Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

So... what happens at quarterback?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What the heck happens at QB?
Michael Vick - Pay him
18%
 18%  [ 11 ]
Nick Foles - New HC will stick with him
47%
 47%  [ 28 ]
Pick #4 - New coach, new era, new QB
13%
 13%  [ 8 ]
Later pick - Competition with expectations to start
20%
 20%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 59

Phire

Location: #FSU #championchip #2012BirdsHoF #2012GoldStnd #YAKtoseIntolerant #Merica #TrollyRangers #Danes
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZ_Eaglesfan wrote:
And another thing I would like to add is that the Eagles are not going to be a playoff team next year. I think Howie knows that we are building for the long run here, not to sell tickets next year. He won't waste his time on a QB that he has no faith in.

Play devil's advocate for a second, what would he do if that QB was Foles?

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Only for the quick and lucky.
ninjapirate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phire wrote:
You can build around Foles then replace him if need be.
But will they take the risk? There's no insurance policy that says there will be a legitimate replacement for Foles, or that we'll be in position to get one.

I believe there are good quarterbacks in EVERY DRAFT.

With pick #4, we can basically choose our guy. I'm not saying that's the best way to do it, nor can I even name a guy we could draft there. I just think it's very realistic for the new coach to kick start a new era with a QB.

what about this very likely scenario.

We over draft a qb in this draft, say geno smith. Foles ends up not being the guy and smith ends up not being the guy. Doesn't that set our franchise back more than drafting a good defensive player and then finding out foles is not the guy?

I don't understand the fascination with new coach new qb, that doesn't have to be a good thing.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Small d = pastry
AZ_Eaglesfan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phire wrote:
AZ_Eaglesfan wrote:
And another thing I would like to add is that the Eagles are not going to be a playoff team next year. I think Howie knows that we are building for the long run here, not to sell tickets next year. He won't waste his time on a QB that he has no faith in.

Play devil's advocate for a second, what would he do if that QB was Foles?

Well if he really didn't believe in Foles after last year (which I don't think is the case) he would have to look for something in free agency or in a trade (ie Smith, Flynn). Obviously these quarterbacks are not franchise leaders, but they are better options for next year and they give us a shot at drafting someone in the 2014 draft that could be special. I just don't see the point in wasting a high draft pick on someone that doesn't seem like a franchise QB. Build a better team so we can plug a real QB in next year.
Phire

Location: #FSU #championchip #2012BirdsHoF #2012GoldStnd #YAKtoseIntolerant #Merica #TrollyRangers #Danes
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjapirate wrote:
Phire wrote:
But will they take the risk? There's no insurance policy that says there will be a legitimate replacement for Foles, or that we'll be in position to get one.

With pick #4, we can basically choose our guy. I'm not saying that's the best way to do it, nor can I even name a guy we could draft there. I just think it's very realistic for the new coach to kick start a new era with a QB.

We over draft a qb in this draft, say geno smith. Foles ends up not being the guy and smith ends up not being the guy. Doesn't that set our franchise back more than drafting a good defensive player and then finding out foles is not the guy?

I don't understand the fascination with new coach new qb, that doesn't have to be a good thing.

I think the fascination with new coach new QB exists in the league, that's why I think it's a likely situation.

I don't see what's unreasonable about a head coaching wanting to rebuild around a QB he likes, not leaving the most important position in football to a previous regime's left overs.

And I agree that it's not always a good thing. Just that it's likely.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Kempes

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phire wrote:

Tom Brady was a sixth round pick so sure, there's a chance we find our new franchise guy in the draft.

For me, I hope we take BPA at #4 and take another project QB in round 3-5. Like ninja said, we can take Geno or whoever at #4 and end up in the exact same position next year.

Last edited by Kempes on Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
ninjapirate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phire wrote:
ninjapirate wrote:
Phire wrote:

I think the fascination with new coach new QB exists in the league, that's why I think it's a likely situation.

I don't see what's unreasonable about a head coaching wanting to rebuild around a QB he likes, not leaving the most important position in football to a previous regime's left overs.

Well I'm sure Nick Foles has been brought up in every interview so far. I don't think the new coach has to be anti-foles.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Small d = pastry
AZ_Eaglesfan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjapirate wrote:
Phire wrote:
ninjapirate wrote:
Phire wrote:

Well I'm sure Nick Foles has been brought up in every interview so far. I don't think the new coach has to be anti-foles.

Another good point. If Howie thinks that Foles is the guy, he would likely wouldn't higher a coach who agrees with that.
Phire

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That could be what turns coaches away.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
baconrad3

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By ninjas logic ...we shouldn't draft a QB at all the next two years cause what if he busts??? Well there's a chance of that happening no matter what...that's the risk you take in the NFL.

Ill put it this way...there's a better chance that Geno doesn't bust than hI'm busting. I think he's gonna be a stud personally...i want him at 4 or Wilson a t 35

#OfficialBlakeBortlesHypeTrain
birdman0069

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baconrad3 wrote:
By ninjas logic ...we shouldn't draft a QB at all the next two years cause what if he busts??? Well there's a chance of that happening no matter what...that's the risk you take in the NFL.

Ill put it this way...there's a better chance that Geno doesn't bust than hI'm busting. I think he's gonna be a stud personally...i want him at 4 or Wilson a t 35

Geno is a project. He does more wrong then he does right. If you draft him and start him week 1, he'll be out of football in 3 years.

Props to Eagles _808 on the sig.
PE, the new poster child for birth control.

Birdman, slowest to 10K
McNabbMcFadden

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick Foles, and a 2nd-3rd round QB will compete.
AZ_Eaglesfan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People, just because some rookies had some incredible success this year doesn't mean that is the norm in the NFL right now. Geno needs time to develop, just like all rookies at his talent level.
ninjapirate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baconrad3 wrote:

No I never said that, I say the quarterbacks in this draft suck. Build up other problem areas this season. Give Foles another chance and if he doesn't work out get your guy in 14 if he does well get foles more help.

I am saying we shouldn't draft a qb so he can be the coaches 'guy'

So why reach at 4 on a kid?

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Small d = pastry
AZ_Eaglesfan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People, just because some rookies had some incredible success this year doesn't mean that is the norm in the NFL right now. Geno needs time to develop, just like all rookies at his talent level.
PhiCelek87

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general, I think the fanbase and ownership are intelligent enough to say, if Foles is given the opportunity and fails that will not be held against the head coach. There is no reason to force the quarterback - NONE. Foles showed enough IMO and in general I believe, the fanabse's opinion to get another look as a starting passer in this league.

If he fails - you take Bridgewater or Murray (who I am admiitedly a bigger fan of than most) or whoever your top QB is when we pick, in a better QB class..

The GM has been given all the credit for the draft - the GM should go into these interviews and say "Nick is our guy next year, Mike is gone, can we work together to rebuild this franchise..." And that should be it.

There is no need to force Geno on this fanbase - contrary to what people believe, the franchise ios capable of growing pains... Let the kid play 16 games behind a real offensive line, with an actual running game and we'll see what he has...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 7 of 26

Jump to: