Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rumor: Greg Roman and Alex Smith to come as pair
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

having #33 is going to be fun since we all will have 24 hours to speculate what we will do with it Very Happy

Victor Cruz Pun wrote:
BornToFly wrote:
Yes, I went to high school with Tony Romo

Did he do good on the homework and quizzes but choke on the tests?
iPwn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
we might have better weapons but our OL and defense are way worse
Both can be fixed enough as to allow the team success if we do what I suggested and hit on those players.

The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley
#JagsOnly
dswinton

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm against bringing in Alex Smith, his first season with Harbaugh he threw only 15 TDs. That was good for 49ers because they have a great running game and great defense so he basically was a game manager. If he come here he is going to have to actually win games for us with defenses keying in on him. We are not as good as that San Fran team and we don't have near the weapons they have. Plus they have one of the best Olines in the league. As far as Roman goes I like him alot, but after watching this Ravens game I think we should interview Jim Caldwell to.
Jaguarfan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dswinton wrote:
As far as Roman goes I like him alot, but after watching this Ravens game I think we should interview Jim Caldwell to.

Laughing Wut?
No way.

Poz- 68 comb tackles, 1 sack 2 int
Henne- 103/173 1,222 yards 2 td 5 int 72.9 rating
#JDI
iPwn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dswinton wrote:
I'm against bringing in Alex Smith, his first season with Harbaugh he threw only 15 TDs. That was good for 49ers because they have a great running game and great defense so he basically was a game manager. If he come here he is going to have to actually win games for us with defenses keying in on him. We are not as good as that San Fran team and we don't have near the weapons they have. Plus they have one of the best Olines in the league. As far as Roman goes I like him alot, but after watching this Ravens game I think we should interview Jim Caldwell to.

He threw 17 TDs. And only 5 picks.

And I think our weapons are at least on par with theirs, if not better.

MJD is better than Gore
Blackmon's second half was on par with what Crabtree did on the season, and should be able to play about the same
Shorts is miles ahead of Manningham.
Vernon Davis was no better than Marcedes Lewis was this year.

Their o-line is dominant, but we should be able to put together a good o-line if we make it a priority.

#JagsOnly
Jaguarfan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WANT

Poz- 68 comb tackles, 1 sack 2 int
Henne- 103/173 1,222 yards 2 td 5 int 72.9 rating
#JDI
dswinton

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

17 TDs 5 int's sounds familiar anyone? It would be better if they found a QB who can do the read option like Caep or Wilson. Where they gone find that guy at I have no idea. That's if we gone have the same offense. WE ARE NOT BUILT LIKE THE 49ERS NOT EVEN CLOSE so please stop trying to compare us to them. Those guys have talent after talent after talent. We got 2 young receivers and beat up running back,and don't ever put Marcedes in the same sentence with Vernon Davis. Alex Smith won because of the team around him he is game manager at best.
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dswinton wrote:
17 TDs 5 int's sounds familiar anyone? It would be better if they found a QB who can do the read option like Caep or Wilson. Where they gone find that guy at I have no idea. That's if we gone have the same offense. WE ARE NOT BUILT LIKE THE 49ERS NOT EVEN CLOSE so please stop trying to compare us to them. Those guys have talent after talent after talent. We got 2 young receivers and beat up running back,and don't ever put Marcedes in the same sentence with Vernon Davis. Alex Smith won because of the team around him he is game manager at best.

Alex was doing pretty well earlier this year before getting hurt though...

Victor Cruz Pun wrote:
BornToFly wrote:

iPwn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dswinton wrote:
17 TDs 5 int's sounds familiar anyone?

No, not really. Who are you comparing them to?

Quote:
We got 2 young receivers and beat up running back,
And who do the 49ers have? 1 good receiver and an old running back?

Quote:
and don't ever put Marcedes in the same sentence with Vernon Davis.

Tell me, which player is Lewis and which is Davis?

41 receptions, 548 yards, 5TDs
52 receptions, 540 yards, 4TDs

Clearly those players don't deserve to be in the same sentence! That single 8 yards TD makes them incomparable.

#JagsOnly
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea VD definitely didnt have the season most were expecting after his performance last yr

Victor Cruz Pun wrote:
BornToFly wrote:

Tugboat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have really mixed feelings on this idea. On the one hand, my initial reaction is something along the lines of this:

MoJo122-b-21 wrote:
Yay! An average quarterback who should do just well enough to keep us from drafting our franchise guy!

I don't want to see us bring in a guy like Smith who eeks out maybe an extra couple wins in a 6 win season or something. If we're gonna go through the process of sucking this hard, we'd might as well make it count and hope for a guy like Bridgewater next year. Eyes on the prize. Razz

FREDDY T wrote:
It is better to win than to lose IMO, progress is key.

In some ways, sure. But i still think that's an extremely shortsighted philosophy. imo it's better to lose and then win big, than it is to continuously wallow in mediocrity at best.

Progress in the NFL isn't exactly linear. Gotta look at what's best in the long-term, even if that's at the expense of a few extra stumbles in the short term.

But then i think about this:

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
we might have better weapons but our OL and defense are way worse

It's not like Alex Smith is going to accomplish anything even close to what he has in San Francisco recently, behind our terrible O-Line, and without any sort of respectable defense to rely on.

iPwn wrote:
He threw 17 TDs. And only 5 picks.

And I think our weapons are at least on par with theirs, if not better.

MJD is better than Gore
Blackmon's second half was on par with what Crabtree did on the season, and should be able to play about the same
Shorts is miles ahead of Manningham.
Vernon Davis was no better than Marcedes Lewis was this year.

Their o-line is dominant, but we should be able to put together a good o-line if we make it a priority.

I wouldn't necessarily say MJD is better than Gore at this point. MJD is pretty worn down, even before the injury. But i suppose it's close enough you can call it a wash. The others i'll give you.

But i think you're really downplaying how much of an impact that O-Line has in the success of that offense as a whole. It's significantly better than ours, and it's going to be awfully hard for a guy like Alex Smith (or Henne/Gabbert, or a Draftee) to capitalize on those better 'weapons' if they don't have any time to get anything done.

And more than that...even with a vastly superior offensive line, and only marginally lesser 'weapons'...that 49ers offense was fairly pedestrian with Alex Smith at the helm. Their exceptional defense allowed them to get away with a pretty underwhelming offense...but it's not exactly a model offense to aspire to. They went to an unproven Kaepernick for a reason after all. And i think our defense is a lot more than 2 picks and a FA or 2 away from the level of that 49ers unit. They have a number of very special players assembled there, and tons of depth beyond that.

So really, i guess...sure, bring on Alex Smith. But i don't really see the point, and i wouldn't really call it 'progress'. The progress will be in what we build elsewhere with this team, on defense and the offensive line. Barring some freakish turn, having Alex Smith here for a year isn't going to transform us into a team with a playoff type record. And hopefully by 2014 we're ready to move on anyway...be that a developmental draftee this year, or a top selection to step right in in the 2014 draft. So if Smith is our 'stop-gap' solution...it just seems like at best, we're hoping he can squeeze an extra couple wins out of the team vs. what Henne or Gabbert might accomplish. Wins that likely push us further from drafting a stud next year.

The prospect of sitting through another season of Gabbert/Henne is fairly bleak though, and i understand the need for Caldwell to show he's doing something. And if getting the coach a lot of us want (Roman) is contingent upon bring Alex Smith along for the ride in the short term...go for it i guess. Just so long as we don't give up any picks in the process, and don't tie ourselves to any significant financial commitment beyond this next season. Other than that though, it's hard to see the point.
iPwn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tugboat wrote:
But i think you're really downplaying how much of an impact that O-Line has in the success of that offense as a whole. It's significantly better than ours, and it's going to be awfully hard for a guy like Alex Smith (or Henne/Gabbert, or a Draftee) to capitalize on those better 'weapons' if they don't have any time to get anything done.

Not really. I understand how much that plays a role. I'm not expecting us to be that good the first year out, but even if we're not a top 10 unit, as they were this season, I think we can have an effective offense, that if paired with a revamped defense, could make us competitive while we're developing another QB and adding talent.

Quote:
And more than that...even with a vastly superior offensive line, and only marginally lesser 'weapons'...that 49ers offense was fairly pedestrian with Alex Smith at the helm. Their exceptional defense allowed them to get away with a pretty underwhelming offense...but it's not exactly a model offense to aspire to. They went to an unproven Kaepernick for a reason after all.

They averaged 22.75 points per game, 18th in the NFL.not great, but still something I would take at this point as a stop gap option while we develop our QB of the future.

I don't think anyone wants that to be our finished product. But Alex Smith is a guy who can work well with our weapons, who can take some pressure off of MJD, and most importantly is a guy that we can sit a young QB behind and have learn for a year or two while we put together the pieces.

Quote:
And i think our defense is a lot more than 2 picks and a FA or 2 away from the level of that 49ers unit. They have a number of very special players assembled there, and tons of depth beyond that.

I never said we were that close on D. Just because I think we can be competitive doesn't mean I think we're going to be as good as a 11-4-1 #2 seed team.

#JagsOnly

Last edited by iPwn on Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:32 am; edited 2 times in total
green24

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
Tugboat wrote:
And more than that...even with a vastly superior offensive line, and only marginally lesser 'weapons'...that 49ers offense was fairly pedestrian with Alex Smith at the helm. Their exceptional defense allowed them to get away with a pretty underwhelming offense...but it's not exactly a model offense to aspire to. They went to an unproven Kaepernick for a reason after all.

Confused They scored 24+ points in every game except one that Smith started. The one game was against the #1 defense in the NFL. They averaged 27.8 points per game with Smith at the helm. That would have been enough for 4th in the entire NFL. If that's pedestrian and underwhelming, bring it on, because I will take that in a heartbeat.

They scored only 13 points against the Vikings and 3 against the Giants.
iPwn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
iPwn wrote:
Tugboat wrote:

Confused They scored 24+ points in every game except one that Smith started. The one game was against the #1 defense in the NFL. They averaged 27.8 points per game with Smith at the helm. That would have been enough for 4th in the entire NFL. If that's pedestrian and underwhelming, bring it on, because I will take that in a heartbeat.

They scored only 13 points against the Vikings and 3 against the Giants.
My bad...... I looked at the wrong column.... Embarassed I thought they had them differently on the site. It's late... Leave me alone.

Okay, redo...

They averaged 22.75 points per game, 18th in the NFL. Still something I would take at this point as a stop gap option while we develop our QB of the future.

#JagsOnly
mikeyfarley

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex Smith stinks and is overpaid.

Both QBs the Jags have can do what Smith did if all they have to do is hand the ball of the whole game.

The 49ers made do with what they had last year. If they could take a complete bust like Smith and let him only throw about 20 times or fewer a game and be successful, they can do it with Gabbert or Henne. No need to trade for a crap QB, or sign him(if he gets cut) to a contract bigger than Henne's.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: