Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

So... what happens at quarterback?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What the heck happens at QB?
Michael Vick - Pay him
18%
 18%  [ 11 ]
Nick Foles - New HC will stick with him
47%
 47%  [ 28 ]
Pick #4 - New coach, new era, new QB
13%
 13%  [ 8 ]
Later pick - Competition with expectations to start
20%
 20%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 59

baconrad3

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man people sure do have a lot of confidence in Foles.

If we get an offensive minded coach...I highly doubt he's gonna want to roll with Nick and only just draft some crappy mid round QB to provide "competition".

We're going to end up with Geno, Wilson, Barkley, or Dysert this draft. Book it.

If Geno does fall to 4 (which is very plausible)...we should take him and never look back.

#OfficialBlakeBortlesHypeTrain
nlesthought

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't build a team around Foles unless your sure he's the guy, personally i don't see it...you will waste two yrs developing him and getting the necessary parts.

I want the Eagles to grab someone draft/FA just in case we don't see improvement and for competition purposes

Flynn
Alex smith
Henne
3rd round or later

Worse case MV renegotiates to be insurance if he regresses

psn: nlesthought l Peppers90 on the sig

Bird Watch '13 - Placekicker #6 - Alex 'the podiatrist' Henery.
22/27 LNG 51yds; 42 XPs; 1 KOR TD given up.
baconrad3

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nlesthought wrote:
You don't build a team around Foles unless your sure he's the guy, personally i don't see it...you will waste two yrs developing him and getting the necessary parts.

I want the Eagles to grab someone draft/FA just in case we don't see improvement and for competition purposes

Flynn
Alex smith
Henne
3rd round or later

I agree with the first statement.

We're basically gonna just waste an entire year if we just let Foles be the starter by default.

And bringing in some 6th round QB isn't gonna help. Foles will easily beat him out, just because the QB is a 6TH ROUND ROOKIE.

Draft either Geno at 4, or Wilson, (I can't believe I'm saying this) or Barkley in the 2nd. Preferably Wilson, but I wouldn't necessarily throw up if we took Barkley in the 2nd round. Just if we did in the first.

I don't really wanna bring in a FA to compete...Don't want a stop-gap QB. We need to start building around our guy, we just need to find him. Alex Smith would be completely pointless here. He'd be HORRIBLE in Philadelphia. Flynn...I'm not sure. Henne? Hell no. He sucks.

#OfficialBlakeBortlesHypeTrain
nlesthought

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baconrad3 wrote:
nlesthought wrote:

Flynn
Alex smith
Henne
3rd round or later

I agree with the first statement.

We're basically gonna just waste an entire year if we just let Foles be the starter by default.

And bringing in some 6th round QB isn't gonna help. Foles will easily beat him out, just because the QB is a 6TH ROUND ROOKIE.

Draft either Geno at 4, or Wilson, (I can't believe I'm saying this) or Barkley in the 2nd. Preferably Wilson, but I wouldn't necessarily throw up if we took Barkley in the 2nd round. Just if we did in the first.

I don't really wanna bring in a FA to compete...Don't want a stop-gap QB. We need to start building around our guy, we just need to find him. Alex Smith would be completely pointless here. He'd be HORRIBLE in Philadelphia. Flynn...I'm not sure. Henne? Hell no. He sucks.

I only mentioned the FAs for competition and if Foles fails....I'm more worried about coaching of the QB position...if we bring in a quality coaching staff we can turn an avg Qb into a Qb good enough to win big games.

You bring in a totally diff QB from Foles hopefully your other parts can adapt to the Qb change if Foles fails. I don't think you can gamble on a Qb early (1st two rounds*) unless he's penciled in as the starter and you plan on growing with him. The eagles have a roster that needs revamping right now from top to bottom with only a handful of elite QBs you can't go all in (by selecting one early*) and then pulling a Jets/jags two yrs later

*if we happen to trade down in the 1st grab more picks then of course this changes

psn: nlesthought l Peppers90 on the sig

Bird Watch '13 - Placekicker #6 - Alex 'the podiatrist' Henery.
22/27 LNG 51yds; 42 XPs; 1 KOR TD given up.
Phire

Location: #championchip #2012BirdsHoF #2012GoldStnd #YAKtoseIntolerant #Merica #TrollyRangers #Danes #BirdGang
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My problem with the whole "let Foles boom or bust" is that if Foles does bust... it's going to look negatively on our new HC and set this team back years.

What I mean is that the new HC will inherit Nick Foles, thus making it him and his staff's job to develop him. If Foles busts, it was

a) their failure to evaluate him properly
b) their failure to develop him properly

and will they be able to

c) move on fro his properly

All remains to be seen. IMO, if you're the new head coach of the Eagles, you're putting your top 2 favorite QBs on the chalk board 1a and 1b and taking whoever is available at #4.

Not saying it's the best thing to do, but the most likely.

theuntouchable wrote:
Think about this phire. I am the real chow.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Only for the quick and lucky.

Danish proverb 3:69
birdman0069

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foles is already as good or better then all the QB's coming out this with the exception of maybe Geno. And that's a big maybe. None of this years class would have been takin in the 1st if they had come out last year.
3-4 years from now, I expect 1-2 of these to still be in the league and only in a back-up role. These guys just aren't very good and to draft one of them just because they are the best this year or because there name isn't Foles, isn't good enough.

Props to Eagles _808 on the sig.
PE, the new poster child for birth control.

Birdman, slowest to 10K
Eagles Watch-Brandon Boykin
5 tackles, 2 Asst., 2 Pass defended, 1 Int.
0 KO return, yards
RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Moore, David Garrard, maybe Flynn or A.Smith get's fired, you bring 1 in and let him compete with Foles. If Foles loses you're almost guaranteed to be looking at drafting a guy very early in 2014, and you should have a pretty high pick as well.

That's my hope, and I hope the new HC shares that line of thought.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baconrad3 wrote:
Man people sure do have a lot of confidence in Foles.

If we get an offensive minded coach...I highly doubt he's gonna want to roll with Nick and only just draft some crappy mid round QB to provide "competition".

We're going to end up with Geno, Wilson, Barkley, or Dysert this draft. Book it.

If Geno does fall to 4 (which is very plausible)...we should take him and never look back.

My thoughts exactly.
marky_b27

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Geno falls to #4 we should rob whichever poor franchise offers us the most for him.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Marky > Foles
birdman0069

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marky_b27 wrote:
If Geno falls to #4 we should rob whichever poor franchise offers us the most for him.

This!

Props to Eagles _808 on the sig.
PE, the new poster child for birth control.

Birdman, slowest to 10K
Eagles Watch-Brandon Boykin
5 tackles, 2 Asst., 2 Pass defended, 1 Int.
0 KO return, yards
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eagles_808 wrote:
If anyone votes to pay Vick, go ahead and dismiss yourself from this forum. Thanks.

I honestly think we try to get Foles some help (o-line, TE, big WR, commit to the run game....
This wail could come from Bears country as well. Laughing
ninjapirate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why can't you start to build a team around foles and then replace him if need be?

The other qb can't benefit from a good defense? A good oline? Better receivers?

That makes no sense.

Plus regardless of who the coach is, the gm did draft Foles. People seem to think that won't matter, especially if we hire a lesser coach with little control. Why would Howie give up on his own guy if he doesn't rate any of the qbs highly in this draft?

Thanks Kilty
RainbowCarebear wrote:
Al Davis is died
AZ_Eaglesfan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

birdman0069 wrote:
Foles is already as good or better then all the QB's coming out this with the exception of maybe Geno. And that's a big maybe. None of this years class would have been takin in the 1st if they had come out last year.
3-4 years from now, I expect 1-2 of these to still be in the league and only in a back-up role. These guys just aren't very good and to draft one of them just because they are the best this year or because there name isn't Foles, isn't good enough.

Exactly this. Why would we draft a quarterback this year when there really isn't any real good choice out there. Give Foles a chance, if he is bad we pick high in next years draft and get a QB that will be MUCH better. Geno is the only guy who I think is better then Foles, so why waste our time picking someone who is likely not going to pan out into a franchise QB?
AZ_Eaglesfan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And another thing I would like to add is that the Eagles are not going to be a playoff team next year. I think Howie knows that we are building for the long run here, not to sell tickets next year. He won't waste his time on a QB that he has no faith in.
Phire

Location: #championchip #2012BirdsHoF #2012GoldStnd #YAKtoseIntolerant #Merica #TrollyRangers #Danes #BirdGang
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can build around Foles then replace him if need be.
But will they take the risk? There's no insurance policy that says there will be a legitimate replacement for Foles, or that we'll be in position to get one.

I believe there are good quarterbacks in EVERY DRAFT.

With pick #4, we can basically choose our guy. I'm not saying that's the best way to do it, nor can I even name a guy we could draft there. I just think it's very realistic for the new coach to kick start a new era with a QB.

theuntouchable wrote:
Think about this phire. I am the real chow.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Only for the quick and lucky.

Danish proverb 3:69

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 6 of 26

Jump to: