Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Here's an idea... Guess this year's Saints draft shocker!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raves

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FLOODx wrote:
Does anyone know who Kiper has us taking in his new mock?

EDIT: Nevermind, just found out. He has us taking Hankins

Great pick Wink Him combined with Hicks would be epic in the middle.

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
TE Jimmy Graham-86 rec, 1215 yds, 16 TDs
WR Kenny Still-34 rec, 641 yds, 5 TDs
Harper41

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raves wrote:
FLOODx wrote:

Except it does nothing in the way of giving us a pass rush. We have IMO the worst pass rush in the league, so we draft a run stuffing DT? Who cares, I'd be shocked if we didn't draft Tavon Austin or something similairly stupid.

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)
FLOODx

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't see us drafting an offensive player in the first round unless it's an OT

gopherwrestler on the sig.
Adopt-a-Saint
Cam Jordan: 47 tackles, 12.5 sacks, 2 FF
Harper41

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FLOODx wrote:
Can't see us drafting an offensive player in the first round unless it's an OT

How many years in a row have we said that? How many years have they drafted a WR or a HB? Never count this team out to make a terrible draft pick in the first round.

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Raves

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
Raves wrote:
FLOODx wrote:

Except it does nothing in the way of giving us a pass rush. We have IMO the worst pass rush in the league, so we draft a run stuffing DT? Who cares, I'd be shocked if we didn't draft Tavon Austin or something similairly stupid.

He's a run stuffer that collapses the pocket, requires double teams, and can get after the passer still. So him taking up 2 blockers and still pushing them back, he's got ridiculous leg strength so even with bad hands he's able to push bigger interior OL back, and his pass rush moves aren't bad and his first step great as he had the move to DE at times the year before to get extra pressure from the outside, and the double teams will open up Jordan and Hicks.

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
Harper41

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raves wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
Raves wrote:
FLOODx wrote:

He's a run stuffer that collapses the pocket, requires double teams, and can get after the passer still. So him taking up 2 blockers and still pushing them back, he's got ridiculous leg strength so even with bad hands he's able to push bigger interior OL back, and his pass rush moves aren't bad and his first step great as he had the move to DE at times the year before to get extra pressure from the outside, and the double teams will open up Jordan and Hicks.

I know you love the guy Raves, but he won't require double teams in the NFL. In college? Yeah. In the NFL, he's Brodrick Bunkley with a quicker first step. He wouldn't give this team any additional pass rush.

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drafting DT's in the 1st round is getting to be our downfall!

Yeah Hankins seems like a can't miss interior stud but so did Jonthan Sullivan & Sedrick Ellis. Brodrick Bunkley was a former 1st rounder who was also considered a can't miss when the Eagles took him yet our best DT with the most promise is a guy who we drafted from Regina In the 3rd round when everyone and there momma called it a reach at the time.

DT's are found later... Go for a more coveted position in round 1 like DE, CB or even OT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
Canadian Saint

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on what Bushrod's demands are:

OT Eric Fisher.

Big guy, who is already a NFL level pass protector. Pretty decent as a run stopper. Brown would probably get first dibs as LT, while Fisher would be eased in at RT.

We further save oodles of money(in addition to to cutting Smith, Vilma and Harper and letting Ellis go), we can afford to throw a big contract to a Michael Johnson if he reaches free agency and potentially adding a CB or S through free agency too.

NFL: New Orleans Saints
NHL: Edmonton Oilers
MLB: Minnesota Twins/ Toronto Blue Jays
NBA: Phoenix Suns/Toronto Raptors
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian Saint wrote:
Depending on what Bushrod's demands are:

OT Eric Fisher.

Big guy, who is already a NFL level pass protector. Pretty decent as a run stopper. Brown would probably get first dibs as LT, while Fisher would be eased in at RT.

We further save oodles of money(in addition to to cutting Smith, Vilma and Harper and letting Ellis go), we can afford to throw a big contract to a Michael Johnson if he reaches free agency and potentially adding a CB or S through free agency too.

Sign Michael Johnson and Cary Williams in FA

Draft Eric Fisher in round 1

Cut Smith, Vilma, Ellis and Harper.

Restructure Brees, Evans and Thomas

whodatworm23

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Harp...

Just think if Payton was already back and was able to land Tony Sprano to coach the 0-line, Rod Maranili to coach the d-line and replace Spagnuolo with Ray Horton.

Laughing hold on... i'm waking up!

whodatworm23

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raves wrote:
FLOODx wrote:

Just curious about something there T-Raves...

If the Saints did select your boy Hankins, what role would you see Bunkley playing?

You say that Hankins and Hicks tandem in the middle would be epic so I assume you have them starting. If so, paying Bunkley almost 5 million to be a reserve run stuffer would be about as worthless as paying Harper 5 mill to be a nickel linebacker.

If your telling me we'd release Bunkley then I understand but in no way do I see the Saints drafting a run stuffing NT and keeping Bunkley at his cap number on a team that is straped aganist it.

Raves

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
Raves wrote:
FLOODx wrote:

If the Saints did select your boy Hankins, what role would you see Bunkley playing?

You say that Hankins and Hicks tandem in the middle would be epic so I assume you have them starting. If so, paying Bunkley almost 5 million to be a reserve run stuffer would be about as worthless as paying Harper 5 mill to be a nickel linebacker.

If your telling me we'd release Bunkley then I understand but in no way do I see the Saints drafting a run stuffing NT and keeping Bunkley at his cap number on a team that is straped aganist it.

Hankins will make Bunkley expendable. Hankins can rush the passer simply by pushing people back. Harper seems to think that Hankins won't be able to do that in the NFL, but he's blowing up NFL caliber lineman when going against teams like Wisconsin on a consistent basis. He'll be able to push the pocket back onto the QB while stuffing the run and that would allow Hicks to run free.

Hankins at #15 would make about ~3 million per year and we let Bunkley leave, if we can get a late round pick for him even better.

~edit~ Also if in the future we do make a move to the 3-4, Hankins would be much better suited playing the NT position than Bunkley would be.

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
101stSaintsFan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raves wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:
Raves wrote:
FLOODx wrote:

Hankins will make Bunkley expendable. Hankins can rush the passer simply by pushing people back. Harper seems to think that Hankins won't be able to do that in the NFL, but he's blowing up NFL caliber lineman when going against teams like Wisconsin on a consistent basis. He'll be able to push the pocket back onto the QB while stuffing the run and that would allow Hicks to run free.

Hankins at #15 would make about ~3 million per year and we let Bunkley leave, if we can get a late round pick for him even better.

~edit~ Also if in the future we do make a move to the 3-4, Hankins would be much better suited playing the NT position than Bunkley would be.

I'm cool with that. Williams wall v2.0? It doesn't matter at this point. Our Defense can't stop the run...can't stop the pass... With 2 beast DT's hopefully we can stuff the run, collapse the pocket and get lucky in later rounds of the draft/free agency/next year's draft with a beast DE. whatever we do in the draft needs to involve the D-Line. A damn good D-line will make a crappy secondary play/seem better.

Bottom line is that our defense is terrible...Whatever is going to happen needs to happen quick, fast and in a hurry. Oh and we need to hit a friggin homerun.

Major props to a fine American, Uncle Buck.

The CHAMPS are going back to form! WHODAT!
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raves wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:
Raves wrote:
FLOODx wrote:

Im onboard with it as long as Bunkley is out the door... I have always felt Hankins was good at what he does, my biggest deal with Hankins was his fit. I dident want to see a pairing of Hankins and Bunkley. Hankins and Hicks I would be ok with as long as the Saints find a way to move Bunkley and free up his cap figure to better fill out the roster.

A starting D-Line of...

LE - Cam Jordan
NT - Jon Hankins
DT - Akiem Hicks
RE - Michael Johnson

Would be sweeeetttt!!! Wink

potus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
Raves wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:
Raves wrote:
FLOODx wrote:

Im onboard with it as long as Bunkley is out the door... I have always felt Hankins was good at what he does, my biggest deal with Hankins was his fit. I dident want to see a pairing of Hankins and Bunkley. Hankins and Hicks I would be ok with as long as the Saints find a way to move Bunkley and free up his cap figure to better fill out the roster.

A starting D-Line of...

LE - Cam Jordan
NT - Jon Hankins
DT - Akiem Hicks
RE - Michael Johnson

Would be sweeeetttt!!! Wink

Two things I don't get.

I don't understand why you would give up on Bunkley after a year when the whole defense laid an egg. Everyone was ecstatic when he was signed last year, even fans around the league were saying we got a steal. He was great in Denver the year before so it's not like the guy isn't proven. Fix the pass rush first then re-evaluate the DTs.

Second, what happens if Michael Johnson puts up a 4 sack season? Does that mean you wanna cut him after the first year? Enough with all these FA signings. One or two isn't bad but it's time to start building through the draft. Like everyone says, it's a young mans game.

I feel the DT's as a whole, being Bunkley and Hicks are probably the safest and most proven position on defense at this point.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: