Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jrry32 1/14/12 Mock Off-Season
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrry32

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:24 am    Post subject: Jrry32 1/14/12 Mock Off-Season Reply with quote

I was bored so I decided I'd do another mock. Gonna be really missing football season soon. This is one way I could personally see myself doing it if I were in charge:
Cut
Steven Jackson - Sorry but 7 mil is too much
Quintin Mikell
Wayne Hunter
Chris Williams
Harvey Dahl - Some won't like the move but 4 million is too much to pay a guy that we didn't miss once he was on IR

Re-sign
Danny Amendola - I'll opt to bring him back in this mock
William Hayes
Wayne Hunter - Just not worth 4 mil
Robert Turner

Free Agent Signings

Kenny Phillips FS

Jason Jones DT

Leodis McKelvin CB/RS

Brad Jones SLB

NFL Draft
Round 1 Pick #16 - Chance Warmack LG Alabama
Explanation: I still think this is the best pick we can make. It solidifies the interior OL with one of the most dominant talents in this draft. Warmack is a massive OL who can create huge seams in the run game. He's a mauler in every sense of the word and is the type of OL that Fisher absolutely loves. As a pass protector, he's a guy who can function as both a puncher and a grabber which actually works quite well. Not many guys can do both effectively, usually a player will be one or the other. This will allow him to effectively counter the different styles of pass rusher he faces. I personally think that position aside, Warmack is the most dominant OL in CFB right now.

Round 1 Pick #22 - Lane Johnson OT Oklahoma
Explanation: Some may not love the pick but Johnson is very high on my list right now of potential OTs for the Rams because he offers the versatility of being able to play LT and RT along with the long term developmental potential to be a great LT. He still is in the process of developing as an OT having only played the position 2 years. However, he has all the physical attributes to be great. He has the range, the feet, the length, the balance and the powerful hands that are necessary to succeed at the OT position. He needs to add some more bulk and functional strength as he's a bit light at 6'6" 305 but time in a NFL S&C program plus the predraft preparation should help with that. What cannot be denied is that Johnson is rarely on the ground, he can effectively drive block and has the ability to make his man disappear from the game when he's technically sound. Also, the kid has a mean streak and that term is flung around too often. Johnson, like Harvey Dahl, plays through the whistle and finishes his blocks. Like I said, the kid is still a work in progress in terms of technique but I think Paul Boudreau can turn this kid into a star.

Round 2 Pick #16 - DJ Swearinger SS South Carolina
Explanation: Who doesn't want some more attitude and physicality in our secondary? Swearinger will definitely add that. Swearinger is one of the hardest hitters in all of college football. He is definitely the type of player who goes for the killshot when you come into his zone. He is a player who has shown the ability to play effectively in the box, in deep coverage, in underneath zones and in man to man. This year alone, South Carolina has used him as a center-fielder, a hybrid S/OLB, a slot CB and a boundary CB. While Swearinger has tweener size at 5'11" 210, don't mistake his lack of size for a lack of physicality or strength. Pound for pound, he's one of the strongest players on the SC team. I've seen him stand up and take down players like Randall Cobb, Mark Ingram and Jeff Demps in the open-field. Seen him take down Trent Richardson in the open-field. He's an excellent open-field tackler with instincts and a nose for the ball. On the negative side, his tackling technique can get sloppy when he thinks he has help and his motor runs hot and cold...especially when he thinks the play is over. Doesn't always play to the whistle basically. Also is still developing in deep zones as he'll take the safe route at times rather than try to jump the play. But he's been improving at that and has shown the ability to under-cut routes as well as his impressive range. I like to compare him to former Panthers Safety Mike Minter.
Highlights
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zzy5UTdmWY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMGtpHoLu2I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4ZXQ0BqCMA

Round 3 Pick #16 - Stedman Bailey WR/RS West Virginia
Explanation: Some won't like this pick because Stedman isn't a tall WR but I love watching this kid play. I'd compare his playing style to two players, Steve Smith of the Panthers and Derrick Mason of the Ravens and Titans. Bailey, like Smith, is a small WR who plays big and is physical. He's not afraid to mix it up with bigger CBs or to go up over them and get the football. He doesn't shy away from a fight and plays with a chip on his shoulder. I love the attitude. Like Mason, he's an excellent route runner with quick feet that can gain make opposing players look silly with his routes. Bailey also has good hands, can make spectacular grabs, can make the tough catch in traffic and has good field awareness. He's an excellent runner after the catch and often is able to make players miss or break tackles after the catch with his quick feet, jump cut, stutter step, stiff arm and great balance. He gave Morris Claiborne some trouble a couple years ago when West Virginia played LSU. Bailey is a WR who is ready to make an impact due to his polished route running and could easily work his way into Bradford's good graces quickly. He also offers great versatility with his ability to play outside at both split end and flanker(can beat press coverage), operate out of the slot and contribute as a returnman on special teams. I think he'll be one of the steals of the draft.
Highlights
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9i0ZNwUURQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOnISzeG2Ao

Round 4 Pick #16 - Le'Veon Bell HB Michigan State
Explanation: This one might be wishful thinking but with the overall HB depth, there's gonna be some HBs that fall especially with the position being devalued. I don't expect Bell to run a great 40 time so I'm hoping he falls here. Bell led the NCAA in yards after contact this year and will remind some of Steven in terms of height and weight at 6'2" 245. However, Bell is built differently than Steven. Steven was more top heavy whereas Bell is extremely thick in the lower body and that's the type of build I prefer on a tall HB. I gotta say, Bell is really fun to watch. While he lacks the 2nd gear to have breakaway speed, he has solid burst and is a great overall athlete. It's really funny to see a near 250 pound HB hurdling defenders like it's nothing. And Bell has one of the sickest spin moves that I've ever seen in a big back. It made me laugh on one play when he did a double spin move...back to back spins in opposite directions...to make 2 defenders miss. Bell is an extremely physical, hard-nosed runner that didn't receive very good blocking this year and still made the most of it as his team's only weapon on offense. He carried the ball 382 times which is worrisome but at the same time, at his size, he is a workhorse HB. He needs to be a bit more patient as a runner as he will run into his men at times and not allow them to set-up down-field blocks and he'll miss some cutback lanes. Still, he's a very decisive north-south runner which is never a negative for a big HB. He's also an excellent pass protector who really uses his size well to pick-up blitzes and a pretty good receiver out of the back-field. He very much reminds me of Eddie George in his running style and the cuts he can make at his size. I think he'll do quite well in the NFL and he'd be the perfect heir apparent to Steven Jackson...would mesh well with D-Rich and Pead.
Highlights
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zEJ5cTI4CE

Round 5 Pick #16 - Michael Williams TE Alabama
Explanation: Might as well upgrade on Mulligan if you can. Williams would make a great #2 TE on this roster with his blocking ability and he's a solid receiver. He would allow us to move around Lance Kendricks to exploit some mismatches and would give us a really amazing run blocker for our two tight end sets. This kid is like having a 6th OL on the field. Plus he's a very solid red-zone target with his size and hands. He'll never be a great weapon in the passing game but he'll have a long career as a Jim Kleinsasser type player...and who didn't love Jim Kleinsasser?

Round 6 Pick #16 - Kemal Ishmael FS/SS UCF
Explanation: Ishmael would be great depth behind both Phillips and Swearinger. Ishmael is an undersized safety that just seems like a natural football player. He's not a big time hitter although he'll come up with some hard shots but he is a great tackler. He rarely ever misses a tackle and is excellent at making tackles in space. He can effectively play in and out of the box. He has good range and overall athleticism for the position along with solid cover skills. Good instincts too. He doesn't really stand out in any aspect other than tackling but he's a high motor player who seems to not have any glaring holes in his game. Also is an excellent special teams player. You can never have too much depth in the secondary and this kid would provide us much better play off the bench than we've gotten from Craig Dahl.
Highlights
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muVANT9nyJs

Round 7 Pick #16 - Lonnie Pryor FB Florida State
Explanation: The Rams need a FB and Pryor would be a good fit for our offense. He's a player that can lead block, catch the ball out of the back-field and run with the football. He's an excellent athlete from the FB position with a warrior mentality that is very physical on the field. He runs hard and loves to hit. This is a kid who would offer us some versatility out of the position and would still offer blocking prowess.
Highlights
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3GMWZuHXtc
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:8801985
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:8801444

Projected Starting Line-up:
QB: Sam Bradford
HB: Le'Veon Bell
FB: Lonnie Pryor
WR: Chris Givens
WR: Brian Quick vs. Stedman Bailey
WR: Danny Amendola
TE: Lance Kendricks
LT: Rodger Saffold
LG: Chance Warmack
C: Scott Wells
RG: Rok Watkins vs. Shelley Smith
RT: Lane Johnson

LDE: Chris Long
LDT: Kendall Langford
RDT: Michael Brockers
RDE: Robert Quinn
WLB: Jo-Lonn Dunbar
MLB: James Laurinaitis
SLB: Brad Jones
CB: Cortland Finnegan
CB: Janoris Jenkins
CB: Trumaine Johnson
FS: Kenny Phillips
SS: DJ Swearinger

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: John Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide
KR: Leodis McKelvin
PR: Leodis McKelvin

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
jrry32

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might actually be my favorite mock that I've done so far. Really like the line-up I have there and it all seems realistic in terms of cap. Shores up the OL on offense, adds a versatile and explosive weapon in Bailey and replaces our workhorse HB with young workhorse HB. Defensively, grab some good role players in Jason Jones and Brad Jones, address the safety spot and we have depth.

Plus, McKelvin gives us the explosive returner that many of us have wanted on special teams.

Some may not be happy that I only address the Sam LB spot with a good role player in Brad Jones but I just don't see it as that important. It's a position that gets subbed out in nickel packages so the Sam only plays 30% to 40% of the snaps in most games. Jones is a big LB who can take on blockers and stop the run well. That's what we need.

Really like the safety combo of Phillips and Swearinger. Plus I think Ishmael has some potential back there too. Very Happy

STLRamsFan99

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Swearinger pick is a round too early, a reach for him at that spot. Otherwise I like the mock.
StLunatic88

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutting Dahl is just the wrong move, for a Starter $4 mil is not much at all, there are backups in the league making close to that. He is Fisher's guy on the Line and if we are going to be bringing in both a rookie at LG and RT you need the vets along that line too. And this illusion you are painting that we didnt miss him when he left needs to stop too. Williams and Smith we getting beat constantly, hence why neither of them were able to take the job once Dahl was hurt. Williams was always Whiffing while Shelly was often put on roller-skates and ended up in Bradford or a RBs lap.

Jason Jones already said No to us once, not sure what changes this time around.

Dont have a problem with Lane Johnson, but 2 Offensive Lineman in the first for guys who have just about Never taken First Round Lineman is just not likely.

I dont see the hoopla about Swearinger, yea he is a nice player, but all the sudden he is a Top 45 prospect? Because thats is what we should be getting with our pick (with the 2 forfeited picks it will be the 46th player in the draft). Just too many holes in his game for me to feel comfortable taking him there, when youve had him in the 3rd in the past I felt much more comfortable taking him.

And No Thank You to LeVeon Bell, yea he looks like a monster but he plays like a ballerina. He make look impressive against college speed, and even have a year or two early in the NFL, but with that body type you cannont rely on agility & speed, while not using the Power that his size should provide him. Too much about him reminds me of Brandon Jacobs and thats not a compliment.
ctp2124

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a fan at all. Only picks I really like are Warmack and Bailey.

Props to mike23md

Supporter of Mohammed Sanu and Lavonte David to the Rams
The J.R.S.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've done better work IMO.

Cutting Dahl isn't jiving with me.

When looking at safeties to draft, Philip Thomas from Fresno state is where it is at. He may last until the 3rd also.

Real sports fans do not condone ESPN.
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a big fan either. I admitted Lane is a much better prospect than i gave him credit for originally but i still think there will be a better value at 22. Plus as lunatic said, back to back OL is unlikely.

I also like DJ but also too early IMO.

Not a fan of Bailey at all despite his TD numbers. As you have said time and time again which i agree with completely... We need a big true outside the numbers #1 WR.

Dont like Bell, hes slow and considering how big he is he plays kind of soft. Reminds me of Brandon Jacobs.

1. Amari Cooper
2. Brandon Scherff
3. Todd Gurley
ramsfan55

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not liking Lane Johnson in the run game.
Flatlyner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its going to be hard to have two OLineman in the first round and get a good response. I know little about L.Johnson, so I'll have to differ to your judgement on it. That said, I've liked some of your other mocks better then this one. I am a fan of Swearinger and at this point, I'm unsure if the 2nd is too early or not.

As for Bailey in the 3rd, personally, I'd rather Wheaton in the 3rd.

Like the free agent pick ups however.
Lamarcus Joyner
Tre Mason
jrry32

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StLunatic88 wrote:
Cutting Dahl is just the wrong move, for a Starter $4 mil is not much at all, there are backups in the league making close to that. He is Fisher's guy on the Line and if we are going to be bringing in both a rookie at LG and RT you need the vets along that line too. And this illusion you are painting that we didnt miss him when he left needs to stop too. Williams and Smith we getting beat constantly, hence why neither of them were able to take the job once Dahl was hurt. Williams was always Whiffing while Shelly was often put on roller-skates and ended up in Bradford or a RBs lap.

No. You're looking for things that weren't there to justify keeping Dahl and 4 million is a lot for an OG.

Frankly, I have a feeling that Rok Watkins would beat him out anyways.

Were they as good as Dahl? No. But they weren't the giant liability that you're making them out to be and the OL as an unit was just fine.

Quote:
Jason Jones already said No to us once, not sure what changes this time around.

Dont have a problem with Lane Johnson, but 2 Offensive Lineman in the first for guys who have just about Never taken First Round Lineman is just not likely.

He got an one year prove it deal and he proved the same thing he's shown over his career. Have a feeling he'd be more than fine reuniting with Fisher as a situational pass rusher.

Don't really care what they'd do. As I explained, this is what I'd do...or one possible scenario of what I'd do.

Quote:
I dont see the hoopla about Swearinger, yea he is a nice player, but all the sudden he is a Top 45 prospect? Because thats is what we should be getting with our pick (with the 2 forfeited picks it will be the 46th player in the draft). Just too many holes in his game for me to feel comfortable taking him there, when youve had him in the 3rd in the past I felt much more comfortable taking him.

When Matt Elam became a 1st round prospect, Swearinger became a solid 2nd rounder because imo, Swearinger is just as good if not better on film than Elam.

And what gaping holes are there in his game?

Quote:
And No Thank You to LeVeon Bell, yea he looks like a monster but he plays like a ballerina. He make look impressive against college speed, and even have a year or two early in the NFL, but with that body type you cannont rely on agility & speed, while not using the Power that his size should provide him. Too much about him reminds me of Brandon Jacobs and thats not a compliment.

Bull. I don't know if you have preconceived notions or are going off of someone else's word but this is blatantly untrue. Just did a film review for Bell where I reviewed 4 games from this year because I had to write a scouting report for him. Not only did Bell lead the NCAA in yards after contact but over half his yards(51%) came after contact.

Bell has the exact same running style as Eddie George and Steven Jackson. If not much is there, he lowers his shoulder and bulls over the pile to pick up or 3 or 4 yards. If he gets a crease, he uses his great cuts to make guys silly on the second level or uses a spin move or stiff arms or just flat run overs them.

Anyone who says he doesn't use his power does not know what they're talking about.

Plays like a ballerina? Puhlease.

jrry32

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEE RAWL wrote:
Not a big fan either. I admitted Lane is a much better prospect than i gave him credit for originally but i still think there will be a better value at 22. Plus as lunatic said, back to back OL is unlikely.

I also like DJ but also too early IMO.

Not a fan of Bailey at all despite his TD numbers. As you have said time and time again which i agree with completely... We need a big true outside the numbers #1 WR.

Dont like Bell, hes slow and considering how big he is he plays kind of soft. Reminds me of Brandon Jacobs.

Again, I have no idea where this notion that Bell is soft comes from because it can't be further from the truth. Is SJ soft? Because he has a very similar running style to Bell.

We don't need a big #1 WR. We need WRs who can get open. Bailey, like Givens, can do that. Plus it'll give Quick more time to show us if he's the real deal or not.

Would you turn down prime Steve Smith, Torry Holt or Marvin Harrison on the Rams because they're not a big WR? I realize Stedman Bailey hasn't proven himself like those guys but you wouldn't even give those guys the time of day in this draft if they were prospects with what you're saying.

Getting back to Bell, is this what you call a soft HB?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AoJpSZq1Wk

I don't know why people think that because a HB can make people miss with his quick feet, jump cuts and overall cuts that he doesn't run his size. SJ and Eddie George used to do the same thing.

George had a real slashing style of running. IMO, the difference between the two is that George was faster. He ran a 4.47 whereas Bell will likely run in the 4.55 to 4.62 range.

iRaMs

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it. Personally, I would rather have Eric Fisher but I think he will be gone by the time we draft.

I really like Swearinger, personally never seen the hype Elam has been receiving. I think he is a bit overrated.

When it come to Bailey or Wheaton, I really think Wheaton end up being a 2nd round selection after the combine is said and done. Bailey in the 3rd I can really live with though. ONe of my favorites in this draft.

Love Lonnie Pryor as a FB though.

jrry32

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iRaMs wrote:
I like it. Personally, I would rather have Eric Fisher but I think he will be gone by the time we draft.

I really like Swearinger, personally never seen the hype Elam has been receiving. I think he is a bit overrated.

When it come to Bailey or Wheaton, I really think Wheaton end up being a 2nd round selection after the combine is said and done. Bailey in the 3rd I can really live with though. ONe of my favorites in this draft.

Yea, I had Wheaton as a 2nd rounder or I would have taken him.

I also think Fisher is gone.

Did you hear that Jasper Collins and Keenan Davis were the two most impressive WRs at the E-W Shrine game today?

iRaMs

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
iRaMs wrote:

Yea, I had Wheaton as a 2nd rounder or I would have taken him.

I also think Fisher is gone.

Did you hear that Jasper Collins and Keenan Davis were the two most impressive WRs at the E-W Shrine game today?

No I havent, been at work all day. Do you have a link?

DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He isnt "soft" he should just be more physical IMO, he has shown flashes of great attributes both physicality and surprising athleticism but again not enough. There are quite a few other runningbacks i would rather have in that range, Montee Ball being one of them.

I would absolutely love something like Rex Burkhead later, I know he is coming off an injury but he runs so damn hard, if only Bell ran that hard Wink

And to compare Big Game to Bailey is apples to oranges.

1. Amari Cooper
2. Brandon Scherff
3. Todd Gurley

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: