Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 Free Agency General Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 87, 88, 89  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cpnesdude41

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: 2013 Free Agency General Discussion Reply with quote

I have been frequenting this site for years and i believe this is the first thread I've ever started. Also, I looked for a similar thread and didnt find one so if i missed it feel free to do as need be done a lock this puppy up. And last but not least, I realize the rather unlikeliness that any of the things talked about in here will come to be due to our amazing general manager TT and it doesn't bother me a bit, but just for fun...

A few names I've been looking at have sparked some interest in me. I think all these guys can be had for relatively cheap, be productive, and quite simply be a positive addition to our team.

First, Shonn Green. Liked this guy coming out, had a relatively successful season in NY despite being on the crappy jets. 1000 yard rusher back to back seasons and ypc roughly 4 back to back seasons. Why hes cheap, coming off his rookie deal, he hasn't really over-come his so-so hype from draft day so shouldn't command much more than his rookie deal, which netted him a whole 841k this year. He's also had a lil but of a fumbling problem(4 this season) but that is definantly a coachable problem.

Peyton Hillis. This man was an absolute monster at one time, but has all but faded away the past couple years. Truth be told he is injury prone. only one full season in his 5 year career. Why do i think this could work? GB is gonna be RB by committee til MM leaves IMO, less carries, less injuries. Peytons cap hit was 2.8mil this past season but he wont get near 2stacks this year. Kickin the tires on this 26 year old(yup on 26) may pay off. And who wouldnt like to see Kuhn stop getting stopped on those 3rd n short plays.

Last RB, Felix Jones. Felix busted out onto the scene his rookie year like a man on fire(sry Denzel). Then he go hurt. Since he's been a shell of that guy, a back up, and always tweaking something. But Felix still has flashes of his rookie self now n then which makes ya wonder, with the right opportunity perhaps he could succeed. Much like Hillis, I think a RB by committee is good for this guy and could bring out a lil more of that pre-injury former self. It also doesn't hurt, for all these backs i've listed, that they'd be playing for a team whom has a qb that strikes fear into defenses, something pretty much none of them has been around. Felix is my least favorable choice of these three, also in all likeliness the most expensive but could be worth it for the right price.

*BONUS*Cedric Benson, give the man another chance! (where's my bonus?)

Now I'm gonna get a bit far-fetched and rather pricey(hell yea!)*gathers Ted Thompsons' full attention*. Ed Reed. boom. i said that. Hear me out. Ed Reed is old, like get this guy a cane(cain? caen?) old. Reeds lost a step too, like get this guy an escalator. But Ed Reed is a HOF, the definition of ball-hawk, the playmaker on defense, and an instant upgrade to this defense. Infact this idea alone just made morgan burnett feel better today, he's smiling right now. This might be a lil pricey, my hopes would be 6.5mil for a one year deal(Ideal IMO). Why it works. Reed n woodson on the field at the same time, all your pass are in our hands. Dom just got a woody. those three safety sets we play are no longer strategic, but dangerous. Its like when we ran the psycho, except it would work and the annoucers talking about it wouldnt look stupid. How do we get Ed in GB. Ed is a free agent after the season, if he doesn't win the superbowl, no doubt in my mind he's gonna come back. But he would come back to Baltimore wouldn't he? NO. Baltimore is old as piis and this seems like what could be a last hoo-rah for awhile. While Ed sits on his couch and TT calls him this off-season, hes gonna see this: a team on the doorstep, a talent-laden roster, an actual quarterback, defenders under 25, and the opportunities to a) win it all and go out on top, and b) play next to charles woodson. Those reasons are plenty enough to make Ed atleast consider the idea. NTM him n wood could possibly be the best safety combo ever, even if for a year..

Well ive had my piece, its all in TTs hands now. Do these guys sound like good ideas, what say you?
Kal-El

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't Steven Jackson hit the market as well?

I think he has a couple more good years left.

Pro-Johnny Footbawl.
Bleed G&G

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy that I would like is Henry Melton from the Bears. IMO he would finally fill the Cullen Jenkins role that we've been missing the past two years. He's younger and I'm pretty sure he has a good injury record.
blueswedeshoes

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bleed G&G wrote:
The guy that I would like is Henry Melton from the Bears. IMO he would finally fill the Cullen Jenkins role that we've been missing the past two years. He's younger and I'm pretty sure he has a good injury record.

He's likely to have an impressive injury record if he comes to play for us.
spilltray

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the guys we have to resign, I don't see anyone in FA that is going to be worth the price tag they are going to command. We need to focus on resigning our own and maybe finding value role players that slip through the cracks and are good values, not older name guys or guys hitting the market because their teams can't afford them.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cpnesdude41

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal-El wrote:

For starters his got one year left on his contract, but thatd be a great guy to add, dudes still a monster, and has actually remained quite healthy the last few years. My worries is his age, production, and money(especially the money). he'd be 30 next offseason, he's only gettin a lil over 1000 a year and 4ypc the last few years, which is fine by me, but his cap hit stays at roughly 8mil a year and his free agency money prolly wouldnt waiver much, barring injury.
spilltray

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cpnesdude41 wrote:
Kal-El wrote:

For starters his got one year left on his contract, but thatd be a great guy to add, dudes still a monster, and has actually remained quite healthy the last few years. My worries is his age, production, and money(especially the money). he'd be 30 next offseason, he's only gettin a lil over 1000 a year and 4ypc the last few years, which is fine by me, but his cap hit stays at roughly 8mil a year and his free agency money prolly wouldnt waiver much, barring injury.

It's a voidable year that either is almost certainly going to be voided, or has already met the conditions to be voided. He's expected to hit the open market as a FA this year.

That said, unless the price is VERY nice... DO NOT WANT
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cpnesdude41

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bleed G&G wrote:

Well Benson and Green Could be had for under a mil per year which to me still works greatly with trying to keep our guys here. It would also save us from wanting/needing to spend an early draft pick in the offensive back field. Production in the run game is what we truely need, not a every down back.
Blink

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all know what's going to happen.

We'll be completely silent in FA the first week, some slightly above average player will be linked to us in the media, we'll go insane with hope, he'll sign elsewhere without even coming in to visit. Then another week later we'll make a Brandon Chillar esque signing and we'll start talking ourselves into thinking it'll be a big deal. Rinse, repeat.

This year will probably be even more quiet on the FA front than usual considering the guys we have to sign already.

BTW: I don't see the point of signing a decent RB FA unless there's a new commitment to the run game. A slight upgrade at RB probably won't do much in terms of overall production in the run game. Shonne Green isn't going to change anything by himself.
cpnesdude41

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spilltray wrote:
cpnesdude41 wrote:
Kal-El wrote:

It's a voidable year that either is almost certainly going to be voided, or has already met the conditions to be voided. He's expected to hit the open market as a FA this year.

That said, unless the price is VERY nice... DO NOT WANT

mucho mucho agree-o
cpnesdude41

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blink wrote:

We'll be completely silent in FA the first week, some slightly above average player will be linked to us in the media, we'll go insane with hope, he'll sign elsewhere without even coming in to visit. Then another week later we'll make a Brandon Chillar esque signing and we'll start talking ourselves into thinking it'll be a big deal. Rinse, repeat.

This year will probably be even more quiet on the FA front than usual considering the guys we have to sign already.

BTW: I don't see the point of signing a decent RB FA unless there's a new commitment to the run game. A slight upgrade at RB probably won't do much in terms of overall production in the run game. Shonne Green isn't going to change anything by himself.

Your prolly right, but green bulaga n and sherrod would. And going back to my first post here, a alex green, harris, and hillis backfield sounds perfect imo.[/b]
spilltray

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cpnesdude41 wrote:
Blink wrote:

Your prolly right, but green bulaga n and sherrod would. And going back to my first post here, a alex green, harris, and hillis backfield sounds perfect imo.[/b]

I think trying to draft a RB like Stepfan Taylor or Eddie Lacy and running with a backfield of Alex Green, Dujuann Harris, and Taylor/Lacy makes more sense.
Blink

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sherrod isn't known for his run blocking first of all, and who knows how he comes back from such a nasty injury.

Every dollar you spend on a RB is a dollar less you can use on Clay, BJ, GJ, Aaron, etc...

I definitely understand the desire to improve the run game, but I think the money is best spent else where considering how little we seem to value that aspect of our offense.
cpnesdude41

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spilltray wrote:
cpnesdude41 wrote:
Blink wrote:

I think trying to draft a RB like Stepfan Taylor or Eddie Lacy and running with a backfield of Alex Green, Dujuann Harris, and Taylor/Lacy makes more sense.

As much as id love that, i think id rather see a cheap FA and Sylvester Williams or William Gholston with our 2nd rounder(going off current mocks for player value) or even a Will Davis or Phillip Thomas.
spilltray

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cpnesdude41 wrote:
spilltray wrote:
cpnesdude41 wrote:
Blink wrote:

As much as id love that, i think id rather see a cheap FA and Sylvester Williams or William Gholston with our 2nd rounder(going off current mocks for player value) or even a Will Davis or Phillip Thomas.

Hell no to Gholston for me, especially that early. I also don't think Williams will last until the end of the second. The S in this class are mostly JAGs IMO.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 87, 88, 89  Next
Page 1 of 89

Jump to: