Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chargers Name Mike McCoy Head Coach
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elwayfan07 wrote:
McCoy as an OC was frustrating, at times. However, I'm in the camp that believes he will make a fine HC. He is articulate and is not so stubborn as to force players to fit in a "system". He fits his system around what his players can do. He was a very good hire

Also not going to be the playcaller, which could be nice. Obviously will heavily influence it, but still.

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
game3525

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

footbull3196 wrote:
Bad move, why hire this guy when Lovie Smith was still available on the open market? This team needs defense and an offensive line. The Chargers have enough pieces elsewhere to where they can contend again next year...

You are thinking of the 2011 Chargers, the 2012 Chargers actually have a young up-in-coming defense.

The offense, particularly the offensive line sucks.
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is the first time I Charger story has been at the top of the News Forum. I like this relevant feeling, even if it is just because we hired a new coach to try to fix the mess our last one landed us in.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this was expected, and wanted by most fans. He wasn't quite as bad as McDaniels, but his conservative and questionable play calling had me pulling out my hair at times. I think it's good for the Broncos though. We will get a better OC to replace him.
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twizlers wrote:
Well this was expected, and wanted by most fans. He wasn't quite as bad as McDaniels, but his conservative and questionable play calling had me pulling out my hair at times. I think it's good for the Broncos though. We will get a better OC to replace him.

I doubt it matters who you hire since Peyton essentially runs the O.

Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
broncos67

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
Twizlers wrote:

Ehh yes and no. He does, but he's made it clear he wants to learn things from other OCs. Also, whoever we hire will have a hand in the development of Brock Osweiler.

Thanks, Tzimisce
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:
Twizlers wrote:

Ehh yes and no. He does, but he's made it clear he wants to learn things from other OCs. Also, whoever we hire will have a hand in the development of Brock Osweiler.

Poor Osweiler. Got to follow the steps of a guy who is one of the greatest ever and he's not Andrew Luck. Laughing

#JDI
Persian Bolt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McCoy made Tebow successful with his limited abilities. I'm sure he can get Rivers back on track if we can get a O line to protect him.

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the start of the new year McCoy was the guy I wanted the most. Nice hire, let's see who he hires.

"Do you imagine Whoresbane loves you any better? If you did not hold the ..., he would pull out your entrails and make you eat them"
"In return, we swore that we should always be their men"
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
Perfundle wrote:
BroncoinGermany wrote:
theJ wrote:

No one likes their offensive coordinator. If you didn't like McCoy, I guarantee you won't like your new one.

People keep saying this but why then do I like our DC? Both coordinate a unit, so where is the difference?

The difference is that the offensive unit has a leader, the QB, and assuming that he hasn't fallen out of favor with the fans, many of them believe that the OC is undermining him with the play-calling. Plus, fans tend to be more invested with the offensive skill players, are are probably more willing to shield them from blame by throwing the OC under the bus.

That's pretty well put. I think it'd make an interesting psychoanalysis, but you probably got it pretty close.

In any case, i would put my entire retirement fund on the bet that more fans like their defensive coordinator than their offensive coordinator. In the cinci forum, everyone loves Mike Zimmer but most are ready to throw Jay Gruden under the bus even though most fans around the NFL would agree that the Bengals are over-matched personnel wise on offense. Doesn't stop the Bengals fans from thinking that Gruden is holding Dalton and the offense back.

That is indeed an interesting take!

I'd also include the fact that the offense by nature is proactive whereas the defense is reactive, hence in a degree constrained playcalling-wise by what the opposing offense does. That perhaps also explains why the general fan usually calls for the OC's head if things go wrong since he presumably could have done better by the nature of his position.

I am not the general fan, however. I have to refer to my original statement. There are various OCs I'd prefer to have in Denver. Whisenhunt, for that matter, is one of those which makes me follow the Eagles HC very closely. Add the previous OCs I mentioned and you can see that I do not simply scapegoat McCoy for the deficiencies of Denver's offense. I am quite aware of the lack of talent of some of our starters. It is that I questioned McCoy's timid and unimaginative playcalling at times which makes me relieved to see him gone.

Chasing Lombardi and Stanley!
WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
iPwn

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ to add to all of that, it's much easier to discern the play calling on the offensive side as well. Every offensive play, you get an idea of what's going on. On the defensive side, most aren't going to see what's happening other than blitz vs coverage and if a player is out of position to make a tackle unless the commentators point out what's going on. I mean aside from "doesn't blitz enough" or "blitzes too much," how often do you really hear any criticisms?

The defensive lapses often look more player oriented than play calling oriented as a result.

- Best since day one -
The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a great hire on paper.

The only reason he became at all notable is because of Peyton Manning.

BUT, ya never know. He could be a great HC. Only time will tell, but definitely the most overrated candidate out there.
game3525

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:

BUT, ya never know. He could be a great HC. Only time will tell, but definitely the most overrated candidate out there.

Except he was a hot candidate last year........
champ+jay+al=SB

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

game3525 wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:

Yeah I mean he put the Tebow offense together.

I think he is a good guy and wish him success. It's gonna be sad not seeing Norv in that pansy blue Crying or Very sad

People call out his "conservative" playcalling, but a lot of the third down runs that ticked people off were Peyton audibles...he is definitely somewhat conservative, but I think that is a little overplayed. He is clearly very adaptable to personnel.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

game3525 wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:

Not really. He may have been on the radar, but wasnt "hot" until this year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: