Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Watching the 9ers makes me believe in Pryor
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NCOUGHMAN

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
Don't take this as me bashing Pryor, but it really doesn't look to me like RMK is high on him:

Quote:
Q: Obviously running quarterbacks this year have had some success around the league. Do you assess his skills differently seeing that it can work?

McKenzie: Youíve still got to have the total package too. People talk about RG [Robert Griffin III] and [Russell] Wilson and [Colin] Kaepernick. You have to make the short, medium, long throws to be effective. When you play eight or nine in the box and just all off and come get you if you canít complete balls tooÖ

Quote:
Q: From a talent evaluation standpoint, as you see the league, at least some teams gravitating toward more quarterback oriented runs, does that make you evaluate the position any differently going forward?

McKenzie: Youíve got to evaluate. That doesnít mean you change your philosophy and youíre going to go strictly with an option running-type quarterback. Itís always nice to have options. If you can get a guy that can throw it, which all quarterbacks are going to have to be able to throw the football, then on top of that he can run it, thatís the old adage of being a dual threat. Get a defensive end that can play the run and rush the passer, thatís what you want. You got a dual threat with a guy thatís touching the ball every playÖso people are making a big deal out of it. If youíve got a guy that you have to watch out creating a lot of plays when things break down, making something out of nothing, thatís hard to defend.

Quote:
Q: Is that more dangerous to your way of thinking of making things that break down, then the read option plays that everybody is..?

McKenzie: Yeah, because the read option, you can defense that, but that read option and throwing the ball all around the field, itís hard. Thatís hard to defend.

It sounds like he's indirectly saying a lot here, imo. Like he respects the Pistol, read option and dual threat QBs. But he reiterates points about throwing the ball a lot. I think he's implying TP is lacking in that area as of now. Which I think we can all agree on. That isn't saying Pryor can't or won't improve though.

but reg also said tp did well throwing the ball.

i took it as reg doesnt want to run a gimmick offense but a more traditional one. tp showed he was a pass 1st run 2nd type of qb. he just has the ability to extend plays and escape when things break down.

green24 wrote:
NCOUGHMAN > all of you

Raider X wrote:
This is football, not pussology 101
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He didn't really tip his hand either way, so right now we're up to interpretation. He did say TP threw he ball well and did make a conscious effort to re-iterate how he thought that skill was more important than being a dual threat. I took his POV as similar to mine: Doesn't expect much out of Pryor, but isn't going to write him off either. Hopefully TP gets the chances he deserves, which to me is the #2 spot and maybe some specific package kind of work.
NCOUGHMAN

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
He didn't really tip his hand either way, so right now we're up to interpretation. He did say TP threw he ball well and did make a conscious effort to re-iterate how he thought that skill was more important than being a dual threat. I took his POV as similar to mine: Doesn't expect much out of Pryor, but isn't going to write him off either. Hopefully TP gets the chances he deserves, which to me is the #2 spot and maybe some specific package kind of work.

yea we need a rossetta stone for reg Laughing

green24 wrote:
NCOUGHMAN > all of you

Raider X wrote:
This is football, not pussology 101
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCOUGHMAN wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:

For real. I've never seen someone so direct yet oddly unclear.

Actually, yes I have. That girl I talked to you about haha.
holyghost

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noone even mentioned the part where he said straight out Pryor is the #2, and that Leinart is essentially gone. When talking about Leinart, it sounded like there was no indication whatsoever he would be resigned. So you can look as deep as you want into the Pryor stuff, but remember what he says about Pryor is at worst lukewarm, while what he says about Leinart is pretty much ice cold. And it is pretty clear he still sees Palmer as the starter straight away.
JTagg7754

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:

Bill Bilechick and every Patriot ever interviewed is like this LOL. They train them well.

PM sig requests.
JTagg7754

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCOUGHMAN wrote:

but reg also said tp did well throwing the ball.

i took it as reg doesnt want to run a gimmick offense but a more traditional one. tp showed he was a pass 1st run 2nd type of qb. he just has the ability to extend plays and escape when things break down.

That's the problem......

PM sig requests.
oakdb36

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holyghost wrote:
Noone even mentioned the part where he said straight out Pryor is the #2, and that Leinart is essentially gone. When talking about Leinart, it sounded like there was no indication whatsoever he would be resigned. So you can look as deep as you want into the Pryor stuff, but remember what he says about Pryor is at worst lukewarm, while what he says about Leinart is pretty much ice cold. And it is pretty clear he still sees Palmer as the starter straight away.

Quote:
Q: Would you be confident in him as the No. 2 guy next year?
McKenzie: ďRight now heís our No. 2. Weíve got Matt Leinart as a free agent. Iím going to bring guys in. Iím not penciling in anybody at any position as one, two. Iím going to have somebody in here to try to compete with everybody. So Iím not going to get into who is two or three, or number one for that matter.Ē

I think the most intriguing thing is he's not even penciling anyone as the #1 as of right now.
Nodisrespect

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
holyghost wrote:

Quote:
McKenzie: ďRight now heís our No. 2. Weíve got Matt Leinart as a free agent. Iím going to bring guys in. Iím not penciling in anybody at any position as one, two. Iím going to have somebody in here to try to compete with everybody. So Iím not going to get into who is two or three, or number one for that matter.Ē

I think the most intriguing thing is he's not even penciling anyone as the #1 as of right now.
agreed
Chali21

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
NCOUGHMAN wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:

Actually, yes I have. That girl I talked to you about haha.

Jedi mind tricks... /:

Seems to me he's kinda talking up Pryor. Saying stuff like the depth chart isn't set and that he did some good things. It seems to me he's kinda making him look like he could be a CK or RG3 type if a team wanted to trade for him because let's face it his stock is at an all time high.

Last edited by Chali21 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Darkness

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nodisrespect wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
holyghost wrote:

Quote:

agreed

"Anybody at any position". Not very interesting since he was just making a broad statement that if the right upgrade presents itself at any position, he won't discount it.
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkness wrote:
Nodisrespect wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
holyghost wrote:

Quote:

agreed

"Anybody at any position". Not very interesting since he was just making a broad statement that if the right upgrade presents itself at any position, he won't discount it.

No, it obviously means the QB position. Obviously. How can you not see that? Geez. Rolling Eyes

Laughing Seriously reaching on that one.
Nodisrespect

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
Darkness wrote:
Nodisrespect wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
holyghost wrote:

Quote:

agreed

No, it obviously means the QB position. Obviously. How can you not see that? Geez. Rolling Eyes

Well, most organizations make it a point to designate there starting QB before the season starts. Namely when they are schedule to make 17 mil, you know i mean?

He could have easily just said Carson is our starter and we will bring in competition for the backup positions......................like they did last season.

You don't see the Packers, Steelers, Broncos, Chargers, Saints, or other teams with highly paid starters talking about there backups in such a manner, no one wants to see Charlie batch incorporated into the steeler offense in any manner Laughing

Last edited by Nodisrespect on Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
holyghost

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you guys really this naive? I don't think so, come on...

Of course he says competition is open. Why would anyone not say that for a 4-12 team. He doesn't want anyone getting comfortable, and if better competition is available for any slot why would a GM ever overlook that?

But if you look just a hair deeper, beyond the surface platitiudes any GM would put forth, he says things.

He responds to questions about Palmer and his health straight away, as if responding about a player who is a key part of the team. He states straight out Pryor is currently #2, even though after that he adds the usual "open competition line", which is always true for every GM. He talks about Leinart as if he is a non factor entirely..

I am not saying anything is a guarantee, and that is exactly what RM is saying. But just a little bit of reading between the lines and it shows some of what is planned. As of now, Pryor #2, Palmer #1, that much is quite clear. And whether or not a better option comes along, if one does McKenzie would take it. So would any GM. But where we find and try to predict what he "will do", comes along with what he "can do". Little options out there for this team right now as far as adding other, better, quarterbacks. Not no options, but few. Really. I mean FA is not flush with premier options, we know the guy doesn't want to shed more picks for an addition, and our draft cupboard is still pretty limited. Overall it's a high likelihood this is your #1 and #2 of 2013 unless an upgrade option emerges from out of the blue. I know it's not what alot of you want to hear, and we all have our own ideas, but there's a reality guys like RM have to deal with in order to manage a team for long term. A fan cannot often see that reality from their arm chair, and everyone likes to have their own opinions of what "should" happen.

You also have to take into account the kind of posturing a GM must engage in to protect team interests. Such as the part with McFadden. Sure, he's identifying what he does and saying he's staying. That doesn't mean a trade couldn't happen. It just means he can't as a GM tip his hand about anything. It's RM's job to do anything he can do to maintain a guy's value to the Raiders. Most of what he says to the press has to be a balance between the truth needed to satisfy fans, and white lies needed to do his own job in managing both his own players and their value to other teams.

Everything McKenzie says has to be a calculated statement in order to protect all the interests that go along with his job.
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nodisrespect wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:
Darkness wrote:
Nodisrespect wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
holyghost wrote:

Quote:

agreed

Well, most organizations make it a point to designate there starting QB before the season starts. Namely when the are schedule to make 17 mil, you know i mean?

He could have easily just said Carson is our starter and we will bring in competition for the backup positions......................like they did last season.

True, but I feel like we're just gearing this specific quote toward the QB situation too much.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 10 of 13

Jump to: