Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Brandon Kaufman - WR - Eastern Washington University
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GBPACKMAN4LIFE

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Brandon Kaufman - WR - Eastern Washington University Reply with quote

...is a beast.

I am a senior reporter for "The Easterner" at Eastern Washington University and covered the Eagles' 2012 football season in which they made the final four teams in the FCS playoffs but unfortunately lost to eventual runner-up Sam Houston State. I had an up close look at junior WR Brandon Kaufman, who broke the all-time FCS record for yards in a single season, finishing with 1850 yards and 16 TD on 93 receptions.

In three playoff games, Kaufman averaged 193+ receiving yards/game versus Wagner, Illinois State, and Sam Houston State. Here were his game logs:

vs. Wagner - 10 rec, 174 yds, 0 TD, 47 long
vs. Illinois St. - 9 rec, 191 yds, 3 TD, 76 long
vs. Sam Houston St. - 9 rec, 215 yds, 3 TD, 60 long

Kaufman is listed at 6'5", 215 lbs. Here is his EWU athletics page.

Some playoff highlights:

(vs. Sam Houston St.)
22 yd TD catch, breaking all-time single-season FCS receiving record
43 yd TD catch, wrestles ball away from defender in EZ
60 yd catch, gets a 8-yard slant and breaks about 6 tackles. Serious HEART.
33 yd TD catch, gets between the CB and S

(vs. Illinois St.)
47 yard TD catch, Kaufman beats CB and S deep
76 yard TD catch, pulls a Randy Moss on his defender, then beats him to the EZ

(vs. Wagner)
45 yard catch, another quick slant that he turns into big yardage
47 yard catch, initially looks like a drop but great concentration and he hauls it in
3 yard 2 pt conv., quick slant, leaves defender in dust

Versus Idaho and WSU in 2012, Kaufman totaled 5/148/0 and 5/142/2, respectively. Here are some highlights vs. Idaho.

Here is a catch where Kaufman kicks it to himself in the endzone for a TD. Friggin' ridiculous.

I've interviewed Brandon a few times and I always come away impressed. He is extremely soft-spoken and humble, effusively praising others as opposed to himself. In the playoffs, when asked how he was able to be so dominant, he talked about the seniors and how he was digging deep within himself to leave absolutely everything on the field for them. Motivation for BK is not an issue. Character for BK is not an issue.

He is an above average run blocker, walls off defenders with ease and occasionally will drive his defenders. Could use some bulking up, and I don't think he'd lose his long speed. Once he gets the ball in his hands he is extremely difficult to take down.

Has a little bit of an injury history; played only four games in 2011 before breaking a metacarpal in his left hand. Also, had surgery shortly thereafter on his knee to repair nagging injury from 2010 season. In 2011 season opener @ UW, Kaufman totaled 10 receptions for 140 yards.

Kaufman has decided to forego his senior year at EWU and declare for the 2013 NFL draft. Via JoshBDraft, Kaufman was not given a top three round grade.

I think he's a 4th-5th round pick right now that could move up slightly if he tests well at the combine. He is faster than he is quick but still does have good short range speed.

Ernest Hemingway wrote:
My aim is to put down on paper what I see and what I feel in the best and simplest way.

Last edited by GBPACKMAN4LIFE on Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
goldfishwars

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That field is worse than Boise.
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GBPACKMAN4LIFE, good write-up. Thanks for posting!

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
ark23

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was his QB Padron, the SMU transfer, for most of the year?

His height and ball skills are intriguing but he doesn't have great burst off the line or long speed. Will he be able to get separation at the next level is the big question.
GBPACKMAN4LIFE

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ark23 wrote:
Was his QB Padron, the SMU transfer, for most of the year?

His height and ball skills are intriguing but he doesn't have great burst off the line or long speed. Will he be able to get separation at the next level is the big question.

It was a really interesting QB situation between Padron and RS freshman Vernon Adams. Padron started the first two games and was decent at best. Then, in a surprise move, Adams started the third game and (I believe) started the next 8 or 9 games. But, Adams didn't take every snap in those games; in about half of the games Padron would rotate in based on coach Beau Baldwin's "gut."

Then, Padron had his best performance of the year in the regular season finale at Portland State. Baldwin named him the starter going into the postseason, and he had an unbelievable game versus Illinois St in EWU's second playoff game, tying a postseason record w/ six touchdown passes.

But, in Eastern's last playoff game (in which Kaufman posted a 9/215/3 line), Padron was benched after six (or seven) drives that saw the SMU transfer throw a pick-six and lead zero scoring drives. Adams came in and was unsuccessful for the rest of the first half, and the Eagles went down 35-0.

In the second half, that changed quickly. The Eagles, behind Adams, scored touchdowns on their five first possessions and six of seven, closing the gap to 45-42. Unfortunately, it wasn't enough, and that turned out to be Kaufman's final collegiate game.

Padron is also declaring for the draft this year, an interesting decision after a so-so season. But, I believe that he is worried Adams' improved play would have forced Padron to the bench even more in '13 and depleted his already depleted draft stock further. He has great size and was very productive at SMU and will probably make somebody's 80-man roster, but can't see him getting much further than that.

Really good guy, though. Both he and Adams were each other's biggest cheerleaders throughout the season. If either had any animosity about the situation, they surely did not show it to me or any other media.

Ernest Hemingway wrote:
My aim is to put down on paper what I see and what I feel in the best and simplest way.
popie70

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only saw him play once (against ISU). Thought he had good hands and excellent straight line speed. I use to work with the football team at ISU and know some of those guys he beat and they definitely have excellent speed. The only thing was I didn't see a lot of route variations for him, so I wonder if he has good route running skills.

I could be completely wrong since this is just off one game. But I would think he is a 5th/6th round guy
The Cryptkeeper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Combine and pro day will be huge for him, but that's the case for practically every FCS prospect.
alfalcone

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goldfishwars wrote:

Seconded, I love that the NCAA banned them.
ColumbusCrewzer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alfalcone wrote:
goldfishwars wrote:

Didn't know that but I agree. Way too distracting.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColumbusCrewzer wrote:
alfalcone wrote:
goldfishwars wrote:

Didn't know that but I agree. Way too distracting.

Yes, field and jersey colors have to be different now.
GBPACKMAN4LIFE

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be at Kaufman's pro day on March 6. Kyle Padron will be throwing to Kaufman, Nicholas Edwards, Greg Herd and (possibly) WSU wide receiver Marquess Wilson.

I'll report back with my findings.

Ernest Hemingway wrote:
GBPACKMAN4LIFE

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took this vid of Kaufman jumpin' 35 1/2 inches at the EWU pro day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCO3D7t67bc&feature=youtu.be

Other pro day stats: 4.57 40-yd dash, 4.59 20-yd shuttle, 11.84 60-yd shuttle, 6.83 cone drill

Ernest Hemingway wrote:
LuckIsGOAT

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's going to be a beast
Trailblazers
Canucks
Luck & RG3 fan
RockyDennis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw him play in high school out in Colorado. He wasnt a big time recruit and I believe a knee injury ended his shot at playing at a bigger school. I hope he does well.
PowerElite

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy looks so slow and stiff.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: