Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Our Free Agent Wide Receiver Options
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who is your ideal Free Agent WR for the Vikings?
Mike Wallace
33%
 33%  [ 15 ]
Dwayne Bowe
20%
 20%  [ 9 ]
Greg Jennings
42%
 42%  [ 19 ]
Danny Amendola
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Wes Welker
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 45

Thanatos

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why people are talking up Bowe to the Vikings. Bowe has proven to be a "me-first" player who has issues off the field and in the locker room from sources around the league. The Vikings are not interested in adding a player like that. It's going to be down to Jennings and Wallace. Of those two, it might just be Jennings or a 2nd tier FA.

Either way, I'd still want to draft a WR pretty early in the draft. We could have four very solid WR's. I can't see Simpson having too much of a place unless they go with a committee at WR and he's a #5. I don't think he's willing to slip that far down the depth chart.
Eric dunn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Dan Wiederer, the Vikings are unlikely to give a big contract to another WR if they extend Percy.

Quote:
Dan Wiederer ‏@StribDW
@DunnEric It's hard to have two guys at the same position making more than $10 mill per year. Restricts you elsewhere.

Sounds like he thinks Jennings will be asking for something like Vjax got last year, which i dissagree with. I think Jennings could be had for something like 5 YR , 35 MIL. Which would put him at 7 MIL yearly.

#TEDDYTHEVIKING
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Thanatos

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jennings isn't going to get anything close to 10 mil a year. He got injured recently and he's approaching a bad age, that will drive his price down enough. I'd be fine with him around 7-8 mil.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I thought, the Vikes will likely have to choose between Greg Jennings or Percy Harvin. The Vikes could come out of the gates and sign Jennings and then force Harvin to play on his rookie deal and then start to consider trade options.

I think the choice is clear though, the upgrade from Greg Jennings to Michael Jenkins is significantly greater than the downgrade from Harvin to Jarius Wright.
PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
As I thought, the Vikes will likely have to choose between Greg Jennings or Percy Harvin. The Vikes could come out of the gates and sign Jennings and then force Harvin to play on his rookie deal and then start to consider trade options.

I think the choice is clear though, the upgrade from Greg Jennings to Michael Jenkins is significantly greater than the downgrade from Harvin to Jarius Wright.

Plus you can either keep him cheap, or trade him, and use the money you would have used on Harvin to sign a WR....

So, sign a WR, trade Harvin for a first or second round pick....that's a fair "trade", imo.
perrynoid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

Plus you can either keep him cheap, or trade him, and use the money you would have used on Harvin to sign a WR....

So, sign a WR, trade Harvin for a first or second round pick....that's a fair "trade", imo.

After signing a FA WR, I'd hope the FO would try to get a 2nd this year, and a conditional 4th next year that would be upgraded to a 3rd or 2nd given certain reachable goals, such as playtime or games started. That way, there is less risk for the team acquiring Harvin and (we hope) he plays well for them and nets two 2nd round picks.
disaacs

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering where the "None of the Above" option is in the poll, considering that's what I'd pick.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
LoverInTheCold

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
Overkill on the receivers. If the Vikings land one of the top three WR free agents AND keep Harvin then I expect the Vikings to push receiver down to a 3rd or 4th round need.

I'm gonna go ahead and disagree with a lot of you. And it's not just you rpmwr, your comment is just the one I happened to pick out.

Unless you pull a Matt Millen, there is no such thing as overkill on improving this team's WR corps. What we fielded this past year at WR has to be the worst in the history of the franchise. It was absolutely unacceptable from an NFL coaching staff/front office.

If you pull my posts from last off-season you'll see my threads on the WR and LB situations. It was unacceptable last off-season as well. And they did NOTHING with either position.

In the modern NFL, even in a run first offense, you simply can't sit on the WR position.

This team needs at least 3 young, high caliber players at the position right now. Immediately.

Even if you fix the issues with Percy and re-sign him, and somehow get a top tier talent like Jennings in FA, you absolutely still need to draft a standout player in the 1st or 2nd round this year. With his style of play and attitude, Percy is one big injury or meltdown away from collapse. And Jennings's age and injury concerns may only buy you 3-4 years (valuable time to spend developing a young stud to take over).

You have to re-fuel this position EVERY YEAR, starting this year. This is one instance where you follow what the Packers have done with the position. When one starts to go, you have two more to take his place.
You don't get that luxury by sitting on the position, you get it by taking more than you need.

If you recall last off-season's discussions, while not totally discounting the need, there were quite a few here who didn't believe the situation at WR was as dire as I made it out to be. After this past season, there's little doubt it was.

Adopt-a-Viking: Rhett Ellison

Last edited by LoverInTheCold on Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
tdub

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
I was wondering where the "None of the Above" option is in the poll, considering that's what I'd pick.

Now seems as a good a time as any to elaborate on who you'd like, or whether you'd merely look elsewhere.

I'd like to see Jennings the most. Wallace has the most talent, and as recently as 12-16 months ago was considered one of the games top talents at the position. Part of me wonders how much of Wallace's impact is predicated on Ben escaping the pocket, buying time and scrambling. Ponder scrambles, but its never to buy time really or let something open up down field. Bowe strikes as the classic overpay or let down contract guy, which is one reason I'd look to stay away from him. Welker's great too, but I'd be shocked if he walks, and his skill set is similar to Percy's in they are there best catching the ball within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage.

Sign Jennings, and either let Harvin play out his rookie contract, or trade him. I'd love to have both around, but would be surprised to commit that much money to WRs on a run first team.

The best Harvin trade I still see mentioned is the Harvin and a conditional second or first for Larry Fitzgerald, but I don't make that trade unless I'm convinced the Vikings will have the same QB for the next 2-4 years. This will likely wash out a Jennings signing again because of money committed.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've said all along that if they extend Percy then we wouldn't go out and spend big money on a free agent WR. It's common sense; we don't have that kind of cash.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to have to disagree right back with you LITC. This team can't afford to keep Harvin, sign a big term FA, and then pick a WR in the first round this year. With holes at DT, LB, CB, and possibly a few others it would be irresponsible to do so given our offense. How are you going to get three high profile receivers the ball when you have Adrian Peterson?

Now, I agree that you must "re-fuel" the position as you say, but I think we would be better off spending a 2nd or 3rd round pick every year/every other year at the position (the Packers model). Every single one of their receivers is a 2nd or 3rd round guy.

Jennings 2nd - 2006 draft
Jones 3rd - 2007 draft
Nelson 2nd - 2008 draft
Cobb 2nd - 2011 draft
Thanatos

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
I've said all along that if they extend Percy then we wouldn't go out and spend big money on a free agent WR. It's common sense; we don't have that kind of cash.

It's not common sense at all. Harvin isn't a #1 WR in the NFL. He's very versatile but he does not have the size to play outside. We need an outside target that takes pressure off the underneath routes and against stacking the line. Harvin can't do that because he runs all the underneath routes.

If Harvin had the skillset of a #1 WR then we would be talking differently but Harvin is at his best in the slot. The Vikings need a feature WR.

Look at what the Pats did. They went out and got Brandon Lloyd despite having a good WR in Wes Welker. The Vikings are in that very same position of having an elite slot WR who can't match production on the outside.
sparkyjoe1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
I'm going to have to disagree right back with you LITC. This team can't afford to keep Harvin, sign a big term FA, and then pick a WR in the first round this year. With holes at DT, LB, CB, and possibly a few others it would be irresponsible to do so given our offense. How are you going to get three high profile receivers the ball when you have Adrian Peterson?

Now, I agree that you must "re-fuel" the position as you say, but I think we would be better off spending a 2nd or 3rd round pick every year/every other year at the position (the Packers model). Every single one of their receivers is a 2nd or 3rd round guy.

Jones 3rd - 2007 draft
Nelson 2nd - 2008 draft
Cobb 2nd - 2011 draft

Agreed.
LoverInTheCold

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:

Jones 3rd - 2007 draft
Nelson 2nd - 2008 draft
Cobb 2nd - 2011 draft

I'm fine with that model as long as you're not ignoring highly rated 1st or 2nd round picks just because you think it's our 3rd or 4th need after a FA splash. Taking a couple of stabs at fourth rounders or later every few years doesn't cut it. It's the ridiculous undervaluing of the position as a whole by this front office over the last decade that has gotten us into the situation we're currently facing. Ideally, every position should be re-fueled every year. But that's not realistic and WR is IMO the one position you can't afford to not re-fuel constantly.

IMO, the most realistic, appropriate solution for this team would be to re-sign Percy, sign Brian Hartline and also draft a highly touted prospect in the 1st or 2nd round. That's a pretty good start. But you can't just ignore the position for another 5 years after that. You have to keep going back to that well again and again.

Adopt-a-Viking: Rhett Ellison
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanatos wrote:
rpmwr19 wrote:

It's not common sense at all. Harvin isn't a #1 WR in the NFL. He's very versatile but he does not have the size to play outside. We need an outside target that takes pressure off the underneath routes and against stacking the line. Harvin can't do that because he runs all the underneath routes.

If Harvin had the skillset of a #1 WR then we would be talking differently but Harvin is at his best in the slot. The Vikings need a feature WR.

Look at what the Pats did. They went out and got Brandon Lloyd despite having a good WR in Wes Welker. The Vikings are in that very same position of having an elite slot WR who can't match production on the outside.

My comment was all about money. If we keep Harvin you're going to have to pay him. Even if you don't think he's a #1 wide receiver I can all but guarantee he thinks he's worthy of that kind of pay.

Also... comparing Brandon Lloyd to Dwayne Bowe, Mike Wallace, or Greg Jennings is a poor comparison. Not one of those three is going to sign for 3 years, $12M.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: