Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ranking the Ravens' playoffs wins
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
BareYourTeeth


Joined: 29 Mar 2009
Posts: 1103
Location: I'm a machine Jerk!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:
For me XLVII is number 1. I was 13 when we won it in 2000. I had only been watching for a few years. There were no previous heart breaking ends to the season. And it's felt like an eternity since.


I gotta agree with this.

I would also switch 5 and 6 around but other than that, Applause
_________________

2000WORLD CHAMPIONS2012
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Integrity


Joined: 09 Mar 2006
Posts: 4208
Location: Columbia
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just comparing the two Superbowls, 35 was more special to me than 47. I drove to Baltimore in 2001 and celebrated in the streets. Yesterday I stayed home, probably because I'm getting old. To me, 35 seemed magical. By contrast, 47 felt owed to us after the heartbreak of the last 4 years.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diamondbull424


Moderator
Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Posts: 12982
Location: Baltimore, MD
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, I think that Denver game is still #1. Obviously Super Bowls weigh heavy, but winning that game... It was our first time beating Manning. It felt like their was some sort of impervious shield he had over us that no matter what we could do we would never overcome. We then overcame it under the most improbable circumstances. That game was also the single greatest playoff game, heck game, I've ever seen.

I also put 47 over 35... but only because this team means so much more to me. That Super Bowl benefits from being the first. But looking back, I'll cherish this one more. There's simply so many home grown Ravens that were keys in getting us here- that are the stars- whereas last time, we were so reliant on free agent players to take us over the top. Obviously FAs brought in are always important, but this team had key impacts from so many more home grown players: Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Terrell Suggs, Haloti Ngata, Joe Flacco, Ray Rice, Marshal Yanda, Michael Oher, Kelechi Osemele, Bernard Pierce, Torrey Smith, Dennis Pitta, Ed Dickson, Jimmy Smith, Arthur Jones, Pernell McPhee, Paul Kruger, Dannell Ellerbe, Courtney Upshaw, Sam Koch, and last but certainly not least... Justin Tucker.

Also just as important, this much moreso than that 35 squad... was a "team". That 35 team, I will forever love the dominance of that defense. But this team wasn't about a defense winning in-spit of the other side of the ball... it wasn't about having a special teams that had to score because the offense could not. I loved this team so much because when the defense couldn't get it done, the offense had its back... when the offense couldn't score... the defense had its back... and when the team needed big plays to overcome the talent of another roster... the special teams was getting it done. That Denver game is IMO, the most representational game of who this team was this season. Sort of like a snapshot of its essence... and that's why I place it as #1.

That said, the top 3... are IMO so tightly itched together. It just sucks when you look back on Super Bowl 35... and you try and claim a "star" as your own... only he wasn't... a guy like Rod Woodson isn't a Ravens star, he's a Steelers star that won with the Ravens. Shannon Sharpe wasn't a Ravens star... he was a Broncos star that won with the Ravens. So with each year, that "specialness" essence of the first tends to wear off some... it wasn't "our" group. It was like a ban of mercenaries stringing together a mission of greatness. This year, it was about family and unfinished business. I thought we were "destined" to win the Super Bowl last year, but this year... we proved that it takes more than destiny to live a dream... it takes 52+ men that play together.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rayvens4sb


Joined: 30 Dec 2010
Posts: 277
Location: US
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the minority hear, but I would put XXXV over this Super Bowl because of how dominant our defense was. I think that type of defense (and tbf, the relatively poor offense) has kind of defined the Ravens as a franchise outside of this year. Also, after this game, I wasn't as happy as I expected to be, probably because I was kind of expecting us to win, and also because I felt we could have done better with the huge lead we had. Honestly, I was hoping for the same type of blowout win we experienced in XXXV. I think after all of the hype of this Super Bowl dies down, more people will begin to agree with me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wackywabbit


Joined: 20 Dec 2009
Posts: 7027
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Sure the 2000 group was a better team, and the first super bowl for a team is special, but personally I was just so much more invested in this team. Beyond being a kid vs the experience of all those tough losses to end seasons, I feel like I know the story of almost every player on the team. Even if I was older in 2000, the draft and other team coverage wasn't nearly as big back then.

Plus, we were such a young team then and we were kind of spoiled into that quick super bowl. Even though it's still a relatively young team, they feel as ingrained into our city and region as almost any other team is.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diamondbull424


Moderator
Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Posts: 12982
Location: Baltimore, MD
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rayvens4sb wrote:
Probably the minority hear, but I would put XXXV over this Super Bowl because of how dominant our defense was. I think that type of defense (and tbf, the relatively poor offense) has kind of defined the Ravens as a franchise outside of this year. Also, after this game, I wasn't as happy as I expected to be, probably because I was kind of expecting us to win, and also because I felt we could have done better with the huge lead we had. Honestly, I was hoping for the same type of blowout win we experienced in XXXV. I think after all of the hype of this Super Bowl dies down, more people will begin to agree with me.

I disagree.

Honestly, I think THIS Super Bowl has the greater potential to live on. Now obviously its your opinion, but my reasoning is that of that first Super Bowl team... so many of the stars were basically mercenaries that came to our squad. This Super Bowl however, the stars, FTMP were ours. And the key contributors like Jacoby Jones, Boldin, and VLeach... they just may go down as being defined more for their successes with the Ravens then their successes elsewhere. Jacoby Jones is infamous in Houston whereas he's going to be considered a hero here. Boldin, like Mason, might be more inclined to retire as a "Raven" then as a Cardinal when its all said and done. Leach is in a similar spot to Boldin.

And honestly, its the stories that push the legacy into relevance. That Super Bowl run had Ray Lewis overcoming the adversity of his prison case the year before. It had a horrible offense that couldn't score a touchdown for a whole month. It had the story of the backup QB that rose to game manager status to lead his offense. It had a great special teams. We beat our rivals, the Titans in an epic. And it had the greatest defense of all time finding a way to overcome their offense's ineptitude and win in-spite of them. It was also the first Super Bowl win ever for the Ravens.

This run however had Suggs triceps injury coming off his DPOY win. This had Art Modell passing. Tevin Smith's death and the team supporting Torrey. It had Ray and Webb, two stars, going down for injury. There was the "Diddle-diddle, Ray Rice up the Middle" that showed us the improbable could be done. We fired Cam Cameron at the end of the season. We battled pass Chuckstrong in Ray's final game at the Lion's den. We FINALLY beat Peyton Manning... and we did it in the most thrilling game in Ravens playoff history. We then got revenge on our rivals, the Patriots, for the loss the year before. And finally there was brother vs brother in the Super Bowl... there was the destiny's child reunion (hey, this definitely counts as memorable), the lights powered out for over 30 minutes (most odd Super Bowl experience), there was a goal line stand, and an 8 yard safety that essentially sealed the game. There is simply so much more to not forget about this run as time goes on. And like I said, the amount of homegrown Ravens stars on this team will make it that much more memorable in Ravens lore.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wackywabbit


Joined: 20 Dec 2009
Posts: 7027
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, the Broncos game this year is number 1.

I know everyone else will have the super bowl games as the top 2, but you don't reach the super bowl without the games before it so every playoff game during a super bowl run has the potential to be equally significant. Just because the super bowl game is the last step doesn't make the biggest or most difficult. Looking back on 2000, the biggest game in terms of getting us a title was the game against the rival Titans. The super bowl beatdown was certainly enjoyable, but that's not where they earned the title.

The Broncos this year, were I think the best and most complete team we faced. The things we had to overcome like the short week vs number 1 seed with a bye, single digit temperatures, altitude, and the prohibitive underdog status, all made this the toughest moment. If we lost this game, not only do we not win the SB or get a shot at revenge for our worse loss ever, but the world doesn't see Flacco's emergence in to a championship caliber QB, and they could write off the Colts game as a weak opponent (a false notion), and the Broncos game as a fluke.

Oh, and it just happened to be one of the greatest games in postseason history. Score never more than a TD apart, Torrey Smith toasting Champ Bailey twice, overcoming 2 special teams TDs, the miracle F-bomb (greatest play in franchise history) stunning the crowd and the whole sports world, the game being tied after 1,2,3,and 4 quarters and 1OT, getting to double OT, stopping the Greatest Player to ever play the game when it counted, Tucker's money kick to erase the memories of past failures, and of course defining game of Flacco's career.

That is going to be the game I rewatch so many times that I memorize the entire broadcast.


Edit: and then I read 5 posts above and realize this was not a unique opinion Embarassed Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diamondbull424


Moderator
Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Posts: 12982
Location: Baltimore, MD
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:
IMO, the Broncos game this year is number 1.

I know everyone else will have the super bowl games as the top 2, but you don't reach the super bowl without the games before it so every playoff game during a super bowl run has the potential to be equally significant. Just because the super bowl game is the last step doesn't make the biggest or most difficult. Looking back on 2000, the biggest game in terms of getting us a title was the game against the rival Titans. The super bowl beatdown was certainly enjoyable, but that's not where they earned the title.

The Broncos this year, were I think the best and most complete team we faced. The things we had to overcome like the short week vs number 1 seed with a bye, single digit temperatures, altitude, and the prohibitive underdog status, all made this the toughest moment. If we lost this game, not only do we not win the SB or get a shot at revenge for our worse loss ever, but the world doesn't see Flacco's emergence in to a championship caliber QB, and they could write off the Colts game as a weak opponent (a false notion), and the Broncos game as a fluke.

Oh, and it just happened to be one of the greatest games in postseason history. Score never more than a TD apart, Torrey Smith toasting Champ Bailey twice, overcoming 2 special teams TDs, the miracle F-bomb (greatest play in franchise history) stunning the crowd and the whole sports world, the game being tied after 1,2,3,and 4 quarters and 1OT, getting to double OT, stopping the Greatest Player to ever play the game when it counted, Tucker's money kick to erase the memories of past failures, and of course defining game of Flacco's career.

That is going to be the game I rewatch so many times that I memorize the entire broadcast.


Edit: and then I read 5 posts above and realize this was not a unique opinion Embarassed Smile

But you had the better write up if that makes you feel any better. Smile Wink
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
spiritoftruth


Joined: 22 Nov 2006
Posts: 2197
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broncos game is #1 for me as well. This Superbowl is #2.

Agreed with db, this team will forever be ingrained in my memory because of the daunting (in retrospect) road they had to take to win the Superbowl. Manning in Denver, Brady in NE, and the "best overall team" in the NFL in SF, what a journey.
_________________

NextBigThing wrote:
I am a Patriots fan, I know all about excellence.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diamondbull424


Moderator
Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Posts: 12982
Location: Baltimore, MD
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiritoftruth wrote:
Broncos game is #1 for me as well. This Superbowl is #2.

Agreed with db, this team will forever be ingrained in my memory because of the daunting (in retrospect) road they had to take to win the Superbowl. Manning in Denver, Brady in NE, and the "best overall team" in the NFL in SF, what a journey.

That's also a really good point that will only further elevate this Super Bowl victory.

Beyond what we, Ravens fans, consider to be "more special" the fact is that on this road to Super Bowl 47... we beat two GOAT QB options and beat potentially two top 3 QBs of the future in CK7 and Luck. History remembers great QBs. And the Ravens beat two of the greatest in one year... along with a very prestigious franchise in the 49ers. This win will be remembered more than our last... at least in history's arms, I think.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GaTechRavens


Joined: 25 Nov 2006
Posts: 17661
Location: Madison, WI
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Ranking the Ravens' playoffs wins Reply with quote

Integrity wrote:
GaTechRavens wrote:

2. Super Bowl XLVII (34-31 over San Francisco) - Even though it was closer, I have to put this one behind the pure dominance of Super Bowl XXXV. Still an incredible game. I'm even okay with nearly choking it away - a little added drama never hurts.


I have to disagree with your last statement there. It does indeed hurt. Specifically my heart. I still don't think its gone back to beating normally yet. Laughing


My heart stopped beating about three weeks ago. I'm not sure how I'm still alive. I don't know if I should be thrilled or terrified. Maybe I should see a doctor.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diamondbull424


Moderator
Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Posts: 12982
Location: Baltimore, MD
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Ranking the Ravens' playoffs wins Reply with quote

GaTechRavens wrote:
Integrity wrote:
GaTechRavens wrote:

2. Super Bowl XLVII (34-31 over San Francisco) - Even though it was closer, I have to put this one behind the pure dominance of Super Bowl XXXV. Still an incredible game. I'm even okay with nearly choking it away - a little added drama never hurts.


I have to disagree with your last statement there. It does indeed hurt. Specifically my heart. I still don't think its gone back to beating normally yet. Laughing


My heart stopped beating about three weeks ago. I'm not sure how I'm still alive. I don't know if I should be thrilled or terrified. Maybe I should see a doctor.

Does your skin sparkle in the sunlight? If not, then I wouldn't think anything of it. Just avoid daylight, silver bullets, and stake knives... and you should be good. Cool Razz Wink
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group