverage, been out of football to long, hasn't learned from his mistakes because he keeps making the same ones over and over again. Folks selecting Mathieu in their mocks are drafting a memory of what he was 2yrs. ago and expecting that to translate to the NFL. An undersized Safety/drug dealer isn't what Bob McNair has in mind for his team.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: