Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Free Agency Rumor/Signings Thread III
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 79, 80, 81  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RatherBeHuntin'

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone explain to me the infatuation with Margus Hunt and Marcus Lattimore as they pertain to the Cowboys and 3rd/4th round picks.

Margus Hunt has very impressive measurables but is extremely raw. He is also very, very old for a rookie. He will be 26 before training camp. I realize his upside is high, however with how raw he is it might take 3 years for him to realize his potential, if he does at all. By that time he will be almost 30. I just can't personally justify spending higher than a 5th round pick on him.

Marcus Lattimore was/might still be, a supreme talent when healthy. Dallas needs a RB, but we need a backup to Murray. Why does it make sense to spend a 4th or 5th round pick on a back who may never be close to what he once was and also has a significant injury history? We need some depth at the position but does it make sense to backup one injury prone player with another? I just don't think that this team can afford to take such a chance on a player who might not be able to be counted on this year, if at all. We need a back who can immediately backup Murray and don't have the roster depth to gamble on "wild cards."

I bring up these two players because they seem to be popular mock picks by a number of fans to Dallas. I honestly can't stand seeing either of them earlier than the 5th/6th round if at all, due to the risks involved and our current lack of depth. Am I just crazy or are these terrible picks for our team to invest in?
Football Mensa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RatherBeHuntin' wrote:
Can someone explain to me the infatuation with Margus Hunt and Marcus Lattimore as they pertain to the Cowboys and 3rd/4th round picks.

Margus Hunt has very impressive measurables but is extremely raw. He is also very, very old for a rookie. He will be 26 before training camp. I realize his upside is high, however with how raw he is it might take 3 years for him to realize his potential, if he does at all. By that time he will be almost 30. I just can't personally justify spending higher than a 5th round pick on him.

Marcus Lattimore was/might still be, a supreme talent when healthy. Dallas needs a RB, but we need a backup to Murray. Why does it make sense to spend a 4th or 5th round pick on a back who may never be close to what he once was and also has a significant injury history? We need some depth at the position but does it make sense to backup one injury prone player with another? I just don't think that this team can afford to take such a chance on a player who might not be able to be counted on this year, if at all. We need a back who can immediately backup Murray and don't have the roster depth to gamble on "wild cards."

I bring up these two players because they seem to be popular mock picks by a number of fans to Dallas. I honestly can't stand seeing either of them earlier than the 5th/6th round if at all, due to the risks involved and our current lack of depth. Am I just crazy or are these terrible picks for our team to invest in?

Hunt would be a dumb pick. Period. We need to try and draft players who don't have an injury history as well.
Felix=Fast!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw that the Vikes may be willing to trade Gerhart for a late rd pick...

Is he a bust or injuries or what?
buckwild

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felix=Fast! wrote:

No, he just sucks and is injury prone.

Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
Felix=Fast!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buckwild wrote:
Felix=Fast! wrote:

No, he just sucks and is injury prone.
ya didnt really say i wanted him just havent watched him and its not very often that a team is willing to part with a 2nd rd pick for nothing unless he sucks
Nextyearfordaboyz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RatherBeHuntin' wrote:

I agree on Hunt. Don't really see how you can draft a raw 26 year olds itch all the holes we have.

For Lattimore, there is a school of thought that injury proneness cannot be predicted. Meaning that it's very difficult to say that a couple of injuries while playing a violent sport aren't just random chance. Plus, there is also precedent for runningbacks who suffer nasty injuries but still have long careers. Frank Gore and Willis McGahee being two of them. So I can understand the interest in him for a late round pick.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:
RatherBeHuntin' wrote:

I agree on Hunt. Don't really see how you can draft a raw 26 year olds itch all the holes we have.

For Lattimore, there is a school of thought that injury proneness cannot be predicted. Meaning that it's very difficult to say that a couple of injuries while playing a violent sport aren't just random chance. Plus, there is also precedent for runningbacks who suffer nasty injuries but still have long careers. Frank Gore and Willis McGahee being two of them. So I can understand the interest in him for a late round pick.

Boyz, Lee was injured a lot in college as was Murray. So far that continues to hold true. Totally sucks we have had buzzards luck regarding those players.
GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think people have unrealistic expectations on knee injuries, due to Adrian Peterson, and Willis Mcgahee. Who knows if Lattimore will ever be able to play again, and to spend a 3rd on him, I think is too risky. If his medical exams go well, and the progress look good, that I'd be more willing to take a chance.
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shawn Zobel ‏@ShawnZobel_DHQ
Quote:

Working on my profile of Princeton DE Mike Catapano. He reminds me of STL DE Chris Long. Almost identical build, motor, skilled pass rusher.

For what it's worth. This is why I have included him in all my recent mocks. Plus Redballs Alma Mater.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
JWingate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Quote:

Working on my profile of Princeton DE Mike Catapano. He reminds me of STL DE Chris Long. Almost identical build, motor, skilled pass rusher.

For what it's worth. This is why I have included him in all my recent mocks. Plus Redballs Alma Mater.

Who is Shawn Zobel?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JWingate wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Quote:

Who is Shawn Zobel?

Someone was calling him out on twitter recently, calling him a fraud. Not sure whats up, never really seen his stuff

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JWingate wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Quote:

Who is Shawn Zobel?

What you want to be. Only official.

http://draftheadquarters.com/

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
JWingate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
JWingate wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Quote:

Who is Shawn Zobel?

He looks like Seth Rogan's younger more mature brother. Comparing me to him is like comparing Jeff Gordon to Ricky Bobby...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
JWingate wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Quote:

Who is Shawn Zobel?

Completely admire Zobel's work ethic. The dude is a hustler and doesn't let people get him discouraged.

Having said that, I don't like him as a draft source. I don't think he has any qualifications to be considered an authority on this stuff. He has "sources", that I don't think can be trusted.

He's like a Todd McShay without the personality or resources/connections that come with working for ESPN.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
JWingate wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Quote:

Who is Shawn Zobel?

Completely admire Zobel's work ethic. The dude is a hustler and doesn't let people get him discouraged.

Having said that, I don't like him as a draft source. I don't think he has any qualifications to be considered an authority on this stuff. He has "sources", that I don't think can be trusted.

He's like a Todd McShay without the personality or resources/connections that come with working for ESPN.

Ha see TO7, at least I am qualified.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 79, 80, 81  Next
Page 18 of 81

Jump to: