Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Cap discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the release of Cassel, signing of Smith, and deets on Daniel's deal, I think it's time for an update.

I've been trying to keep a running total in my head, and best I can tell, we are now extremely close to at the limit. Meaning we need to clear about $9MM for draft picks.

^ryknowssd on the sig
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought someone when discussing this either in this post or another stated that because we don't have our second round pick we can drop it about 2 mil.

Either way, I don't think of FO work is done. They have some shifting to do that is for sure. I think the two obvious whales are Tamba and Brandon.
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't Cassel's contract basically free and clear of any dead money? I didn't think he had any signing bonus but had sizable roster bonuses, etc.? Spotrac.com has almost $4 million in dead money associated with Cassel.

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC_Guy wrote:
Cassel when (not if) cut counts 4 M$ against the cap - thus a saving of may be 4.5 M$ or something like that. Total dead money (incl. Cassel) approx. 10 M$ right now - you have to ADD that to the active player cap.

Nic, see above for Cassel dead money hit this year. $10MM in total, so that pretty much wipes out our carry over IIRC.

^ryknowssd on the sig
KC_Guy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My spreadsheet is in the database - however, quite a bit of data missing for the new contracts (overall numbers don't help much, I need the split).Don't think there's much left - otherwise the Chiefs had kept Cassel to squeeze a 7th rounder out of the Vikes.

What's missing:
All of the Avery & Smith contracts plus the 2013 base/bonus numbers on Fasano/DeVito (their signing bonus is in).
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC_Guy wrote:
My spreadsheet is in the database - however, quite a bit of data missing for the new contracts (overall numbers don't help much, I need the split).Don't think there's much left - otherwise the Chiefs had kept Cassel to squeeze a 7th rounder out of the Vikes.

What's missing:
All of the Avery & Smith contracts plus the 2013 base/bonus numbers on Fasano/DeVito (their signing bonus is in).

The only thing I could find was a tweet that provided some more info than just the basic years/total/guaranteed :

Quote:
Mike DeVito signs a three-yr, $12.6M deal with KC. ($4.2M signing bonus, $850k '13 base salary fully GTD, 1M of '14 base injury guaranteed).

http://arrowheadaddict.com/2013/03/12/kansas-city-chiefs-sign-mike-devito/?utm_source=FanSided&utm_medium=Network&utm_campaign=Around

KCWolf1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@cdotharrison wrote:
The Chiefs currently are 15.575 mil dollars under the cap. That figure does not include the $9,828,000 for Branden Albert's franchise tag

This was right before the Sean Smith signing.

Location: ^^Tamba waiting on his next feast in the Avy Ryk on the sig
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KCWolf1 wrote:
@cdotharrison wrote:
The Chiefs currently are 15.575 mil dollars under the cap. That figure does not include the $9,828,000 for Branden Albert's franchise tag

This was right before the Sean Smith signing.

post matt cassel release and including Alex Smith?

les paul wrote:
There's only one thing that determines a teams performance on any given sunday
Their opponent-
KC_Guy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently have the Chiefs at 12 M$ under with the Albert, Smith, and Cassel deals covered

What's still missing (my 2013 cap estimate in brackets):

Signing Bonus:

Donnie Avery (1 M$)
Sean Smith (3 M$)

Base Pay & Bonuses:

Anthony Fasano (1.5 M$)
Donnie Avery (0.75 M$)
Sean Smith (2 M$)

That leaves them with 4 M$ in cap -which is insufficient to sign their draft picks! So expect some more wheeling and dealing.

I'll have a closer look at the 2014 cap once I got the missing numbers. My gut feeling tells me that the Chiefs will have some major issues then as most of the new signings received extremely 2013-friendly contracts.
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has Clayton talked about this at all, had anyone seen?
KC_Guy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Smith numbers are in - again extremely backloaded, less than 3 M$ in cap 2013. Now they'll have to fight for survival in 2014 before the big spike hits in 2015.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/sean-smith/
PhillyChief

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC_Guy wrote:
The Smith numbers are in - again extremely backloaded, less than 3 M$ in cap 2013. Now they'll have to fight for survival in 2014 before the big spike hits in 2015.

Can you explain why they have Dorsey costing 2.7M in dead money?
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like spotrac has some updates on the Tyson Jackson contract. Atleast from what they have it doesn't look like the deal was as cap friendly as we thought.

According to their information, he counts $7,200,000 against the cap in 2013.

$6.5M guaranteed ($4M 2013 base, $2.5M Bonus)
2013 Workout Bonus: $500,000
2013 salary reduced from $14.72M

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/tyson-jackson/

nicfre2011

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We seem to be getting really close to the edge as far as cap space goes considering we still have quite a few holes (mainly depth at this point outside of ILB and RT) and of course the draft allocation.

I just wish we would have spent a little more wisely and we could have had some more room to add a couple of second-tier pieces. Jackson at $7,200,000 definitely still seems rich. Unless I am missing something, 2014 looks like it is going to be real interesting as far as our cap situation goes.

nicfre2011

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhillyChief wrote:
KC_Guy wrote:

Can you explain why they have Dorsey costing 2.7M in dead money?

Yeah, something is screwy. I still don't get how Cassel has any dead money unless he had some 2013 guaranteed money. I was under the assumption his base salary wasn't guaranteed and any bonuses were roster bonuses that would not be paid if he were not on the roster. And I also don't get how Tyson Jackson could have dead money considering they restructured and I would assume they converted money into a roster bonus that is guarantee along with his base salary.

Something just doesn't seem right as far as the dead money goes. I mean, when we cut a player and have a cap savings, that should be deducted from the total cap value, right? So I don't get what the dead money is all about. You either have a negative hit against the cap (if the non-guaranteed money is out-weighed by the guaranteed money or escalated signing bonus) or you have a gain in salary cap room (obviously if the non-guaranteed money is greater than any remaining guaranteed portions).

So it seems to me, if a player has a 2013 base salary of $1,000,000 and an escalated signing bonus of $500,000 (let's say no future money is guaranteed and the signing bonus is $250,000 in 2013 and 2014), then it seems to me there would be an overall cap savings or credit of $500,000. I guess if you want to track the dead money that would be $500,000, but that seems inconsequential when you have a cap credit from the transaction.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: