Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Official 2013 Free Agency Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50, 51  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mke1010

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elwayfan07 wrote:
Quote:
That's $22.7 mil today in total contracts for 4 players. Not bad.

Mike Klis on twitter

Again great value for the signings

That's actually 6 players not 4. Excellent value in today's market considering these signings were at the start of free agency when the most cash is thrown around.
1. Welker
2. Vasquez
3. Vickerson
4. Knighton
5. Bradley
6. Cromartie
Cruzp23

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mke1010 wrote:
elwayfan07 wrote:
Quote:
That's $22.7 mil today in total contracts for 4 players. Not bad.

Mike Klis on twitter

Again great value for the signings

That's actually 6 players not 4. Excellent value in today's market considering these signings were at the start of free agency when the most cash is thrown around.
1. Welker
2. Vasquez
3. Vickerson
4. Knighton
5. Bradley
6. Cromartie

he did say 4 players today

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hibdib31 wrote:
elliot878 wrote:
Broncos signed:
Vasquez (23.5m)
Welker (12m)
DRC (5m)
Knighton (4.5m)
Bradley (1.2m)
Total $ (all years combined) - $46.2m

Total $ given to Andy Levitre - $46.8m

Thats efficiency. Job well done Mr. Elway.

WOW Shocked Applause

This is what I meant with making it rain Ivy League BA student style. The stanford gradute obviously knows how to handle the money side of things. I cannot believe that we actually got our own version of Ozzie Newsome here in Denver about two years ago. The years outside of football in the 'real' world have served the Duke well, similar to the journey Newsome went on, wanting to work his way up from the lowest of FO jobs to the highest one just to gain the necessary experience.

Chasing Lombardi and Stanley!
WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donut wrote:
I doubt Revis happens.

I know you posted this before we signed DRC, but you're right. Revis isn't coming here. As most know I was in favor of trading for him and giving him a long-term deal. We didn't. I think we'd be a better team with Revis and without DRC and #28 but we have the latter two and that's just the way that goes. We're still, without question, one of the favorites for the Super Bowl.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the end I see what both Belichick and Elway did vis-a-vis Welker/Amendola. The Pats got Amendola, the younger player with the better long-term upside, for the same price they offered Welker. The Broncos took the sure-bet in Welker, who will produce at a level commensurate with his contract. Amendola is health risk, Welker less so. Welker should be able to step in seamlessly with an elite QB in a timing offense. Amendola should be able to step in since he knows Mac's offense having played for him in St Louis.

I understand Belichick's calculus here. If I were a Pats fan, I would hate to see a loyal soldier and good player like Welker go but at the same time I would understand the gamble the team is making. And, as a Broncos fan, I'm happy we get a player who should produce at a high level right away. I'm not quite as elated as some fans/media cheerleaders are, but I'm not disappointed we got Welker, especially considering the bargain we got!

Broncos CSU Rams Rockies Tiger Woods
elliot878

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boomer Esiason made a very good point about why the Patriots let Welker go over a $2m difference. Boomer says in the Patriots side they did right by Welker letting him play last year under the franchise tag at $9m and change, much more than he's worth. In the Patriots eyes, they were giving Welker 3 years, $19m, (because they let him play the one year under franchise already - paying more than he was worth). Thats a higher annual average than what the Broncos were offering, technically.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if that situation will read its ugly head with Ryan Clady...

Any news on Dan Koppen? I wanna bring him back as depth.
LW33

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, does anyone have an inkling as to how much cap space exists or could exist for additional depth pieces and maybe a Chris Ivory? Lots of speculation by Alfred Williams yesterday that the Broncs could blow up their RB corps outside of Hillman.
broncos67

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LW33 wrote:
So, does anyone have an inkling as to how much cap space exists or could exist for additional depth pieces and maybe a Chris Ivory? Lots of speculation by Alfred Williams yesterday that the Broncs could blow up their RB corps outside of Hillman.

Chris ivory is gonna cost a second round pick. He's not a free agent unfortunately. I think we end up drafting a RB

Thanks, Tzimisce
Donut

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnAngryAmerican wrote:
Donut wrote:
I doubt Revis happens.

I know you posted this before we signed DRC, but you're right. Revis isn't coming here. As most know I was in favor of trading for him and giving him a long-term deal. We didn't. I think we'd be a better team with Revis and without DRC and #28 but we have the latter two and that's just the way that goes. We're still, without question, one of the favorites for the Super Bowl

one trend I see is a lot of these FA signings are expensive but short term deals. I might be mis remembering adams deal but I think it was 3 yrs and it'll eend when welkers does. Revis is going to need that 6 yr deal. The money to me was always the issue and market is showing cbs aren't getting top dollar for FAs. Elways looking short term filling out the roster and long term when drafting. The amount of money needed to sign draft picks long term should be there when manning comes off the books.

paul-mac wrote:
I wonder if that situation will read its ugly head with Ryan Clady...

Any news on Dan Koppen? I wanna bring him back as depth.

clady will be negotiating after fa is pretty much done. He's watching the OT market and seeing some of these signings he's in a good spot. Koppen no one is really going after an over the hill c w/ some big name guys out there and cb market starting to form.

elliot878 wrote:
Boomer Esiason made a very good point about why the Patriots let Welker go over a $2m difference. Boomer says in the Patriots side they did right by Welker letting him play last year under the franchise tag at $9m and change, much more than he's worth. In the Patriots eyes, they were giving Welker 3 years, $19m, (because they let him play the one year under franchise already - paying more than he was worth). Thats a higher annual average than what the Broncos were offering, technically.

they couldn't get him to sign 2 yrs 16 mill last yr. He thought he was worth a lot/ more. I like welker I honestly was expecting him to get something like 3 yrs 26 mill and thought he wasn't worth it. 2 yrs for 12 is a great deal and if I was belichick would've gave it to him. Its a great deal for elway and its smart move for both teams. Elway seems to have a good financial plan and has short term win now to come off the books for longterm guys extension time. Go for a ring w/ manning and have osweiler prepared w/ his young team.
I saw an espn poll about biggest betrayal welker, youk, and Allen. Majority of country had welker and I don't see it as a betrayal. He went to a place for more money and gave pats opportunities to get him back. I hate baseball so not very familiar w/ youk. Ray Allen I actually saw as a betrayal and don't like him at all anymore. Welker being looked at by people be worse than ray is just unfair to him, since wes didn't betray us.
though amendola was my guy before hand. But he's more Troy Brown than welker and imo could coexist w/ WW. This is probably belichicks most controversial move since picking brady over drew.

broncos67 wrote:
LW33 wrote:

Chris ivory is gonna cost a second round pick. He's not a free agent unfortunately. I think we end up drafting a RB

I wouldn't pick up one until mid to late rounds. I really hate this class and no one up high particularly interests.
hibdib31

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kansas City signs Sean Smith.

Paper matchup:
Demaryius Thomas vs Sean Smith
Eric Decker vs Brandon Flowers
Wes Welker vs Javier Arenas?

Eric Berry and Dunta Robinson at safties?
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hibdib31 wrote:
Kansas City signs Sean Smith.

Paper matchup:
Demaryius Thomas vs Sean Smith
Eric Decker vs Brandon Flowers
Wes Welker vs Javier Arenas?

Eric Berry and Dunta Robinson at safties?

Yeah the Chiefs are stacked. They were last year too but this year they're competently coached.

I wish we would have gone for Sean Smith instead of DRC but oh well.

Broncos CSU Rams Rockies Tiger Woods
BroncosFan2010

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I wish we would have gone for Sean Smith instead of DRC but oh well.

I dont think Sean would have come for a 1 year deal and IMO we were not looking to hand out a long term CB contract. Both players are unfocused at times but DRC has better man cover skills, especially against speedsters. That IMO is what we were looking for in a CB. It might be an overreaction to the Baltimore loss, but its clear we saw a weakness in covering the Mike Wallace, Jacoby Jones, etc of this world. DRC cant tackle, but he can shadow these guys and has good ball skills to break up the long passes.
BroncosFan2010

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Rodgers-Cromartie said one of the things he liked about the Broncos as he visited with team officials on Thursday was that he didn't feel like they were gushing over him. He was wanted, of course, but he said Denver coaches pointed out the ways in which they thought he could improve.

Gotta love that quote. And its a hopeful sign that a guy with the reputation DRC has noticed and relished the above.
Russell2Bailey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRC is a better deep ball defender and just an inch shorter. We don't have any CB who can cover someone over 6 foot and can run. Now we do when he's motivated.
[quote="Reggie Nelson#1"] Radio-"Peyton give the ball to Ball. Ball drops the ball & Ball scoops it up! He's going downfield, TOUCHDOWN! Ball pats him on the back for when he lost the ball."[/quote]
Russell2Bailey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncosFan2010 wrote:
Quote:
Rodgers-Cromartie said one of the things he liked about the Broncos as he visited with team officials on Thursday was that he didn't feel like they were gushing over him. He was wanted, of course, but he said Denver coaches pointed out the ways in which they thought he could improve.

Gotta love that quote. And its a hopeful sign that a guy with the reputation DRC has noticed and relished the above.
I love this.
[quote="Reggie Nelson#1"] Radio-"Peyton give the ball to Ball. Ball drops the ball & Ball scoops it up! He's going downfield, TOUCHDOWN! Ball pats him on the back for when he lost the ball."[/quote]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50, 51  Next
Page 49 of 51

Jump to: