Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

****Breaking News*** Kelly to Eagles!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
WizardHawk wrote:
Cowboys 2013 Roster Talk, Part 2: How Long Do You Ride With Tony Romo?

Pretty good write up from Drummond. Touches on a few areas that, I believe, are really going to set the bar for the next season or two.

Quote:
Romo has one-year remaining on his contract, 2013. In '13 he is scheduled to cost an astronomical $16.8 million against the salary cap, $11.5m in salary and $5.3m in prorated signing bonus. With Dallas already being almost $20 million above the 2013 cap with 44 of 53 roster spots accounted for, you can see where this is headed.

Maybe this was brought up before, and I missed it. I knew Dallas was up against it, but didn't realize they were that far in the red.

Quote:
You cannot run a front office on blind faith and circumstantial support. Well, you can... but you shouldn't.

Does the Cowboys front office allow these dire financial straits to dictate how their future plays out? One of the many complaints about the Dallas front office is their bad financial planning; giving contracts to players that will no longer be useful during the latter parts of the deal. It has stung them time and time again. It's the reason we signed guys like Mackenzy Bernadeau and Nate Livings instead of Carl Nicks or Ben Grubbs last Spring. Read "Part 1" about the impact of dead money. They have to stop doing the "restructure shuffle." Have to.

Have to agree with the bolded as well. That said, how does Dallas get through the off season w/o doing this?

Quote:
My suggestion? Do whatever you have to in order to be under the cap WITHOUT extending Romo if at all possible. Next year, slap the franchise tag on him and make him one of the five highest paid QBs in the game. By the end of 2014, you'll hopefully have a successor in place. You also have the option of franchising him again in 2015. That gives a one to three-year window to see if the young player you drafted has what it takes to move into the big chair. It also gives you time to decide on offering him a three or four-year deal should you achieve ultimate success with him at the helm.

This seems like a decent idea, should Romo go for, which I would consider a longshot at best.

If you let his contract expire AND slap the tag on on him, then you eat the tag money along with all the prorated bonuses that would escalate - it'd likely end up being over $20m with the tag being $15m by itself (2013 is 14.6m)

What bonuses? The contract would expire.

Kiltman on avy n' sig
George Selvie Fan Club
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WizardHawk wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:
WizardHawk wrote:
Cowboys 2013 Roster Talk, Part 2: How Long Do You Ride With Tony Romo?

Pretty good write up from Drummond. Touches on a few areas that, I believe, are really going to set the bar for the next season or two.

Quote:
Romo has one-year remaining on his contract, 2013. In '13 he is scheduled to cost an astronomical $16.8 million against the salary cap, $11.5m in salary and $5.3m in prorated signing bonus. With Dallas already being almost $20 million above the 2013 cap with 44 of 53 roster spots accounted for, you can see where this is headed.

Maybe this was brought up before, and I missed it. I knew Dallas was up against it, but didn't realize they were that far in the red.

Quote:
You cannot run a front office on blind faith and circumstantial support. Well, you can... but you shouldn't.

Does the Cowboys front office allow these dire financial straits to dictate how their future plays out? One of the many complaints about the Dallas front office is their bad financial planning; giving contracts to players that will no longer be useful during the latter parts of the deal. It has stung them time and time again. It's the reason we signed guys like Mackenzy Bernadeau and Nate Livings instead of Carl Nicks or Ben Grubbs last Spring. Read "Part 1" about the impact of dead money. They have to stop doing the "restructure shuffle." Have to.

Have to agree with the bolded as well. That said, how does Dallas get through the off season w/o doing this?

Quote:
My suggestion? Do whatever you have to in order to be under the cap WITHOUT extending Romo if at all possible. Next year, slap the franchise tag on him and make him one of the five highest paid QBs in the game. By the end of 2014, you'll hopefully have a successor in place. You also have the option of franchising him again in 2015. That gives a one to three-year window to see if the young player you drafted has what it takes to move into the big chair. It also gives you time to decide on offering him a three or four-year deal should you achieve ultimate success with him at the helm.

This seems like a decent idea, should Romo go for, which I would consider a longshot at best.

If you let his contract expire AND slap the tag on on him, then you eat the tag money along with all the prorated bonuses that would escalate - it'd likely end up being over $20m with the tag being $15m by itself (2013 is 14.6m)

The money was already paid - they were Restructure bonuses - ie. we took 12m of his 13m salary and paid it upfront but spread the cap hit out over 5 years. Did that 3 times with Romo IIRC and even after 2013 we'd still have 9.6 approx that would have to go somewhere. It doesn't just disappear.

Sig courtesy of mack.
me227

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my question about franchising Romo, Can you do it? His contract isn't running out after the 2013 season, it is getting voided out. I may be wrong but I don't think he can be franchised due to the fact that his contract didn't "run out".

2011 Dallas Cowboys Pick 'Em Champion
buckwild

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="MaddHatter"]
buckwild wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:
Larry Lacewell denies claims that Jerry consulted with him or contacted him at any time.

Mike Fisher declared emphatically yesterday that Jerry consulted with Switzer and Lacewell before making the Kiffin hire. He also stated that Lacewell is the one telling Jerry to re-sign Spencer, and it would give the Cowboys the best DE tandem in the league.

Might want to tap the brakes on the old man jokes as we just hired a 73 year old to be DC.

Mike Fisher may have his sources or may just be spreading rumors but when Lacewell personally says he hasn't talked with Jerry then I see to think otherwise. It's not like him admitting he's consulting the Cowboys hurts something[/quot

Trying to give Jerry all the credit since he knows jerry as well as anyone, but keep your head in the sand,MH. Do you actually think that Garrett has the reins on this team?

Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
Matts4313

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buckwild wrote:
Do you actually think that Garrett has the reins on this team?

You didnt ask me, but I think Garrett has more control than most Dallas coaches (excluding BP and JJ).
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:
Larry Lacewell denies claims that Jerry consulted with him or contacted him at any time.

Lacewell needs to stay away from this team and focus more on things like tapioca pudding, prunes, cottage cheese, grapefruit, and making sure the cable is up and running at the old age home.

What'd Lacewell do to earn your ire? He was one of the key proponents that over rode Parcells when it came to drafting Ware. I'm sure his scouting missed on things here and there but who hasn't?

Where there is Lacewell, there is Switzer.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:

Lacewell needs to stay away from this team and focus more on things like tapioca pudding, prunes, cottage cheese, grapefruit, and making sure the cable is up and running at the old age home.

What'd Lacewell do to earn your ire? He was one of the key proponents that over rode Parcells when it came to drafting Ware. I'm sure his scouting missed on things here and there but who hasn't?

Where there is Lacewell, there is Switzer.

He was in Dallas from 92-04 - that's every coach from Jimmy to Bill

I get he was an assistant under Barry at OU in his coaching days, but I don't think he's the reason Jimmy got fired or Barry hired, so a bit of a stretch to put your hate towards him for what Jerry did.

Sig courtesy of mack.
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buckwild wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:
buckwild wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:

Mike Fisher declared emphatically yesterday that Jerry consulted with Switzer and Lacewell before making the Kiffin hire. He also stated that Lacewell is the one telling Jerry to re-sign Spencer, and it would give the Cowboys the best DE tandem in the league.

Might want to tap the brakes on the old man jokes as we just hired a 73 year old to be DC.

Mike Fisher may have his sources or may just be spreading rumors but when Lacewell personally says he hasn't talked with Jerry then I see to think otherwise. It's not like him admitting he's consulting the Cowboys hurts something

Trying to give Jerry all the credit since he knows jerry as well as anyone, but keep your head in the sand,MH. Do you actually think that Garrett has the reins on this team?

Conspiracies!! They're EVERYWHERE!!

Sig courtesy of mack.
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
WizardHawk wrote:

The money was already paid - they were Restructure bonuses - ie. we took 12m of his 13m salary and paid it upfront but spread the cap hit out over 5 years. Did that 3 times with Romo IIRC and even after 2013 we'd still have 9.6 approx that would have to go somewhere. It doesn't just disappear.

I'm pretty sketchy on all the contract lingo and what not....

What I really mean to say is if Romo is on the team through the 2013 season, the remainder of his contract is void. Correct? I would assume that means all parts of it, hence he would be an UFA. You don't become an UFA if you are stilled owed money...at least that doesn't seem logical to me.

Kiltman on avy n' sig
George Selvie Fan Club
buckwild

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
buckwild wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:
buckwild wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:

Mike Fisher may have his sources or may just be spreading rumors but when Lacewell personally says he hasn't talked with Jerry then I see to think otherwise. It's not like him admitting he's consulting the Cowboys hurts something

Conspiracies!! They're EVERYWHERE!!

It is foolish to think that Jerry does not talk with people he trusts regarding football decisions.(Jimmy,Lacewell,Switzer or even Parcells)

So saying that this is Jerry or Cowboy hate is ridiculous, and you have such a great grapevine for Cowboys news up there in Maryland. I'm sure that they are highly covered on your local sports talk radio station between Terps basketball and Orioles spring training news, right?

Like I keep saying bury your head in the Sand believing that Jerry is not making all the decisions at Valley Ranch, because the thing he wants most is something that he can buy with his Billions. That creditablity as a "football" man, and the ability to build a team that win a Super Bowl.

Don't get me wrong I am a diehard Cowboys fan since I was 8 years old, and have hope that Redball can turn things around at Valley Ranch. As long as Jerry doesn't pull the rug out from underneath him. Jerry for once in 20 years trust in you Head Coach!

Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WizardHawk wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:
WizardHawk wrote:

What I really mean to say is if Romo is on the team through the 2013 season, the remainder of his contract is void. Correct? I would assume that means all parts of it, hence he would be an UFA. You don't become an UFA if you are stilled owed money...at least that doesn't seem logical to me.

Voiding his contract doesn't void the cap hit - just like if you were to cut him, all his guaranteed money and previously paid money would hit that years cap. If you could just void the cap hits of future years, everyone would do it and never end up in cap crunch.

Sig courtesy of mack.
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
WizardHawk wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:
WizardHawk wrote:

Voiding his contract doesn't void the cap hit - just like if you were to cut him, all his guaranteed money and previously paid money would hit that years cap. If you could just void the cap hits of future years, everyone would do it and never end up in cap crunch.

Do me a favor and dissect the meaning here

Apparently this is wrong.

Also, where did the $12M come from? According to this, the signing bonus was only $8.19M.

Kiltman on avy n' sig
George Selvie Fan Club
Football Mensa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Eagles new HC, Ryan, Rumors Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Football Mensa wrote:
Wouldn't be petty at all. It's business just like with Ryan. One of Jerry's problems is loyalty. Joe should have in fact been fired immediately following the Hawks game.

I don't think the situation is similar to Ryan at all.

Ryan wasn't interviewing for a HC vacancy, Coach Joe was.
Ryan's replacement was being targeted for another vacancy, based on what I know we don't even have a short list to replace Coach Joe yet.

I would have been disappointed to see him fired while he is trying to get a promotion - and I am pretty sure I am the harshest critic of Coach Joe here.

Doesn't have to be similar. Joe has been horrible and should be fired. Doesn't matter if he is trying to get a head coaching job. That has nothing to do with how poor the special teams have been. If the gm is going to announce that things will be uncomfortable don't pick and choose who's feeling you want to save. If the gm thought Ryan was bad there is no way he can look in the mirror and say Joe D wasn't. It would be incumbent upon Joe to go sell his wares someplace else.
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Eagles new HC, Ryan, Rumors Reply with quote

Football Mensa wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Football Mensa wrote:
Wouldn't be petty at all. It's business just like with Ryan. One of Jerry's problems is loyalty. Joe should have in fact been fired immediately following the Hawks game.

Ryan's replacement was being targeted for another vacancy, based on what I know we don't even have a short list to replace Coach Joe yet.

I would have been disappointed to see him fired while he is trying to get a promotion - and I am pretty sure I am the harshest critic of Coach Joe here.

Doesn't have to be similar. Joe has been horrible and should be fired. Doesn't matter if he is trying to get a head coaching job. That has nothing to do with how poor the special teams have been. If the gm is going to announce that things will be uncomfortable don't pick and choose who's feeling you want to save. If the gm thought Ryan was bad there is no way he can look in the mirror and say Joe D wasn't. It would be incumbent upon Joe to go sell his wares someplace else.

Given that the off-season isn't over yet, I don't know why you are rushing to judgement. Fans are so entitled. This notion that people have to be fired a week earlier or later based on the fans emotions is irrational.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Football Mensa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Eagles new HC, Ryan, Rumors Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Football Mensa wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Football Mensa wrote:

Given that the off-season isn't over yet, I don't know why you are rushing to judgement. Fans are so entitled. This notion that people have to be fired a week earlier or later based on the fans emotions is irrational.

4 years in the making....isn't a rush to judgement. Firing an underperforming coach seems reational to me as well as most Dallas fans. Worrying about whether said underperforming coach gets promoted seems paradoxical.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: