Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Marvins' 10th birthday - verdict ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:16 am    Post subject: Marvins' 10th birthday - verdict ? Reply with quote

Today is the tenth anniversary of Marvin Lewis becoming Bengals HC.

Has he succeeded when judged against a backdrop of the pitiful 1993-2003 decade ?

2 AFC North Championships, 0-4 in play-off games, 79-80-1 regular season record, 2009 Coach of the Year. Second longest serving HC in the NFL now, and longest serving bengal HC ever.

He seems to me to have toughened us up, to the point where were real competitive in our brutal division. Teams no longer look at us on their schedule and mark it up as a 'W'.

Has he been good for us or not ?
theJ

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the most part, i've been entertained. So, i guess that's a win.

Do i think he ever wins a superbowl with the Bengals? Probably not, but i've been wrong before.

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
Anonymous3

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J hit it on the head. Has he been good for us - yeah. Will we ever win a superbowl with him? No

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say it is a failure honestly. Anytime you go a decade without winning as much as a single playoff game, it is a failure. Is it less of a failure than the decade before that? I suppose so, but a failure nonetheless.
INbengalfan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carson4MVP wrote:
I would say it is a failure honestly. Anytime you go a decade without winning as much as a single playoff game, it is a failure. Is it less of a failure than the decade before that? I suppose so, but a failure nonetheless.

Man, you are on a roll. Now Marvin is a failure? Have we all forgotten where we were before he got here?

I know he can't mangae a clock or timeouts or know when to ice a kicker, but the fact that we are 0-4 in playoff games means we made it four times. That hadn't happened since Paul Brown passed or the imfamous west coast trip that ended up gutting the team in Seattle.

He gets a B from me. When we win in the postseason, it goes to an A-, then A+ when we win a super bowl.
Carson4MVP

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I didn't forget what we came from. I admitted this last 10 years was better than the previous decade. But, I cannot say it has been a successful decade if we haven't advanced in the playoffs. I guess failure is a bit much, so I will say C- D+ range. I am not happy with a 9-10 win season and an early exit from the playoffs. I have said that before. If people are happy with that, that's fine. But I want more and I can be honest about my team.
THE DUKE

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C+

He gets a lot of credit for bringing this franchise back to relevance, but the goal is to win the super bowl and he has yet to win a playoff game.

-There are no men like me, only me.
-"Our life is what our thoughts make it" - Marcus Aurelius
INbengalfan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree that he needs to advance further in the playoffs in the future. I am not just happy to get there. I just can't call bringing Mike Brown out of the dark ages and into the 21st century a failure.

But you are right. It's time to step it up more and not be Jerry Glanville2.0 (and if you don't get that reference, you are young)
ark23

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

INbengalfan wrote:
Carson4MVP wrote:

Man, you are on a roll. Now Marvin is a failure? Have we all forgotten where we were before he got here?

I know he can't mangae a clock or timeouts or know when to ice a kicker, but the fact that we are 0-4 in playoff games means we made it four times. That hadn't happened since Paul Brown passed or the imfamous west coast trip that ended up gutting the team in Seattle.

He gets a B from me. When we win in the postseason, it goes to an A-, then A+ when we win a super bowl.

No question we were in horrible shape. But the NFL is a league of parity, and it's a league where one can pull themselves out of the cellar quickly. I can't think that any other coach in the modern day NFL would go ten years without winning a single playoff game and still have a job.

To become elite we can't give excuses and the franchise can't be pleased with just making the playoffs. As much as I'm in agreement with what this franchise came from and where they were we need to take the next step. I don't have confidence in Marvin to do that. He hasn't in ten years after all.
wrminning

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd give him a "B" grade, he's much better then what came before him. Is he the best coach in the League, no, top 5, again no, but he is the top coach that we could get as long as Mike Brown is the Owner, and that folks is the Bottom Line!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE DUKE wrote:
C+

He gets a lot of credit for bringing this franchise back to relevance, but the goal is to win the super bowl and he has yet to win a playoff game.

this...

Marvin changed the culture and it looks like they will be in the hunt over the next few years. No playoff wins in ten years can't be considered a total success though...

Not great, but he's no Dave Shula....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give him an A+ if he steps down and let's Zim take over

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: