Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

OILCHIEFS Mock Off-Season
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OILCHIEFS

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:50 am    Post subject: OILCHIEFS Mock Off-Season Reply with quote

I want to make this a mock off-season that has as much realism as possible. To start I make decisions based on what I would like the Chiefs to do but as information becomes available I will update the offseason to reflect real life actions. I will also be waiting until the compensatory picks are released to add any to the mock. I also will assume the Chiefs will be running more of a 1-gap 3-4. So it beginsÖ

Re-signings:

Dwayne Bowe:
Obvious resigning here. I expect Reid can get the best out of him.

Branden Albert:
One of the first things Reid did was sign Jon Runyan to a huge contract at the time, which shows he understands protecting the quarterback is of the utmost importance.

Dustin Colquitt:
One of the few bright spots this year. Obvious resigning.

Thomas Gafford:
Insert LS here. Continuity.

Brandon Siler:
Depth LB. Like to see him with a full offseason of training.:

Ropati Pitoitua:
Showed enough promise rushing the passer to fit in the 1-gap. Hereís hoping experience and a full offseason will help even more. Good length.

Shaun Smith:
Was always better as 1-gapper. Has the attitude the chiefs were missing all year.

Restructure:

Tyson Jackson:
Iíll assume he gets restructured. If real life events deem otherwise I will change my offseason accordingly. Excited to see what he can do in a 1-gap.

Cuts:

Matt Cassel: Duh? I was so wrong about him this year.

Free Agents:

Cary Williams:
I wanted a bigger corner with experience to handle duties opposite Flowers.

Chad Rinehart:
Good depth IOL. Injured through the season and hoping Buffalo lets him slip through the cracks amidst their changes.

Geoff Schwartz:
Wanted him last year so why not this time around. Versatile.

Jason Campbell:
Not many options out their for a veteran QB. Decent QB for spot duty.

Kenny Philips:
Most likely will be re-signed but maybe the constant injuries will make the Giants decide against it. I love Phillips when heís healthy but that will always be the question mark. Maybe he could play half the season while Lewis plays the other? If heís healthy, we have a studly combo.

Draft:

Round 1: QB Geno Smith (Alternate: Tyler Wilson):

Iíve watched all game footage of Geno in 2012 and came away certain he is the man I want. I love his skill-set and I get the sense he is top notch between the ears as well. You may not like Smith but even if itís Wilson I would be happy. We need to take a QB that has first round talent, even if itís not top 5 talent.

Round 2: ILB Arthur Brown(Alternate: Tavon Austin):
This guy is going to be stud. I originally had him in the third but I feel he will be a second round selection when itís all over. I also thought about Austin to add an incredible weapon who is familiar with Smith but that would be too much of a luxury.

Round 3: DE Margus Hunt:
Physical freak. Very raw but has a massive ceiling. This is fair stock for him now but I expect him to skyrocket. Here is to hoping for now,

Round 4: S DJ Swearinger:
My favorite safeties are Elam and Jefferson but this guys offers great value as well. Heís lined up all over the defensive backfield and boy can he lay the boom. Adds versatility and depth while being an option on special teams.

Round 5: OLB Jamie Collins:
Converted DB to LB. Undersized and raw but good potential at OLB. Heíll have a head start in coverage but will be a liability in run defense. Heís also a raw pass rusher but his athletic ability helps him there. Great player to grow and learn under Hali and Houston while playing occasionally playing passing downs.

Round 6: RB Knile Davis:
Showed some great skills back in 2010 but broke his ankle and missed out on his 2011 season. From reports I have read they state he wasnít the same coming back but showed flashes of his old self. This is the perfect time to take a risk on a him as most 6th round picks and big contributors anyways.

Round 7: WR JD Woods:

Not expecting him to make the final roster but to make the PS. While I was watching all of Genoís film this guy kept showing up with some huge grabs. If they didnít have Bailey and Austin this guy could have had a crazy good season,

Iíll be adding more components but would like to get some feedback before I go any further. Please comment on what you like and where you see weaknesses, as I will be updating as I continue scouting players and as more information becomes available.

Last edited by OILCHIEFS on Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:00 am; edited 1 time in total
OILCHIEFS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update #1 March 3rd - Post combine/Alex Smith

Re-signings:

Dwayne Bowe: Obvious resigning here. I expect Reid can get the best out of him.

Branden Albert: One of the first things Reid did was sign Jon Runyan to a huge contract at the time, which shows he understands protecting the quarterback is of the utmost importance.

Dustin Colquitt: One of the few bright spots this year. Obvious resigning.

Thomas Gafford: Insert LS here. Continuity.

Brandon Siler: Depth LB. Like to see him with a full offseason of training.:

Ropati Pitoitua: Showed enough promise rushing the passer to fit in the 1-gap. Hereís hoping experience and a full offseason will help even more. Good length.

Restructure:

Tyson Jackson: Iíll assume he gets restructured. If real life events deem otherwise I will change my offseason accordingly. Excited to see what he can do in a 1-gap.

Cuts:

Matt Cassel: Duh? I was so wrong about him this year.
Breaston
Boss

Free Agents:

Husain Abdullah: Done

Larry Grant:
Showed up well playing behind Willis. Good replacement for Belcher.

Sean Smith:
Chiefs rumors and the needs for a CB make for a good combo

Chad Rinehart:
Good depth IOL. Injured through the season and hoping Buffalo lets him slip through the cracks amidst their changes.

Geoff Schwartz:
Wanted him last year so why not this time around. Versatile.
Roto update: Says jets are interested and Schwartz wants to start. LG?

Kenny Philips:
Most likely will be re-signed but maybe the constant injuries will make the Giants decide against it. I love Phillips when heís healthy but that will always be the question mark. Maybe he could play half the season while Lewis plays the other? If heís healthy, we have a studly combo.
Roto Update: Says Giants will only take him back at their price.

Draft:

Round 1: DE Star Lotulelei
Previous Pick: Geno Smith

Iíd love a trade down but until something happens Iíll leave it as is. Star was the consensus #1 D-lineman before the heart condition. If he checks out, heís my pick.

Round 2: Traded
Previous: Margus Hunt

Round 3:QB EJ Manuel
Previous Pick: Arthur Brown

Reid get his McNabb. Chiefs get their QBOTF. Some people will say he goes higher, but if the QBís start falling to the 2nd round that chances are decent to get him.

Round 4: OLB Jamie Collins
Previous Pick: DJ Swearinger

Moved Collins up a round. I think this guys will be a really good player one day.

Round 5: TE Vance Mcdonald
Previous Pick: Jamie Collins

Collins will go higher now, Mcdonald may to but itís such a deep class you can just add the TE you like that falls to this spot.

Round 6: RB Knile Davis:
Previous Pick: Davis

Showed some great skills back in 2010 but broke his ankle and missed out on his 2011 season. From reports I have read they state he wasnít the same coming back but showed flashes of his old self. This is the perfect time to take a risk on a him as most 6th round picks and big contributors anyways.

Round 7: WR JD Woods:
Previous Pick: Woods

Not expecting him to make the final roster but to make the PS. While I was watching all of Genoís film this guy kept showing up with some huge grabs. If they didnít have Bailey and Austin this guy could have had a crazy good season.

Here's my latest go at it. Hope you guys enjoy. No one commented the first time but I'll assume you were all so entertained by it that commenting didnt do it justice Wink
OILCHIEFS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reserved for post compensation picks update
OILCHIEFS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reserved for pre-draft update.
oldman9er

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think many would consider it a real surprise to see Collins or Swearinger available in rd 4... as well as McDonald falling to rd 5.

... but IF they do? I'd consider that great value on two very good prospects.

Also really like the Larry Grant and Sean Smith pickups. Star is a stud there, as long as his health is good. E.J. Manuel is solid in rd 3, if you have no faith in the backups.

___
bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're missing our 3rd round comp pick. Also, I just don't see us signing all of those UFAs. Check out the cap discussion thread for resoning.

^ryknowssd on the sig
OILCHIEFS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
I think many would consider it a real surprise to see Collins or Swearinger available in rd 4... as well as McDonald falling to rd 5.

... but IF they do? I'd consider that great value on two very good prospects.

Also really like the Larry Grant and Sean Smith pickups. Star is a stud there, as long as his health is good. E.J. Manuel is solid in rd 3, if you have no faith in the backups.

Yeah, I can definitely see those guys gone by then. I'll need to find a new OLB but TE is so deep I'm not as worried. We should be able to get a contributor in that range.

I like Grant as a value pickup who could turn into a good starter and I chose smith because of the rumors.

Manuel if given a few years under Romeo and Smith, I could see being a Kaepernick type guy. Maybe!

Thanks for the response man
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure you mean Reid, not Romeo.
OILCHIEFS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigschmadt00 wrote:
You're missing our 3rd round comp pick. Also, I just don't see us signing all of those UFAs. Check out the cap discussion thread for resoning.

Has it been made official? I'm kinda of waiting and trying not to assume anything.

Yeah, I do understand what you saying about the UFA's. Smith is the only real high price guy and the only reason i chose him is because of the rumors that have been circulating. I'd rather go Fletcher or a more value based signing.

However, I also assume us reworking or cutting Tyson Jackson so that will give us some space.

No one else really is a huge name signing. Phillips maybe but even the G-men aren't willing to break the bank.

Thanks for replying Bigs!
OILCHIEFS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DT58_lives_on wrote:

OMG! I think I need to stop looking at a screen for awhile.
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OILCHIEFS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol I deserve that double post!

REID!!!!!!!
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The odd thing it's, once I posted that, I didn't come back until this morning not sure that second post came from.
bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OILCHIEFS wrote:
bigschmadt00 wrote:

Has it been made official? I'm kinda of waiting and trying not to assume anything.

Yeah, I do understand what you saying about the UFA's. Smith is the only real high price guy and the only reason i chose him is because of the rumors that have been circulating. I'd rather go Fletcher or a more value based signing.

However, I also assume us reworking or cutting Tyson Jackson so that will give us some space.

No one else really is a huge name signing. Phillips maybe but even the G-men aren't willing to break the bank.

Thanks for replying Bigs!

No, the 3rd compensatory is not for sure, but the formula is public knowledge, and some guys have used that to put together a reasonably accurate projection, which gives us the 2nd comp pick of the 3rd round, behind only the Texans with Mario Williams. While it won't be official until later this month, it's fairly certain, and would be a big impact on a full off-season projection of this team.

As for the cap, what I've seen, even with a very modest restructure of Tyson, say $4MM this year, cutting Cassel, adding Smith, re-signing or tagging Bowe and Albert for basically an average of $9MM each this year, you've got maybe $6-7MM left. That may be off a million or two, but it's pretty close.

I honestly see Tyson being allowed to hit the street, and we sign the most reasonable of him, Canty, Jenkins, and Starks. We need him back at a very cap friendly number of less then $3MM per year, and no way he takes that deal before testing UFA, unless it's like a fully guaranteed 6yr deal at $3MM/yr.

^ryknowssd on the sig
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I honestly see Tyson being allowed to hit the street, and we sign the most reasonable of him, Canty, Jenkins, and Starks. We need him back at a very cap friendly number of less then $3MM per year, and no way he takes that deal before testing UFA, unless it's like a fully guaranteed 6yr deal at $3MM/yr.

Bigs, I've been thinking about this too. The issue is, we have to be able to get one of these other guys. And while I think Jenkins might come at a fairly amiable price, I'm not sure we're a team he's in on.

I think Starks is the best one, but thus I think he'll demand the most money. I'd like Canty if for nothing more than the BA facemask he sports.

Losing TJ and Dorsey kind of leaves us very short handed in the DE position though...again I think a lot of this might come down to what happens with Albert.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: