Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Cap discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am assuming re-signing Albert, Bowe, and Colquitt along with Jackson being extended (assumption around $6 million in 2013) we really wouldn't have much left to dabble in FA (ex. Randy Starks, etc.).

Yeah, I'm hoping Bowe/Albert pulls a Brady and says, here, I'll sign for less since you got a QB, now help the team.

This fact of how active we can be, is the biggest reason I could see us letting Albert walk and drafting a LT. Short of drafting Milliner, I don't know that any CB in the 3rd would give us the same level of play as some of the FA.

However Nic, if we keep Albert we could draft a DE, which would make Starks less of a need since we'd extended Jackson too.
axel39leavell

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
bigschmadt00 wrote:
KC_Guy wrote:
Quote:
The NFL has set the 2013 salary cap at $123.9 million, up from $120.6 million in 2012.
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport initially reported the cap would be $123 million flat, but ESPN's Chris Mortensen says after accounting for league revenues, it gets a $900,000 bump. It's not a major spike, but it gives teams a little more breathing room than we were expecting. It could be the difference in keeping a veteran or signing a free agent.

So far all calculations were based on a 121 M$ cap, so that's an increaseby 2.9 M$. With that I think the Chiefs MIGHT be able to retain Albert, Bowe, and Colquitt if they somehow get Jackson down to 6 M$ annually.

There was a report during the combine that we were talking with Tyson about a new deal. Hopefully that materializes into something workable, like 5yr $30MM, with only like $18MM guaranteed over the first 3 years.

I am assuming re-signing Albert, Bowe, and Colquitt along with Jackson being extended (assumption around $6 million in 2013) we really wouldn't have much left to dabble in FA (ex. Randy Starks, etc.).

But if we cut Cassel and Dorsey, we'll get some extra change to spend, right?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Dorsey

He's a free agent, we won't gain anything. As far as Cassel, I think KC said we'd add something like 2.5 million or 3.5. But remember we're picking up a 9M contract with Smith, so it is somewhat negated even after the probable restructure.
axel39leavell

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DT58_lives_on wrote:
Quote:
Dorsey

He's a free agent, we won't gain anything. As far as Cassel, I think KC said we'd add something like 2.5 million or 3.5. But remember we're picking up a 9M contract with Smith, so it is somewhat negated even after the probable restructure.

Oh yeah duh. I totally forgot Dorsey was a free agent. Hmm.
Maybe Tamba and Berry are willing to restructure theirs?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamba/Berry/DJ/JC. We might be able to squeak a little money out there for the good of the team.
bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

axel39leavell wrote:
nicfre2011 wrote:
bigschmadt00 wrote:
KC_Guy wrote:
Quote:
The NFL has set the 2013 salary cap at $123.9 million, up from $120.6 million in 2012.
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport initially reported the cap would be $123 million flat, but ESPN's Chris Mortensen says after accounting for league revenues, it gets a $900,000 bump. It's not a major spike, but it gives teams a little more breathing room than we were expecting. It could be the difference in keeping a veteran or signing a free agent.

So far all calculations were based on a 121 M$ cap, so that's an increaseby 2.9 M$. With that I think the Chiefs MIGHT be able to retain Albert, Bowe, and Colquitt if they somehow get Jackson down to 6 M$ annually.

There was a report during the combine that we were talking with Tyson about a new deal. Hopefully that materializes into something workable, like 5yr $30MM, with only like $18MM guaranteed over the first 3 years.

But if we cut Cassel and Dorsey, we'll get some extra change to spend, right?

Dorsey is a UFA, so nothing for him was figured in, and this is based upon cutting Cassel.

The extra $3MM from the higher cap, and maybe another $2MM on a back-loaded deal for Tyson could allow us to re-sign Albert, and maybe keep another $2MM to roll over.

KC_Guy, as far as the roll over amount, is that number based upon the final year end total amount spent? If so, then we could possibly work on new deals for Berry and maybe 1-2 others to push a bit of money out, simply for the purposes of getting more roll over. I realize we have to be under the cap way before that.

^ryknowssd on the sig
bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DT58_lives_on wrote:
Tamba/Berry/DJ/JC. We might be able to squeak a little money out there for the good of the team.

Tamba is certainly the whale of that group, with Berry next.

I didn't think we'd be able to do much with Tamba, considering it's such a new deal, but others that were just signed last year have already been restructured on other teams, so who knows.

^ryknowssd on the sig
KC_Guy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tweaked my little spreadsheet a lil' bit.

With Smith on board and Cassel released the Chiefs are approx. 11 M$ under the cap (for 53 players - the 51 player limit in pre-season is a technical number without relevance for longer term cap considerations).
In addition to smith this number takes into account the draft picks and all pre-season pay that counts against the cap.

Neither Bowe, Albert, Colquitt, Gafford, or any other own free agent is included (and, for example, any low RFA tender causes a 1 M$ hit against the cap).

TJax counts approx 17.5 M$ against the cap - he won't see anything close to that number. So that will provide some relief.

But here's the big issue: The 11 M$ under the cap derive from the 2012 roll-over of 14 M$. Against the 2013 cap as such the Chiefs already are 3 M$ OVER.

A brief 2014 outlook:

Berry, Charles, and other players will have a slightly bigger cap hit next year, while Hali, Flowers, and Winston go down (Hali by 6 M$!!). Furthermore, the dead money the Chiefs take this year (3 M$ for Breaston, 3.95 M$ for Cassel) won't be a factor anymore.
So I'm fine if the Chiefs only retain a limited amount to roll over into 2014.

In 2015 the new TV contracts kick in which will provide a significant rise in cap. However, the agents know that as well, so expect some bigger contracts to be structured a way that the players signing this year take full advantage of that spike.

Nevertheless, all said and done: If the Chiefs re-sign both Albert and Bowe (plus Colquitt and some of the other guys) they won't have enough room to be big players in FA. Whatever room they had was used to replace Cassel by Smith.

You may like it or not: From a cap standpoint it makes a lot of sense to replace either Bowe or Albert with a draft pick.
OILCHIEFS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I understand how every decision needs to be made with all things considered, especially the cap but if your trying to improve as a football team, you shouldn't let the cap dictate how to build the team. Now I can't say I have the solution but I'm sure there are ways to make it work.

Could they not sign long term contracts that have smaller cap hits for the next couple years but then get larger with the projected raise in cap for the TV contracts? Is that even plausible?

Thanks again for all the insight and hardwork with the cap. It's nice to be more informed about the business side of football.
Rearviewmirror

Location: ^^Tamba waiting on his next feast in the Avy Ryk on the sig
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best thing Glenn Dorsey can do for us is go sign somewhere else and finally realize his potential in a different defense to net us some kind of comp pick.

les paul wrote:
There's only one thing that determines a teams performance on any given sunday
Their opponent-
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Berry is worth restructuring but I wouldn't want to push any of Hali's money into the future. Zeroing Jackson out while replacing him with a Canty/Jenkins type would really help boost our flexibility.

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
KC_Guy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Restructuring is a way to save cap now by selling the future. Nevertheless, it's done frequently and usually is compensated when a team enters rebuild mode with a lot of young, relatively cheap players and no big names on the roster. However, it can be done differently if the cap is managed properly -NE probably is a prime example (the recent Brady deal left aside).

If the Chiefs extend/restructure this year they'll face serious issues in 2014. After 2014 things should be much easier. So, if they can make it this year without restructuring I'd prefer that.

The sole exception is TJax, but that's not a restructuring, that's a straight pay cut or a completely new contract. And it's not about cap, it's primarily about real cash.
samsel23

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DT58_lives_on wrote:

DJ/JC have 2 of the most generous contracts in the NFL. I'd almost feel offended if they took more of a pay cut Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

samsel23 wrote:
DT58_lives_on wrote:

DJ/JC have 2 of the most generous contracts in the NFL. I'd almost feel offended if they took more of a pay cut Laughing

That was about restructuring - pay the better part of the base pay into a bonus which would be prorated over a few years. No loss for the players, just an administrative thing. Actually the players get the additional interest on an advance payment. Brandon Carr did it year two into his contract.
KC_Guy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok ... next update with Bowe, Albert and Colquitt on board. Need to make a couple of assumptions:

- Cassel & Jackson are released
- Colquitt counts 3.5 M$ against the cap in 2013

The Chiefs have about 138 M$ in cap.

Players under contract: 110 M$
Offseason pay: 0.6 M$
Draft Pick Green Shoe: 4.7 M$
Dead Money: 12 M$

Total: 127.5 M$

That leaves the Chiefs with approx. 10 M$ until training camp.
For training camp they'll need another 4.7 M$, the Practice Squad counts about 1 M$, and the expansion fron 51 to 53 players against the cap counts another 1 M$.

Bottom line: unless the Chiefs find another way to free some cap they have about 3 M$ (plus 500k per signed player) to spend in order to re-sign their own free agents and sign other guys.
Considering the money they spend on Bowe, Albert, and Colquitt I'm pretty sure they consider shifting some money to the right. Hali and Berry should be prime candidates.
However, with Bowe's contract being extremely cap friendly this year and more than doubling next they need to be careful what they do in 2014.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: