Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Our Free Agent Wide Receiver Options
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who is your ideal Free Agent WR for the Vikings?
Mike Wallace
33%
 33%  [ 15 ]
Dwayne Bowe
20%
 20%  [ 9 ]
Greg Jennings
42%
 42%  [ 19 ]
Danny Amendola
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Wes Welker
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 45

vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostRoadStone wrote:
Keeping Harvin and adding someone like Jennings is a good start but this team still needs more help at the position. Jenkins doesn't add anything of substance to the passing game, sure he's a great run blocker and he'll catch the occasional first down, but mainly he's just another body out their that can't get separation. This team still needs someone who can play on the outside, even if they sign Jennings/Wallace/Bowe, because Harvin simply can't do it. He shouldn't have to do it, it's not where he's the most dangerous.

Going into training camp with;

1. Greg Jennings - a true WCO receiver, and veteran leader. Not only will he bring his talents to the field, but he'll be a guy who can help teach the younger receivers the true benefit of running routes and how to find zones in coverage. Not to mention the help he will provide Ponder.

2. Percy Harvin - the X factor. Harvin isn't a conventional receiver, but he's a dynamic player maker. Harvin is an always will be best utilized out of the slot and backfield. It's hard to count him as a receiver.

3. Allen/Patterson - Big explosive players that can get downfield, go over the middle, attack the high ball, and run after the catch. Rookie wide receivers generally don't make huge impacts in their first year, but with Jennings and Harvin commanding the attention of defenses, these guys will be able to do a lot of damage as they will see a lot of simple coverages. Also, by having two other receivers, the rookies won't have to step into the fire.

4. Jarius Wright - a perfect 4th otion, who can get deep, but is alos very pesky on the underneath routes.

5. Stephen Burton - Great special teams player, good run blocker, your perfect 5th receiver.

6. Greg Childs - starts season on PUP.

All of a sudden the Vikings find themselves with an upper tier wide receiving corps. Added to a dynamic running game, and a vastly improving offensive line, this offense now has the personnel to attack any defense in the league, and should be able to keep up with high powered offenses.

Great post, it was a pleasure to read.

Assuming Jennings and Harvin are on the Vikes next year, I dont think it would be necessary to add a round 1 WR. I think there is a lot of depth in round 2 and 3 where the team could look elsehwere in round 1.

Burton is also a more natural #5 WR than say Jenkins or Simpson, since he can cover kicks.

Childs should be placed on PUP, id hate to rush him back.
BigDog74

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
LostRoadStone wrote:
Keeping Harvin and adding someone like Jennings is a good start but this team still needs more help at the position. Jenkins doesn't add anything of substance to the passing game, sure he's a great run blocker and he'll catch the occasional first down, but mainly he's just another body out their that can't get separation. This team still needs someone who can play on the outside, even if they sign Jennings/Wallace/Bowe, because Harvin simply can't do it. He shouldn't have to do it, it's not where he's the most dangerous.

Going into training camp with;

1. Greg Jennings - a true WCO receiver, and veteran leader. Not only will he bring his talents to the field, but he'll be a guy who can help teach the younger receivers the true benefit of running routes and how to find zones in coverage. Not to mention the help he will provide Ponder.

2. Percy Harvin - the X factor. Harvin isn't a conventional receiver, but he's a dynamic player maker. Harvin is an always will be best utilized out of the slot and backfield. It's hard to count him as a receiver.

3. Allen/Patterson - Big explosive players that can get downfield, go over the middle, attack the high ball, and run after the catch. Rookie wide receivers generally don't make huge impacts in their first year, but with Jennings and Harvin commanding the attention of defenses, these guys will be able to do a lot of damage as they will see a lot of simple coverages. Also, by having two other receivers, the rookies won't have to step into the fire.

4. Jarius Wright - a perfect 4th otion, who can get deep, but is alos very pesky on the underneath routes.

5. Stephen Burton - Great special teams player, good run blocker, your perfect 5th receiver.

6. Greg Childs - starts season on PUP.

All of a sudden the Vikings find themselves with an upper tier wide receiving corps. Added to a dynamic running game, and a vastly improving offensive line, this offense now has the personnel to attack any defense in the league, and should be able to keep up with high powered offenses.

Great post, it was a pleasure to read.

Assuming Jennings and Harvin are on the Vikes next year, I dont think it would be necessary to add a round 1 WR. I think there is a lot of depth in round 2 and 3 where the team could look elsehwere in round 1.

Burton is also a more natural #5 WR than say Jenkins or Simpson, since he can cover kicks.

Childs should be placed on PUP, id hate to rush him back.

Couldn't agree more. I don't think we'd go after Allen or Patterson, but most likely a 2nd round guy. Patton or someone else.

If that were to happen we'd basically be building this year's Packers WR corp. Jennings out wide, Cobb/Percy as a "Flex" WR/RB, Nelson/Patton out wide and a solid 4th guy in Jones/Wright. You would find no complaints from this guy if that was the case.

I still don't think percy stays though, but that is more of a gut feeling than anything.
joru1000

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy with: 1) Harvin, 2) Allen/Patterson/Hunter, 3) Wright, 4) Jenkins and then Rudolph at TE going into the 2013 season. I think trying to keep Harvin is imperative. We can't do a 1 step forward, 2 steps backwards.

Quick question. Assuming we keep Harvin but don't sign any other WR in the offseason, what would you guys do if we drafted Keenan Allen at 23, but then Patterson or Hunter were somehow there at our pick in the 2nd? Would you draft WRs with our first 2 picks?
Eric dunn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joru1000 wrote:
I'm happy with: 1) Harvin, 2) Allen/Patterson/Hunter, 3) Wright, 4) Jenkins and then Rudolph at TE going into the 2013 season. I think trying to keep Harvin is imperative. We can't do a 1 step forward, 2 steps backwards.

Quick question. Assuming we keep Harvin but don't sign any other WR in the offseason, what would you guys do if we drafted Keenan Allen at 23, but then Patterson or Hunter were somehow there at our pick in the 2nd? Would you draft WRs with our first 2 picks?

Then i would hope the Vikings are calling around to WR needy teams trying trade back, to pick up maybe an extra 3rd or 4th round selection.

To me, if we keep Harvin. We only need to draft 1 WR early.

If Harvin is traded i would reconsider drafting WRs in the 1st and 2nd rounds. Assuming we dont sign anyone.

#TEDDYTHEVIKING
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Heavydan85

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joru1000 wrote:

If It were those two I don't think I'd wait a minute to add one more to the team. I personally think we need two starting wrs soon.
Edit: unless someone was willing to give up a something better in exchange...or maybe if a lb or dt i liked fell

Thanks to Jgoldiscool for the sig
PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you sign a legit starting WR, you need to draft defense early and often. It's not like this is a top flight defense, and their best players are all older players.....I said Mike Wallace, but I'd be happy with Wallace, Bowe, Jennings. I'd be somewhat happy with two more mediocre WRs, on the hope that one of them works out.
VikeSince70

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with Mike Wallace for his ability to stretch the field. With Wallace having just the threat to go deep that would keep the defense honest. Wallace and Harvin would make a great tandem. I also beleive that Ponder would work on his deep ball much more. If Ponder throws the deep ball like he did to Wright that one time Peterson could very well break the record!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted for Jennings. Jennings would provide a solid #1 option as others have stated as well as a veteran presence. However....if we resign Harvin I believe we should look to the draft for a WR. Right now Patterson is my guy, I feel there is something special with this kid he is very elusive and seems to have great field vision.

If we signed a FA WR (whomever) and kept Percy AND drafted a WR early that is too much IMO. We have other needs that can be addressed. I know I echo other people's posts but I guess this is just me agreeing with those folks.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VikeManDan wrote:
I voted for Jennings. Jennings would provide a solid #1 option as others have stated as well as a veteran presence. However....if we resign Harvin I believe we should look to the draft for a WR. Right now Patterson is my guy, I feel there is something special with this kid he is very elusive and seems to have great field vision.

If we signed a FA WR (whomever) and kept Percy AND drafted a WR early that is too much IMO. We have other needs that can be addressed. I know I echo other people's posts but I guess this is just me agreeing with those folks.

Agreed on the 2nd part. If you add Jennings and keep Harvin, why use a first rd pick on another WR for a team that wants to use a lot of 2 TE sets and has a pretty good #3 in Wright.
Thanatos

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
VikeManDan wrote:

Agreed on the 2nd part. If you add Jennings and keep Harvin, why use a first rd pick on another WR for a team that wants to use a lot of 2 TE sets and has a pretty good #3 in Wright.

I'm sure that Ponder would like somebody over 6'1 to throw to that is a WR. I'd draft a WR as well because Jennings is currently 29 years old (I believe) and that's near the age where WR's really start to fall off. I like Patterson but I think he's too much in the mold of Harvin/Wright to draft. I would still like to draft Robert Woods, Hopkins or somebody that could provide a bigger target but still has some nice WR skills.

I want a receiving TE as well, or at least somebody who can do both blocking and receiving. I don't think Carlson is going to cut it but I think we are going to be stuck with him. I hope we can find a diamond in the rough in the draft or FA but I don't expect to get a Jared Cook or Martellus Bennett.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're worried about a 29 year old WR falling off, then why even bother signing Jennings to a big contract?

If Jennings and Harvin are on the team next year, the team doesnt need to spend a first rd pick to add a taller WR. There are a few players in rd 2 like Hamilton or Patton; allowing the Vikes to focus on adding more talent to the defense in rd 1.
Thanatos

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
If you're worried about a 29 year old WR falling off, then why even bother signing Jennings to a big contract?

If Jennings and Harvin are on the team next year, the team doesnt need to spend a first rd pick to add a taller WR. There are a few players in rd 2 like Hamilton or Patton; allowing the Vikes to focus on adding more talent to the defense in rd 1.

Never said round 1, I'd target in round 2. I believe the Vikings are going to trade back regardless of whether they get a WR in FA or not. I don't think anybody on the board at 23 currently would fit the Vikings' need unless Allen slips to that point.

I'm not worried about Jennings until he hits 32 years old. That is the middling years of the contract, I want to be able to develop a replacement for him by that point. Who knows though? He could have longevity until those years much like Reggie Wayne...
HighHopes

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it'd be hilarious if this team had two pairs of receivers that played with each other in college.

XBL/PSN: Chainedsniper
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HighHopes wrote:
I think it'd be hilarious if this team had two pairs of receivers that played with each other in college.

Are you suggesting to draft Patterson and Hunter this year?
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HighHopes wrote:

didn't Peterson and Loadholt play together too?

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: