Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Joe Robbie Sta...uh Pro-Player sta...I mean Sun Life Stadium
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maddogg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is another link :

http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/article-1/Stephen-Ross-Announces-Plan-To-Modernize-Sun-Life-Stadium-Commits-To-Pay-Majority-Of-Cost/4e3a72ae-0ffc-43df-bb9b-b93a404d1b65

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never liked the new stadium. When Miami left the Orange Bowl they gave away any home field advantage they ever had. I understand the Orange Bowl was dated and needed to be replaced, but just not with the big generic, sterile lack of character open pit they play in now.
This is the second worse stadium in football with the LA collosseum that the Raiders played in being #1.
Miami needs a new stadium that is built high and tight to get the home fans back in the game.
ZenZuki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that at least Ross is dedicated to making changes in regards to personnel and to the stadium to bring back the fans (although a winning product alone would do that)! I'll reserve judgment overall on him until after they release the "NEW" look logo and uni's! That could change everything I think about him!

As of right now.... His hearts in the right place and it seems he truly wants to see this organization regain it's past glory while drawing fans back from other things they're filling their time with at the moment. The fact that he's taking the brunt of the costs on himself, speaks volumes in regards to his committment to this team and where he wants it to be.

As far as whatever tax increase will come to cover the remainder... Alot of that burden will fall onto the tourists (people do actually visit South Florida for other reasons then football). And as far as the recoup, there will be more events then 8 home games that benefit the local base. Bringing the stadium upto date will all but guarantee more Superbowls. Then there's Bowl games, Soccer games, and major concert and entertainment events. Plenty of opportunities to help the local businesses as well as the locals through employment options.

Onto the stadium..... The best thing I read is that they're "re-configuring" the stadium back to it's original format that was changed to accomodate the baseball field orientation!!! Finally it will be reverted back to football only (soccer also) orientation, bring fans closer to the field and the players (opposing players especially)... This more than anything else will help Miami regain some semblance of home field advantage by allowing us to get louder and be more in the face of the opponents!

Shading the fans while leaving the area over our grass field is also a very nice decision. I don't think anyone would think that keeping the fans a little more comfortable while keeping the sun/heat over the play surface is a bad idea. Now once this is done, Ross better NEVER jockey us out of a ONE O'Clock game at home in Aug/Sep again!!!

Overall... These are the things I like to see him doing. He's obviously a good businessman as he's a billionaire, so I think he knows what he's doing. As long as he doesn't dip his toes to far into the football operations pool, I have no problems with decisions like this! Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see it now...

Stephen Ross Field at Sun Life Stadium. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the Stadium.....I love the concept. I've been to about a dozen Dolphin games in Miami (a few other in Tampa) and one of the biggest issues I had was the sun. I'm a Florida native fish on a regular basis and spend a lot of time out doors, but watching a game in that Stadium in 90+ degree weather with the sun beating down on your face is a miserable experience that no amount of beer can help you get through. I really hope they find a way to get this done, I worry about the public funds...I much as I defend Ross, he's still shrewd businessman....he is older and a real estate billionaire....he could be getting the people to Miami to foot part of the bill on improving the value of his investment that he will sell in a few years.

Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

green4gulf wrote:
Blagasse67 wrote:
green4gulf wrote:
I love the way the Upgrades look and I have No Doubt they would improve the Stadium.....However I can't agree with EVER having tax dollars go towards an NFL Stadium......it just flat out disgusts me. It's just ridiculous in this day and age that a tax increase is even an option to improve an Entertainment Venue.

At least that money goes back to the community. Just saying I'll leave it at that due to sight rules

I can't agree that any money goes back to the community. Perhaps money goes back to Hotels and Restaraunts for an 8 measly home games a year, but I don't buy into that upgrading Stadiums helps Community / Area Economy......I do buy into the Politicians giving favors to interest groups, like wealthy and powerful NFL Owners.....simple quid pro quo IMO.

Thank you for speaking some sense.

The difference this upgrade will have on the economy in south Florida is not worth 200M in tax dollars. Find some way other than using the money that should be going to making the world a better place. I'd love an upgraded stadium as much as the next guy, but we all know that whatever upgrade there is will be outdated in within ten years and they'll be asking for more money. If you can't find a way to afford the upgrade by charging only those who benefit from it (those who attend games, nearby businesses, the team itself, etc.), then don't upgrade the stadium. That is not what tax money is meant for.
green4gulf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCool333 wrote:
green4gulf wrote:
Blagasse67 wrote:
green4gulf wrote:
I love the way the Upgrades look and I have No Doubt they would improve the Stadium.....However I can't agree with EVER having tax dollars go towards an NFL Stadium......it just flat out disgusts me. It's just ridiculous in this day and age that a tax increase is even an option to improve an Entertainment Venue.

At least that money goes back to the community. Just saying I'll leave it at that due to sight rules

I can't agree that any money goes back to the community. Perhaps money goes back to Hotels and Restaraunts for an 8 measly home games a year, but I don't buy into that upgrading Stadiums helps Community / Area Economy......I do buy into the Politicians giving favors to interest groups, like wealthy and powerful NFL Owners.....simple quid pro quo IMO.

The difference this upgrade will have on the economy in south Florida is not worth 200M in tax dollars. Find some way other than using the money that should be going to making the world a better place. I'd love an upgraded stadium as much as the next guy, but we all know that whatever upgrade there is will be outdated in within ten years and they'll be asking for more money. If you can't find a way to afford the upgrade by charging only those who benefit from it (those who attend games, nearby businesses, the team itself, etc.), then don't upgrade the stadium. That is not what tax money is meant for.

Agreed. Also I have to mention that it's equally disgusting that when games don't sell out the people that paid the tax increase for the Upgrades get to be "Blacked Out" and can't even watch the game on TV. How's that for a Slap in the Face?
WaterBear56

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how anyone can complain about advancing our stadium.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WaterBear56 wrote:
I don't know how anyone can complain about advancing our stadium.

+1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They need to rename it Landshark Stadium. Such a boss name.

Xbox Live GT: With The Tide
dolphin1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green4gulf is absolutely right! Anyone who lives down here will agree with him as well. I'm all for upgrades to the stadium and those plans look great...but I'm only for it as long as the money comes from somewhere else. Don't forget the situation with the Marlins new stadium over the past few years and the money issues surrounding that. The citizens of south florida can't afford to bill for another stadium, even if it's only upgrades instead of building one from scratch. Yes to upgrades, No to taxpayers funding anything for it!

check out my blog: everysport.sportsblog.com
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see anything wrong with this whatsoever... Sun Life Stadium badly needs renovations, I'm glad he's addressing it.

Nacho Simulation Football League
Mercury22

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally appreciate the desire to upgrade the stadium. I also appreciate locals in the area objecting to socialized costs for privatized profits. It seems to me Ross would need to give some pretty clear projections as to how this would/will benefit the people of south Florida in dollars and sense/cents. Joe Robbie, if I recall correctly, totally funded the construction of the stadium with private funding. Not asking for a nickel of tax payer monies. I have mad respect for him for that.
Jaytotha

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green4gulf wrote:
JCool333 wrote:
green4gulf wrote:
Blagasse67 wrote:
green4gulf wrote:

Agreed. Also I have to mention that it's equally disgusting that when games don't sell out the people that paid the tax increase for the Upgrades get to be "Blacked Out" and can't even watch the game on TV. How's that for a Slap in the Face?

Equally back though to Ross. He has ate up tickets for a ton of games so that people can watch at home. Hes also looking at paying the majority. I don't live in Miami so I can just speak from what has happened here in my local city. The canopy would help keep people cool from the sun during games. I think that the payoff would be worth it over time. If Ross doesn't get much love from Miami do you see him keeping the team there?

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaytotha wrote:
green4gulf wrote:
JCool333 wrote:
green4gulf wrote:
Blagasse67 wrote:
green4gulf wrote:

Equally back though to Ross. He has ate up tickets for a ton of games so that people can watch at home. Hes also looking at paying the majority. I don't live in Miami so I can just speak from what has happened here in my local city. The canopy would help keep people cool from the sun during games. I think that the payoff would be worth it over time. If Ross doesn't get much love from Miami do you see him keeping the team there?

No way the Dolphins leave Miami anytime in the forseeable future. None. The stadium is actually pretty decent by NFL standards. What Ross wants is to attract the Superbowl. Big money in that and lots of lime light which he clearly loves.

While I am all for improving the stadium, I just wish the sole focus, right now, was on improving the product ON the field. Until that happens, Ross will have trouble giving those seats away.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: