Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Not A Niners Fan But?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ImissEricGreen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Not A Niners Fan But? Reply with quote

Has there been any NFL coach to turn around a franchise so quick like Harbaugh?
Ataal

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to think of any other new coach coming in and bringing the team to two NFCCG's back-to-back in his first two years.....without an elite quarterback.

Anyone?

Even if it has been done before, it's pretty dang impressive.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, what Ken Whisenhunt did early on in Arizona was somewhat impressive. And what Pagano/Arians did this year with the Colts was great. And John Fox in Denver took a team that was dysfunctional and took them to the playoffs twice. I think the best turnaround would probably be what Sean Payton did with the Saints. That team was going nowhere. Payton arrives, they get Brees, they draft a no-name WR late in the draft that turns out to be Marques Colston, and they never look back. Payton and the Saints organization even reached elite status when they borrowed from the Belichik playbook and started cheating.

Now, Harbaugh isn't quite there yet, as there is no evidence of cheating yet. But if he wins the superbowl in his second year, with a young QB, I think Jim will take over the title of best turnaround of all time. If we don't win a superbowl this year, it will only a matter of time (and results) before he takes the crown.

Of course, this is ignoring all that happened in the history of football before I became aware of it. So, we can probably replace "all-time" by last 17-18 years.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
ImissEricGreen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ataal wrote:
I'm trying to think of any other new coach coming in and bringing the team to two NFCCG's back-to-back in his first two years.....without an elite quarterback.

Anyone?

I like the "without an elite quarterback" Like I said, I hate the niners"its a sibling rival" but I cant stand to here people say crap like "thats still Singletarys team" What do you guys say?
steadypimpin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ImissEricGreen wrote:
Ataal wrote:

Anyone?

I like the "without an elite quarterback" Like I said, I hate the niners"its a sibling rival" but I cant stand to here people say crap like "thats still Singletarys team" What do you guys say?
I heard on the radio the other night they were talking about Mike Nolan coaching the Eagles and the guy on the radio said Nolan laid the pieces for the Niner defense that is in place now. I was like WTF??? I think there are only a couple guys on defense that Nolan got for us.

Singletary did help us though, he sucked but he laid down the foundation for winning, he gave the guys a good mentoring.

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"
NinerNation21

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ataal wrote:

Anyone?

Rex Ryan and the Jets. The current 49ers are almost a carbon copy of those two jets teams the first two years of Sanchez. Both went to the Championship game back to back years. Built on solid D and ground and pound running game. Complimentary passing game. There are obvious differences but essentially a similar team. Biggest difference is (i hope) that Ryan lost his team quickly and created a lack of discipline locker room. I think Harbaugh is a better coach than Ryan but these two teams started out very similar.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ImissEricGreen wrote:
Ataal wrote:

Anyone?

Felt like I had to throw that in there. If you take over a team that has a Manning or Brady, it just doesn't feel as impressive. We were a sub 500 team for nearly a decade(think there was one 8-8 season mixed in) and no one thought that Alex Smith could take us into the playoffs, let alone win a playoff game in a shootout. This year, we switched quarterbacks out of the blue semi-late in the season and here we are again in the NFCCG.

I guess it's been done before and maybe I'm just biased, but I find it extremely impressive. Last year, I was just happy to be in the playoffs. This year, I want to win it all!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ImissEricGreen wrote:
Ataal wrote:

Anyone?

It was never Singletary's team. Singletary had these guys wound so tight, they were scared to make a mistake instead of playing with confidence. Singletary didn't make ONE personnel decision as a coach except beat the drum for Baalke to draft Taylor Mays. If anything, its Nolan team. He turn this franchise around and instilled a culture of accountability, doing things the right way and made the Niners formidable again. One of the reasons Justin Smith gave for signing with us as a free agent way back when was because he "liked what Nolan was building here". I always said Nolan would make a hell of a GM if he ever left coaching. He doesnt get enough credit but he was instrumental in the brass hiring Baalke and Gamble into their early roles into the organization. He could always spot talent. Most of our core talent came from Nolan-run drafts. Willis, Gore, VD, Staley, Goldson, Walker, McDonald, Brown. All Nolan draft picks and all key contributors to this team. Not to mention the key free agents he lured here like Cowboy and Brooks over the years. He was lacking as a head coach. Didn't have a clue about the offesnive side of the ball and how to maximize talent. But I think like Belichick, once he gets another oopportunity to be a HC, he'll get it right. But he should get his just due for the success of this organization and where it stands now.
SoCalNiner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NinerNation21 wrote:
Ataal wrote:

Anyone?

Rex Ryan and the Jets. The current 49ers are almost a carbon copy of those two jets teams the first two years of Sanchez. Both went to the Championship game back to back years. Built on solid D and ground and pound running game. Complimentary passing game. There are obvious differences but essentially a similar team. Biggest difference is (i hope) that Ryan lost his team quickly and created a lack of discipline locker room. I think Harbaugh is a better coach than Ryan but these two teams started out very similar.

We locked the 2 seed back to back as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ataal wrote:

Anyone?

Rex Ryan... AFC, but still, that was the tougher conference until recently... Seifert did it too, but he had the GOAT...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NinerNation21 wrote:
Ataal wrote:

Anyone?

Our QB play is so much better than what Sanchez was doing those first two years. We can win games throwing the ball if we need to, now obviously we want to shoot for a balanced attack, but Sanchez has not shown through his entire career that he can do what Kaep can do when he's forced to push the ball down the field. Heck Alex Smith is twice the QB that Sanchez is IMO. I think our team is far superior to those jets teams. Our defense is better than what they had and our QB play blows theirs out of the water. I also believe we are setup to be an elite team for awhile. We have pretty much every key player on defense locked up (excluding Goldson) for awhile, we have depth at the RB position, and Crabtree has developed into that bonafied #1 receiver we've been lacking for the last decade.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."-Benjamin Franklin
Heavinsent

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NinerNation21 wrote:
Ataal wrote:

Anyone?

No, the biggest different is that you have Kaepernick, who is a million times better than Sanchez. I feel like I'm insulting Kaepernick by even putting him in the same sentence as Sanchez.

Props to Jamison for the sig.
Saintelistan86

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steadypimpin wrote:
I heard on the radio the other night they were talking about Mike Nolan coaching the Eagles and the guy on the radio said Nolan laid the pieces for the Niner defense that is in place now. I was like WTF??? I think there are only a couple guys on defense that Nolan got for us.

Justin Smith.
EverythingSF

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saintelistan86 wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:

Justin Smith.

I still appreciate what Mike Nolan did for this team and I completely agree with that guy on the radio. Nolan was not seasoned, or dare I say man enough to be a head coach just yet. I think what happened to him in SF was a "you live and you learn" type of experience for him and that he could make a great HC as long as he has learned how to manage a game and the clock as well as keep his players in check and earn their trust. What went on with him and Alex was a complete joke from what I remember.

^Thanks to NS922

EverythingSF wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:

Alex's Mom?

Alex's High School Backup? Wink
niner4ever

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't ever say Carbon copy of those jets. They had a pretty good team before Ryan. They backed into the playoffs both times and were out matched in every way. The 49ers are better faster stronger. And Rex Ryan isn't in Harbaugh's league.

Oh Alex Smith, Frank Gore, Vernon Davis, Delanie Walker, Parys Haralson, Patrick Willis, Joe Staley, Ray McDonald, Dashon Goldson, Tarell Brown, and Justin Smith all brought in under Mike Nolan, Issacc Sopoaga and Andy Lee were brought in the year before. Nolan had great deal with this team by bringing them in. The bad thing was most of them were backups and didn't see the field until Singletary.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: