Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

oldman9er's Vikings offseason/draft for 2013
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  

So really, would you be happy enough ???
Yes! Overall, I like it.. good job!
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
Meh... I could tolerate it, I guess.
53%
 53%  [ 8 ]
Really not a fan.. get the heck outta here!
26%
 26%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 15

oldman9er

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: oldman9er's Vikings offseason/draft for 2013 Reply with quote

Hey there, gang. For those that don't get over to the GM Mock section often (and for those that do), I wanted to present my attempt at GM-ing the Vikings in the offseason. This is what I finished up with. Let me know what you think.. whether in detail or just a vote.

Good luck in the offseason, and I'll be seeing you over here from time to time.

Free Agents :

The Vikings still have questions and doubts about young Christian Ponder taking the next step, so they bring in some quality insurance to compete for the starting QB position. Alex Smith has had a top 10 passer rating over the last two seasons. He is very efficient, and makes smart decisions with the ball. His work ethic and drive to succeed is impeccable. Harbaugh wanted to move on with "his project QB", so Alex was snubbed out of SF despite playing well. Alex is now eager to get away from the WC and the 49ers. In his last 38 games, Alex has put up 49 TDs to 20 INTs, and a 94.4 passer rating. He will likely replace Ponder, or at the very least, provide the Vikings with quality depth at the QB position.

The Vikings are pleased to also boost their OL by bringing in the young and versatile Alex Boone. Boone has experience and has played very well at RG last season. He has also filled in and played very well at both LT and RT when needed. Boone has excellent power and plays nasty in the trenches. He has transformed his excess lard into muscle through hard training over the years and his quickness has greatly improved. Boone will be an instant upgrade on the OL... opening up rush lanes for AP as well as keeping his QB upright.

The Vikings are pleased to add Ricky Jean-Francois to the roster. RJF spent the last 4 years learning from one of the best DL coaches in the NFL, and was often spoken of as "a starter." He bulked up to 310 lbs to play NT in the 3-4. He now has a very stout anchor vs the run, yet still has the quickness to be a threat to opposing QBs. RJF plays with passion and works incredibly hard each offseason to improve his game. This 26 year old veteran will fit in very well next to the ageless Kevin Williams, and is a substantial upgrade to both Guion and Evans.

2013 Draft Picks

With the #18 overall pick in the 2013 NFL Draft....
The Minnesota Vikings select...

Not much explanation needed. The Vikes need a quality WR to complement Percy Harvin and give Smith +/or Ponder a legit weapon in the passing game. Allen has the size and skills to start right away and be an impact. Welcome aboard, Keenan!

With the #83 overall pick in the 2013 NFL Draft....

Snubbing the BPA approach a bit here, but I'm at a point where I really need to make sure I acquire the right MLB for my scheme... enter Kevin Reddick. I feel Reddick will impress at the NFL Combine and will therefore move up draft boards. Reddick has the sideline to sideline speed, the physical tackling, and the coverage ability that Minnesota will really thrive on in the middle. On top of that, he has loads of playing experience and I feel optimistic of Reddick being more NFL ready than most in year 1. Welcome to Minnesota, Kevin!

With the #99 overall pick in the 2013 NFL Draft....

The time of Vikings QBs having underwhelming WR options comes to an end now. Minnesota retains Harvin, drafts Keenan Allen and now Aaron Dobson, and has a decent rotation of vets Mike Jenkins, Jerome Simpson, and young speedster Jarius Wright. This passing offense will be forcing defenses to play more honestly... and Adrian Peterson gives a wicked thumbs up to that.

With the #123 overall pick in the 2013 NFL Draft....

Skilled in both man and zone coverage, Taylor's a very underrated prospect. He is quick, scrappy, and physical on the outside. Winfield is playing well, but very likely on his last season. Chris Cook and Josh Robinson are promising CBs, but could use a young stud like Taylor to push them for playing time.

With the #164 overall pick in the 2013 NFL Draft....

Gotta go with some great value here with Kenjon Barner, and feel much better about the RB depth, if God forbid Adrian Peterson has to miss any playing time. AP is well-rounded perfection, and Gerhart brings the power. Now it is time to complement them with the lightning that Barner can bring. He has exceptional speed, and can catch well out of the backfield. Welcome to Minnesota, Kenjon.

With the #208 overall pick in the 2013 NFL Draft....

For the final Vikings pick, I select a LB that I'd have been content with a round or two ago. Lawrence has the instincts, range, and shows the ability to cover as well as disengage blocks to make plays. He can add quality depth until he's ready to take on a starting role.

* Draft Selections
* Players via trade

QB - Alex Smith, Christian Ponder, Joe Webb
RB - Adrian Peterson, Toby Gerhart, Kenjon Barner, Matt Asiata
FB - Jerome Felton

TE - Kyle Rudolph, John Carlson, Rhett Ellison
WR - Percy Harvin, Keenan Allen, Michael Jenkins,
....... Jarius Wright, Aaron Dobson, Jerome Simpson

LT - Matt Kalil, Charlie Johnson
LG - Geoff Schwartz, Demarcus Love
OC - John Sullivan, Brandon Fusco
RG - Alex Boone
RT - Phil Loadholt, Troy Kropog

RE - Jared Allen, Everson Griffen
RDT - Ricky Jean-Francois, Fred Evans, Letroy Guion
LDT - Kevin Williams, Christian Ballard
LE - Brian Robison, D'Aundre Reed

WLB - Erin Henderson, Marvin Mitchell, Cameron Lawrence
MLB - Kevin Reddick, Audie Cole
SLB - Chad Greenway, Ty McKenzie

LCB - Josh Robinson, Brandon Burton
RCB - Chris Cook, Jamar Taylor, A.J. Jefferson
NCB - Antoine Winfield, Marcus Sherels

FS - Harrison Smith, Jamarca Sanford
SS - Mistral Raymond, Robert Blanton

LS - Cullen Loeffler
K - Blair Walsh
P - Chris Kluwe

Practice Squad -
OL / Kevin Murphy, WR / Chris Summers, WR / Greg Childs, RB / Joe Banyard,
DE / George Johnson, DT / Chase Baker, CB / Bobby Felder,

Transactions :

SF: QB / Alex Smith + OG / Alex Boone + #123
for:
MIN: #49 and #99

PIT: #83
for:
MIN: LB / Jasper Brinkley + #111, #146, #177

SF: DT / Ricky Jean-Francois + #99
for
MIN: #80

The Vikings release :

QB / McLeod Bethel-Thompson
OL / Mark Asper
OL / Joe Berger
WR / Devin Aromashadou
LB / Larry Dean

___
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good mock, you picked a lot of players i like. Though I can see your 49er influence Wink

Jean-Francois is a player i like as a potential 1 technique DT. I am not a big fan of Boone at RG, his height worries me. Not sure I would want a 6-8 RG.

Allen, Reddick and Dobson would be a decent draft and I like the selection of Jamar Taylor as a potential nickel CB.

I am not a fan of trading for Alex Smith. Ponder will be the unquestioned starter, its really webb that needs to feel pressured.

Nice attempt from an outsider, dont be a stranger!
AQuintus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice effort, but trading any amount of value for Smith is an F- grade from me.
chuck44

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Good mock, you picked a lot of players i like. Though I can see your 49er influence Wink

Jean-Francois is a player i like as a potential 1 technique DT. I am not a big fan of Boone at RG, his height worries me. Not sure I would want a 6-8 RG.
Allen, Reddick and Dobson would be a decent draft and I like the selection of Jamar Taylor as a potential nickel CB.

I am not a fan of trading for Alex Smith. Ponder will be the unquestioned starter, its really webb that needs to feel pressured.

you realize boone was an all pro guard this year right..he was a beast..he is 6 7 not 6 8...and he plays low....boone would be a great addittion..hes got a nasty streak to him...my nephew knew him at ohio state..met the guy a few times very polite and respectful
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuck44 wrote:
my nephew knew him at ohio state..met the guy a few times very polite and respectful

i'd rather our linemen be rude and insulting!

Very Happy

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuck44 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

you realize boone was an all pro guard this year right..he was a beast..he is 6 7 not 6 8...and he plays low....boone would be a great addittion..hes got a nasty streak to him...my nephew knew him at ohio state..met the guy a few times very polite and respectful

Was his success a product of his own ability or was it an ideal situation. Look at the talent around him. Sometimes a player who plays well with one team doesnt elsewhere. I guess I question his ability at that height and given Ponder's lack of height, I think its a potential concern for the Vkings passing game.
Nzd07

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get why everyone's bashing the Smith trade? Are people that confident in ponder?

Anyways, the draft is pretty good though I like Patterson more than I do Allen.

I respect your franchise a lot and hope you guys clobber the Pack. Good luck this weekend!

Very Happy

Pull your 84 jerseys out
Adopt a T-Wolf: Ricky Rubio APG: 9.6 SPG: 3.09 RPG: 4.8
Mattwaukee wrote:
If I'm taking players for next year I'm taking Cobb over anyone not named Johnson.
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely presented.
Overall, I like a fair bit of what you did.
The biggest negative for me, is trading for Alex Smith (what we give up).
I would be very opposed to trading valuable picks for him.
If SF wants to cut bait, I will go after him with cash, but I would not trade nice picks for him.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nzd07 wrote:
I don't get why everyone's bashing the Smith trade? Are people that confident in ponder?

I respect your franchise a lot and hope you guys clobber the Pack. Good luck this weekend!

Very Happy

It doesnt matter if we have confidence in Ponder since we arent the decision makers. Frazier and Spielman are and all indications are that Ponder will be the unquestioned starter. Therefore the team needs to clearly upgrade the backup spot. Is it really worth trading picks for Smith, when the vikes wont be in the market for a QB who could potentially start. I think its unlikely. They could puruse Smith if he is released, but I dont think the Vikes will be bringing in competition. I get the feeling that the staff saw enough from Ponder to feel confident in him moving forward.
Nzd07

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Nzd07 wrote:

Very Happy

It doesnt matter if we have confidence in Ponder since we arent the decision makers. Frazier and Spielman are and all indications are that Ponder will be the unquestioned starter. Therefore the team needs to clearly upgrade the backup spot. Is it really worth trading picks for Smith, when the vikes wont be in the market for a QB who could potentially start. I think its unlikely. They could puruse Smith if he is released, but I dont think the Vikes will be bringing in competition. I get the feeling that the staff saw enough from Ponder to feel confident in him moving forward.

I suppose you're right. If we didn't pull Ponder during that first GB game we probably never will.

Pull your 84 jerseys out
Adopt a T-Wolf: Ricky Rubio APG: 9.6 SPG: 3.09 RPG: 4.8
Mattwaukee wrote:
If I'm taking players for next year I'm taking Cobb over anyone not named Johnson.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least for a year. I think its safe to say that Ponder will get that year to prove his worth. Its really a make or break season. If Ponder cant show steady progression and show more positive traits consistently, my guess is that the Vikes would then consider there options in 2014.

I would ideally spend another offseason building around Ponder and adding to the defense rather than trading picks for Smith. Plus that contract.
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be okay drafting QB in the late 4th round with our pick, if one fell.
Other then that, I dont see us using/moving any of the higher picks on the QB position.

Ponder will be given another year, if he does not progress, we could look at QB in R1 of 2014 draft.

Backup QB is a potential need, but thats a cash signing

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nzd07 wrote:

No, but I am that doubtful about Smith.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nzd07 wrote:
I don't get why everyone's bashing the Smith trade?

why trade for a backup QB?

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
vikes635

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not huge on allen but we do need wr help. also maybe i overloooked it but didnt see what we gave up for those players? i would love to have boon and reddick was a very nice pick. over all im gonna vote the middle option but very fun to read and looks very well your welcomed to share your thought here anytime

Rip Sean Taylor

PROPS TO Joe_is_the_best for the Sig

Adopt A Viking= Kyle Rudolph Rec=5 Targets=10 Drops= Penalties= tot yds=69 TD=1 Lng=21

Pre Season= 4 catches 1 drop 44 yards

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: