Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

BSH Mock 2013 Offseason 1.0
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tampa Bay Buccaneers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bucstopshere

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: BSH Mock 2013 Offseason 1.0 Reply with quote

Two weeks after our season has ended and I think itís time for some more speculation. Here will be my first edition of a full offseason for us with cuts, free agents and a full draft. This is purely based off of my ratings on players and what I think we should do, not actually what we will. So here we go!

Our Free Agents

Ronde Barber | S | Resign
Ronde comes back on for another year to build on his Hall of Fame career. He was still playing at an exceptional level and until his play suffers, I donít think he leaves the game. He still looked hungry at the end of the year, and I think he knows that we were just a few plays from the playoffs this year. He wants one more playoff run.

LeGarrette Blount | RB | RFA Tender
I think we sign him to the lowest tender and send him in a package to move up (See later) in the draft. He still has run for 1,000 yards in a season and has very little wear on him. He just got in Schianoís dog house and never got out after that Oakland game. Still there is some value in him and Mark Dominik is going to get some out of it.

Michael Bennett | DE | Resign
This is the first piece and the most important thing we need to do this offseason. We have to keep Bennett around, not only did he nearly get double digit sacks, and lead the Bucs in sacks over the past two years but he is a monster in the run game. You just donít let go of pass rushers entering their prime that is already on the team.

Roy Miller | DT | Resign
Like Bennett, Miller is a must resign for me. Heís helped McCoy reach his first pro bowl and was a big part in having the #1 rush defense. He doesnít offer much in the pass rush department, but both Bowers and Bennett have experience rushing from inside on passing situations. Miller wonít require a ton of money and makes sense for both parties.

E.J. Biggers | CB | Resign
Biggers will be cheap, and he isnít as bad as heís shown to be. Heís good depth and as long as he isnít relied on to cover teams top receivers than heíll be just fine. Heíll battle out with Leonard Johnson and Anthony Gaitor as the only corners we keep from the 2012 roster. I think itís important that we keep some guys around and we wonít need to overpay him.

Andrew Economos | LS | Resign
No brainier, not a big salary, and we never have problems with snaps. Donít mess up a good thing.

Roster Moves

Eric Wright | CB | Cut
This was a given once we all found out that the Bucs are off the hook for his guaranteed salary for the 2013 season. Wright was nothing more than average when on the field, and for $8 Million a year, the Bucs will use that cap space to sign a corner that can contribute.

Quincy Black | OLB | Injury Settlement
What happened to Quincy this year was very unfortunate, especially because he was playing the best football of his career. Still even without the injury Black's salary needed to be redone. He is scheduled to make $6 million dollars for a 2 down linebacker. I hope that Black can make a full recovery and come back and play for the Bucs, but right now he's just too much of a huge unknown.

Mike Williams | WR | Extend Contract
Williams is going into the last year on his contract and clearly outperformed his 4th round contract. He excelled and led the team in TD's with the arrival of Vincent Jackson taking the number one coverage. Williams has a good connection already with Freeman, and was one of the better tandems this year. It's better to do this early while we got the extra money.

Free Agency

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie | CB
Before we even cut Wright we needed corner help and the cutting of Wright just gives the salary straight to a free agent cb. The Bucs have always been high on DRC, it was said they were going to pick him in the 2008 draft, but the Cards snatched him up before us. With the impressive game he had against us, and the most potential out of all the free agent corners, I think he's the one we sign.

Jenkins could be a possibility to return to Tampa where he played his college ball, but remember they opted to draft Talib over Jenkins. Grimes is another guy that will get a hard look, but it's hard to give that much guaranteed money to a guy coming off of an Achilles injury.

DRC is the first piece in rebuilding the worst secondary from 2012.

Martellus Bennett | TE
The Buccaneers have hinted that they will try and find a TE in Free Agency or early in the draft. Clark had some good games but disappeared throughout the season too often. Bennett has mentioned that he wanted to play with his brother, and being as that I dont think Michael leaves Tampa, for that to happen he'll have to come to Tampa.

I think it would be a great fit for Bennett who saw his best season yet as a pro with the Giants. He is a big body that is good at run blocking as well, and can be a difference maker in the passing game.

With Bennett on the field it wonít hint as much as what the Bucs are doing. They like running the ball a lot and then throwing the ball deep off of play action. Bennett being in wouldnít key the defense like it did when Clark was in the game and leaves the Bucs the ability to pick best player available when the draft rolls around.

Dwight Freeney | DE
This move is dependent on Freeney actually getting released, but with his salary at $20 million for 2013, Indy wonít be able to trade that cap, and he just doesnít fit what they are doing anymore in Indy.

Freeney had has worst year statistically but still has some left in the tank. He is exactly what the Bucs need to help their pass rush, an established speed rusher that can come in on obvious passing situations.

The Bucs were very reluctant to bring in vets over the past few years but you can see the effect that Vincent Jackson had on Mike Williams and the rest of the offense. I think Freeney could do that exact thing for the defense

Bowers will finally have his first full offseason where he is healthy to get better and looked good at the end of the season. Being able to learn from one of the best in Freeney will help him, Clayborn and Bennett.

This will once again allow the Bucs to draft best player available and more importantly give a rotational guy that can help Clayborn and Bowers become the players that all of us expect they can be.

Glenn Dorsey | DT

This is a move that quite a few people have said, and one I agree with. Dorsey will come fairly cheap and be a great rotation guy for McCoy. He is a one gap penetrator that would go great in Schanio's defensive scheme.

Dorsey never fit what Kansas City was trying to do from the day they drafted him. Getting him next to McCoy on passing situations could help the anemic Bucs pass rush and give a steady push from the inside.

2013 NFL Draft

*****TRADE*****
Tampa sends pick 13, 109 and LeGarrette Blount to Buffalo for the 8th pick overall. The Bills become sold on Doug Marone for their first pick after a good senior bowl, they see the opportunity to drop a few spots, still get their guy and add a 4th round pick. Blount provides a change of pace back from Spiller. Jackson is getting older and Blount provides a big back to bring in late in the games.

1st Round (8th) Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Dee Milliner | CB | Alabama

The Buccaneers have never been afraid to move around the draft and after trading back last year, this year they go and get their guy in Milliner. The Bucs desperately need corner help, even after signing DRC they go get the top corner in the 2013 draft.

Milliner fits exactly what Schiano wants in a cornerback. Heís big and strong, plays well on an island and very good in run support. I compare Milliner to Haden in that they both have outstanding technique coming into the pros. Milliner isnít a blazer either which will allow him to fall just out of the top five.

Dee will start from day one, and with DRC on the outside the Buccaneers should be much improved from the combo of Biggers and Johnson that started during the Bucs losing streak.

2nd Round (43rd) Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Tavon Austin | WR | West Virginia

Not many people will agree with taking a receiver in the top of the second round, especially after the production the Bucs got out of Vincent Jackson and Mike Williams, but Austin is more than just a receiver. Austin may be the most dynamic player in this draft that has made a living in college on scoring from everywhere.

Thereís no doubt the Buccaneers need to upgrade their returner and Austin would be an immediate upgrade there. The other piece that the Bucs were missing on offense was an effective slot receiver. Underwood played well at times, but was far too inconsistent and just wasnít in sync with Freeman.

Austin would fit perfectly in the slot, could take end-a-rounds, and be a big impact in the screen game. If you think about what makes the Giants offense tick (Mike Sullivanís system) is a quick, reliable slot receiver. When Manning was at the top of the game is when Victor Cruz has been tearing teams up from the slot. Austin could be that guy for the Buccaneers and really help with the return game, which from watching the impact that returners have had in the playoffs would be well worth this pick.

*****TRADE*****
Tampa sends their 2013 3rd and 4th round picks, along with a 2014 5th rounder to Minnesota to move up to the 53rd pick in 2013.

2nd Round (53rd) Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Khaseem Greene | LB | Rutgers

I thought long and hard about not only the Bucs moving up here, but selecting a linebacker again after selecting Lavonte David in the second round last year. When you think that the Bucs had the number one rush defense and how it would help with Greene taking over at strong side backer.

But the more I thought about it, he will be a three down linebacker. He is a former strong safety that has added weight and made the transition to linebacker. Foster improved greatly in run support, but he still looks lost in pass support.

In a game where the nickel package is so prevalent pairing Greene with David give the Bucs two studs for the next decade. Foster will still be prevalent in the middle, but Greene can cover backs and tight ends and improve the pass defense that way. He also is a very effective blitzer with 11 sacks in his collegiate career.

5th Round Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Tharold Simon | CB/S | LSU

This might be a bit late for Simon, but I think he could easily slip here. Simon played bad in 2012 and was called out by his strength coach about skipping practices. Those two things combined will push Simon down the board despite having excellent size for a corner.

Whether he can fix his technique to play corner, or he moves to safety this pick basically is to get Myron Lewis off the roster. I think Simon could sit and learn and become a good corner, with the moves that the Bucs made prior to this pick would allow him time to do that.

Just to get someone that has some potential that is 6í3 makes this pick worth it, not to mention getting Lewis off the roster just needs to be done.

6th Round Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Michael Williams | TE | Alabama

After getting Bennett I still think the Bucs address the Tight End position in the draft. They have an athletic guy they like on the roster in Danny Noble, but Williams is the best blocking Tight End in the draft. For a team that wants to pound the ball Williams makes a ton of sense. Competition at the tight end spot is needed, and Williams blocking would be an asset at a bare minimum.

7th Round Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Zac Stacey | RB | Vanderbilt

The Buccaneers found their bell cow in Doug Martin, but he needs someone that can spell him from time to time and keep his carries down. They have Michael Smith, a seventh rounder from 2012, but theyíll add Stacey to challenge him.

Stacey can do it all and could be a real steal for any team that takes him in the draft.

Last edited by bucstopshere on Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
BBando

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just get the feeling Ronde hangs them up. Love him one of greatest Bucs. Just let Blount go. The Bills could sign him if they really wanted to. Bennett is a weird one for me. I'm not so sure if we should re-sign him or let him go. I know he was our best pass rusher this year but he is not that good at it. I say let him walk. That is my position on him right now. Go out and sign another DE to rotate with Bowers. Roy Miller needs to be re-signed as well. Love that move. Agree on Biggers. No way no how should he be a stater. But as a 3rd-4th string CB I wouldn't mind it. Eric Wright should be gone. Here is you mulligan Dom. Sad what happen to Black. Was having one of his better years this year also. I like the DRC signing. Coming off a down year but I really like him. People talk about him not being able to tackle. Guess what I don't want my CB to be a great tackler anyways. If he can lock someone down he is fine to me. Like the Martellus signing as well.(You have Jared Cook as his picture though) Love the Freeney signing. Great pass-rusher. Veteran signing and we cn get him for 2-3 years. Like the Dorsey signing. Chiefs aren't using him right. I think he would flourish in our system. Not to high on Milliner like some of you. I wouldn't mind drafting him at 13 but moving up for him is too much for me. Love, love, love Austin. Perfect person for this offense. WR/RB/KR/PR all in one. Think the kid will be a stud. Little too rich for me on this trade. Like Greene but think we are giving up way to much. Love Simon. Very raw but has great potential. Like Williams also. Zac Stacy won't work in our system. Don't think he will last until the 7th round anyways. Packers will scoop him up.

Overall I like it.
bucstopshere

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fixed the pic, thanks!

Yeah I might be higher on Millner than most, but I think he's exactly what we need.

Thanks for the input!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really a fan of DRC. Also with a team with depth issues I dot see us moving up twice. This isn't a strong of a draft as last year. I like the move for milliner but not sure move up for Greene unless we really really like him.

Don't like the Dwight freeney move. Would much rather Paul Kruegar. Younger and motor is non stop.
deuces22wild

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good to me.

I think most of our mocks are going to look pretty similar this year.

If we sign Bennett back I think his brother is also coming and he will fill a need.

Corner is a must in both FA and the draft unless we sign two during FA period.

In the first two rounds I also selected Milliner and Greene. You went with Austin with the first second and I chose Swearinger as our second round trade up, either way I would be happy. Not a huge reach but I don't think Austin will last that long. Pretty much every team that pick before us in the second round maybe beside the Browns could use him. Throw in half a dozen teams that pick in the end of the first and he is probably scooped up.

If it did go like this I have zero issues with trading up. We need to add impact players. "Losing" a 4th round pick or two doesn't hurt me one bit.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deuces22wild wrote:
Looks good to me.

If we sign Bennett back I think his brother is also coming and he will fill a need.

In the first two rounds I also selected Milliner and Greene. You went with Austin with the first second and I chose Swearinger as our second round trade up, either way I would be happy. Not a huge reach but I don't think Austin will last that long. Pretty much every team that pick before us in the second round maybe beside the Browns could use him. Throw in half a dozen teams that pick in the end of the first and he is probably scooped up.

If it did go like this I have zero issues with trading up. We need to add impact players. "Losing" a 4th round pick or two doesn't hurt me one bit.

Glad u see it the same. We need impact players, not depth. We were aggressive last year getting three impact players, same as I have in this draft.

We need a returner, I hope we find a way to get Austin. All the playoff teams had great returners, we can't be dead last

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucstopshere wrote:
deuces22wild wrote:
Looks good to me.

Glad u see it the same. We need impact players, not depth. We were aggressive last year getting three impact players, same as I have in this draft.

We need a returner, I hope we find a way to get Austin. All the playoff teams had great returners, we can't be dead last

I think I heard John lynch repeatedly say the bucs were not a playoff team bc they lack depth. And is still our problem.

I like the draft but I don't see us surrendering 3rd and both 4th round picks.
indifference

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be shocked if we didn't cut Myron Lewis while were at it. That leaves us with DRC as the #1, Milliner #2, Bigger 3, Johnson 4? I think that'll suffice but I'm curious to how good DRC has been. I thought he did a solid job against ATL WR's, its Asomugha that got roasted big time.

I love the draft. Austin will be an elite slot and KR/PR and he never gets injured so that's a plus. I fully expect him to be a go to 3rd down guy right out of the gates.

I feel like you have to address the RT position some point. Trueblood isn't coming back and we can't just leave Dotson on the roster with no legit competition. I'd say take a RT in round 2 and sign a SLB in FA. But, overall pretty solid.
DaRealdeal

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really like the aggressive draft, but I'm not sure about Freeney. Not because he isn't talented, but I don't think he would want to come to a team that would make him a rotational DE. Even after a down year I still believe that he has what it takes to be a starter. IMO, it would take a great sell job by Dominik/Schiano to get Freeney to come here.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolute best possible scenario of free agency there. Nice draft.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

REDandPEWTER wrote:
bucstopshere wrote:
deuces22wild wrote:
Looks good to me.

I think I heard John lynch repeatedly say the bucs were not a playoff team bc they lack depth. And is still our problem.

We don't have depth... that's all we have at some positions. No starters but good guys for depth. Look at our corners, none of those guys should have been starting for us this year. 3rd/4th/5th guys fine but starting no way.

We have a rotational safety in Black. We have a rotational dt in Miller. We have decent backup running backs in Ware/Blount. We have good backup te's in Stocker/Clark, solid 4th receiver.

"Our problem" is we don't have legit starters at te, both corner spots, or a dt threat playing beside McCoy or a returner/slot.

I would think the only position where we don't have depth is de. With Clayborn coming back that will obviously be huge with a Clayborn, Bennett, Bowers rotation but adding at least one more solid guy would be nice.

Also BSH isn't surrendering our 3rd and 2-4's since he is trading up for another second we are still getting 3 starters out of 5 picks.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

REDandPEWTER wrote:

I love John Lynch, but dont agree with that. The place we lacked depth was at CB, that's why we werent a playoff team. Plain and simple. If we had competent corners we would have made a run and made the playoffs.

indifference wrote:
I would be shocked if we didn't cut Myron Lewis while were at it. That leaves us with DRC as the #1, Milliner #2, Bigger 3, Johnson 4? I think that'll suffice but I'm curious to how good DRC has been. I thought he did a solid job against ATL WR's, its Asomugha that got roasted big time.

I love the draft. Austin will be an elite slot and KR/PR and he never gets injured so that's a plus. I fully expect him to be a go to 3rd down guy right out of the gates.

I feel like you have to address the RT position some point. Trueblood isn't coming back and we can't just leave Dotson on the roster with no legit competition. I'd say take a RT in round 2 and sign a SLB in FA. But, overall pretty solid.

Dont forget about Gaitor. Gaitor could take the nickle job, the point would be that Simon, Gaitor, Biggers and Johnson would be fighting to get on the field, not forced onto it.

I knew you would love the draft. The playoffs have shown one thing, that we lack a return game. Every team in the playoffs had a big return at some point in each game. We didnt have one return go past the 35 yard line....We shouldnt force Freeman to make 75+ yard drives for TD everytime he's on the field

Trueblood is gone, but I think we can sign someone at RT. Dont forget that we'll have Meredith to be able to challenge Dotson as well. I dont think our line depth is as bad as everyone makes it out to be. But we could use one free agent signing.

DaRealdeal wrote:
Really like the aggressive draft, but I'm not sure about Freeney. Not because he isn't talented, but I don't think he would want to come to a team that would make him a rotational DE. Even after a down year I still believe that he has what it takes to be a starter. IMO, it would take a great sell job by Dominik/Schiano to get Freeney to come here.

Yeah draft is awesome Wink

I dont think it'll be that hard to sell Freeney. You have to beat out a guy that hasnt been able to stay healthy in Bowers and a guy coming off an acl tear in Clayborn. Freeney should realize to prolong his career and get better numbers that a place like Tampa would be optimal. I didnt think we'd get Nicks but we did

tml_gogo wrote:
Absolute best possible scenario of free agency there. Nice draft.

thanks Cool

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deuces22wild wrote:
Also BSH isn't surrendering our 3rd and 2-4's since he is trading up for another second we are still getting 3 starters out of 5 picks.

I think people just expect that every draft pick is a starter. To get what we got last year is a small miracle. 3 players that contribute and make impacts immediately?

I think with my draft that same kind of impact could be had. Look back at most teams drafts. If you could guarantee me that the three picks I have will be starters and contributors, I'd trade most of my draft for that....Dont' get greedy, look at the pure numbers and facts of most drafts

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No needed to get defensive deuces. I can see us trading up probably once. This draft isn't as strong as 2012. I'm all for moving up for Milliner but also wouldn't mind moving down for Rhodes.

I say if we fix certain issues in FA then yeah it's be easier to project draft trades. But right now we don't know if we resign Michael Bennett. How much are we willing to pay? Love to have him bak but it's no slam dunk.

I like a majority of the moves minus DRC and and Freeny. From what I've seen in DRC and what eagles fans have said he's soft and inconsistent and will probably be overpaid on the FA market. I just hope it's not the bucs making that move.

I think freeney isn't a good move either. Past his prime. Clayborns injury may limit him in TC so don't rule out a Paul Kruegar or 1st round selection.
deuces22wild

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

REDandPEWTER wrote:
No needed to get defensive deuces. I can see us trading up probably once. This draft isn't as strong as 2012. I'm all for moving up for Milliner but also wouldn't mind moving down for Rhodes.

I say if we fix certain issues in FA then yeah it's be easier to project draft trades. But right now we don't know if we resign Michael Bennett. How much are we willing to pay? Love to have him bak but it's no slam dunk.

I like a majority of the moves minus DRC and and Freeny. From what I've seen in DRC and what eagles fans have said he's soft and inconsistent and will probably be overpaid on the FA market. I just hope it's not the bucs making that move.

I think freeney isn't a good move either. Past his prime. Clayborns injury may limit him in TC so don't rule out a Paul Kruegar or 1st round selection.

Sorry if I came across grumpy I didn't mean to.

All I am trying to say is I would rather come out of the fa period/draft with a few studs as opposed to a bunch of decent guys. I know every offseason will not be like our last but I would rather be aggressive during the draft whether it be a trade back then move up again like last year or use both our 4s this year to move up.

Look at what one guy in Jackson did for our whole receiving core, or Martin did for our run game.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tampa Bay Buccaneers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: