Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Free Agency Rumor/Signings Thread III
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 78, 79, 80, 81  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Desperado82

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

htfryar wrote:
WizardHawk wrote:
Quote:
The Chicago Tribune believes 2011 first-rounder Gabe Carimi is on the Bears' roster bubble.
The Bears appear to have given up on Carimi at tackle, leaving him to compete for reserve guard duties. Sidelined for a majority of his rookie season by a knee injury, Carimi was an absolute train-wreck as a sophomore. Failing to survive final cuts would solidify Carimi as one of the bigger draft busts in recent memory.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/261658/bears-2011-1st-rounder-gabe-carimi-on-bubble

If he gets cut, I'd bring him in ASAP. I really liked him coming out of college and thought he had a chance to be pretty darn good. I wonder how much the injury during his rookie year screwed up his development with the Bears?

I'd be weary of putting all the chips on him, so to speak, but it couldn't hurt to give the guy a look during preseason if he were released.

^^^Deadpulse
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
htfryar wrote:
WizardHawk wrote:
Quote:
The Chicago Tribune believes 2011 first-rounder Gabe Carimi is on the Bears' roster bubble.
The Bears appear to have given up on Carimi at tackle, leaving him to compete for reserve guard duties. Sidelined for a majority of his rookie season by a knee injury, Carimi was an absolute train-wreck as a sophomore. Failing to survive final cuts would solidify Carimi as one of the bigger draft busts in recent memory.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/261658/bears-2011-1st-rounder-gabe-carimi-on-bubble

If he gets cut, I'd bring him in ASAP. I really liked him coming out of college and thought he had a chance to be pretty darn good. I wonder how much the injury during his rookie year screwed up his development with the Bears?

I'd be weary of putting all the chips on him, so to speak, but it couldn't hurt to give the guy a look during preseason if he were released.

Remember this kid being atop many a wish list around here, including my own.

Ace5 wrote:
OH GOD ITS ALL OVER THE WALLS.
Desperado82

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WizardHawk wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:

I know I liked him. I'd just be worried about him being given up on so quickly, especially with the concerns the Bears have had on the OL the last two seasons.

^^^Deadpulse
htfryar

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
WizardHawk wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:

I know I liked him. I'd just be worried about him being given up on so quickly, especially with the concerns the Bears have had on the OL the last two seasons.

I wouldn't put all my chips in that one basket, but bringing him for a look can't hurt. He's more talented than Doug Free.

Not saying it would work out again, but the last time the Bears had a rookie RT who got hurt and then struggled before being cut, it kinda worked out for us. Maybe we can catch that Marc Colombo lightning in a bottle again.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
Desperado82

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

htfryar wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:
WizardHawk wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:

I wouldn't put all my chips in that one basket, but bringing him for a look can't hurt. He's more talented than Doug Free.

Not saying it would work out again, but the last time the Bears had a rookie RT who got hurt and then struggled before being cut, it kinda worked out for us. Maybe we can catch that Marc Colombo lightning in a bottle again.

It's worth a shot Laughing

^^^Deadpulse
Nextyearfordaboyz

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

htfryar wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:
WizardHawk wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:

Thank god we didn't trade away from Tyron Smith and draft him like 80% of this forum wanted.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:
htfryar wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:
WizardHawk wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:

Thank god we didn't trade away from Tyron Smith and draft him like 80% of this forum wanted.

I was part of that 80%. I liked Tyron Smith, but wanted us to trade down and take Carimi and then someone else with the pick we got for trading down. Glad we didn't do it.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
bigtec8700

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

htfryar wrote:
Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:
htfryar wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:
WizardHawk wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:

I was part of that 80%. I liked Tyron Smith, but wanted us to trade down and take Carimi and then someone else with the pick we got for trading down. Glad we didn't do it.

Me too, the drafts are funny sometimes to look back on. Could you imagine if we did trade down and tyron was a stud on someone else's team! These cowboys are drafting alright in my book over last couple years.
Nextyearfordaboyz

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always subscribed to the idea that you don't trade away from a great player. Tackle was a huge need, and we had the opportunity to draft a player our scouts deemed as the best at his position. I was happy then that we didn't take the second rounder from Jacksonville, and I'm happy now.

It's also the same reason I was skeptical about trading away from Sharrif Floyd this year.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESPN Insider, NFC East biggest concerns:

Quote:
Dallas Cowboys: Safety
The Cowboys went into the draft with clear weaknesses along the offensive line and in the secondary, and they addressed each of those needs in the first three rounds of the draft. Normally, that's enough to get a team a passing grade from draftniks and beat writers, but Dallas' draft-day effort was universally panned both for the players selected and the ones passed on. The catcalls began with the first-round selection of Wisconsin center Travis Frederick, who was considered a third-round talent at best right up until he picked up the phone and heard Jerry Jones' voice. After watching enough tape of Cowboys center Phil Costa getting driven into the backfield, you can sympathize with Jones for wanting a stouter anchor in the middle of the line, and Wisconsin linemen have been a pretty safe bet since Barry Alvarez was roaming the sidelines, so it's certainly possible the pick will look better come September.

The problem is that what the Cowboys needed more than anything was a safety, and two of the top three prospects, Florida's Matt Elam and Florida International's Jonathan Cyprien, came off the board with the next two picks. Dallas finished the season with a weighted pass defense DVOA of 12.5 percent (30th), and the defense finished dead last in DVOA when covering tight ends. (DVOA is Football Outsiders' defense-adjusted value over average metric, explained here.)

The Cowboys have brought in Monte Kiffin as defensive coordinator to run his patented Tampa 2 defense, a scheme that requires safeties who can hold up in coverage. In light of those facts, not spending an early pick on a safety was a bit of a head-scratcher. The safety Dallas eventually drafted, Georgia Southern's J.J. Wilcox, is a small-school project with minimal experience at the position. As it stands, Barry Church and Matt Johnson will open the season as arguably the league's most undistinguished safety pairing.

Member of the Tank for Jameis Winston Fan Club #Lamest4Jameis
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:
htfryar wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:
WizardHawk wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:

I can name three people right off the bat who did not want that to happen: you, me, and MH.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
cowboyfanin2890

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:
htfryar wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:
WizardHawk wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:

I can name three people right off the bat who did not want that to happen: you, me, and MH.

I did not want us to trade either, but I wanted JJ Watt instead of Smith. I concede even as good as Watt is right now, Dallas is much better off with having at least the 1 above average lineman right now(hopefully 2 with Fredrick). I would love to see what JJ Watt could do as a 4-3 end opposite Ware or as the Sapp type tackle on the inside.
TVScout

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it was more like Watt with the #9 then trade #40 and #71 for Gabe.
matt79511

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, moving down, picking up Jacksonville's second, and taking a different OT was probably the right call (ignoring Watt). It's just that that tackle was Nate Solder, not Carimi or Costanzo.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TVScout wrote:
For me it was more like Watt with the #9 then trade #40 and #71 for Gabe.

That would have made me a very happy man.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 78, 79, 80, 81  Next
Page 79 of 81

Jump to: