Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rams interested in former Cowboys DC Rob Ryan
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
green24

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice hire.
The J.R.S.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTF? This guy's attitude and on field demeanor are the exact opposite of Fisher (Calm, cool, collected).

I'm not excited about this hire. The Stash knows better than me, so I'll play along though.

As for the guy who compared JL-55's new role to that of Sean Lee, I think he can handle it mentally. He's done it before.

Real sports fans do not condone ESPN.
Wr80

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://imageshack.us/a/img822/281/1349148851665.gif
yrba1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of me is worried, but hopefully he'll manage. I think we might see some of his 3-4 packages, run a hybrid defense like the Ravens.
Ramsfan28

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummmm...interesting....I honestly did not see this one coming. I'll try to keep the optimism in mind and hope that he really respects Fishers' philosophy (which I'm sure he will) and run an awesome defense. I can't see the Rams switching to a 3-4 though. The Rams have 4-3 talent, I don't see him messing around with that.

Adopt-a-Ram
CB Janoris Jenkins
9 TKL, 1 FF

ViolentMonk71 wrote:

We're football fans...reactionary, delusional, and passionate...
StLunatic88

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im still not sure how to react to this.

But I do keep coming back to alot of things that were said about us hiring Greg Williams, about now he has a guy to keep him in check, he has someone to answer to in Fisher, and that might give us all the best parts of Ryan as well as limit the less desirable aspects.

I like the idea of our defense having an identity, having an attitude, even more of an edge than we finished the season with.

The one thing I do worry about is how he will run a 4-3, or if he will run one. Im not sure of the philosophies that he will bring, the type of Safeties or LBs that he will want.

Could he come in and want to change over to a 34 defense? I think we could do it, but it wouldnt be best for the talent we have. Chris Long is one of the best, if not the best, Left DE in the year. I think the Long from 4 years ago could have transitioned to a Stand-Up OLB, heck I think he would have been pretty darn good, but not now. Not sure him adding weight to anchor as a 5-tech either. Quinn could obviously be a Rush OLB, Landford & Brockers would be great 5-techs, and JL could handle the WILB spot as he is the QB of the D. So to make the point, we would need a NT (hard to find), a SILB (Thumper), and atleast 1 safety, as well as a bunch of new depth guys. We should have some packages, but not a base.
chris00cm

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is he a top coordinator? No. Is he one of the best guys available? I think so. People were praying for Lovie Smith but he commands a better situation than d-coordinator on a team with a defensive head coach.

Ryan has the experience everyone was craving for. Hard to find someone who has ran as many defenses in recent years.

Xbox Live Gamertag: Chris Sanity
chris00cm

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing, Im pretty sure Rob has ran a 4-3 defense with the Raiders. I feel like people dont know this.

Xbox Live Gamertag: Chris Sanity
DerekBrink

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StLunatic88 wrote:

But I do keep coming back to alot of things that were said about us hiring Greg Williams, about now he has a guy to keep him in check, he has someone to answer to in Fisher, and that might give us all the best parts of Ryan as well as limit the less desirable aspects.

I like the idea of our defense having an identity, having an attitude, even more of an edge than we finished the season with.

The one thing I do worry about is how he will run a 4-3, or if he will run one. Im not sure of the philosophies that he will bring, the type of Safeties or LBs that he will want.

Could he come in and want to change over to a 34 defense? I think we could do it, but it wouldnt be best for the talent we have. Chris Long is one of the best, if not the best, Left DE in the year. I think the Long from 4 years ago could have transitioned to a Stand-Up OLB, heck I think he would have been pretty darn good, but not now. Not sure him adding weight to anchor as a 5-tech either. Quinn could obviously be a Rush OLB, Landford & Brockers would be great 5-techs, and JL could handle the WILB spot as he is the QB of the D. So to make the point, we would need a NT (hard to find), a SILB (Thumper), and atleast 1 safety, as well as a bunch of new depth guys. We should have some packages, but not a base.

Long played 3-4 DE in college and I'm sure that's where he'd play.

Either way we are most likely not moving to the 3-4. Ryan's most success as a defensive coordinator came while running the 4-3 while in Oakland.

Does anyone know what kind of coverage scheme he runs?

Personally I hope he adapts to our personnel. Which, seeing how, he's ran both the 3-4 and 4-3 he seems open to doing.
Hoj398

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you guys think this will have an affect on our draft strategy in the upcoming draft? i also believe he will run a 4-3 defense.
jrry32

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DerekBrink wrote:
StLunatic88 wrote:

Long played 3-4 DE in college and I'm sure that's where he'd play.

Either way we are most likely not moving to the 3-4. Ryan's most success as a defensive coordinator came while running the 4-3 while in Oakland.

Does anyone know what kind of coverage scheme he runs?

Personally I hope he adapts to our personnel. Which, seeing how, he's ran both the 3-4 and 4-3 he seems open to doing.

Long is a 4-3 DE through and through but if he was put at 3-4 DE, he'd struggle. We'd get gashed in the run game to his side.

Long played 3-4 DE in college because he's at his best with his hand down...but college is very different than the NFL.

Our personnel is suited for a 4-3 scheme. Fisher is a 4-3 coach.

As for his cover schemes, it varies depending on the personnel. I'll give him credit on that.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
DerekBrink

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoj398 wrote:
Do you guys think this will have an affect on our draft strategy in the upcoming draft? i also believe he will run a 4-3 defense.

not really, especially if he runs a 4-3. Our needs will still be WR, RT, OG, S and OLB whether he's DC or not.
RamRod

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Ryan says he's on a beach and has spoken with nobody.
Jonezy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like most, wouldn't know how to react. I wouldn't mind some 34 packages. He runs a good 46 as well. Don't see it much. Langford will benefit lol Smile I wonder who would play our other ILB, Dunbar? Sure as heck wouldn't work as a 34 OLB

^Delphi83^ (Sig)
<El Ramster.< (Avatar)
[quote="norcalraider510"]
Rams front 4 is going to be amazing next year[/quote]
NVRamsFan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange that this hasn't been confirmed by ESPN or NFL network or anything else. Just a report from the NY Post that I can see.

Then there's this
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000125145/article/rob-ryan-ive-talked-to-nobody-on-st-louis-rams-job

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: