Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Promising Muhammed #1 receiver role

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ta

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: Promising Muhammed #1 receiver role Reply with quote

I read on ChicagoBears.com that Muhammed chose the bears over other suitors because they promised him an unchallenged oppurtunity to be the #1 receiver.

The Bears seemed to be living up to their end of the deal by quickly releasing David Terrell leaving no question who the top receiver is. With a promise like that, do you think there was another deal made that the Bears would not select a receiver 4th overall to challenge his #1 receiver status?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
purdueman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Promising Muhammed #1 receiver role Reply with quote

[quote="ta"]I read on ChicagoBears.com that Muhammed chose the bears over other suitors because they promised him an unchallenged oppurtunity to be the #1 receiver.

The Bears seemed to be living up to their end of the deal by quickly releasing David Terrell leaving no question who the top receiver is. With a promise like that, do you think there was another deal made that the Bears would not select a receiver 4th overall to challenge his #1 receiver status?[/quote]
The Bears have two glaring needs at wide out: 1) a possession receiver; and 2) a deep threat. Muhommad is guaranteed to be the possession receiver, but that leaves the deep threat wide out competition wide open, with Barrion the only guy on the squad right now with the speed to take it.

Even if the Bears do draft a receiver with the #4 overall pick in the draft, it typically takes a receiver 2-3 years to mature and learn the NFL to become an impact, so that's no threat to their promise to Mohammad. That's why I don't see Mike Williams in the picture, however, because he just doesn't have the "burner speed" needed to compete for the field stretcher wide out position.

Edwards, Mathis, Roby or Williamson? Yes. Mike Williams? No.

So if the Bears do decide to draft Mike Williams it still won't be to challenge Mohammad this year or probably next, but it will be to groom him to be Mohammad's replacement down the line.
USNinc

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think he had to look hard at the roster to determine he was the #1 guy.
A franchise won't put down the idea of drafting a guy to a FA they sign. This is a business, and the business must look out for itself in the long run.

Now they probably told him this season was his. Next year he may have to fight it out but probably will remain #1.

He's gonna be 32 in May....you can't guarantee a long term deal to a guy that age.
purdueman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: Age thing overrated on WR's Reply with quote

[quote="USNinc"]I don't think he had to look hard at the roster to determine he was the #1 guy.
A franchise won't put down the idea of drafting a guy to a FA they sign. This is a business, and the business must look out for itself in the long run.

Now they probably told him this season was his. Next year he may have to fight it out but probably will remain #1.

He's gonna be 32 in May....you can't guarantee a long term deal to a guy that age.[/quote]
Marvin Harrison and TO are both older than Mohammad and no one's calling either of them old.

When Jerry Rice turned 32, he was supposed to be coming to the end of a stellar career, yet he's played 10 more seasons since.

A possession receiver, as Mohammad is slated to be, doesn't lose their edge necessarily due to age because they're not counting on their speed or legs to give them that edge. Mohammad is built like a tree trunk so getting hit on passes over the middle shouldn't cause the wear and tear that say a Marty Booker would have to take.

Still, I think that the Bears see Mohammad as being a 3 year solution and anything more than that that they can get out of him is just "gravy".

Would I like to see us draft another wide out? You bet! But not if it means having to pass on RB Brown of Auburn. I'd like us to draft a burner like Mathis, Roby or (preferably), Williamson, but Williamson won't be there when the Bears draft in the second round in all likelihood.

Solution? Draft Brown if he's still on the board at #4 (keep in mind that the 49'ers are said to be leaning towards taking Braylon Edwards and the Dolphins towards trading out of the #2 spot; Chuckie it is said would kill to move up ahead of the Bears to grab Brown and a #5 plus another pick would have to look awfully good to Miami since they'd likely draft Cedric Benson if they kept the pick and Benson likely would still be there at #5 because the Bears view him as a "bad fit" to complement Thomas Jones),
otherwise trade down.

If I were the Bears what would I take for the #4 overall pick? A mid round #1 pick and a #2 pick this year or in 2006 when the draft is projected to be much deeper. GM's have worked out a formula though that calculates the value of each pick, so if someone wants to move up to trade with the Bears, it shouldn't be hard to work something out.
Superfreak842

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the bears draft whoevers available whether it be Benson or Ronnie Brown theyll have a pretty nice O, and the NFC North could be wide open however i think that with the vikings trading away Randy they got better. Addition by subtraction.
purdueman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Superfreak842"]If the bears draft whoevers available whether it be Benson or Ronnie Brown theyll have a pretty nice O, and the NFC North could be wide open however i think that with the vikings trading away Randy they got better. Addition by subtraction.[/quote]
I don't think that the Bears will draft Benson because he's just a little bit better prospect than the A-Trolly (i.e., a big lumbering back). Turner wants backs who can catch the ball too (as Brown can).

As for Randy Moss? I agree with you just as was the case with the Bears releasing hot dog big mouth David Terrell... addition by subtraction. But it helps the Bears too because now they don't have to worry about covering the guy anymore (when he "feels like playing", that is).
bringbackditka

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This #1 Receiver guarantee reminds me of when Kordell signed under the promise that the Bears would not draft a 1st rd QB. Wha-la! Moose is automatically the #1, #4 WR or not.

Don't worry about his age. I smell a release in year 5.
SlidellSaint

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well come on dur who would Mushin lose his #1 job to?

Gage?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

come on fellas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: